Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-06-2014   #1
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Rumor: Texans interested in Matt Cassell Re-signs w/Vikings

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...gn=Twitter_atl

When Matt Cassel opted out of his deal with #Vikings, it made him a FA. The interest from his Pats connection Bill O’Brien & #Texans is real
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Old 03-06-2014   #2
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 20242 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rumor: Texans interested in Matt Cassell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...gn=Twitter_atl

When Matt Cassel opted out of his deal with #Vikings, it made him a FA. The interest from his Pats connection Bill O’Brien & #Texans is real
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
I may be one of the few that puts some support behind this. There's no doubt the kid played well under Obie in NE as evidence by his inflated contract in KC after Brady came back. He can be a "stop gap" for us. Take Clowney 1.1, take Garrapolo (sp) 2.1 and pick up Cassel on the cheap for a 1-2 year deal until our rookie develops.

Can't miss plan right there! If Garrapolo isn't there, McCarron looks good too. Either way, a rookie to learn and develop until Obie sees that he is ready. I think with good coaching we could win 10-11 games with Cassel under center and a great supporting cast (which I would argue we already have).
Old 03-06-2014   #3
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 40895 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
I may be one of the few that puts some support behind this. There's no doubt the kid played well under Obie in NE as evidence by his inflated contract in KC after Brady came back. He can be a "stop gap" for us. Take Clowney 1.1, take Garrapolo (sp) 2.1 and pick up Cassel on the cheap for a 1-2 year deal until our rookie develops.

Can't miss plan right there! If Garrapolo isn't there, McCarron looks good too. Either way, a rookie to learn and develop until Obie sees that he is ready. I think with good coaching we could win 10-11 games with Cassel under center and a great supporting cast (which I would argue we already have).
I'm not really between those who want clowney here at all costs, I would be ok with them trading down to 1-4 and pick whichever is left between
clowny/menzel/bridgeh2o/bottles

Old 03-06-2014   #4
pirbroke
All Pro

Rep Power: 12954 pirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respected

I am all for this, I don't want to give up high draft picks with a trade or use a high pick on a QB. if we can get a ok QB in free agency and use the draft picks for Clowney, a OT, and a guard in that order, I will be a happy camper.
pirbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #5
pirbroke
All Pro

Rep Power: 12954 pirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respected

he opted out of 3.7 million, I am not sure if he is chasing more money or a chance to start in a program more fitted for him, I hope the latter.
Old 03-06-2014   #6
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
Sounds like a plan to me.

Also an option that seems to have a lot of good things said about him is Brett Smith.

That would be a damn fine plan to me.
Old 03-06-2014   #7
pirbroke
All Pro

I cant wait for March 11, Free agency to begin. Who Texans pick up will help show the direction of draft.
Sponsored links
Old 03-06-2014   #8
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

O'Brien was the WR coach when Cassel was in New England.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398704 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm cool with Cassell if this is who O'Brien wants for 2014. In O'Brien I trust.

I do not see any of the QBs worth a 1.1 pick in this draft. And the problem is that O'Brien is married to the player if he goes with a QB. The pressure to make him an immediate starter will be immense, and O'Brien's head coaching career would be in a make or break situation based on the fortunes of one player. Minimum 2-3 year learning curve, and by then, if the Texans are not going to the playoffs, it could get ugly around H-town.

I'd rather see a dude like Clowney in this RC defense next to JJ. This gives O'Brien some room to maneuver in finding his QB.

I do not see much upside to drafting a QB this year, especially since none of them are obvious NFL material right now.
Old 03-06-2014   #10
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 109012 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I'm cool with Cassell if this is who O'Brien wants for 2014. In O'Brien I trust.

I do not see any of the QBs worth a 1.1 pick in this draft. And the problem is that O'Brien is married to the player if he goes with a QB. The pressure to make him an immediate starter will be immense, and O'Brien's head coaching career would be in a make or break situation based on the fortunes of one player. Minimum 2-3 year learning curve, and by then, if the Texans are not going to the playoffs, it could get ugly around H-town.

I'd rather see a dude like Clowney in this RC defense next to JJ. This gives O'Brien some room to maneuver in finding his QB.

I do not see much upside to drafting a QB this year, especially since none of them are obvious NFL material right now.
Pretty much. I was sold on Manziel at first, but the more I think it over, I am starting to have my doubts.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #11
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Dan Kadar ‏@MockingTheDraft
Quote:
Is Matt Cassel even better than Matt Schaub?

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo
Quote:
Elsewhere on vet QB front, I'd expect Chad Henne to get some decent play. Wouldn't be shocked if Hou was in on him too. Oak, NYJ as well.

Agree with @RapSheet that Matt Cassel is on the Texans' radar. Connection to O'Brien makes sense. Vikes still in play, of course.

Last edited by Playoffs; 03-06-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #12
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 87851 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

So wait, we are going to cut Schaub to save a few million to turn around and sign Cassell for a few million?

I would rather keep Schaub. Cassell is terrible.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #13
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 108923 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

The purpose may be to sign Cassell as a stop gap and tutor while the draftee develops under him. It's worth it to avoid the risk of ruining a rookie.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #14
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
The purpose may be to sign Cassell as a stop gap and tutor while the draftee develops under him. It's worth it to avoid the risk of ruining a rookie.
I'm having trouble finding the financial "rainbow" in that plan.
Cut Schaub that's 4 - 10 Mil against the 2014 cap
Sign Cassel - who just walked away from a 7-8 mil paycheck to be a F/A - will cost at least 9 mil.
We're getting about the same performance level and you're spending 13-19 mil on that position...
Someone help a brotha out here because that plan doesn't sound like a big win for the Texans from a financial or performance viewpoint.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413120 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Sign Cassel - who just walked away from a 7-8 mil paycheck to be a F/A - will cost at least 9 mil.
Cassel just walked away from $3.7 mil.
Old 03-06-2014   #16
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 108923 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I'm having trouble finding the financial "rainbow" in that plan.
Cut Schaub that's 4 - 10 Mil against the 2014 cap
We're getting about the same performance level and you're spending 13-19 mil on that position...
Someone help a brotha out here because that plan doesn't sound like a big win for the Texans from a financial or performance viewpoint.
Presumably, Cassell is familiar with the system that O'Brien will install. They save money and add relevant experience to the roster.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #17
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 87851 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Presumably, Cassell is familiar with the system that O'Brien will install. They save money and add relevant experience to the roster.
Sorry but pass. Cut Schaub and sign Cassel and still spend just as much or more at the QB position for a lesser talent doesn't make any sense.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #18
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Makes sense they would kick the tyres on someone who might be scheme familiar.

If we are looking for a stop gap starter give me Henne.
Old 03-06-2014   #19
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Sorry but pass. Cut Schaub and sign Cassel and still spend just as much or more at the QB position for a lesser talent doesn't make any sense.
Depends on how much and how long.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #20
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
At this point I'd have a hard time calling Cassel a lesser talent than Schaub. This isn't 2007-2012 Schaub. This is 2013-2014 Schaub and he's as big a hot mess as you can find under center in the league today.

In a battle of "Who cares about upside" Cassel seems to me to have more than Schaub in 2014. It's just for a year or two at the most and it lets OB prepare a young QB taken this year at his own pace. Worst case he's picks up a guy next year and again there is Cassel to hold it together until that rookie is ready.

I like this plan.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read