Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-07-2014   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default OB's "BIG IS BEAUTIFUL" TEAM: Duane Brown

Not only does it appear that the new OB Texans will be taller, but they will also have more meat on their bones. Duane Brown is no exception.

Quote:
The Texans left tackle is bulking up, healthily, this offseason after going into 2013 lighter than he normally played.

"I lost about 12 to 15 pounds," Brown said on Friday morning after a community event in West University. "I lost a lot of weight last year and I'm off that. So I'm staying pretty big these days. Always eating healthy, just eating more of it."

Brown is listed on the current team roster at 303 pounds. Along with the rest of the Texans last fall, the 2012 All-Pro wasn't pleased with how he performed.

"I set the bar for myself pretty high," Brown said. "I don't think I quite played up to my potential last year."

To that end, the 2-time Pro Bowler said he's hoping to make 2014 the best of his 7-year NFL career.

"I'm trying to make this the best offseason of my career," Brown said. "I want to make next year the best season of my career. We're all trying to do our part to have a succesfull year next year."

Brown has also met with head coach Bill O'Brien, and offensive line coach Paul Dunn. He said the new coaching staff and the players share in the enthusiasm for better things in the coming season. With the weight he'll put back on for 2014, Brown believes he'll improve over 2013.

"I was quicker. I was faster. But on that edge, you have to be able to anchor. I wasn't able to anchor those first couple of games. I think this year I'll be a lot stronger than I was," Brown said.

The added weight in 2014 will be one thing to watch about the left tackle's game. Another aspect which he didn't mention, though, was health. Brown was inactive in Weeks 3 and 4 because of a toe injury he suffered in the Week 2 win over Tennessee. Missing that pair of contests snapped a streak in which he'd started 78 consecutive games.

A toe that's healed, along with playing back at a weight he was accustomed to, are promising developments for a return to form by Brown.
link

Last year I pointed out that without prolonged rest, his toe injury would affect his play throughout the remainder of the season. Many here disclaimed that his turf toe (which was not ever identified as such last season) was a problem later in the season. Hopefully the increase in pushoff weight does not predispose Brown to a recurrence of this injury this season. And hopefully they will fit him with appropriate prophylactic footwear to try to avoid such a re-injury.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: OB's "BIG IS BEAUTIFUL" TEAM: Duane Brown

Sounds more like last year was a weight aberration and he is returning to normal.
Old 03-07-2014   #3
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Sounds more like last year was a weight aberration and he is returning to normal.
His weight and toe problem both played a role. Definitely putting back his weight and possibly more will allow him to return to a more dominating LT. Foot wear should go a long way in trying to insure that his toe is non-contributory this year.
Old 03-07-2014   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
His weight and toe problem both played a role. Definitely putting back his weight and possibly more will allow him to return to a more dominating LT. Foot wear should go a long way in trying to insure that his toe is non-contributory this year.
I wasn't saying it wasn't a good idea. My point was it is more getting back to normal than it is getting bigger. Semantic deal. Your mention of OB Texans makes it seem like it is a philosophical shift. The article doesn't actually say the lower weight last year or increased weight this year were at the team's request.
Old 03-07-2014   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Do we have any idea if O'Brien is going to continue the zone blocking system or if he's going wtih a more traditional man/power blocking scheme? I assume the latter (not sure why), but I have not really heard anything either way.
Old 03-07-2014   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Do we have any idea if O'Brien is going to continue the zone blocking system or if he's going wtih a more traditional man/power blocking scheme? I assume the latter (not sure why), but I have not really heard anything either way.
All indications are ZBS will still be a/the major feature. NE uses it. The first two OL coaches he talked to are known specifically for ZBS, the 1st being the son of the guy credited with inventing it. As you know though, all answers by OB are answered with "we will run a variety of schemes based on the game plan."
Old 03-07-2014   #7
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't know for sure where OB's alleged preference for a big OLine is coming from, but Belichick's OLine up in NE where OB did his NFL coaching is not particularly big and they are known to run some zone stuff.
I remember a couple years ago when the Texans made a big commitment to zone blocking their linemen were to told to slim down, so one would think it's possible Brown is now being advised to bulk up some, or atleast not be too light. Of course I don't know anything specific, just speculating here.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-07-2014   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
All indications are ZBS will still be a/the major feature. NE uses it. The first two OL coaches he talked to are known specifically for ZBS, the 1st being the son of the guy credited with inventing it. As you know though, all answers by OB are answered with "we will run a variety of schemes based on the game plan."
ahh, okay. Thanks for the heads up. Good point about looking at his staff and seeing their histories.

His variety of schemes mentality is going to be an interesting study for all of us Monday morning QBs.
Old 03-07-2014   #9
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I wasn't saying it wasn't a good idea. My point was it is more getting back to normal than it is getting bigger. Semantic deal. Your mention of OB Texans makes it seem like it is a philosophical shift. The article doesn't actually say the lower weight last year or increased weight this year were at the team's request.
OB brought in Fitzgerald for a reason. Fitzgerald has repeatedly said that his philiosophic goals are making players bigger, stronger and more physical. Just like Kubiak directed players to lose or gain weight, most coaching staffs have significant input as to the weights they want their players to maintain.
Old 03-07-2014   #10
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
OB brought in Fitzgerald for a reason. Fitzgerald has repeatedly said that his philiosophic goals are making players bigger, stronger and more physical. Just like Kubiak directed players to lose or gain weight, most coaching staffs have significant input as to the weights they want their players to maintain.
I dunno C&N, maybe he just meant that figuratively speaking. Afterall he couldn't hardly say his philosophy was to make players smaller, weaker, & less physical could he ? And I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, it's just that I wonder if his remarks were really meant in a specific sense ?
Old 03-07-2014   #11
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I dunno C&N, maybe he just meant that figuratively speaking. Afterall he couldn't hardly say his philosophy was to make players smaller, weaker, & less physical could he ? And I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, it's just that I wonder if his remarks were really meant in a specific sense ?
I appreciate what you're saying, but it could be said that the result of the last regimen was exactly that.
Old 03-07-2014   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
That may be the case, but like 'cak said, that article does nothing to make us believe Duane was instructed to gain weight, or that Brown believes the new coaching staff would like him to get bigger... as the title of this thread suggests.

Instead, it appears DB acknowledges that losing weight did not help him the way he thought it would & decided for himself that gaining weight would help improve his game. His goal isn't to get bigger so much as it is to regain his previous girth.
Old 03-07-2014   #13
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
That may be the case, but like 'cak said, that article does nothing to make us believe Duane was instructed to gain weight, or that Brown believes the new coaching staff would like him to get bigger... as the title of this thread suggests.

Instead, it appears DB acknowledges that losing weight did not help him the way he thought it would & decided for himself that gaining weight would help improve his game. His goal isn't to get bigger so much as it is to regain his previous girth.
Girth is not what he lacked or needed. With his weight loss, he lost STRENGTH. He may have come to the same conclusion, but to believe that word didn't filter down to him from the new coaching staff that they wanted him to bulk up is ignoring common sense.
Old 03-07-2014   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Girth is not what he lacked or needed. With his weight loss, he lost STRENGTH. He may have come to the same conclusion, but to believe that word didn't filter down to him from the new coaching staff that they wanted him to bulk up is ignoring common sense.
I believe Duane when he said he's his harshest critic. Not much for reading tea leaves.
Old 03-07-2014   #15
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 393216 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we'll be seeing our roster getting bigger in a number of areas as it turns over.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014   #16
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not only does it appear that the new OB Texans will be taller, but they will also have more meat on their bones. Duane Brown is no exception.

[/b]link

Last year I pointed out that without prolonged rest, his toe injury would affect his play throughout the remainder of the season. Many here disclaimed that his turf toe (which was not ever identified as such last season) was a problem later in the season. Hopefully the increase in pushoff weight does not predispose Brown to a recurrence of this injury this season. And hopefully they will fit him with appropriate prophylactic footwear to try to avoid such a re-injury.
people who dismiss turf toe are people who have never had turf toe. You just don't realize how much weight your big toe absorbs. It was like walking on spikey fire that shoots through your whole body. And I was only 230lb. 300lber? hell no.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014   #17
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 15034 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Turf toe pretty much ended Jonathan Ogdens career

Your man... Pots and pans
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014   #18
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 164570 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I think we'll be seeing our roster getting bigger in a number of areas as it turns over.
When will the roster start to turn over?

Seriously, we haven't cut jack squat. I want blood!
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014   #19
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 104354 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post

I was wondering the same thing, but I assume that once FA starts you will see more moves, but then again, perhaps O'Brien is pretty happy with the roster the way it is with the exception of a few players.

Let's see what happens in 3 1/2 more days.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014   #20
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post

I think we'll be seeing lots and lots of blood letting very soon with FA just a couple days off, because with a new regime and likely significant differences in both the offense and defense, even competent players who's compensation is in line might be released because they don't "fit" athletically/physically and/or
in terms of skill-sets.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read