Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-24-2014   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 376621 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Dispelling Fans Biggest Misconceptions of the NFL Draft

Dispelling Fans Biggest Misconceptions of the NFL Draft
Greg Gabriel
Quote:
What fans think happens in draft rooms on draft day and what really happens are two different things...

How is the Jimmy Johnson Trade Chart Used?

Quote:
Talking to fans, I always get the impression that they feel decisions are made at the last moment. While that can be true when deciding on who to select between two players, most teams have a plan that is set in place during meetings leading up to draft day.

The idea to possibly trade up or trade down is always discussed in advance. If a team feels that there is a certain player they have to get, and they have to move up to be able to draft that player, then the cost of moving up is discussed.

When I started my scouting career in the early 1980s, there was no such thing as a trade chart. You would...
Who Makes the Final Decision on Draft Day?

Quote:
Many believe that the decision on who a team decides to draft belongs to just one person. In my years with the Giants and the Bears that was not necessarily the case. It was always a collective decision in which the scouts, coaches and the general manager all had input. No matter if it was the first round or the seventh round, every single choice was discussed.

Going into a draft, teams always have certain...
Do Teams Really Draft by "Best Player Available?"

Quote:
While the phrase "best player available" sounds good in theory, it seldom really happens. Teams usually draft the best player available at a position of need. Seldom does a club go into the draft with just one need. There are always multiple needs; some more important than others. During the ranking process, the players at need positions always seem to find their way to the top of the charts. Come draft day, the best available player is usually at a position of need.

That's not to say that you are going to turn down a top player who is not a need. Generally, when a team is facing a situation like that...
Every Team's Draft Board is Different

Quote:
When watching the draft, analysts will often say after some picks are made that they had a player at the same position rated higher. One thing you can be sure of is that no two teams' draft boards are alike.

Clubs rate players based on...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #2
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 376621 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dispelling Fans Biggest Misconceptions of the NFL Draft

And less draft related, but part of the same article...

Quote:
The Term "War Room" is Not Used Across the League

Ten years ago this week, former Arizona Cardinal safety Pat Tillman lost his life during a fire fight in Afghanistan. Tillman played his college football at Arizona State and one of his teammates was a guy by the name of Ted Monago. After college while Pat was playing in the NFL, Ted was working his way up the coaching ladder. They remained close friends and regularly stayed in touch.

In 2001, Ted, who was an assistant coach at William and Mary at the time, decided he wanted to get out of coaching and become a scout. I hired him in June that year, and he has gone on to become one of the most respected and well-liked scouts in the league and is now a national scout for the St. Louis Rams.

During our pre-draft meetings in April 2004, Robyn Wilkey who was GM Jerry Angelo's assistant came into our meeting room and told Ted he had an important phone call. Ted went out to take the call and came back in the room a short time later in tears. He was pale and he could hardly talk. I asked what was wrong. He could barely reply and just said "Pat's dead." Not knowing who he was talking about, I asked him who Pat was, and he said the call was from his mother and that news had just broke about Pat Tillman being killed in action.

Needless to say we adjourned our meetings for the day. Within a half hour of Ted getting that call, I sent out an e-mail to all the coaches, scouts and training staff telling them that the draft room was no longer to be referred to as the war room. From that day on, the Chicago Bears always referred to that room as the "draft room."

While watching draft coverage on ESPN and the NFL Network, I cringe every time I hear the term "war room." I know, it's me, but I feel using that term is disrespectful to our military forces. They are the ones who fight wars, not a bunch of scouts, coaches and general managers trying to make a few draft decisions for a game.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 188528 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

teams draft for need? Imagine me saying that for years
Old 04-24-2014   #4
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
teams draft for need? Imagine me saying that for years
Don't feel so lonesome Steve. I pretty sure it's always been that way no matter what which team says. If that wasn't the case why would we see so many "What 'X' team needs and then watch them draft down those lines.

I believe it's always been: Draft the best player avalable at your position of need. In a descending order of need. But then I'm mainly an observer, not a draftspert (tm).

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #5
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I've always thought that entire theory of BPA was ridiculous.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read