Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 07-18-2005   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default College's top 5 rivalry

Quote:
Florida-Florida State has grown into perhaps the pre-eminent college football rivalry of this era. Here are the Times' Top 5 rivalries in college football history.
http://www.sptimes.com/News/111800/S...ollege_f.shtml

published in 2000..

safe to say OKlahoma-Texas beats out UT-tamu now

looking back .. i would think miami-FSu would be ranked higher than some of these

Last edited by Wolf; 07-18-2005 at 11:28 PM.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005   #2
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quite frankly I dont even find FSU-MIA that big of a rivalry. I mean the games have only been decent the past few years.

I agree that its a toss-up with the OU-UT and UT-TAMU.
Texas_Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005   #3
ColdSteelBlue
Veteran

In the old South west conf. UT / Arkansas was a good rivalry
Old 07-19-2005   #4
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Texas has a 72-34-5 record against the Aggies. If you tossed out the one great decade the Aggies enjoyed over the Longhorns ('84-'94), it'd get insanely lopsided.

Texas/A&M is nowhere near Texas/OU in terms of football. Being a "rival school", yes. Their status of being the two prominent schools in the State of Texas make them so. But they are not good football rivals.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005   #5
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
Texas/A&M is nowhere near Texas/OU in terms of football. Being a "rival school", yes. Their status of being the two prominent schools in the State of Texas make them so. But they are not good football rivals.
I tend to agree with Huge. The rival status with OU seems like a much bigger yearly event for Texas. As for the rest listed, those rivalries are huge ... and to think it's been going on for over 100 years.
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005   #6
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

This must have been the funnest game ever to watch!

Quote:
DID YOU KNOW?: The 1950 meeting could be dubbed The Worst Game. Playing in a snowstorm, Michigan won 9-3 in a game that featured 45 punts, many on first down to avoid fumbling. Michigan didn't register a first down, but the Wolverines recorded a safety and touchdown on blocked punts to pull it out.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

There are tons of great rivalries around the country. Ole Miss and Mississippi St have played in the Egg Bowl every year since 1926. I've gone to a few of them after a fine day of good eats on campus at the grove. It's a big event each year in the South.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-21-2005   #8
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

OSU-Michigan owns all.

I'm a Badger fan, but that rivalry is the craziest one in the business.
Old 07-21-2005   #9
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngstown Colt
OSU-Michigan owns all.

I'm a Badger fan, but that rivalry is the craziest one in the business.
We win- we riot in victory.

We lose- we riot in defeat.

A few years ago, ESPN rated OSU v MI the #1 sports rivalry

These southerners doesn't understand!
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005   #10
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX
We win- we riot in victory.

We lose- we riot in defeat.

A few years ago, ESPN rated OSU v MI the #1 sports rivalry

These southerners doesn't understand!
Haha, either way, a Mazda is getting burned
Old 07-21-2005   #11
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Anything above Army/Navy is a homer pick.
Old 07-21-2005   #12
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

Quote:
DID YOU KNOW?: The 1950 meeting could be dubbed The Worst Game. Playing in a snowstorm, Michigan won 9-3 in a game that featured 45 punts, many on first down to avoid fumbling. Michigan didn't register a first down, but the Wolverines recorded a safety and touchdown on blocked punts to pull it out.
I'm sure it was crazy. Don't even know how they ever played the game that year. That is the year the Army National Guard came out in tanks and cleared the roads and rescued people stranded in snow drifts over 20' high. It was like that was all over the Great Lakes region per stories relayed by my grandfather. He was stuck in a snow drift for a day or two about a mile from home.
But yes, Colt and Yank and myself must be 's.
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005   #13
Theoridic
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Theoridic

Quote:
Texas has a 72-34-5 record against the Aggies. If you tossed out the one great decade the Aggies enjoyed over the Longhorns ('84-'94), it'd get insanely lopsided.
I guess the time peroid from 1940 to 1974 isn't what made it lopsided, 31 victories. If you take both out the series is alot more even. It is the best rivalry in Texas and a top five in the nation. I guess OU should say that they aren't your rivals since they beat you the past five years straight.

Last edited by Theoridic; 07-21-2005 at 08:55 PM.
Theoridic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005   #14
Huge
Hall of Fame

I would think one of the aspects that make this a great rivalry (and again, it is a great rivalry...just not a great football rivalry) is its longevity (111 games played over 111 years). But when you consider almost 1/3 of A&M's wins (10 wins) came between '84'-'94, that doesn't say much about the other 100 years. That's 24 wins in 100 years.

But because the longevity is important, then you have to include '40-'74 as well as '84-'94. Although I can certainly see why you'd want to toss out Texas' best 35 year run and A&M's 10 year run. Yeah, that's comparable.

However, if I threw out '40-'74 (when Texas went 31-3-1 against A&M), they'd still lead 41-31-4. And that includes your run between '84-'94. Take out that decade (as you suggested), and Texas still has twice as many wins in the series. "A lot more even" but is it "even"?

If you really want to put this "football rivalry" into perspective: Texas has more wins at A&M than A&M does in the entire series.
Old 07-22-2005   #15
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

The Ogre's top 5 list:
1. Auburn/Alabama - The entire state stops breathing for this week, and family feuds get started over this game.
2. Texas/OU - nothing like rival states playing in a "neutral" site every year. Seeing a sea of red on one side of the stadium and a sea of burnt orange on the other is just surreal.
3. Michigan/OSU - so many great games. So many titles decided by this game.
4. UCLA/USC - Instead of the Jets and the Sharks, this is a totally different Westside story. One of the two gangs gets bragging rights in LA.
5. Army/Navy - Since other nations cannot take on our military, we have to fight amongst ourselves to see who is the best. Hey even Magnum PI got into this game.

Honorable mention: Princeton/Yale and Southern/Grambling

I went to UT when A&M was kicking our tails every year. We beat OU 4 years in a row (Peter G. was the QB then). I still told all of my friends that OU was a bigger game for us than A&M. They looked at me like I was an alien. Now they just look silly arguing that fact.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005   #16
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
The Ogre's top 5 list:
1. Auburn/Alabama - The entire state stops breathing for this week, and family feuds get started over this game.

Spent the first 31 years of my life on the Gulf Coast of Alabama ..... EVERYTHING in the state stops for 3 hours once a year .........
chuckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005   #17
bayshorebevo
Veteran

i agree with the ogre's top 3 in that order. the alabama/auburn rivalry is the only game in town & it's year round. ut/ou & mich/osu are pretty close.
bayshorebevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005   #18
Rovator
Veteran

A&M-UT has been pretty close if you take away the post-WWII years until A&M changed from an All-male, all-corps school to a normal enrollment school in the 60's or 70's. Yeah, UT currently has a 5-game streak, but A&M had a long streek as well, not to mention UT currently has a streak of the same length to OU.

Anyways, it should be one hell of a game this fall, for the first time in a while I can see it going either way.
Rovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005   #19
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default Huge is on top of it!

I would have to agree with Huge. Army-Navy has to be the biggest rivalry. Tradition, along with true sportsmanship before and after the game. Next would have to be OSU-Michigan. I lived in Columbus and its not a nice place to be if they lose to Michigan or if your wearing a Michigan shirt, ANYTIME OF THE YEAR. Texas-OU third. Who cares how many other games are won, just win that one. USC-Notre Dame is always a great game also. Sunshine boys against the Golden Domers. Who ever wins, bragging rights until the next beatdown. Regardless, college football brings it in so many ways. Pitt-Penn State used to be a good one, then Paterno ended it with his EGO!
Old 08-01-2005   #20
Huge
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovator
A&M-UT has been pretty close if you take away the post-WWII years until A&M changed from an All-male, all-corps school to a normal enrollment school in the 60's or 70's. Yeah, UT currently has a 5-game streak, but A&M had a long streek as well, not to mention UT currently has a streak of the same length to OU.

Anyways, it should be one hell of a game this fall, for the first time in a while I can see it going either way.
Understand: I'm not undermining your opinion. I'm just really bored and it still feels like the start of the football season is years away.

Like I mentioned earlier, I believe the longevity of the Texas/A&M rivalry is part of what makes it great. Heck, they even lead in with it before each game: [Brent Musberger]"Here we are live at College Station for the 105th meeting between the Texas Longhorns and the Texas A&M Aggies"[/Brent Musberger]

So why would you want to take away all those years pre-WWII? If this rivalry began in 1946 (post WWII), Texas would still have a sizable lead in the series (39-19-1) but it'd only be 59 games old. I understand it'd shed a little better light on A&M but would it be worth it?

Most UT fans recognize the dominance A&M enjoyed from '84-'94. That was their streak. But other than that 10 year stretch when the Ags had streaks of 6 and 4 games, the longest streak they enjoyed outside of that was 3 games. And you have to go all the way back to 1909 to see it.

Meanwhile, Texas has put together the following streaks:

7 games (1894-1901)
4 games ('03-'06)
8 games ('40-'47)
4 games ('52'-55)
10 games ('57-'66)
7 games ('68-'74)
5 games ('00-present)

Any way you slice it, this is easily the most lopsided rivalry that's placed among the top 10 in the country in terms of on the football field (and given the Texas dominance in other sports, I guess any field for that matter).

Seriously, does A&M hold a series lead over Texas in any sport not named archery or cattle judging?

And speaking of Army-Navy, if you want to see an even rivalry, pull up their head-to-head record.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read