Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

View Poll Results: Who would be your #1 pick?
Clowney DE 23 21.90%
Mack OLB 3 2.86%
Bridgewater QB 40 38.10%
Manziel QB 16 15.24%
Bortles QB 6 5.71%
Watkins WR 3 2.86%
Matthews OT 4 3.81%
Robinson OT 10 9.52%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-2014   #161
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Who would be your #1 choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The more I watch Bridgewater, the more I like him. I'm serious when I say he's probably the most NFL ready prospect in this draft.
His most impressive throws are darts into tight coverage.... but they are few & far between. When I'm looking for "all the throws" I'm expecting to see quick outs, out routes in general, fades along the sideline, deep posts, as well as a plethora of throws to the middle of the field; slants, deep slants, deep crossers, post routes, etc...

I did not chart Teddy's throws, nor any of the other QBs, but there is a lack of out routes in just about all of them. Teddy in particular, I get the feeling he mostly throws curl routes, & comebacks outside the hashes. Slants & shallow crossers to the middle, some comebacks.

As far as being pro ready, or the most pro ready, it's difficult for me to say that about any QB playing in the ACC, the Big East even (unless it were basketball).

A good prospect no doubt. The best prospect, maybe. He is most probably going to have a nice NFL career. I'm thinking along the lines of Matthew Stafford, especially with the receivers we've got (assuming Andre has a couple of more top of the league performances left in him). Someone said Matt Ryan the other day, I can see that as well.

But I still do not see him as an elite talent, or someone we can pass elite talent on.
Old 03-16-2014   #162
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
His most impressive throws are darts into tight coverage.... but they are few & far between. When I'm looking for "all the throws" I'm expecting to see quick outs, out routes in general, fades along the sideline, deep posts, as well as a plethora of throws to the middle of the field; slants, deep slants, deep crossers, post routes, etc...

I did not chart Teddy's throws, nor any of the other QBs, but there is a lack of out routes in just about all of them. Teddy in particular, I get the feeling he mostly throws curl routes, & comebacks outside the hashes. Slants & shallow crossers to the middle, some comebacks.

As far as being pro ready, or the most pro ready, it's difficult for me to say that about any QB playing in the ACC, the Big East even (unless it were basketball).

A good prospect no doubt. The best prospect, maybe. He is most probably going to have a nice NFL career. I'm thinking along the lines of Matthew Stafford, especially with the receivers we've got (assuming Andre has a couple of more top of the league performances left in him). Someone said Matt Ryan the other day, I can see that as well.

But I still do not see him as an elite talent, or someone we can pass elite talent on.

Do you really see us being in a position to pass on a QB in the Stafford/Ryan caliber if that's what our staff really believes about any of these guys? I don't see it.
Old 03-16-2014   #163
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm thinking along the lines of Matthew Stafford, especially with the receivers we've got (assuming Andre has a couple of more top of the league performances left in him). Someone said Matt Ryan the other day, I can see that as well.

We are so worlds apart on this, it's not even funny. And I'm not talking about the evaluation of TB or BB.

If Matt Ryan or Matthew Stafford were the QBs we were talking about here, then we'd HAVE to take one of them. Those are two QBs that you can build an offense around and be very successful with for years to come.

My hesitation with the QBs is that I'm not convinced they're up to that level.

If OB is, then he should take one of them.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014   #164
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Fearful Wilfork is our next Ed Reed and Clowney is another Vernon Gholston.
Agree with you about Wilfork after reading C-N-D's post about Wilforks injury in another thread. No way Clowney is another Gholston.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014   #165
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Do you really see us being in a position to pass on a QB in the Stafford/Ryan caliber if that's what our staff really believes about any of these guys? I don't see it.
Yes, because I think McCarron, Murray, & Fales to be of the same caliber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
We are so worlds apart on this, it's not even funny. And I'm not talking about the evaluation of TB or BB.

If Matt Ryan or Matthew Stafford were the QBs we were talking about here, then we'd HAVE to take one of them. Those are two QBs that you can build an offense around and be very successful with for years to come.

My hesitation with the QBs is that I'm not convinced they're up to that level.

If OB is, then he should take one of them.
I said probably. If I were convinced that one of them will I'd agree, we have to take one. But I'm not. I've got a list of 6 that I believe will probably attain that level of success. I won't draft a QB in the top 5, passing on an elite talent, when 3 QBs likely to achieve the same success will be available at 2-1.

This is a deep QB class. Just like we've been saying since last off-season. No Andrew Lucks, but a whole lot of Staffords.
Old 03-16-2014   #166
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No Andrew Lucks, but a whole lot of Staffords.
And again, that's where we differ.

I don't see these guys as a whole lot of Staffords because I think Stafford is a helluva lot better than you seem to be giving him credit for being.

I see this crop as being a whole bunch of Brady Quinn and John David Booty.
Old 03-16-2014   #167
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Hah, we just keep dancing this same dance in the same circle in thread after thread. I won't bite on this one though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
The biggest hole on this team is RT.
Interesting... I could have sworn I saw something different when watching the games last year. Definitely a need though.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-16-2014   #168
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I don't see these guys as a whole lot of Staffords because I think Stafford is a helluva lot better than you seem to be giving him credit for being.

I'm with you. TK seems to be taking anyone who is not a dead lock and throwing them into one big "probable" pile and considering everyone in the pile equal. I'll take 90% probable over 5% probable.
Old 03-16-2014   #169
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
His most impressive throws are darts into tight coverage.... but they are few & far between. When I'm looking for "all the throws" I'm expecting to see quick outs, out routes in general, fades along the sideline, deep posts, as well as a plethora of throws to the middle of the field; slants, deep slants, deep crossers, post routes, etc.....
I would take another look, because those are exactly the throws Bridgewater makes.
Old 03-16-2014   #170
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 245923 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not Bridgewater, not for me.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014   #171
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Not Bridgewater, not for me.
The top 2 in this draft are the only ones I think have a legitimate shot of NOT being in that group. But I'm not sure it's a great shot.

Of the QBs, it's Bridgewater or Bortles with Bridgewater having the best shot at being a great QB.
Old 03-16-2014   #172
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If this is a Quinn, Booty QB class then drafting a QB 1-1 should be out of the question.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014   #173
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
If this is a Quinn, Booty QB class then drafting a QB 1-1 should be out of the question.
Which is why I prefer Robinson, Matthews, or Watkins.
Old 03-16-2014   #174
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Just because YOU think every QB in this draft is Booty doesn't mean that's true.

Onto other subjects... you might find 1 or 2 NFL throws in this reel if you want to see if he doesn't make any:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwXqubJpNlg
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014   #175
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105991 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The top 2 in this draft are the only ones I think have a legitimate shot of NOT being in that group. But I'm not sure it's a great shot.

Of the QBs, it's Bridgewater or Bortles with Bridgewater having the best shot at being a great QB.
Actually, even though I'm pulling for Bridgewater, I think Manziel could be the greatest of this draft class. He could also be the absolute worst, which is what makes me cross his name off at 1-1.
Old 03-16-2014   #176
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:

Fair enough, we're in the same camp; Robinson, Watkins, Clowney, I'll even throw Mack in there.
Old 03-19-2014   #177
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77581 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm all in on Khalil Mack as BPA. I believe he's going to beast in the NFL. We need a QB but there are no #1s there. I think the braintrust have probably got a plan in place to address that. Things move slowly on Kirby Dr. ya know?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014   #178
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

There are currently four guys I am considering at 1:1

Bridgewater
Robinson
Mack
Clowney
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014   #179
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24496 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
There are currently four guys I am considering at 1:1

Bridgewater
Robinson
Mack
Clowney
I think right now it is coming down to 3 scenarios for the front office:

1. Take bpa which most people believe to be Clowney.
2. Take the QB you like, which seems to be Bortles.
3. Trade down (maybe even for a "bad" offer).

Manziel and Bridgewater could be the guy with the second scenario, but everything we are reading points to Bortles. And it doesn`t seem that any other player stands out the way Clowney does.

Of those 3 scenarios Id go with number 3 as long as we don`t drop out of the top 8 and get another first rounder (this year or next year) or at least an early second rounder back.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014   #180
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
I think right now it is coming down to 3 scenarios for the front office:

1. Take bpa which most people believe to be Clowney.
2. Take the QB you like, which seems to be Bortles.
3. Trade down (maybe even for a "bad" offer).

Manziel and Bridgewater could be the guy with the second scenario, but everything we are reading points to Bortles. And it doesn`t seem that any other player stands out the way Clowney does.

Of those 3 scenarios Id go with number 3 as long as we don`t drop out of the top 8 and get another first rounder (this year or next year) or at least an early second rounder back.
I'm all for trading down for a bad offer.

I'm not inclined to be fussy or demanding.

I'd swap 1:1 for most teams 1, 2, 3
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read