Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-23-2014   #241
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2014 NFL Draft chatter/rumors/news

out of the top WRs in the league now, none are below 6.2
Fitz, A.Johnson, Megatron, Dez, Marshall, Gordon, Green. just to name a few.

For the guys that love watkins (i also think his a top 6 talent)
does this along with the above espn stat scare you??
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #242
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post

No...it was not that long ago (2 years) that Welker, Wayne, cruz, steve smith were in that group. I like bigger, strong, faster like the next guy, but if a guy is skilled enough that inch really won't matter.
Old 04-23-2014   #243
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm a Watkins guy that ESPN thing made me grimace and reconsider a little bit.

But... how do you define "top WRs in the league"? In terms of production last season, several guys were under 6' 2" -- Edelman, Garcon, Brown, Wright, Jackson -- were in the top 10 in Receptions or Yards or both. Granted, some of those guys aren't the big names but that doesn't mean they aren't productive. And when you factor in all the ways you can use Watkins both as a runner and as a receiver, he's like a bigger Percy Harvin, hopefully a more durable Percy Harvin.

I can't see how that's a bad thing.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #244
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

It helps Watkins that he would not be #1 guy on Texans & maybe not #2
Old 04-23-2014   #245
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
It helps Watkins that he would not be #1 guy on Texans & maybe not #2
If we make the assumption that he becomes a Texan, it would be with the long-term thought that one day (maybe two or three years) he would be the best WR on the team whrther Andre Johnson is still with us or not. don't think this is going to happen though.
Old 04-24-2014   #246
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I'm a Watkins guy that ESPN thing made me grimace and reconsider a little bit.

But... how do you define "top WRs in the league"? In terms of production last season, several guys were under 6' 2" -- Edelman, Garcon, Brown, Wright, Jackson -- were in the top 10 in Receptions or Yards or both. Granted, some of those guys aren't the big names but that doesn't mean they aren't productive. And when you factor in all the ways you can use Watkins both as a runner and as a receiver, he's like a bigger Percy Harvin, hopefully a more durable Percy Harvin.

I can't see how that's a bad thing.
most talented.
also those other names i think are either on the back of good QB play or have production due to the system.

the guys i mentioned are more talented and can win games on their own and dont need top QB or top offensive system to produce
Old 04-24-2014   #247
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
No...it was not that long ago (2 years) that Welker, Wayne, cruz, steve smith were in that group. I like bigger, strong, faster like the next guy, but if a guy is skilled enough that inch really won't matter.
i totally agree but there is more than a coincidence for elite WRs being 6.3ft and above
Sponsored links
Old 04-24-2014   #248
Shezza
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Shezza is a quality contributor and well respectedShezza is a quality contributor and well respectedShezza is a quality contributor and well respectedShezza is a quality contributor and well respectedShezza is a quality contributor and well respectedShezza is a quality contributor and well respectedShezza is a quality contributor and well respectedShezza is a quality contributor and well respectedShezza is a quality contributor and well respectedShezza is a quality contributor and well respectedShezza is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath Shuler View Post
NFL announces a record 30 players will attend the NFL Draft including 4 quarterbacks.

I would stay at home. It will be a very long nite in the green room if you dont get picked

Garropolo ain't going round one. Only going to let himself down.

Stay home son.
Shezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #249
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 244585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Quote:
Asked D coach for a sleeper: #Princeton DT Caraun Reid. “People say lack of competition. But in @seniorbowl, he was kicking everyone’s ass.”
A TTalk mock late favorite.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #250
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

A TTalk mock late favorite.
I still think he can play DE.
Old 04-24-2014   #251
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
most talented.
also those other names i think are either on the back of good QB play or have production due to the system.

the guys i mentioned are more talented and can win games on their own and dont need top QB or top offensive system to produce
I don't care how talented a guy is. I only care if the guy produces.

I don't believe ANY WR can win games on their own. They all need someone to get them the ball -- both the QB and the offensive system. You could take Calvin Johnson and put him in an old ground-and-pound offense and he's not seeing more than 3-4 catches a game. That's not enough for him to be productive.

So, for me, like I said, it's all about production. There are plenty of guys who are VERY productive who are < 6' 2" tall.
Old 04-24-2014   #252
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 244585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Greg Gabriel ‏@greggabe
Quote:
Reality is there are very few "risers" or "fallers" in the draft. It's the media has figured out they had a guy rated too high or too low
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #253
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Greg Gabriel ‏@greggabe
Hmm, I think I's deja vu-ing
Old 04-24-2014   #254
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Greg Gabriel ‏@greggabe
I think it is because the guys have done little research on players like Savage then because of some new (to them) info they are startled into adjusting their ranking. Other examples, Kony Ealy was rated 6th round for long time, Jawuan James a 5th now high second, Phillip Gaines from a 7th to now a mid to high 2nd, Stanley Jean Baptiste has risen three rounds recently,Skov has dropped two rounds based on nothing, McCarron and Christian Jones (ILB) are elevators up and down almost each new evaluation.
Old 04-24-2014   #255
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Greg Gabriel ‏@greggabe
That's kinda what I've been saying.

No one knows who the various teams really like or don't like.

The Media, otoh, that's where these guys rise and fall and it's because... it's the MEDIA. They're trying to sniff around and get some clue from the teams about what their boards look like and who they like or don't like. The Media is trying to figure out where guys are going to go beforehand.

And then, when someone gets drafted somewhere they didn't expect. they call it a reach. When REALLY it just shows that they had incorrect information.

Now, someone like Mayock or Kiper, they try to spin it a different way. They're saying they've got the End-All, Be-All list of prospects ranked by "talent" or "projections" or whatever. This guy has a first round grade and that guy has a 5th round grade, but a list like that without the context of a specific scheme of a specific team is meaningless.

There may be risers and fallers but it's not an across the board thing. A guy may rise on one team's board and fall on another team's board and no one other than those two teams are really going to know that.
Old 04-24-2014   #256
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think it is because the guys have done little research on players like Savage then because of some new (to them) info they are startled into adjusting their ranking. Other examples, Kony Ealy was rated 6th round for long time, Jawuan James a 5th now high second, Phillip Gaines from a 7th to now a mid to high 2nd, Stanley Jean Baptiste has risen three rounds recently,Skov has dropped two rounds based on nothing, McCarron and Christian Jones (ILB) are elevators up and down almost each new evaluation.
I believe Skov ran a 5.2 at his Pro Day and there are questions about his athleticism post-injury.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #257
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 106068 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
And then, when someone gets drafted somewhere they didn't expect. they call it a reach. When REALLY it just shows that they had incorrect information.
Not always. There's the (R.I.P.) Al Davis' and Jerry Jones' of the world who sometimes make EPIC reaches.
Old 04-24-2014   #258
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 76577 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

This chatter/rumor has been growing some legs for some time. I wouldn't give it a whole lot of stock other than the fact that Demitroff has proven he has the stones to pull the trigger when he believes in a certain player.

Will Mack still be there at #6? I dunno.

I just hope the Texans don't soil the linen by taking Bortels. That guy scares the crap outta me as a high first rounder. Just not impressed in the least. I'd take JFF before Bortels and I'm by no stretch a fan. He scares me too.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #259
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I just hope the Texans don't soil the linen by taking Bortels. That guy scares the crap outta me as a high first rounder. Just not impressed in the least.
I think Bortles is rawer than Bridgewater and not as dynamic as Manziel. But, he has improved vastly over the past couple of years and has a lot of potential. If he's the guy O'Brien wants to coach, I have no problem with it. Really like the idea of trading down and getting extra picks. Lord knows they need as many good players as possible.
Old 04-24-2014   #260
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 20076 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...Skov has dropped two rounds based on nothing...
He plays middle or inside LB and this position has been degraded in importance with today's offenses. Sports Xchange has him listed with a 4.84 and a 5.18, with a average time of 4.95.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read