Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-25-2014   #21
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jon Grudenís QB Camp 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Houston Texans next QB. Thanks for finding that, enjoyed it.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #22
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I've seen Gruden critical of guys and things they need to clean up. Obviously guys won't be willing to go if he's just going to kill them on national TV. Jimmy Clausen was highly criticized because of his appearance on the segment.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #23
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

He was pretty hard on Jordan Lynch. Calling him Marshawn Lynch and saying he should play running back.
Old 03-25-2014   #24
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

He told TB that he needs to work on his accuracy. He told him to not get caught up in the chatter and to wear his gloves if it's what makes him comfortable.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #25
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm so glad Teddy told us he was tough. Didn't know he was the last of a dying breed either.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #26
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
I'm so glad Teddy told us he was tough. Didn't know he was the last of a dying breed either.
Yes, I agree. It would've been much better if he'd informed us of what kind of snack food he has on his shoulder. I'm dying to know if it is a Sun Chipģ or maybe a cracker of some kind.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #27
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Yes, I agree. It would've been much better if he'd informed us of what kind of snack food he has on his shoulder. I'm dying to know if it is a Sun Chipģ or maybe a cracker of some kind.
Old 03-25-2014   #28
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
MSR. Brilliant.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #29
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Gotta like Bortles. Really comes across well.
Bortles was just on.

Here's the full schedule: http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-re...camp-schedule/
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #30
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I just watched the Bortles installment. I was duped. It recorded on my DVR as Aj McCarron. So I had the lights out, put a little music on, had the lotion ready... & it was Bortles, bleh...

More impressive than I gave him credit for. I had already watched the Manziel & Bridgewater episode & I wasn't really "feeling" the program. You know before hand he says he's not going to coddle these guys & he was going to ask them the tough questions, but he didn't.

He'd get into something & just when it sounds like it's about to get juicy, he'd pull up. Like he didn't want to embarrass the kid. He had plenty of opportunities with Bridgewater & Manziel, but he always seemed to pull back.

He would ask Bridgewater about what his keys were, or why you start your progression on the left, or what keys you to look at the individual... Bridgewater knew a lot of the answers, but I felt Gruden expected him to have a deeper understanding of what was going on & pulled back on the aggressiveness of his questions.

Same thing with Johnny. He could have nailed him about all kinds of stuff, but I feel, he did not want to embarrass the kid.

I didn't think nothing of it. These are just kids, getting ready to take a pretty big step in their lives... no reason to make it worse.
Old 04-24-2014   #31
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

So I watch Bortles. I learned quick that I didn't have a clue what offense Bortles ran at UCF, I didn't know Bortles had as much control & responsibility at the LOS. Gruden started asking him about a play UCF ran & Bortles showed a deep understanding of the concepts, protections, routes, then they got into defenses & it kept going on & on.

Remember, I am not a Bortles fan. He's not on my list of 6. In fact I made it a list of 5 & never thought about adding Bortles to it. I'm not saying that Bortles is on my list, or that I want to draft him at 1-1, but I'm going to have to look at him again. I think this QB camp helped him out more than it helped Manziel, Bridgewater, & Boyd.

Boyd. I'm watching Boyd now... & Gruden didn't care about hurting his feelings. Bison 2 roll..... write it down, big. He absolutely killed Boyd on Bison cover 2 roll. Before that, Boyd was looking like a good, smart, composed, deep thinker. Gruden built him up, talking about how much he loved the way Boyd threw the football.

Then he started in on the Bison2roll... showed him a play & it was like it was the first time Boyd ever saw it on film. He had no idea there were only 9 guys on the field. Gruden slowed it down, showed him the situation. Clemson was down 24-7 I think, plenty of time in the game, but perfect opportunity for Boyd to press with tempo. Instead Gruden showed where it looks like Boyd waited for the 10th guy to get on the field & line up.

Then after the ball was snapped, they seemed to screw up the coverage. However, even though they screwed up the coverage, even though the ball was snapped with 10 men on the field, Boyd still screwed it up & threw an interception.

I finally got to the point where I don't think Gruden was trying to embarrass the kid, but drive a point... this may have very well been the first time Boyd was hearing a lot of the things Gruden was telling him. There was a lot of encouragement in his words & I realized Gruden was coaching him. Boyd's got all kinds of talent, very confident, he's fairly intelligent, appears to be extremely coachable.

I think this show was a kick to the nutts, but if he puts his mind to it & dedicate himself to being the best, he might make someone a heck of a QB. But he's not ready now.
Old 04-25-2014   #32
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I just watched the Bortles installment. I was duped. It recorded on my DVR as Aj McCarron. So I had the lights out, put a little music on, had the lotion ready... & it was Bortles, bleh...

More impressive than I gave him credit for. I had already watched the Manziel & Bridgewater episode & I wasn't really "feeling" the program. You know before hand he says he's not going to coddle these guys & he was going to ask them the tough questions, but he didn't.

He'd get into something & just when it sounds like it's about to get juicy, he'd pull up. Like he didn't want to embarrass the kid. He had plenty of opportunities with Bridgewater & Manziel, but he always seemed to pull back.

He would ask Bridgewater about what his keys were, or why you start your progression on the left, or what keys you to look at the individual... Bridgewater knew a lot of the answers, but I felt Gruden expected him to have a deeper understanding of what was going on & pulled back on the aggressiveness of his questions.

Same thing with Johnny. He could have nailed him about all kinds of stuff, but I feel, he did not want to embarrass the kid.

I didn't think nothing of it. These are just kids, getting ready to take a pretty big step in their lives... no reason to make it worse.
Quote:
So I watch Bortles. I learned quick that I didn't have a clue what offense Bortles ran at UCF, I didn't know Bortles had as much control & responsibility at the LOS. Gruden started asking him about a play UCF ran & Bortles showed a deep understanding of the concepts, protections, routes, then they got into defenses & it kept going on & on.

Remember, I am not a Bortles fan. He's not on my list of 6. In fact I made it a list of 5 & never thought about adding Bortles to it. I'm not saying that Bortles is on my list, or that I want to draft him at 1-1, but I'm going to have to look at him again. I think this QB camp helped him out more than it helped Manziel, Bridgewater, & Boyd.

Boyd. I'm watching Boyd now... & Gruden didn't care about hurting his feelings. Bison 2 roll..... write it down, big. He absolutely killed Boyd on Bison cover 2 roll. Before that, Boyd was looking like a good, smart, composed, deep thinker. Gruden built him up, talking about how much he loved the way Boyd threw the football.

Then he started in on the Bison2roll... showed him a play & it was like it was the first time Boyd ever saw it on film. He had no idea there were only 9 guys on the field. Gruden slowed it down, showed him the situation. Clemson was down 24-7 I think, plenty of time in the game, but perfect opportunity for Boyd to press with tempo. Instead Gruden showed where it looks like Boyd waited for the 10th guy to get on the field & line up.

Then after the ball was snapped, they seemed to screw up the coverage. However, even though they screwed up the coverage, even though the ball was snapped with 10 men on the field, Boyd still screwed it up & threw an interception.

I finally got to the point where I don't think Gruden was trying to embarrass the kid, but drive a point... this may have very well been the first time Boyd was hearing a lot of the things Gruden was telling him. There was a lot of encouragement in his words & I realized Gruden was coaching him. Boyd's got all kinds of talent, very confident, he's fairly intelligent, appears to be extremely coachable.

I think this show was a kick to the nutts, but if he puts his mind to it & dedicate himself to being the best, he might make someone a heck of a QB. But he's not ready now.
Great analysis Thunderkyss, I enjoyed reading both posts, can't MSR since I need to spread it around before I can give you any but as soon as I can these post are on my list.
Old 04-28-2014   #33
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

I finally got to see Aj McCarron's episode of Gruden's QB camp.

I've always thought McCarron was the best QB in this class. However, I'm officially changing my position on him. I thought, largely based on the media draft coverage & opinions posted here that I wouldn't look to draft a QB until round 2. But after watching him with Gruden, which is as close to a personal interview as I'm going to get with any of these prospects, & knowing that McCarron has made his rounds with several other teams... If I were the Houston Texans, I'm taking Aj McCarron with the first overall selection.

He is the most NFL ready QB in the game. He's smart, extremely smart & he works on his game. He studies the game & he is constantly working on his game to improve. He studies his opponent, he studies success (Manning, Brady, Rodgers) & he's got the right attitude.

No way he gets past Jacksonville, Cleveland, Oakland, Tennessee, or Minnesota. I wouldn't even trust him to get past St. Louis.

I'm in love with Aj McCarron, he is my guy. He played with a lot of talent at Alabama & won a lot of games. I plan to have a lot of talent around him in Houston & plan on winning a lot of games.

I understand why everyone likes Bridgewater. I like him too. IF only he were taller, heavier, played for a major program in a major conference, played in a lot of big games, won big games, & had a strong arm.

Other than the arm, that's McCarron.
Old 04-28-2014   #34
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57261 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

AJ McCarron has zero chance of being the first pick and probably a 1% chance of being a top ten pick, and about a 10% chance of being a first round pick anywhere, so if you love him that much I'm 90% sure he'll be there in round two, but I don't like him that much personally.
Old 04-28-2014   #35
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm in love with Aj McCarron, he is my guy...

Other than the arm, that's McCarron.
I knew that bromance wasn't over, TK.

Old 04-28-2014   #36
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57261 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm just glad he isn't in charge of the draft. Mr. McNair, I just saw AJ McCarron on Jon Gruden's QB Camp show on ESPN and I'm sold. Let's draft him first.
Old 04-29-2014   #37
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

FFCA....

Took a while for me to figure out what FFCA meant. Failed Football Coaches Association. Pretty funny.

So I'm watching Derek Carr on Gruden's QB camp. Impressive.

I honestly admit I had not seriously thought about this guy for the obvious nonFootball reason. However, I have to admit I underestimated his understanding of the game.

I've got to imagine the Texans are giving him serious consideration.

Gruden's killing him on the sacks.
Old 04-29-2014   #38
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
FFCA....

Took a while for me to figure out what FFCA meant. Failed Football Coaches Association. Pretty funny.
Fired Football Coaches Association
Old 04-29-2014   #39
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
FFCA....

So I'm watching Derek Carr on Gruden's QB camp. Impressive.

I honestly admit I had not seriously thought about this guy for the obvious nonFootball reason. However, I have to admit I underestimated his understanding of the game.

I've got to imagine the Texans are giving him serious consideration.

Gruden's killing him on the sacks.
For me his response to the pass rush is my only yellow flag on him.
Old 04-30-2014   #40
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Jon Gruden 2014 DRAFT Conference Call
Quote:
Q. How much do you think GMs have to take into consideration everything that comes with Johnny
Manziel? Even if he's trying to tone things down, it goes viral with everything he does.
GRUDEN:
Everything is evaluated on and off the field. When you're dealing with a high-profile position like
the quarterback, obviously there's some well-documented things to cover and to consider. Johnny Manziel
had George Bush at his pro date. Manziel brings a lot of excitement and interest to your organization. Maybe
some people don't want to be part of it. That will be up to them. But everything will be carefully scrutinized.

Q. There's been a lot of talk about Teddy Bridgewater. What do you think about the talk and how do
you think he projects as one of the top quarterbacks in the draft?
GRUDEN:
I've done a lot of individual workouts in my past as a receiver coach, as a quarterback coach,
even as a head coach. If the player didn't work that well for me, I didn't move them down, I took them off our
board. So if you're not having good individual workouts, if you don't have a good pro workout, that's part of
the evaluation process. You're going to be moved down or potentially off some people's boards. I'd be
concerned if I were any person and I didn't have good private workouts or I had a typically bad pro date.

Q. Is there an obvious No. 1 pick in your mind? Also, which quarterback is best equipped to succeed
immediately, and which is the best long-term prospect?
GRUDEN:
To me the first pick of the draft, the sure-fire Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning, I don't know that that
player is in this draft. You're dealing with more underclassmen than I can ever remember. If you're talking
(Jadeveon) Clowney, (Johnny) Manziel, Sammy Watkins, even some of the underclassmen linemen, Greg
Robinson. So it's a crapshoot. This is not a complete body of work to evaluate. You have to use your
imagination, be able to see down the road a bit. There is no sure-fire, can't-miss No. 1 in anybody's world,
but there are some great prospects.

The second part of your question, if there was one quarterback ready to come in and contribute right away, I
think to me it's dependent on the organization and the team that you have. If you got a really bad team, I
don't care who you bring in there, you're probably not going to be successful. I like a lot of quarterbacks. I've
been accused of that. But I do think it's up to the organization to take the player at the position of quarterback
and stay with them, train them, stay with them some more, help this young man develop and become a great
player. It might not happen right away.

Three of the top guys are juniors. I don't think they're physically ready. I don't think they're far along mentally.
I think they might be a work in progress for six months or a year. But I do like (Derek) Carr. I like the fifth-year
seniors. I think Carr is going to come in and be further along than a lot of these (quarterbacks) because of his
vast background, two different systems. I think he's got an excellent arm. I think he's been challenged from a
protection standpoint. I like Aaron Murray from Georgia. I like (A.J.) McCarron. The fifth-year seniors will be
the guys that are obviously most ready.

Q. Logan Thomas from Virginia Tech, there were some people hoping you might dissect him in QB
Camp. What led to the decision he wasn't part of that group? How would you break him down as a
prospect?
GRUDEN:
I wanted to do more quarterbacks. We did nine. Unfortunately time is a big part of it. We just don't
have the time. We don't just show up and shoot these guys. We spent a week basically preparing for each
one of these quarterbacks. We just didn't have enough time. In fairness to (Zach) Mettenberger, Logan Thomas, a couple other guys we would of liked to have done.
Studying Logan, he's been in a couple different systems. He is a player I first saw a couple years ago. He
reminded me of Cam Newton for obvious reasons. A dual threat that had physical presence at the position
that was rare. He just hasn't come along as a passer, a consistent passer, like maybe some people think.
He had his ups and downs at the Senior Bowl. It was clear it wasn't consistent. When you're not consistent at
the quarterback position, you're going to be downgraded. I think that's why Logan Thomas is where he is in
terms of the draft boards. When you stand next to him and look at him, see him run around, you can see he
has the ability to play a number of positions. Somebody with a creative offensive mind will get him and
hopefully get the best out of him.

Q. Jimmy Garoppolo comes from the quarterback factory in Eastern Illinois. Do you see some Tony
Romo in his game? Do you see him coming off the boards as early as late in the first round?
GRUDEN:
I don't know that he's going to go in the first round. He doesn't really remind me a lot of Tony
Romo because of the offense he's coming from. He's running the same offense that Robert Griffin ran at
Baylor. Dino Babers, Eastern Illinois head coach, came from Baylor. It's an up-tempo, no-huddle spread.
They're going to try to run as many plays as they can in a game. Tony didn't play in that type of system. He
ran some formations and plays that I actually recognized.

Where Garoppolo jumped most at me was in the East West practices and the Senior Bowl. I think he looked
like he belonged. When I met Jimmy, I met a very sharp, eager young prospect that has size. But Garoppolo
has improved tremendously over his last two seasons. They've won two Ohio Valley Conference
championships. He's not a finished product. He's going to have some growing to do because of the system
he comes from. But he's a big, sharp prospect that I know a lot of people like.

Q. A couple of quarterbacks here in South Carolina: Tajh Boyd was part of your program. Even
though he wasn't on the program, I know you've seen Connor Shaw in person a couple times. Do
you think he has a future in the NFL?
GRUDEN:
Those are two really productive quarterbacks. Starting with Tajh Boyd, here is a dual threat.
What I like about Boyd is he's a finisher. He went back to Clemson to finish with his teammates. He is a
quarterback that has a live arm. He can run. He has production passing and running. The show we did on
him that I think is relative to his performance, it's all about peaks and valleys. He's had tremendous peaks at
Clemson in this no-huddle spread offense. He's had some great individual performances. He's also had
some valleys I think. The three South Carolina losses, I thought the struggle against Florida State. I think
people are studying those games, high-profile competition, and wondering why he struggled a little bit in
those outings. He's just got to become more consistent. I think when he did go to the Senior Bowl, it was a
struggle initially converting to being an underneath-the-center quarterback. But I really like Tajh. I think he's
going to be a mid-round selection. He'll develop in somebody's system and has a chance to get a good
player if they can get some continuity around him.

As far as Connor Shaw goes, he is another dual threat that has interesting training, that being Steve
Spurrier. He does have some pro-style system background. You also see the Gamecocks running a lot of
up-tempo zone-read type stuff. Shaw is capable of running a lot of offenses. He's a winning quarterback.
He's had sustained production. Does he throw it well enough? How he performs in his individual workouts
will be critical for him.

Q. Bradley Roby, the Ohio State cornerback pleaded guilty to a variation of a DUI charge even though
his alcohol content was below the legal limit. With this coming so close to the draft, how much do
you think this will affect his draft status and how do teams evaluate those situations?
GRUDEN:
Everybody will evaluate it differently but at the same time they'll take this very seriously. It's not
good right before the draft to have anything like this occur for many reasons. But they're going to go back
and weigh the pros and cons of every one of these players, what they've done on the field and off the field.
All the information I'm sure will be gathered and everybody will have their own interpretation once they gather
it. Here is a kid who missed the opening game. He was suspended for some reason. Here is a kid that didn't
play against Clemson in the bowl game, I think he had an injury. There are some concerns regarding Bradley
Roby.

Q. What is your overall impression of A.J. McCarron? He mentioned recently teams told him he
could go in the first round. What do you think of that?
GRUDEN:
I can see him certainly going in the first round. Again, here is a pool of players, these seven,
eight, nine quarterbacks that we're talking about. McCarron's production speaks volumes: 36 wins, four
losses, all-time record holder at Alabama in a lot of different categories. He doesn't have the flashy statistics
that some of the other quarterbacks do because of the system he comes out of. Alabama comes out of a
huddle. They only throw the ball 26 plays a game, which is about a hundredth in college football. But he
takes care of the ball. He has a big-picture understanding of the game. He's been well-schooled. He's
disciplined. He's durable. I don't think he has tremendous athletic ability. His arm is not off the charts, but he
can play quarterback and manage an NFL system. I think he'll be a good acquisition for someone that has a
long-term plan.

Q. It looks like Aaron Murray is in that eight to 10 range. Do you think that's about right? Where do
you think he stacks up?
GRUDEN:
He doesn't fall that low on my board. Unfortunately I don't have a team. I'm the head of the Fired
Football Coaches Association. He's in my top five. I realize he's got some injuries, not just the knee that he's
rehabbing right now. He's had some injuries in high school that I'm sure people are also documenting.
But when I watched Georgia play I see production at the quarterback position. I don't think many kids have
thrown for 3,000 yards four straight seasons in that conference. I just like what he is off the field. He's an
SEC scholar of the year. He has his degree. He goes to the Senior Bowl on his own just to be in the
meetings. He's a football junky. He has a charisma about him. When I saw him down here at our quarterback
camp, we have a number of NFL players here, Santonio Holmes, Devin Hester, Ike Taylor, Cortez Allen,
Kyle Williams. Murray did a good job with meeting NFL players, college players. I just like a lot of things
about him. So he's higher on my board.

Q. What system or coach do you think is right for him? Did you notice a change at all in his game
from last season to previous ones?
GRUDEN:
It's a very diverse system that they run at Georgia. It's a single-back, no-huddle spread system.
It's a traditional I-formation two-back system. But they do throw the ball down the field as well as any team in
college football. I've seen him manage a lot of systems. I like the fact he's been in the offense for four years,
been a starter for four years. I like this kid a lot.

Q. Some coaches and GMs have said in the last month or so if they can get three starters out of a
draft, they've had a successful draft. What were your expectations in Tampa? What did you want to
get out of each draft?
GRUDEN:
You like to have your draft choices make your football team, number one. When I used to work
for the 49ers years ago, before the salary cap era, I heard if you had too many rookies starting for you, you
weren't a very good team. To be honest with you, you don't want to have five rookie starters. You want good
starters. I don't care if they're rookies or second- or third-year players. Because of the modern era and salary
cap, you want as many rookies to be on the field because they're the most affordable. Most importantly, let's
get good players that are on the front line at every position or we won't be here for very long. The worst thing
is to say we had a good draft because we had five good rookie starters because then in a year you want to
replace them.

You're seeing new coaches coming in. At Tampa, I'm not sure they like (Mike) Glennon at quarterback. Last
time during the season they were saying he might be the future of the Buccaneers. It's in the eyes of the
beholder, but you better get good players out of this draft that make your team because they're affordable
and they're the life's blood of the organization.

Q. The Seahawks coming off their first Super Bowl title, does it change at all once you've won a
Super Bowl drafting at all?
GRUDEN:
We didn't have any draft picks when I got to Tampa for the first couple years, so I wouldn't know
what that is like. On Seattle's behalf, they're going to pick late because of where they finished, for good
reason. That's how the league has been set up for years. What I like about the Seahawks is they didn't
seem to lose a lot of high-profile players in the off-season. This is a young team. They maintained some
continuity. Earl Thomas resigned with (Cam) Chancellor now gives them a dynamic duo in their defense for
years to come. The biggest challenge they're going to have is staying healthy, trying to replace Golden Tate, trying to replace the depth they lost in their front four. I think continuing to draft extremely well not only in the
first round but in the middle to late rounds.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read