Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-23-2014   #1
JRingo
Rookie

Rep Power: 1977 JRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Political Correctness in the NFL

Hope this is the right forum as I am a newbie here. Heard on the radio that the NFL is considering a 15 yard penalty for use of the N word. Will that apply to all that use it? What about the use of the M word as in Mother or the F word as in others? Just curious as to what you think. Will we ever draw a line? Michael Sam seemed pretty thick skinned to me in his interview..
JRingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #2
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Political Correctness in the NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRingo View Post
Hope this is the right forum as I am a newbie here. Heard on the radio that the NFL is considering a 15 yard penalty for use of the N word. Will that apply to all that use it? What about the use of the M word as in Mother or the F word as in others? Just curious as to what you think. Will we ever draw a line? Michael Sam seemed pretty thick skinned to me in his interview..
This is the new God'ell NFL.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #3
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 112830 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

I never even thought of using the N word but I sure used a lot of other words when I played football. If I played today they'd suspend me just as soon as look at me for my filthy mouth.
Old 02-24-2014   #4
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 29405 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
I never even thought of using the N word but I sure used a lot of other words when I played football. If I played today they'd suspend me just as soon as look at me for my filthy mouth.
Why stop there? Just penalize all vulgarity. It will take time to adjust, but it can be done.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 283896 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

It's just words. Get over it, people.

Actions are what should be penalized. People choosing to be offended over mere words are thin-skinned.

This goes for society in general, as well.
Old 02-24-2014   #6
Ranger Tom
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13211 Ranger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respected

Slurs of any kind should already be covered under the rules for unsportsmanlike conduct, which is 15 yards if I'm not mistaken.
Ranger Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014   #7
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 81572 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

The problem is that it's not white people calling black players the n word, it's black players calling each other that. It's highly common and not used to offend each other and it's not racially charged at all. This is a stupid idea.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-24-2014   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
The problem is that it's not white people calling black players the n word, it's black players calling each other that. It's highly common and not used to offend each other and it's not racially charged at all. This is a stupid idea.
Not really directed at you.

I think people are getting bent for no reason. It is not ordinary in the great majority of business contexts to run off at the mouth with racial epithets. Even vulgarity is frowned upon or prohibited. Seems like a giant walk on by, nothing to see to me.
Old 02-24-2014   #9
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

So, they're doing away with the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty? Is that correct?

If it's not, please explain the difference.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014   #10
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

This might be something more appropriate for NSZ, but I saw a commentator on ESPN discussing this. She said that you have to question the motives of the people implementing this policy; that if saying this word is a double standard, why do the people banning the word want to say it?

WTF?

It's racist to say the n-word; and now it's racist not to say the n-word?

This is ridiculous.
Old 02-24-2014   #11
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm guessing it's all about context?

Like the new taunting thingie, you could act up, but if it were directed at someone it's not ok...

I have no problem with doing it like that
Old 02-24-2014   #12
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Not really directed at you.

I think people are getting bent for no reason. It is not ordinary in the great majority of business contexts to run off at the mouth with racial epithets. Even vulgarity is frowned upon or prohibited. Seems like a giant walk on by, nothing to see to me.
People are under the delusion that NFL is not a big corporate entity and the players are not real (or at least) normal humans.
Old 02-24-2014   #13
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 29405 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
It's just words. Get over it, people.

Actions are what should be penalized. People choosing to be offended over mere words are thin-skinned.

This goes for society in general, as well.
Which means you have given in to the slide of the culture. Vulgarity does not have to be the way of life it has become. It is certainly unsportsmanlike, so I agree with the previous poster. Just tell the officials to start calling it, notify the teams to be aware of this change and implement it.

Why are you so thin skinned about losing the vulgarity?
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014   #14
JPPT1974
Hot July!

Rep Power: 864 JPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
This is the new God'ell NFL.
Goodell wants to make the NFL the No Fun League! But understand of the politically correct words of saying racial or discriminatory words. As people take that very seriously not just the NFL but the world!s
Old 02-24-2014   #15
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 81572 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone who thinks vulgarity in sports is a recent event is living under a rock. Hell, coaches use vulgarity in high school football incredibly often, don't know how we're going to ask grown men to watch their language in a very intense and competitive environment. Guess the coaches can wash their mouths out with soap after each n bomb.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014   #16
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 245923 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The problem is that it's not white people calling black players the n word, it's black players calling each other that...
As Herm Edwards said, "The NFL is 70% black -- if the players wanted to put a stop this they would."
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Anyone who thinks vulgarity in sports is a recent event is living under a rock.
Who said recent had anything to do with it?
Old 02-24-2014   #18
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPPT1974 View Post
Goodell wants to make the NFL the No Fun League! But understand of the politically correct words of saying racial or discriminatory words. As people take that very seriously not just the NFL but the world!s
Why is this?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #19
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Goodell says if just one person is offended by something that they will listen. The no-no say list is about to get really long.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Goodell says if just one person is offended by something that they will listen. The no-no say list is about to get really long.
Again, if this is an appropriate rule for every other workplace in America why not the NFL?

Is Rooney some pansy who doesn't know football? He's already instituted a prohibition throughout the work environment for his players.

Personally, I cuss like a sailor (not the racial epithets part) but I have always been aware it is not appropriate in certain contexts and at work was subject to my bosses' restrictions.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read