Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-14-2014   #21
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Defense (how far behind are we?)

2013 Seahawks had one the top 5 (imo) at least top 10 overall single season defensive performances in NFL history. the seahawks lapped every team in performance, so nobody stacks up to them. this is just listing out what should be pretty obvious.
Old 03-14-2014   #22
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I'm thinking two things here: one we're going to have to have another terrible year to finally let go Smith or that Cubism was pulling the lion's share of strings in bad calls.

Ultimately, hoping the later just so we don't have to suffer another terrible season. Might be worth it though for a FO clean slate.
Sure Cubism was extremely influential back in the 20th century, but to claim that a 100 year old art style is influencing football decisions today is a bit extreme. It certainly influences art today, but that's some Butterfly Effect theory right there.
Old 03-14-2014   #23
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 92841 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I'm thinking two things here: one we're going to have to have another terrible year to finally let go Smith or that Kubiak was pulling the lion's share of strings in bad calls.

Ultimately, hoping the later just so we don't have to suffer another terrible season. Might be worth it though for a FO clean slate.
I am not sure who sold Uncle Bob on the idea that the Texans were just a few players away from a SB, but I think it was clear after last season that was not the case. If they were going to take out the garbage, they should have taken it all out, and that means Smith too. Seems to me like the bird in McNair's ear was Smith, and that is why he is still here.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014   #24
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Look at our draft last year guys:

1. DeAndre Hopkins (WR--Clemson)
2. D.J. Swearinger (S--South Carolina)
3. Brennan Williams (OT--North Carolina)
3. Sam Montgomery (OLB/DE--LSU)
4. Trevardo Williams (LB/DE--UConn)
6. David Quessenberry (OT/OG--San Jose State)
6. Alan Bonner (WR--Jacksonville State)
6. Chris Jones (DT--Bowling Green State)
6. Ryan Griffin (TE--UConn)

Is this not the least productive draft class, in their first year, you have ever seen?
No.

It's not even the least productive draft class in Texan's history.

There are three starters in that draft class: Hopkins, Swearinger... and Chris Jones (who started 12 games and had 6 sacks for the Patriots after we cut him.)

Hopkins had 52 receptions, 802 yards, and 2 TD. That's pretty good. Ryan Griffin played pretty well and there's hope for him for the future. There are still some guys in that draft class who could perform for us: Quessenberry, Trevardo Williams, Bonner.

Now, think about the 2005 draft.

16. Travis Johnson
73. Vernand Morency
114. Jerome Mathis
151. Drew Hodgdon
188. C. C. Brown
227. Kenneth Pettway

Travis Johnson gave us some snaps and Jerome Mathis made some plays on ST. But that's just some fail right there.

Not saying that Rick Smith is doing a great job. But he has drafted a couple of DROY and a DPOY. Let's see what he can do without Kubiak and let's not totally give up on that draft class just yet.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014   #25
honored82
Veteran

Rep Power: 9543 honored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respected

6th Rounder DT Chris Jones did not make the roster. He then moved to Patriots as a starter and played 13 games and had 6 sacks, highest amongst all rookies. That shows how bad our coaching staff was. They cant make the most out of the players.

Also, we have 4 players from last years draft returning from IR. Lets see what they do this year.

3. Brennan Williams (OT--North Carolina)
4. Trevardo Williams (LB/DE--UConn)
6. David Quessenberry (OT/OG--San Jose State)
6. Alan Bonner (WR--Jacksonville State)
and UDFA WR Lemon too
honored82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014   #26
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98526 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by honored82 View Post
6th Rounder DT Chris Jones did not make the roster. He then moved to Patriots as a starter and played 13 games and had 6 sacks, highest amongst all rookies. That shows how bad our coaching staff was. They cant make the most out of the players.
IIRC, we tried to stash Jones on the Practice Squad and Tampa Bay signed him. The last roster spot was between Montgomery and Jones and we were scared someone wold sign Montgomery if we PS'ed him so Jones got the designation.

That might have been the most productive late round in the draft for any one team in recent memory. Chris Jones, Ryan Griffin, and David Quessenberry all in the 6th round. Those guys all have serious potential.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014   #27
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
IIRC, we tried to stash Jones on the Practice Squad and Tampa Bay signed him.
Tampa Bay signed him, cut him, then he was signed by the Pats and became a starter when Wilfork (and maybe some others) went down.
Sponsored links
Old 03-14-2014   #28
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I dunno about you, but it makes me want to drink! Amirite?
I'm in!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014   #29
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
No.

It's not even the least productive draft class in Texan's history.

There are three starters in that draft class: Hopkins, Swearinger... and Chris Jones (who started 12 games and had 6 sacks for the Patriots after we cut him.)

Hopkins had 52 receptions, 802 yards, and 2 TD. That's pretty good. Ryan Griffin played pretty well and there's hope for him for the future. There are still some guys in that draft class who could perform for us: Quessenberry, Trevardo Williams, Bonner.

Not saying that Rick Smith is doing a great job. But he has drafted a couple of DROY and a DPOY. Let's see what he can do without Kubiak and let's not totally give up on that draft class just yet.
I'll be looking to see how quickly we get production from our future later picks, the guys we take between rounds 3, 4, 5, & 6. It just doesn't make sense that the rest of the league gets more production out of the guys taken in those rounds than we do... a lot faster.

Of course, this is just the feeling that I get from my very Texans-centric view. But the more I think about it, the more I believe our front office wasn't as cohesive a unit as I thought.
Old 03-14-2014   #30
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
But the more I think about it, the more I believe our front office wasn't as cohesive a unit as I thought.
I think when they started losing fingers started being pointed.

I definitely think they were split on many things. They are humans. That's natural. They will have different opinions on how to be successful.

But I think more than anything, it wasn't that Kubiak didn't want certain players and Rick forced them on him, but Kubiak was just slow reacting. Within games, over the course of the season, from year to year...I think Kubiak was far too slow reacting.

Seemed like things had to be clearly apparent before he'd address it. And even then it's like he'd hold on to some things with the stubbornness of a boulder. He had his comfort zone and he was comfortable with it.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014   #31
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 55787 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by _King_ View Post
I think when they started losing fingers started being pointed.

I definitely think they were split on many things. They are humans. That's natural. They will have different opinions on how to be successful.

But I think more than anything, it wasn't that Kubiak didn't want certain players and Rick forced them on him, but Kubiak was just slow reacting. Within games, over the course of the season, from year to year...I think Kubiak was far too slow reacting.

Seemed like things had to be clearly apparent before he'd address it. And even then it's like he'd hold on to some things with the stubbornness of a boulder. He had his comfort zone and he was comfortable with it.
Where do you get this? Hasn't all the talk been about the coaches had too much control?
Old 03-14-2014   #32
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'll be looking to see how quickly we get production from our future later picks, the guys we take between rounds 3, 4, 5, & 6. It just doesn't make sense that the rest of the league gets more production out of the guys taken in those rounds than we do... a lot faster.

Of course, this is just the feeling that I get from my very Texans-centric view. But the more I think about it, the more I believe our front office wasn't as cohesive a unit as I thought.
And I think that's the issue. You're judging the Texans against what you WANT to happen and what you HOPE will happen. The rest of the league isn't getting this huge production out of the people picked in that range. Sure, you will find guys that do produce that are picked in that range but no matter what team you choose, you can find years where the entire draft was a fail.

The Patriots are a great team, but they had this draft in 2008:
10 - Jerod Mayo (granted a pro bowler)
62 - Terrence Wheatley (12 games)
78 - Shawn Crable (6 games)
94 - Kevin O'Connell (2 games)
129 - Jonathan Wilhite (53 games, started 15 games but a backup)
153 - Matt Slater (87 games, started 3 games in 2011, only has 46 passes caught in his career and they were all in 2011)
197 - Bo Ruud (0 games)

Pick a team and you'll find that there's not as much success drafting as you might suspect.

We've been really lucky with some of the UDFAs and late round production that we've gotten.
Old 03-14-2014   #33
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 357040 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Where do you get this? Hasn't all the talk been about the coaches had too much control?
People are creating their own plots. Watch 6 mos. from now they will have become fact.
Old 03-14-2014   #34
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6986 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
I am not sure who sold Uncle Bob on the idea that the Texans were just a few players away from a SB, but I think it was clear after last season that was not the case. If they were going to take out the garbage, they should have taken it all out, and that means Smith too. Seems to me like the bird in McNair's ear was Smith, and that is why he is still here.
Lets not re-write history, it wasn't just "someone" selling Uncle Bob on the Texans going into last season as a superbowl contender. It was the players, the fans, the media, other coaches, etc that thought that.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014   #35
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
People are creating their own plots. Watch 6 mos. from now they will have become fact.

If we don't draft an OG, ,or OT in the first three rounds, & we start the season with Ben Jones filling our need at OG & Quessenberry filling our need at RT.... and Brandon Harris is our starting Nickel... & playing very well at that... I know what I'll be saying.
Old 03-14-2014   #36
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
Lets not re-write history, it wasn't just "someone" selling Uncle Bob on the Texans going into last season as a superbowl contender. It was the players, the fans, the media, other coaches, etc that thought that.
I thought that.
Old 03-14-2014   #37
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 55787 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
I think he was talking about McNairs comments right after the season that we were close, not prior to last season.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read