Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 445617 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Russell Wilson

Time for Russell Wilson to have his own thread...

...and for the Seahawks to start paying:

Agent's Take: What Russell Wilson's blockbuster deal will look like
By Joel Corry | Former Sports Agent
Quote:
Objectively, the data suggests that a contract averaging in the $24 million per year neighborhood with $65 million in guarantees and slightly over $73 million in the first three new years is appropriate for Wilson. Seattle has preferred four-year deals or extensions in recent years. Cliff Avril, Bennett, Kam Chancellor, Lynch, Sherman, Thomas, Max Unger and K.J. Wright signed for this length of time. A five- or six-year extension may be in order for Wilson to mirror the length of most lucrative quarterback deals.

Thomas and Sherman's structure suggests that Wilson should receive a $20 million to $25 million signing bonus. Wilson earned the fourth year "proven performance" escalator for third- through seventh-round picks under the 2011 Collective Bargaining Agreement's rookie wage scale. His 2015 salary increases to the lowest restricted free agent tender since he hit the 35 percent offensive playtime mark in two of his first three seasons. If the 2015 salary cap is $142 million, the lowest restricted free agent tender will be $1.528 million. Wilson's 2015 base salary will likely equal whatever the final number is because that would be consistent with their deals.

The effect on Seattle's salary cap

Schneider acknowledged Jan. 28 at Super Bowl media day that a new Wilson pact would present roster challenges the team hasn't faced before with Wilson under his rookie contract. Wilson's 2015 cap number shouldn't be more than $6.75 million with the new deal. The bigger impact will begin taking place in 2016 when Wilson starts having large cap numbers...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 465757 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Russell Wilson

I know the jury is still on out Wilson, and he's got a great defense and running game, but I'm coming to the opinion that if he's not "elite", he's right below it. Personally, I think when it's all said and done - and Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers retire - Wilson will be on the short list of active QBs considered "elite".

Yeah, the game manager tag gets thrown around, but all QBs are game managers. Wilson has game beyond that, though, both cerebral, athletic, and that clutch thing that the great ones possess.

Dude is currently 10-0 against QBs who have won Super Bowls. Yeah, he's on a great team, but if he did not rise to the same level, they'd be held back by their QB instead of him being a big part of their on-going success.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 332342 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I know the jury is still on out Wilson, and he's got a great defense and running game, but I'm coming to the opinion that if he's not "elite", he's right below it. Personally, I think when it's all said and done - and Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers retire - Wilson will be on the short list of active QBs considered "elite".

Yeah, the game manager tag gets thrown around, but all QBs are game managers. Wilson has game beyond that, though, both cerebral, athletic, and that clutch thing that the great ones possess.

Dude is currently 10-0 against QBs who have won Super Bowls. Yeah, he's on a great team, but if he did not rise to the same level, they'd be held back by their QB instead of him being a big part of their on-going success.
Especially if they win this Super Bowl, I'm on board with the elite tag. He does it in a slightly different way, but the man makes plays when the game is on the line, he approaches the game from a mental standpoint that is paralleled by few, and despite the "running QB" tag, he does it in a way that emphasizes the passing game first. The only thing not elite about him is his height.

And he might be my favorite QB to watch, irrespective of team.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 483370 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Especially if they win this Super Bowl, I'm on board with the elite tag. He does it in a slightly different way, but the man makes plays when the game is on the line, he approaches the game from a mental standpoint that is paralleled by few, and despite the "running QB" tag, he does it in a way that emphasizes the passing game first. The only thing not elite about him is his height.
What they said.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 465757 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post

And he might be my favorite QB to watch, irrespective of team.
I agree, man. And he seems like a really good guy, both as a representative of the league and just in general. Every interview I see with him he comes across as honest, smart, and humble.

He's a "running QB" like Roger Staubach was a running QB. He possesses the athletic ability and understanding of the game to take those opportunities when presented, but he does it when required and then quickly gets himself out of bounds before the big hits. But, more often than not, he scrambles receivers open like Staubach used to do. He'll run 30 yards behind the LOS to get a receiver open, then nail the pass.

And the last game vs. the Packers, in spite of his worst performance, he never quit. His team never quit. They believed in him, even when their chances of winning were at 0.01%. That says a lot about the guy as a leader, and when a dude can inspire the rest of the team to achieve great things, there is an intangible quality involved that is immeasurable.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 191236 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree, man. And he seems like a really good guy, both as a representative of the league and just in general. Every interview I see with him he comes across as honest, smart, and humble.

He's a "running QB" like Roger Staubach was a running QB. He possesses the athletic ability and understanding of the game to take those opportunities when presented, but he does it when required and then quickly gets himself out of bounds before the big hits. But, more often than not, he scrambles receivers open like Staubach used to do. He'll run 30 yards behind the LOS to get a receiver open, then nail the pass.

And the last game vs. the Packers, in spite of his worst performance, he never quit. His team never quit. They believed in him, even when their chances of winning were at 0.01%. That says a lot about the guy as a leader, and when a dude can inspire the rest of the team to achieve great things, there is an intangible quality involved that is immeasurable.

Someday (crossing fingers and toes), we'll have a QB like that on the Texans
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I hope so, man. This city has never had a QB with those qualities. Almost had one with Steve McNair, but we know how that worked out.

I know the Texans have needs, like most teams, but it really feels like they are a good QB away from being contenders right now. Damn I wish football season wasn't another 7 months away...
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 483370 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
I hope so, man. This city has never had a QB with those qualities. Almost had one with Steve McNair, but we know how that worked out.

I know the Texans have needs, like most teams, but it really feels like they are a good QB away from being contenders right now. Damn I wish football season wasn't another 7 months away...
According to some, the Texans wouldn't have won any more games with Wilson instead of Fitzy.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9
austins23
All Pro

Section: GridIron 525
Rep Power: 27200 austins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
According to some, the Texans wouldn't have won any more games with Wilson instead of Fitzy.
Sure he would have. I sense your sarcasm, but it's an interesting "what if."

IMO, Wilson beats/wins the Cowboys game and the Steelers game.

And maybe even the Colts home game.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #10
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 445617 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...in spite of his worst performance, he never quit. His team never quit. They believed in him, even when their chances of winning were at 0.01%. ...there is an intangible quality involved that is immeasurable.
Russell Wilson's visualization game is off the charts. We've all as kids played the, "If he makes this pass/kick/catch he's champion of the world" game. He practices it daily. He projects winning onto himself, visualizes specific plays/responses/how he'll win the play. Wilson told Bevell he was going to check the play and throw that TD to Kearse vs. GB. Has a great forgetter -- 4 INTs -- and good habits.

The power of intention.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #11
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 191236 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
yeah, and when the men in white jackets catch those some they won't be allowed to post any more...

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #12
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
I have no doubt that this Texans team would be regularly competing in the AFC Championship game with Wilson at QB. Definitely would be a yearly playoff team, and probably consistent AFC central division champ. No doubt that this Texans team with Wilson is better than Luck's Colts.

And it doesn't really matter what the naysayers have to say about it. I try to think from the perspective of history and actual analysis of what players have done, not biased projections or emotional opinions.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #13
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
I have no doubt that this Texans team would be regularly competing in the AFC Championship game with Wilson at QB. Definitely would be a yearly playoff team, and probably consistent AFC central division champ. No doubt that this Texans team with Wilson is better than Luck's Colts.

And it doesn't really matter what the naysayers have to say about it. I try to think from the perspective of history and actual analysis of what players have done, not biased projections or emotional opinions.
Unfortunately for us, the same could be said if we'd had any of a number of different healthy qb's
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #14
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66005 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

And Wilson does not have elite receivers either.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #15
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
yep, this is going to be the first year in a long time that there aren't any "great" receivers for either team
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #16
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66005 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
yep, this is going to be the first year in a long time that there aren't any "great" receivers for either team
Both QB's make their receivers better at their positions.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #17
Lucky

Rep Power: 268705 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's a great point. Critics like to point out the Seattle defense, and Lynch. But Wilson has never had a true #1 WR. I don't think he has what would be described as a legit #2 WR, now. And the Seahawks running attack, with Lynch, was average at best before Wilson showed up. Russell Wilson is the straw that stirs the drink in Seattle.

I underestimated Wilson coming out of college. Not because of his production. That was there. Not because of his skills. They were evident. It was because of his size. I didn't think a 5'10" QB could make it in the NFL. I'll never make that assumption again.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #18
austins23
All Pro

Section: GridIron 525
Rep Power: 27200 austins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He doesn't have a Gronk or a Jimmy Graham either.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 364755 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Time for Russell Wilson to have his own thread...

...and for the Seahawks to start paying:

Agent's Take: What Russell Wilson's blockbuster deal will look like
By Joel Corry | Former Sports Agent
Quote:
Objectively, the data suggests that a contract averaging in the $24 million per year neighborhood with $65 million in guarantees and slightly over $73 million in the first three new years is appropriate for Wilson.

I love Russell Wilson, but I think it would be a mistake to sign him to such a deal.... paying $73 Million in the first three years. Way too much. Even for a Super Bowl winning QB. You're talking something like $20M cap hits in his first three years.

Like I said, love Wilson, respect his game & I believe he's a franchise QB. But Pete Carrol has to find a way to convince Wilson to take less.

If he won't, he's got to be willing to let him go.

I know Pete Carroll remembers what it was like before Wilson, I'm sure he doesn't want to go back there, but they've already won a Super Bowl, if they win another, odds are against them winning a third with Wilson. It could happen... but I wouldn't do it.

I know the way the NFL is & I know they'll more than likely sign him to a contract very similar to what is posted in that article. I'm just saying I wouldn't. I'd be willing to let him go for that kind of money. Possibly even trade him if I could.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #20
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I love Russell Wilson, but I think it would be a mistake to sign him to such a deal.... paying $73 Million in the first three years. Way too much. Even for a Super Bowl winning QB. You're talking something like $20M cap hits in his first three years.

Like I said, love Wilson, respect his game & I believe he's a franchise QB. But Pete Carrol has to find a way to convince Wilson to take less.

If he won't, he's got to be willing to let him go.

I know Pete Carroll remembers what it was like before Wilson, I'm sure he doesn't want to go back there, but they've already won a Super Bowl, if they win another, odds are against them winning a third with Wilson. It could happen... but I wouldn't do it.

I know the way the NFL is & I know they'll more than likely sign him to a contract very similar to what is posted in that article. I'm just saying I wouldn't. I'd be willing to let him go for that kind of money. Possibly even trade him if I could.
This would be number four for Brady.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read