Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

View Poll Results: Who would be your #1 pick?
Clowney DE 23 21.90%
Mack OLB 3 2.86%
Bridgewater QB 40 38.10%
Manziel QB 16 15.24%
Bortles QB 6 5.71%
Watkins WR 3 2.86%
Matthews OT 4 3.81%
Robinson OT 10 9.52%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-03-2014   #141
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I'm glad I don't have to make this decision. The longer I think about it the more I waffle around and can't settle on a single player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
This is where I'm at. Now I'm hoping we can trade down and get 3-4 first round talents out of this draft
This is me as well. What a strange situation to be in. You have your pick of every eligible player but there's not any players truly separating from the pack. I'm rotating through Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel, Clowney & Watkins. I hate mocks that have trades but I'd prefer one to happen vs taking someone at 1-1. I'd love to drop to 4-6 range and still get one of the top 3 qbs. At 1-1 my head just hurts.
Old 03-03-2014   #142
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 129410 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who would be your #1 choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
This is me as well. What a strange situation to be in. You have your pick of every eligible player but there's not any players truly separating from the pack. I'm rotating through Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel, Clowney & Watkins. I hate mocks that have trades but I'd prefer one to happen vs taking someone at 1-1. I'd love to drop to 4-6 range and still get one of the top 3 qbs. At 1-1 my head just hurts.

Yep, but replace Manziel with OT for me. Either Robinson or Matthews
Brain Cushing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #143
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm still a Bridgewater guy but I would not be upset with a trade down, plenty of depth this year.
Old 03-04-2014   #144
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I do hear what you're saying, but I also feel like everyone focuses so much on 2012 this is how everyone feels, which leads people to think we are getting screwed to have the #1 pick THIS YEAR or something.

Besides 2012 do you know how many years in the last 10 draft years had an 'easy' decision at 1.01?

The answer is 0.

Even Bradford's year there were a lot of people talking about Suh at #1.

Stafford's year might have been a little easier to take him at #1, but out of about 5 'big boards' I saw he was only #1 on 1 of them and frequently ranked between 5-10 (kind of like this year).

Then you can argue the Raiders 'easily' chose Jamarcus, but that's cause the Raiders are dumb and rarely use proper decision making with their high draft picks.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014   #145
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Andrew Luck seemed like an easy decision to me. Probably Stafford and Eli Manning too. 3 outta 10 years at best ain't too great.
Old 03-04-2014   #146
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Andrew Luck seemed like an easy decision to me. Probably Stafford and Eli Manning too. 3 outta 10 years at best ain't too great.
I omitted 2004 and Eli by saying last 10 drafts. 2005 - 2014. Eli was a pretty easy #1 too, you're right.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014   #147
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34365 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, with the Texans seemingly going the rebuild mode - I guess I΄d try to trade down a bit and then select Robinson (at least if they are not in love with any QB). Get draft picks and build the line, so that whoever comes in at QB has a chance. If we can`t get Garrapolo in the 2nd, well then keep going with Keenum. In rebuilding high draft picks are important, so build the lines and the pass rush this year, get a QB, a TE and a safety next year.

I am still in the Bridgewater camp, but if they don`t love a QB and want to be smart and build slowly through the draft, they might as well do it right.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-15-2014   #148
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
Simple poll: if no trade was available to us and you have to select a player, who would it be?
Now that we've had combine fever die down and there have been some significant F/A moves, I wonder what the poll would look like if taken today...?

I'm still for Robinson/Matthews.
Although picking Bridgewater wouldn't have me running to jump off a ledge.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014   #149
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Still Bridgewater here. If you can have a floor high as Matt Ryan, who I think TB is similar to, you make the selection and walk away. I doubt the FO is going to get a legit trade down option, which means they'll have to take #1.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014   #150
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 120523 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Now that we've had combine fever die down and there have been some significant F/A moves, I wonder what the poll would look like if taken today...?

I'm still for Robinson/Matthews.
Although picking Bridgewater wouldn't have me running to jump off a ledge.
There is eight guys that wouldn't have me jumping off a bridge. Clowney and Robinson have the most upside to me. I actually think Robinson will end up the best player to come out of this draft.
Old 03-15-2014   #151
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

The biggest hole on this team is RT. I want Robinson but I would still be pretty happy with Matthews. None of the qbs separate themselves enough from each other and none seem worthy of a number 1 pick and maybe not even top 10 pick. Wr just seems like a waste of a number 1 pick with such glaring needs at other positions. Clowney would be ok now since the departure of Smith and Mitchell but he kind of scares me even though he has all the measurable. Heart is the ? on him. Drafting OT will help whatever qb OB puts out on the field. OL was awful last year. Lets fix it and draft a qb (Jimmy Garoppolo, Zach Mettenberger, or A.J. McCarron) in the 2nd. I would go all defense after that except I would draft OG somewhere from round 4-6.

So basically I am saying with the 1st round pick the Texans need to go with a big ugly. Offense or defense. Robinson looks like he is our best sure thing in that department. Trading down is another option but less likely. If the Texans absolutely are bent on getting a qb with the 1st pick then I hope it is Manziel.

Last edited by bckey; 03-16-2014 at 11:12 AM.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014   #152
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 34200 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Four weeks ago I began developing my defense-centric mock with Barr as my first selection. Two weeks later I modified it with Mack as my selection at 1-1. When I did this poll, I was just being a bit of a contrarian and voted for Manziel. If I had a do over, I'd vote Mack to be consistent with my mock.
Number19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014   #153
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm proud to remain unchanged going Greg Robinson as the best prospect in the draft, best prospect in fact since Andrew Luck. Nothing changed tape has been in for months, go with the biggest freak of nature, gonna have to search wide & far for impact player @ QB position I fear..... may have to revisit Tajh Boyd 3rd rd. & hope he turns a Russel Wilson.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014   #154
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Clowney or Robinson.

The thought of signing Wilfork and having Clowney and Watt in the front 7 is very appealing.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014   #155
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Clowney or Robinson.

The thought of signing Wilfork and having Clowney and Watt in the front 7 is very appealing.
Fearful Wilfork is our next Ed Reed and Clowney is another Vernon Gholston.
Old 03-16-2014   #156
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm still where I was. I think Watkins is going to be the best player coming out of this draft. So that's who I'd pick.

That doesn't help us much.

After that if I decided to pick who would probably help our team more, I'd select Robinson or Matthews.

I'm not feeling these QBs or these DE/LBs.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014   #157
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 8212 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Robinson, Clowney and Watkins. I believe all three will be difference makers. Next tier is Mack, Matthews, Evans and Donald. If we can trade down and get any of those 7 and extra picks then I'd be ecstatic.

We need impact players and I'm not feeling any of the QBs in the top 10 picks. While we don't really need a WR and some are saying why are you pimping Aaron Donald for the Texans, I actually like him as an OLB (call me insane)...I believe we have to take the best football player available when we pick.

Bortles has the measurables, but I just didn't see a guy I would take at 1-1 in the bowl game or any other film. TB is OK, but I'm not seeing him at #1, maybe in the 10-20 range. Johnny Manziel I love, but I can't see him at 1-1. If we trade back twice and end in the 8-12 range, he would bring a lot of excitement, passion and swagger to our offense...all things we need. I'm just not sure he's Bob's kinda QB.

The safe pick is probably Robinson, put him a RT now and groom him to replace Brown eventually. Clowney could be a Willie McG kind of player in a Pat's defense. It would be fun to see Vrabel and Kollar fight to see who gets him. Watkins is electric and adding him to our current WRs would make us very potent. He becomes AJ replacement down the road.

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014   #158
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

The more I watch Bridgewater, the more I like him. I'm serious when I say he's probably the most NFL ready prospect in this draft. He can make all the throws and he's fearless in throwing into tight windows. Bridgewater is an effective runner in that he runs with a purpose. Which is to keep the play alive and move the chains.

I mentioned in the Bortles thread that I liked Blake because he's a battler. He is. Watch Bridgewater in the UConn game when he was a soph. He and the team struggled all day. But came up with a 92 yard drive at the end of regulation to tie the score. Was carried off the field with a knee injury in the 1st ot. Came back in the 2nd ot with a td pass to tie the score. It didn't have a happy ending, but that game showed a lot to me of Bridgewater's character.
Old 03-16-2014   #159
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Film study: A detailed look at the Texans' potential No. 1 QB picks
Quote:
Two local college defensive coordinators – who have more than 50 combined years of coaching, including stints in the NFL, Southeastern and Big 12 Conferences -- recently opened their film rooms to the Houston Chronicle, providing a detailed look at how they countered, attacked and mostly tried to survive Bridgewater, Bortles and Manziel.
Quote:
Teddy Bridgewater

Gibbs got Bortles and Bridgewater at the perfect time. The late-season Nov. 9 and 16 American Athletic Conference road matchups weren't ideal for the Cougars, who dropped from a season-best six games above .500 to 7-3. But Gibbs had more than two months' worth of game film as he prepared for the duo and the Cougars' defense..
Quote:
Blake Bortles

Gibbs turned to Penn State – former home of new Texans coach Bill O'Brien – in the attempt to decipher Bortles.

On Sept. 14, Central Florida pulled off a surprising 34-31 victory against O'Brien's Nittany Lions in State College, Pa. Five games later, Bortles' Knights hosted the Cougars in Orlando, Fla. Gibbs borrowed a Penn State blitz to attack Bortles and the Cougars defensive coordinator entered a Nov. 9 matchup believing his gutsy defense could also surprise. "I thought we could pick the ball off from Bortles a couple times," Gibbs said...
Quote:
Johnny Manziel

Thurmond has devoted more than 30 years of his life to college football. Rice's defensive coordinator has never seen anyone – on the field or on film – like Manziel.

Thurmond rolled two tapes to prove it. The first, Thurmond turned to when he..
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spor...e82440d8ff4dd2
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014   #160
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The more I watch Bridgewater, the more I like him. I'm serious when I say he's probably the most NFL ready prospect in this draft.
His most impressive throws are darts into tight coverage.... but they are few & far between. When I'm looking for "all the throws" I'm expecting to see quick outs, out routes in general, fades along the sideline, deep posts, as well as a plethora of throws to the middle of the field; slants, deep slants, deep crossers, post routes, etc...

I did not chart Teddy's throws, nor any of the other QBs, but there is a lack of out routes in just about all of them. Teddy in particular, I get the feeling he mostly throws curl routes, & comebacks outside the hashes. Slants & shallow crossers to the middle, some comebacks.

As far as being pro ready, or the most pro ready, it's difficult for me to say that about any QB playing in the ACC, the Big East even (unless it were basketball).

A good prospect no doubt. The best prospect, maybe. He is most probably going to have a nice NFL career. I'm thinking along the lines of Matthew Stafford, especially with the receivers we've got (assuming Andre has a couple of more top of the league performances left in him). Someone said Matt Ryan the other day, I can see that as well.

But I still do not see him as an elite talent, or someone we can pass elite talent on.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read