Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-02-2014   #21
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: 2014 NFL Draft chatter/rumors/news

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
i have a similar thinking towards Ealy. would love him have a top 10 grade on him but does he fit Roc's system?? im inclined to think not.
How would you compare Kony Ealy to Tamba Hali?
Old 03-03-2014   #22
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 192752 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Are we sure Playoffs isn't just some computer algorithm collecting Texans related news?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Perhaps the human manifestation of google?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
I'm with Kiwi on this one. It's a bot.

<3 Playoffs
I'm thinking...

...From the future...

and he's got these links from what are history books for him

but hell, whatever. Keep up the good work!
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #23
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 192752 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Can anyone think of a good use for Aaron Donald at #1?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I would consider him at DE. He has strength to hold up and speed to make him pay.
^^^^
This!

From what I've read, RAC likes his DE's to hold the point of attack, throw off the blocker and make the play.
Someone tell me why Donald could not do these things and fit this defense. Especially in a rotation-type scheme where you want to keep your D-linemen fresh.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #24
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
^^^^
This!

From what I've read, RAC likes his DE's to hold the point of attack, throw off the blocker and make the play.
Someone tell me why Donald could not do these things and fit this defense. Especially in a rotation-type scheme where you want to keep your D-linemen fresh.
Because throughout his entire college career he was using his strength and speed to beat blocks, not hold them. I've watched a ton of tape on him. He's undersized and, as strong as he is for his size, I've seen him get pushed around when he's not shooting gaps. He is not a "hold the point of attack" type of player. He's a "penetrate and attack" type of player.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #25
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Because throughout his entire college career he was using his strength and speed to beat blocks, not hold them. I've watched a ton of tape on him. He's undersized and, as strong as he is for his size, I've seen him get pushed around when he's not shooting gaps. He is not a "hold the point of attack" type of player. He's a "penetrate and attack" type of player.
Which is why ( as crazy as it sounds) he would be a great fit IMO. His athleticism and size make him a fit all over the place. He could play the elephant or DE in passing situations and ILB on running plays. His versatility makes him more valuable. People need to stop thinking of him as just an undersized DL. He could be so much more.
Old 03-03-2014   #26
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Which is why ( as crazy as it sounds) he would be a great fit IMO. His athleticism and size make him a fit all over the place. He could play the elephant or DE in passing situations and ILB on running plays. His versatility makes him more valuable. People need to stop thinking of him as just an undersized DL. He could be so much more.
This is an insane projection based on what he has shown on tape. Could it possibly happen? Yes, possibly. But nothing on his film suggests that. It would be a total shot in the dark.

I really don't understand why people always want to draft these talented players and ask them to do things they haven't done before. Blows my mind.

What is he good at? Using his hands and quickness to shoot gaps and rush the passer from the interior.

What is he bad at? Holding his ground in a gap against a double team.

Seems pretty simple to me what he should be doing. Draft him to do what he's already good at. If it ends up he is good at other things too that's a bonus. But you can't make that part of your analysis when grading him because it's a total guess.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #27
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
i have a similar thinking towards Ealy. would love him have a top 10 grade on him but does he fit Roc's system?? im inclined to think not.
This is another guy people want to pigeon hole onto the DL. Do you not think he is athletic enough to playOLB?
Old 03-03-2014   #28
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52391 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Donald is a GREAT fit for Wade Phillips one gap penetrating attack the football D but not so much for Romeo Crennel's gap control hold your ground D.
Old 03-03-2014   #29
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
How would you compare Kony Ealy to Tamba Hali?
I see Crichton as being a very good version of Hali in RC's defense.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #30
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Donald is a GREAT fit for Wade Phillips one gap penetrating attack the football D but not so much for Romeo Crennel's gap control hold your ground D.
Hmm, we actually agree on something....

- The Immortal Bo
Old 03-03-2014   #31
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
No, it doesn't. His size and skill set restrict him from being an every down player in RC's base scheme. He would purely be a sub package or pass rush situation guy. Is that what you want to do with your 2nd round pick?

It's not versatility when you are pigeon holed into playing him at certain positions on certain downs or in specific situations because he is not a fit for what you do on base downs.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 03-03-2014   #32
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52391 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I see Crichton as being a very good version of Hali in RC's defense.
Crichton is about 30 lbs light to play in Romeo's past Ds. The history of Romeo's DE's have usually been of the 300 lb variety. This is why I eliminated many some very good 260-270 lb DE in the early rounds of my mock draft.

Quote:
Hmm, we actually agree on something....
Unfortunately, I would have loved to see Donald lined up opposite JJ Watt in Wade's D. I believe the two would have wreaked havoc. I think that Donald is the most like Watt of all DL in this draft.
Old 03-03-2014   #33
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
As a DE yes. That's not what I said.

Docs defense

His style is termed the “two-gap 3-4″ defense. At its base, that means you have three lineman with their hands in the dirt, typically two defensive ends that are big and strong enough to take on offensive tackles and tall enough to deter passes by the quarterback in the pocket (think of Tyson Jackson’s prototypical 6’4″, 296 lbs frame), and a humongous, bulky nose tackle that is built for getting low, absorbing punishment and administering immediate push against a hopelessly outsized center (think of Jerrell Powe’s prototypical 6’2″, 331 lbs frame). Then you have four linebackers: two passrushers on the edge (one who is a more one-dimensional pocket assaulter, and the other who is a swiss army knife of abilities), and two in the middle (one who is more of a line of scrimmage attacker, and the other who is more coverage-oriented). This earns Crennel’s defense the “3-4″ moniker, for those who didn’t already know.

Do you guys not think he is athletic enough for the bolded?
Old 03-03-2014   #34
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Crichton is about 30 lbs light to play in Romeo's past Ds. The history of Romeo's DE's have usually been of the 300 lb variety. This is why I eliminated many some very good 260-270 lb DE in the early rounds of my mock draft.
I think he was talking about Crichton at OLB, not DE.

Quote:
Unfortunately, I would have loved to see Donald lined up opposite JJ Watt in Wade's D. I believe the two would have wreaked havoc. I think that Donald is the most like Watt of all DL in this draft.
In our mock draft a while back, beerlover and I mocked Donald to the Texans under the premise that they would still be running Wade's defense. This was before Crennel was hired. The idea was that Antonio Smith would walk and Donald would take his place. When RC was hired, we immediately changed the pick. It's just not a fit.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 03-03-2014   #35
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Do you guys not think he is athletic enough for the bolded?
You are focusing solely on athleticism and neglecting skill sets.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 03-03-2014   #36
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Walter Football Pro Day Notes

March 3
Concordia (Minn.)
Minnesota
Mississippi
Pittsburgh

AAron Donald, Ra'Shede Hageman, Donte Moncrief today among others.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #37
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think he was talking about Crichton at OLB, not DE.

In our mock draft a while back, beerlover and I mocked Donald to the Texans under the premise that they would still be running Wade's defense. This was before Crennel was hired. The idea was that Antonio Smith would walk and Donald would take his place. When RC was hired, we immediately changed the pick. It's just not a fit.
Apparently I don't see the 273 lb Crichton who runs a 4.84 40 as a OLB. I guess he could but he has always played with his hand in the dirt.

I too, had Donald at 2-1 in an early draft of mine. That is now void because Donald goes in Top 15 IMO and w/ addition of Crennel, Donald does not fit that defense.

I expect Crennel's D to better against the run but not as good vs the pass. And I have some real concern about how JJ Watt is going to transition to Crennel's D. Does JJ go back to a similar production of his days at Wisconsin????
Old 03-03-2014   #38
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I expect Crennel's D to better against the run but not as good vs the pass. And I have some real concern about how JJ Watt is going to transition to Crennel's D. Does JJ go back to a similar production of his days at Wisconsin????
They will need a solid NT to hold up to the run and another ILB. I don't see how our personnel fits RC's style. I also have a problem with asking your best pass rusher to two-gap. That doesn't seem like a good idea. I realize they will play out of base and they will sub-package, but in your base defense you are asking your biggest playmaker to take double teams. I don't like it.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 03-03-2014   #39
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You are focusing solely on athleticism and neglecting skill sets.
Please explain what skill set you are talking about?
Old 03-03-2014   #40
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Khalil Mack, Mike Evans lead most important pro days of week
By Gil Brandt

Quote:
Pro day will be in full swing this week, and as several players go through their workouts and have their results posted, you might notice something a little strange in the numbers.

Many of the 40 times posted on pro days might be slower or faster than the times you saw at Indianapolis for the NFL Scouting Combine. It's important to understand why.

In 1970, the Dallas Cowboys gave a $25,000 grant to Penn State Unviersity to do a comprehensive study on 40-yard dash times related to surface as well as the shoes used for running these sprints. The results were interesting and showed that, sure enough, running on grass resulted in slower times than running on turf, like the kind they had at Lucas Oil Stadium, the site of the combine -- on average, the times on grass were about .12 seconds slower than on turf.

So for example, if a player runs on grass and posts a 40 time of 4.65, he's going to run about a 4.53 on turf. Teams take this into account when they track 40 times that are run on different surfaces, and like to convert the times to a uniform surface when they sort the numbers.

The Penn State study also found that there is a slight difference in times when players run in cleated football shoes, which are traditionally used on grass, and spiked shoes. Runners who used spiked shoes ran about .03 seconds faster. That means that a guy who runs a 4.65 40 on grass and in football shoes would have a time of about 4.50 on turf and in spikes.

Keep this in mind as you're looking through the 40 times from pro day, and don't be surprised if there's a difference in the numbers from Indianapolis.

Here's a quick rundown of this week's pro-day workouts, and the one or two things I'll be most interested in for each one:...
Teddy Bridgewater, Michael Sam facing make-or-break pro days
Quote:
The 2014 NFL Scouting Combine is in the books, but several prospects still have plenty of questions to answer heading into their pro day workouts. After checking in with several scouts and coaches over the past few days, I've come up with 10 burning questions that must be answered in workouts over the coming months:

1) Is Teddy Bridgewater a legitimate franchise quarterback?
2) Can Johnny Manziel excel as a pocket passer?
3) Can Blake Bortles develop into an elite NFL quarterback?
4) Is Jadeveon Clowney worthy of the No. 1 overall pick?
5) Can Cyrus Kouandjio bounce back from a poor combine?
6) What is Ryan Shazier's best position as a pro?
7) Can De'Anthony Thomas make an impact as a specialty player?
8) Does Ka'Deem Carey have enough explosiveness to be a feature back?
9) Is Jarvis Landry fast enough to be a No. 1 receiver?
10) Will Michael Sam show enough athleticism to merit a draftable grade?

Last edited by Playoffs; 03-03-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read