Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-10-2014   #21
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: bah007 Pre Free Agency Mock (3 rounds)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
With the likely departure of Earl Mitchell and Antonio Smith, the changing philosophy, and the overall lack of depth last year, it's looking like we may need to draft two or more defensive lineman in this draft.
Which would be OK with me. But lets wait and see if they can pick up a NT/DE in FA before we make this call.

This is a big part of the reason that I said this will be a 3 yr turnaround in addition to breaking in a new QB.

Personally I would be for fixing the OL/DL and drafting a couple of talented/troubled guys like Leonard/Crowell/Lyrela in rds 5 thru 7. You would still have holes but you would set a foundation that has never existed since the teams inception.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014   #22
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
after N.O. let two offensive weapons go in Lance Moore and D. Sproles I'm a bit surprised you aren't spending any picks to replace them...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
They have that RB Robinson, I think his name is, that really came on last year, although they are completely different players. They also have Kenny Stills now. I heard they may lose Pierre Thomas and Michael Jenkins as well.
NO loses some skill guys but Brees has always been the one that makes that offense go. As long as he has Graham I don't think it really matters who the skill guys are. They've already gone through plenty since he's been there and he hasn't missed a beat.

I think they need to upgrade that defense and give Ryan some more pieces to work with.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014   #23
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Did you watch Yankey at the Combine? I saw him in some of the drills and he's got very slow feet. He did not look athletic to me at all. I agree his future is at RG, but I don't see RT potential in him at all.
The combine didn't change my perception of him. After studying him I've always thought that he's a RG. Some team may try him at RT out of desperation. I don't think he's likely to stick there long term and will eventually end up at RG regardless.

In a scenario where we go OL in the 3rd I'll take JuWaun James.
Old 03-10-2014   #24
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I could learn to love this draft. Had a 6'5"~6'7" TE found his way in there, I'd love it for sure.
There are a few TEs in this draft that I like but as I was going through this draft I just see so many needs on defense for this team. Our front seven needs an overhaul.
Old 03-10-2014   #25
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I say this every year, but let's not quote the entire mock. Especially a 3 rounder like bah007's. Makes the thread very difficult to read through.

Interested to see what the post FA mock will look like.
Old 03-10-2014   #26
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Which would be OK with me. But lets wait and see if they can pick up a NT/DE in FA before we make this call.

This is a big part of the reason that I said this will be a 3 yr turnaround in addition to breaking in a new QB.

Personally I would be for fixing the OL/DL and drafting a couple of talented/troubled guys like Leonard/Crowell/Lyrela in rds 5 thru 7. You would still have holes but you would set a foundation that has never existed since the teams inception.
Bingo. Nobody else wants to say this out loud but I'm with you. This isn't a playoff team next year, in my estimation. Use our high draft picks in a loaded draft to build a long term foundation instead of trying to make this a quick fix with only a short term plan.
Old 03-11-2014   #27
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Bingo. Nobody else wants to say this out loud but I'm with you. This isn't a playoff team next year, in my estimation. Use our high draft picks in a loaded draft to build a long term foundation instead of trying to make this a quick fix with only a short term plan.
I'm #3 on this motion. I think this is a minimum of 2 yrs. and more likely 3 yrs. in the turn around/rebuild. The offense has holes at very key positions, QB, OT at a minimum, and possibly OG and TE, while the defense needs to be rebuilt for Crennels 2 gap style of 3-4 that I assume he's running as base. Also if we get the expected comp. picks I really hope Smith uses our own 5,6,and 7th rounders to go after an additional 3rd or 4th round pick. I see the draft as:

1. Teddy Bridgewater-QB
2. Best defensive front 7 player (DT or LB) unless one of the top OT's falls to us.
3. JaWaun James-OT, as much as I'd like to wait til 4.1 for him, we just can't take that chance.
4-7. Best available defensive players in each round since every defensive position is a position of need.

I also wonder if O'Brien will try to lean the draft heavily on one side of the ball or the other, trying to fix one side while doing a patchwork on the other side realizing that we have more needs than picks. Or will he try to make it a balanced draft between the offense and defense, doing a patchwork on both sides.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-11-2014   #28
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

If the draft played out like that, id have a hard time passing Amaro at 2.1. I feel since the gm drafted quess and williams,one will be the rt and the other the swing tackle.
My fight has been marcus smith. I think he the best olb pass rusher in the draft. He's very comfortable standing and dropping. I have him mid 2nd to mid 3rd. The texans might just have to take him at 3.1 and get either sims,mcgill,james,or mccullers at 4.

Great job op
Old 03-11-2014   #29
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Whether it's a play-off team or not, I believe we should use our draft picks to put the best possible talent on the team. It should be a system, a method that doesn't change for short term gains, it should be a process.
Old 03-11-2014   #30
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by _King_ View Post
Maybe I'm blind, but I do not see Manziel...

Edit: NVM...See him now...
This is interesting. I wasn't even paying attention to JFF. I told my friends a week ago I believe Manziel is going to Cincy at 24 or Cleveland at 26. It's cool to see I'm not the only person thinking he drops that far.

I have my Texans mock and in it I don't have an OT being drafted until the 5th. There are TOO many tackles in FA this year. I have no doubt the Texans make a move on one of them. Hopefully signed before next Monday.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014   #31
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98526 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Texans:

#1. Teddy Bridgewater – QB, Louisville, 6-2 214

#2. Morgan Moses – RT, Virginia, 6-6 314

#3. Yawin Smallwood – ILB, Connecticut, 6-2 246

#4. Jeremiah Attaochu – OLB, Georgia Tech, 6-3 252

#5. Phillip Gaines, CB – Rice, 6-0 193

#5 (comp). Wesley Johnson – OG, Vanderbilt, 6-5 297

#6. Zach Kerr – NT, Delaware, 6-1 326

#7. Tim Cornett – RB, UNLV, 6-0 209

#7 (comp). Jeoffrey Pagan – DE, Alabama, 6-3 310
Wouldn't have a problem with this draft at all. There are lots of contributors here. I'd like to see DL addressed earlier although I really like Kerr as a developmental prospect.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read