Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-06-2014   #21
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rumor: Texans interested in Matt Cassell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
At this point I'd have a hard time calling Cassel a lesser talent than Schaub. This isn't 2007-2012 Schaub. This is 2013-2014 Schaub and he's as big a hot mess as you can find under center in the league today.

In a battle of "Who cares about upside" Cassel seems to me to have more than Schaub in 2014. It's just for a year or two at the most and it lets OB prepare a young QB taken this year at his own pace. Worst case he's picks up a guy next year and again there is Cassel to hold it together until that rookie is ready.

I like this plan.
Yep, my thoughts, as well. Heck, I would not be surprised if O'Brien picks up a QB in a later round and lets him ride the bench in order to learn the system and mature. It is certainly not unheard of in the NFL.

I would not scream bloody murder if they keep Schaub. However, I don't think trotting him back out at Reliant in a Texans uniform will be good for his mental state or the general mood of fans. I'll support him as a fan, but I cannot speak, much less control, the thoughts/actions of Texans Nation. I think it would be a rather brutal reception.
Old 03-06-2014   #22
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Yep, my thoughts, as well. Heck, I would not be surprised if O'Brien picks up a QB in a later round and lets him ride the bench in order to learn the system and mature. It is certainly not unheard of in the NFL.

I would not scream bloody murder if they keep Schaub. However, I don't think trotting him back out at Reliant in a Texans uniform will be good for his mental state or the general mood of fans. I'll support him as a fan, but I cannot speak, much less control, the thoughts/actions of Texans Nation. I think it would be a rather brutal reception.
If that happened then I'm thinking that nothing short of a miracle-transformation (that we all know isn't really going to happen) under OB's system would shut fans up. Literally Schaub would have to come out and look for all intents and purposes like a completely different (successful) QB to make that work.

That only happens in movies.

I think that everyone in the Texans brain trust must know that the only way to start a new regime is with that grace period that's given to a new QB (whether he's a rookie or a free agent).
Old 03-06-2014   #23
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If that happened then I'm thinking that nothing short of a miracle-transformation (that we all know isn't really going to happen) under OB's system would shut fans up. Literally Schaub would have to come out and look for all intents and purposes like a completely different (successful) QB to make that work.

That only happens in movies.

I think that everyone in the Texans brain trust must know that the only way to start a new regime is with that grace period that's given to a new QB (whether he's a rookie or a free agent).
I agree and Cassel does look to be the best FA option. Having said that, last year he was barely better than Schaub's crap year. Frankly his performing anything close to the old Schaub was a one year aberration in his career.

I will say this, if OB sticks with Schaub I am going to give him kudos for having huevos grande.
Old 03-06-2014   #24
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

If we sign Cassell, I'm not seeing him as the stop-gap starting QB. I'm seeing him as an extra coach in the QB room.

We draft Bortles or Bridgewater, cut Schaub and possibly Yates and Keenum. And then B/B will be surrounded by guys who already know the system and can bring him up to speed more quickly.

B/B will be starting day 1.

Unless he absolutely suxors.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #25
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131191 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Can we just stay away from QBs that are named Matt? And ones that wear #8?
Old 03-06-2014   #26
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Rep Power: 33633 Troy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Sorry but pass. Cut Schaub and sign Cassel and still spend just as much or more at the QB position for a lesser talent doesn't make any sense.
Schaub has a $10mil base with a $14mil cap hit this year. You can sign Cassel for much less for 2 or 3 years compared to what Schaub was going to cost us. BOB wants his own guys, not who he inherits. I am sure they approached Schaub to ask him about a reduction is base salary but he probably declined.
Troy Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #27
pirbroke
All Pro

Rep Power: 12954 pirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respected

I would think Cassell would be lucky to get half what Schaub is paid this year. Drop Schaub and pick up Cassel, even if it's not a upgrade. Because there is very little chance of this move being a downgrade,
pirbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-06-2014   #28
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirbroke View Post
Because there is very little chance of this move being a downgrade,
2011 he was the same as Schaub last year.
2010 he was significantly worse than Schaub last year.
Old 03-06-2014   #29
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 59860 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I'm cool with Cassell if this is who O'Brien wants for 2014. In O'Brien I trust.

I do not see much upside to drafting a QB this year, especially since none of them are obvious NFL material right now.
I'm not calling you out, DB - in fact, you might be saying that tongue 'n cheek - regardless, I don't understand the mentality floating around the board where so many are putting their trust in Bill O'Brien, as if trust, like respect, doesn't have to be earned.

I get it to an extent. When Kubiak was hired I was all jackboots and armbands over the acquisition; nevertheless, especially after Kubes, I would expect a bit more hesitation before crowning O'Brien King Texan.

Again, I'm just trying to understand. I'm gun shy...and this whole Cassel bit is two steps back for me. But hey, it's early in his tenure.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #30
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

So cassell is garbage every yr except 2 and because he knows a system, its all good? Why didn't reid sign kolb who knew "the system"? Because he can't play. If you want to temper playing a rookie? Ok, I guess,but you might as well restructure schaub and keep him vs a bum like cassel.
Old 03-06-2014   #31
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30799 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
If we sign Cassell, I'm not seeing him as the stop-gap starting QB. I'm seeing him as an extra coach in the QB room.

We draft Bortles or Bridgewater, cut Schaub and possibly Yates and Keenum. And then B/B will be surrounded by guys who already know the system and can bring him up to speed more quickly.

B/B will be starting day 1.

Unless he absolutely suxors.

Thing is, I think McNair (and a lot of fans) are expecting a Kansas City-type turnaround, and may assume the best way to do that is with a more experienced QB.

I just can't see us starting a rookie QB next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #32
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with most here, Cassell would be a good stop gap QB for a year or two while we get our next QB up to speed. I certainly don't have any illusions of Cassell coming in and leading us to glory though.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #33
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
At this point I'd have a hard time calling Cassel a lesser talent than Schaub. This isn't 2007-2012 Schaub. This is 2013-2014 Schaub and he's as big a hot mess as you can find under center in the league today.

In a battle of "Who cares about upside" Cassel seems to me to have more than Schaub in 2014. It's just for a year or two at the most and it lets OB prepare a young QB taken this year at his own pace. Worst case he's picks up a guy next year and again there is Cassel to hold it together until that rookie is ready.

I like this plan.
I understand this thought process, but I don't necessarily agree. I don't think Cassell or Schaub are going to get us anywhere, so in my view they are basically equals. I don't want to eat dead money on Schaub and use what little money we have left on a QB who isn't a significant upgrade. I would rather keep Schaub and have him play the role of mentor/backup to whoever we decide to draft.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #34
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
I'm not calling you out, DB - in fact, you might be saying that tongue 'n cheek - regardless, I don't understand the mentality floating around the board where so many are putting their trust in Bill O'Brien, as if trust, like respect, doesn't have to be earned.

I get it to an extent. When Kubiak was hired I was all jackboots and armbands over the acquisition; nevertheless, especially after Kubes, I would expect a bit more hesitation before crowning O'Brien King Texan.

Again, I'm just trying to understand. I'm gun shy...and this whole Cassel bit is two steps back for me. But hey, it's early in his tenure.
I hear ya', man. In no way do I feel disagreement or different perspectives are calling me out.

I can be an extremely skeptical person by nature. However, since I am only a mere spectator, I figure I'll give O'Brien the same benefit of the doubt that I gave Kubiak and Capers before him....at least in this off-season.

Mainly just because I figure optimism is the only way to keep my sanity at this point as a Texans fan.

TBH, Cassell does not excite me at all. Neither does Schaub, Bridgewater, Manziel, or Bortles. They are 'just another player' until proven otherwise.

Whoever they go with, I'll be rooting for regardless like everyone else. That said, once the games start being played and we can actually analyze something real, then the gloves come off.

The positives are having guys like JJ and Cushing as defensive leaders with a highly respected and proven DC coming in from the beginning of O'Brien's tenure. I'm all about defense, and this gives me a sense that maybe our D can hold the line until the offense gets it figured out.
Old 03-06-2014   #35
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 131049 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

If we can get Cassell and he can avoid throwing 5 pick 6s in 5 consecutive games then he has done a good job. Fact is the kid played well under O'brien, ever think maybe it is our system/coaching that was flawed. Hell look at Keenum before he was "coached" up haha.

I am all for Cassell coming in for a season or two. Hell i would be interested to see what O'Brien can do with Keenum, there i said it.
Old 03-06-2014   #36
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 111406 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

After reading this I have a Schaub question but y'all are talking about OB and keeping Schaub vs signing cassel.

Brady doesn't move much in the NE film. He slides around the pocket, but he doesn't run a ton of bootlegs etc.

If we're not asking Schaub to be the bootleg/playfake QB that we were asking him to be, is there a chance he is significantly better than Cassell? Many people said last year that they knew what schaub was doing because the offense was the same all of the time. If people aren't able to read that... are you better off taking schaub through the end of this year, sitting a young QB and cutting schaub next year?

Your ceiling this year is probably 9 games if you do that (depending on what else you do in the draft) but at least you aren't signing cassell and adding on more dead money when the young kid is ready to start...

Just a thought.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #37
cameronkrazie86
Veteran

Rep Power: 91 cameronkrazie86 is a quality contributor and well respectedcameronkrazie86 is a quality contributor and well respectedcameronkrazie86 is a quality contributor and well respectedcameronkrazie86 is a quality contributor and well respectedcameronkrazie86 is a quality contributor and well respectedcameronkrazie86 is a quality contributor and well respectedcameronkrazie86 is a quality contributor and well respectedcameronkrazie86 is a quality contributor and well respectedcameronkrazie86 is a quality contributor and well respectedcameronkrazie86 is a quality contributor and well respectedcameronkrazie86 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm still hoping for the Texans to take Clowney in the first round and then either Aaron Murray or Zach Mettenberger later in the draft. The potential to have the best defensive line for the next decade is just too appealing for me to turn down.

So with that being said, I wouldn't be opposed to Cassell, it just really depends on how they're going to approach the draft. If they go QB first, I'd rather just cut Schaub and throw the rookie to the fire. If they go Clowney, then a year of Cassell would be cool too. It just sucks there's not a franchise QB that's a "must-take" when there's such a glaring hole for Houston. Just hope the Texans hit the jackpot on whoever they pick 1st.
cameronkrazie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #38
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 109604 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike02 View Post
If we're not asking Schaub to be the bootleg/playfake QB that we were asking him to be, is there a chance he is significantly better than Cassell?
Simply put, Schaub is damaged goods. He's done. Physically and mentally. But I'm sure he'd make a fine coach.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #39
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post

Valid observations and concerns.
The truth is that Kubiak, in spite of his miscalculations and poor judgement when it comes to Matt Schaub, is still in possession of a resume that's far superior to anything O'Brien has done when it comes to QBs.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #40
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
If we can get Cassell and he can avoid throwing 5 pick 6s in 5 consecutive games then he has done a good job. Fact is the kid played well under O'brien, ever think maybe it is our system/coaching that was flawed. Hell look at Keenum before he was "coached" up haha.

I am all for Cassell coming in for a season or two. Hell i would be interested to see what O'Brien can do with Keenum, there i said it.
You're not alone in that camp, I assure you.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read