Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

View Poll Results: Who would be your #1 pick?
Clowney DE 23 21.90%
Mack OLB 3 2.86%
Bridgewater QB 40 38.10%
Manziel QB 16 15.24%
Bortles QB 6 5.71%
Watkins WR 3 2.86%
Matthews OT 4 3.81%
Robinson OT 10 9.52%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2014   #61
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who would be your #1 choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I'd really look at Carr if he falls to the second round. I know there is a bad taste left in the palate of many after his brother, but he is not his brother, who really wasn't that bad initially.
I wouldn't touch HHWNBM V2.0.

He struggles against pressure more than any of the top half of the draft QB's and in the NFL , you are going to be pressured.

Bortles , Bridgewater , Garoppolo , Manziel , McCarron and Mettenberger I'd consider in rounds one thru three.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014   #62
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 24103 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
I voted Bortles because I didn't want Texian to feel alone.
I didn't realize there was so little love for bortles around here....
I voted him because I am biased vs the other two QBs

I'm not an expert, so my opinion doesn't count, but I have this strange feeling manziel could be another tebow, and bridgewater another of those "NFL ready QBs" that flops big in the League.

At least noone is overrating bortles (unless he is complete garbage).

anyways I would be ok with the texans picking any of those 3 QBs
I will look at any of them closely hoping he turns out to be the best out of the QBs crop
Old 02-24-2014   #63
jradMIT
Veteran

Rep Power: 7120 jradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Today .... Manziel. Ask me again tomorrow I'm liable to say Bridgewater.

Those two are very close and Bortles isn't very far from them.

I think I'd trade down to #4 with Cleveland pending I got #26 and either their 2nd or 3rd , take the top QB remaining at #4 and the best OT / CB.

If Bortles , Bridgewater and Manziel go 1-2-3 after that trade down .... I'll just take Greg Robinson or Sammy Watkins and look to get A.J. McCarron later.
Not a bad plan if you have the 3 qb's nearly the same. It would put STL in a good position to trade back and let some other team jump into it at 3. But if you really like the other guys a lot, Matthews, Watkins, Clowney, Robinson, Barr etc. Its not a bad plan if you get the two extra picks. Its really hard for me to see Watkins fall past STL though.
jradMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014   #64
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 8095 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

in a league where QB is king, i select with the 1st overall, clowney. because the prospect of watt + clowney disrupting the oppositions QBs could give us the best defense in the league.

that being said, we do need to find some QB to be at least average for this year.
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014   #65
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95426 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Bridgewater I guess, you he seems to be coming more and more average.

Johnny Football is intriguing, but too damn small.

Bortles? Maybe the next Jay Cutler, maybe the next Gabbert.

I see these 3 as the only viable options. Not a fan of McCarron outside of round 3
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014   #66
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113664 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
I didn't realize there was so little love for bortles around here....
I voted him because I am biased vs the other two QBs

I'm not an expert, so my opinion doesn't count, but I have this strange feeling manziel could be another tebow, and bridgewater another of those "NFL ready QBs" that flops big in the League.

At least noone is overrating bortles (unless he is complete garbage).

anyways I would be ok with the texans picking any of those 3 QBs
I will look at any of them closely hoping he turns out to be the best out of the QBs crop
To the contrary, I think Bortles is where he is because the media has pushed him up to be with all the talk of "Bortles could go #1" or "Texans looking at Bortles & Manziel" etc. Bortles reminds me of a less polished Ryan Tannehill.
Old 02-24-2014   #67
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94431 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
To the contrary, I think Bortles is where he is because the media has pushed him up to be with all the talk of "Bortles could go #1" or "Texans looking at Bortles & Manziel" etc. Bortles reminds me of a less polished Ryan Tannehill.
Actually that is a pretty good description.
Old 02-24-2014   #68
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83329 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jake Locker?
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014   #69
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113664 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Jake Locker?
Actually, yes. I'm not saying Bortles is bad... but at 1-1? No way. Maybe 1-10 or 1-15. Really belongs in the 10-20 range.
Old 02-24-2014   #70
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90121 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I've compared him to both Tannehill and Locker whereas most people seem to compare him to Roethlisberger and Luck.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014   #71
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I've compared him to both Tannehill and Locker whereas most people seem to compare him to Roethlisberger and Luck.
I think people get hung up on Roethlisberger because of the body type. Luck was far far more advanced as a passer out of college, though.
Old 02-24-2014   #72
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83329 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Look at the the talent gap between those comparisons and it's pretty easy to figure out who is comparing him to Big Ben and Luck...

I like Bortles. Hell, I liked Locker. But this is a guy who needs two years minimum on the bench. Do you use the #1 pick on that?
Old 02-24-2014   #73
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90121 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think people get hung up on Roethlisberger because of the body type. Luck was far far more advanced as a passer out of college, though.
I fully agree. He has Tannehill-like raw physical tools, but plays a lot like Locker. If you look at the stats, he has much better college stats then Locker did, but when I watch him play that's who I think of.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 02-24-2014   #74
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I keep telling myself that I need to watch more of Mack, but I have yet to get around to it. He had a good day today and some of his highlights against OSU were impressive.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014   #75
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I keep telling myself that I need to watch more of Mack, but I have yet to get around to it. He had a good day today and some of his highlights against OSU were impressive.
Reminds me a bit of Von Miller, just without the level of competition. Dude tore it up vs. tOSU though, so that's gotta count for something.
Old 02-24-2014   #76
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 60634 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

I changed my mind. Now I'd like Robinson.
Marshall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014   #77
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think he's getting a little bit more press right now than he should, but I do think he's the best LB this year. As Barr moves down the board, Mack will move up because teams covet pass rushers.

I refer to him as the Bridgewater of the LB group. I wouldn't say he's elite in any area, but is good across the board and ready to come in and play now. If he played at a bigger school there would be few questions about him.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 02-24-2014   #78
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I keep telling myself that I need to watch more of Mack...
tldr, watch Baylor and OSU games. Frames the conversation, imo.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014   #79
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
tldr, watch Baylor and OSU games. Frames the conversation, imo.
IMO ... that was Buffalo's Super Bowl and maybe OSU showed up asleep . I wonder if that was in the 1st or 2nd half .
Old 02-24-2014   #80
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
IMO ... that was Buffalo's Super Bowl and maybe OSU showed up asleep . I wonder if that was in the 1st or 2nd half .
OSU actually got up by three scores early and then Buffalo charged back behind some big plays by Mack.

Buffalo was just so outmatched at every other position that they had no shot. Hyde was suspended for that game so his backup filled in and ran really well. Ohio St obviously schemed to play away from Mack but he still made tons of plays.

Would have loved to see him on a team with some talent surrounding him.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read