Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-14-2014   #1
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 116441 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected
Default O達rien Explains What Type Of Quarterback He Wants

Didn't see this posted. If it was, my bad!

O’Brien Explains What Type Of Quarterback He Wants In Houston; LINK

Should settle the nickname debate:

Quote:
Coach O’Brien, or OB as many call him and he admits is his favorite nickname
QB Talk:

Quote:
“This system over the years has had mobile quarterbacks,” O’Brien told In The Loop. “It’s had tall quarterbacks, quarterbacks who were six feet tall, quarterbacks that were six foot five, quarterbacks that have had all different types of skill sets. What you do is you try to look at what’s available to you, what’s already on the team and try to make sure the system fits the skill set of the players.”
Quote:
“I was able to see Blake Bortles up-close because we played Central Florida at Penn State and they beat us. He was a smart player. An accurate passer. A guy that could do a lot of different things. You could tell he was really a student of the game. He’s a good football player.”
The other two O’Brien hasn’t studied much of, just catching a few games on TV over the past couple years.
“I haven’t watched Teddy Bridgewater much at all. I have seen him on TV. An exciting player. A guy that did a great job for Louisville. A guy I can tell is a good football player.”
“Obviously a very exciting player,” O’Brien said of Johnny Manziel. “A guy thats a playmaker that does a lot of great things on the field.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #2
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 3484 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: O達rien Explains What Type Of Quarterback He Wants

this the interview from this morning? seemed pretty vanilla. he said a lot of stuff but really didnt say anything at all.
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #3
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard him make the same statements before , must have been a day or two after the hiring.

As for what's already on the roster , the position is a train wreck .... the QB position played the biggest part in derailing the teams season.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #4
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetexanator View Post
this the interview from this morning? seemed pretty vanilla. he said a lot of stuff but really didnt say anything at all.
Remember, he's a graduate of the Bill Belichick School of CoachSpeak

so I don't expect any earthshaking revelations from his pressers. I wonder how long he's gonna milk the "well, we're still evaluating the players.." schtick.
Not that I blame him. Why tip your hand in the press when you don't have to?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #5
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

FWIW, I think his nickname is actually "Obie" due to how he spelled it in his Brown University yearbook entry.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #6
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I have felt from the beginning that O'Brien will be after Bortles after facing him and knowing his HC so well. I have no idea of what his strategy will be to get him, but that is the QB that I think our coach will want the most.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #7
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 15351 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

LOL, no one here has a clue what he's thinking. He won't hint worth a fart sniff what his plan is. He's about to begin his masterpiece.

Buuut, I did hear the podcast and the sayings about someone who studies early and late in the day and is the best person they can be on and off the field screams Teddy to me.
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-14-2014   #8
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...51#post2285251
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #9
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

whats the QB class look like in 2015 .... Real talk
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #10
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
whats the QB class look like in 2015 .... Real talk
It looks pretty good. Of course, everyone was saying the same thing about this class last year. I'm sure next year it will be the same as usual.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #11
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm convinced we go with Manziel at #1 if he doesn't throw up all over himself during the draft process. And the state of Texas and the rest of the country will go nuts!
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #12
YeaLikeRightNow
Veteran

Rep Power: 650 YeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I'm convinced we go with Manziel at #1 if he doesn't throw up all over himself during the draft process. And the state of Texas and the rest of the country will go nuts!
Just in:

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/53428...m#.UtZdQrRWNKQ
YeaLikeRightNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #13
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeaLikeRightNow View Post
Sounds like a made up story to me...... The Patriots wouldn't engage in talks to trade their backup QB before the playoffs even end. Someone saw a tweet and ran with it.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #14
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
For those, like me, who didn't know much about Mallett here's his Wiki page... Link

and then there's this...
Quote:
Although Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett refused to address questions from the media about alleged drug use at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis -- after dodging several queries, Mallett abruptly ended his press conference -- he apparently came clean in interviews with NFL teams.
"One G.M. said Mallett was the first quarterback ever to admit his drug usage to him in interviews, and his willingness to be honest about his past and acknowledge issues is viewed as a positive," according to Pro Football Weekly. "Concerns about his history of use could impact his draft position, though."

Ryan Mallett reportedly has discussed past drug usage with NFL teams. Some teams view this as a positive.
Auburn's Cam Newton and Missouri's Blaine Gabbert are the only two quarterbacks considered top 10 picks in this year's draft. Mallett is generally considered to be in the next tier, along with Washington's Jake Locker, Florida State's Christian Ponder, TCU's Andy Dalton and Nevada's Colin Kaepernick.
In addition to the drug rumors -- Mallett reportedly never tested positive at Arkansas -- his character was sullied by an arrest for public intoxication. Some NFL teams are concerned about Mallett's reputation as a "big party guy," according to PFW.

ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #15
Dishman
Miss Ya Blue

Rep Power: 9556 Dishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm fairly sure this is a crap news source. They've been lampooned quite a bit and most recently were crowing about Jeremy Lin being traded about a month or more back.

Then there's this: http://productforums.google.com/foru...0/UWCcdGRlJEIJ

Pretty sure they just drive traffic to their site and most stories are of little substance.
Dishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #16
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 23251 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Remember, he's a graduate of the Bill Belichick School of CoachSpeak

so I don't expect any earthshaking revelations from his pressers. I wonder how long he's gonna milk the "well, we're still evaluating the players.." schtick.
Not that I blame him. Why tip your hand in the press when you don't have to?
If I hear him say just one more time

"everybody wants to know if your defense will be a 3-4 or a 4-3... but now about 70 percent of the games are played in nickel and dime defense because of the way the type of league that it is."

I'm gonna kill somebody
Old 01-15-2014   #17
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15515 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetexanator View Post
exactly. Blake? Seriously.
Old 01-15-2014   #18
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Regardless of the source, that trade makes a lot of sense. Mallet was O'Brien's choice in that draft, and Mallet has now had two years to study the system. That trade would be the best scenario among the currently possible options.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #19
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98957 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Regardless of the source, that trade makes a lot of sense. Mallet was O'Brien's choice in that draft, and Mallet has now had two years to study the system. That trade would be the best scenario among the currently possible options.
If this really happens Texans are in the drivers seat. Mallet will be a free agent after next season. Why trade for him when you can just wait a year and get him without a trade? NE can get something but with my first comment what can they really get? 3rd rounder if lucky? 4th?

They also have to decide if he is the QB of the future and how long will Brady keep playing.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #20
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 14086 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post

We have 2-3 QBs available at the top of the draft that Im fairly certain could learn the scheme quickly and bring more to the table than Mallett. Tired of trading for backups.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read