Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-28-2014   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2014 NFL Draft chatter/rumors/news

I often have draft news items that don't merit a new thread, don't fit in current threads, but are worthy of mention. Later round prospect news, draft rumors, team news, etc.

Since the Combine is now completed, I thought we needed a catchall 2014 Draft news thread.

2014 pro days schedule by date

2014 pro days schedule alphabetical by school
Quote:
Between the NFL Scouting Combine and the 2014 NFL Draft, NFL coaches and scouts -- not to mention the prospects themselves -- turn their attention to the various college pro day workouts. These are not as all-encompassing as the combine, but they are important enough for the key decision-makers in the league to travel around the country for more than a month to watch the talent up close and in person. Be sure to check back for updates to the schedule as well as pro day reports.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014   #2
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2014 NFL Draft chatter/rumors/news

Is Playoffs Adam Schefter? Please never leave.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014   #3
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 77922 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Are we sure Playoffs isn't just some computer algorithm collecting Texans related news?
Old 02-28-2014   #4
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Is Playoffs Adam Schefter? Please never leave.
Im now handing out rep to random posters here JUST SO I CAN REP playoffs again for all his effort.
Old 02-28-2014   #5
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I often have draft news items that don't merit a new thread, don't fit in current threads, but are worthy of mention. Later round prospect news, draft rumors, team news, etc.

Since the Combine is now completed, I thought we needed a catchall 2014 Draft news thread.

2014 pro days schedule by date

[url="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000326264/article/2014-pro-days-schedule#Alphabetical"]2014 pro days schedule alphabetical by school[/URL

MSR

Thanks for everything
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014   #6
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Are we sure Playoffs isn't just some computer algorithm collecting Texans related news?
Perhaps the human manifestation of google?
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014   #7
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm with Kiwi on this one. It's a bot.

<3 Playoffs
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-01-2014   #8
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Family drives Scott Crichton’s will to succeed in the NFL
Quote:
...but because his decision to declare for the draft after his junior year was more emotional and complex than most. Yes, Crichton is doing it for the money. But when he sat down at a table at the combine media room last Sunday to speak with a small group of mostly Seattle-based reporters, the underrated Tacoma, Wash., native laid out exactly why it was time for him to head to the next level. Simply put, his family desperately needs him to.

“I love my family. I’ve taken this responsibility to take care of them. My mom works two jobs, and my dad is disabled and still works a job, too. They are getting old and I want them to retire and just stop working. I just did this for my family. I was going to come back to college but just to see my family struggle — we didn’t have much growing up and to see my family struggle, I wasn’t OK with that. So I had to do something, and this is one of the greatest opportunities for me to take care of my family.”

Crichton’s parents are both from Western Samoa. His father Lucky (his given name) lost a leg a while back due to health reasons, and it was impossible for Crichton to recall his dad’s struggle since without profound emotion. It was easy — and moving — to see.

“He works at a warehouse right now, which is barely getting by like $10 an hour, and he [had taken] care of my grandpa. My grandpa is 90-something and he just passed. It was just unfortunate, and this was all happening at once.”

So, Crichton didn’t bother getting a grade from the advisory board — he decided to take his 22.5 sacks and 51 tackles for loss over three seasons to the NFL, and see what it would get him.
Quote:
“What is the key to getting penetration inside a tackle? Like a 4-tech or a 3-tech? You’ve just got to get off the ball and attack, attack the opposing player and you’ve got to just play on their side of the ball. Coaches always told me, whatever you do, no matter if you are wrong, you’ve got to play on their side of the ball..."
Old 03-01-2014   #9
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 155137 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

http://blogs.ourlads.com/2014/02/28/...-post-combine/
Old 03-01-2014   #10
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Great stuff, repped.

Quote:
I am going to have a good amount of DTs graded in my top 100 overall. I think it is a good year for the position... There are a lot of BIG defensive tackles in this class. Guys with NFL-ready bodies from a thickness/strength perspective....

A couple names Iíve been high on since September are DaQuan Jones (Penn State) and Caraun Reid (Princeton). Jones... is a comfortable 320+ pounds with the easiest knee bend youíll find and some sneaky quickness in tight spaces... he can stay low and play with strong hands. Reid is a tough guy to block... is a low mover with explosive steps, incredibly strong base.
Quote:
Back in the fall I said this DE class was very weak after Clowney and I still believe it...
Old 03-01-2014   #11
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 155137 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Great stuff, repped.
Can anyone think of a good use for Aaron Donald at #1?
Old 03-01-2014   #12
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 77922 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would consider him at DE. He has strength to hold up and speed to make him pay.
Old 03-01-2014   #13
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
I would consider him at DE. He has strength to hold up and speed to make him pay.
He's going to bring it every play .
Old 03-01-2014   #14
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

If I were Scouting an NFL QB...
Quote:
...I don't doubt that many teams are consistent with the first two points, but I have serious reservations about the last two. Jamarcus Russell? I remember telling a whole slew of people he'd never make it (Mike, Ryan, and Derek - remember?). How did I know? Because I saw tape of him as a high school senior and he waited for receivers to be out of their breaks before throwing, and that had not changed at LSU. Nobody knows for sure - just as Billy Beane (Brad Pitt) pointed out in "Moneyball" - there is no crystal ball. There is no way of assuring how a player will project from college to the NFL, but I think some things can be done more efficiently, especially from the workout and scouting standpoint.

To me, the way a player's talent will translate has to do more with his surrounding players relative to the opposition rather than if he took all his snaps from shotgun. Shotgun as opposed to under center doesn't matter as much other things, yet people seem to waste a lot of breath on the subject. Why? Every team has a QB coach that's a millionaire - he can teach drops. It's about processing large volumes of information and having enough of a skill set athletically to get the ball to someone open ( who should be graded on speed and explosiveness) -- all while have the courage to ignore the pass rush and the mental toughness to ignore talk radio...

Quote:
I think Crennel prefers the big uglies.

Earholed!: http://youtu.be/pkhEfZB8YcI?t=3m16s

Old 03-01-2014   #15
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If I were Scouting an NFL QB...

I think Crennel prefers the big uglies.
If Donald were 300 lbs or 265 lbs he would be a Top 10 lock. Still at 285 he's the BEST DL in this draft. While Donald would be a perfect fit Wade's D and replacement for Ninja, Crennel's DEs have mostly been of the 300 lb variety.
Old 03-01-2014   #16
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If the Texans go QB at 1-1 this guy would be my pick at 2-33. Doubtful he will be there though. New Orleans will run the pick to the podium.

My ideal draft would be

1.Robinson
2. Crichton
3.Garappolo/Murray/Mettenberger
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014   #17
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
If the Texans go QB at 1-1 this guy would be my pick at 2-33. Doubtful he will be there though. New Orleans will run the pick to the podium.

My ideal draft would be

1.Robinson
2. Crichton
3.Garappolo/Murray/Mettenberger
I had Cricton as a possibility at 2-1 along with ASJ. However Crichton at 273 lbs I'm not sure he fits the Crennel historical MO for a DE.
Old 03-01-2014   #18
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cf...-sack-study-10
Old 03-02-2014   #19
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not in Crennel's defense. The guy is a beast, but he can struggle with double teams and he's way more of a gap shooter than plugger. He would be totally miscast in our defense.

He really reminds me of Geno Atkins. I think he's purely a 3'technique, but a very very good one at that.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014   #20
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Not in Crennel's defense. The guy is a beast, but he can struggle with double teams and he's way more of a gap shooter than plugger. He would be totally miscast in our defense.

He really reminds me of Geno Atkins. I think he's purely a 3'technique, but a very very good one at that.
i have a similar thinking towards Ealy. would love him have a top 10 grade on him but does he fit Roc's system?? im inclined to think not.
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read