Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-19-2014   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 306681 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kyle Van Noy, OLB BYU

PROSPECT PROFILE: KYLE VAN NOY
Quote:
Could BYU's Kyle Van Noy be the most overlooked man in the NFL draft? Many pundits have anointed Jadeveon Clowney, Anthony Barr and Khalil Mack as the three best defensive ends available, and CJ Mosley as the most versatile linebacker, but Van Noy needs to be in the discussion. After analyzing six or more games of the aforementioned players, Van Noy rated second to Mack in percentage of plays made against the run, and he was number one in percentage of pass rush attempts leading to pressure or sacks.

More than that production, Van Noy's greatest strength may be his ability to...
Seems to be enough interest in KVN around here to warrant his own thread. While I don't see Dee Ford dropping to us at 2-1, Van Noy might. Is KVN a fit...?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #2
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kyle Van Noy, OLB BYU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
PROSPECT PROFILE: KYLE VAN NOY

Seems to be enough interest in KVN around here to warrant his own thread. While I don't see Dee Ford dropping to us at 2-1, Van Noy might. Is KVN a fit...?
Is he a fit? YES! Is he an option? NO, not at 2-1 with Reed and Mercilus on the roster and holes at DE, DT, TE.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #3
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

He's the best defensive player I've watched in this draft. I'd take him #1 overall and not blink. Really, on film I put him on par with bridgewater as the top prospects I've seen. If he's there at 2.1 you thank god, your lucky stars, or whatever and you pull that trigger.

Don't care about Reed or Mercilus. This guy has stud written all over him.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #4
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 306681 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Is he a fit? YES! Is he an option? NO, not at 2-1 with Reed and Mercilus on the roster and holes at DE, DT, TE.
Brooks Reed was rated 41st/42 3-4 OLBs and Whitney Mercilus was rated 42nd/42 3-4 OLBs overall last year -- that's last & laster, which matches their pass rush grade rankings except Mercilus shaded Reed.

Add in SCB Brice McCain's rating of 110th/110 CBs and those are the weakest links on our defense in 2013. (All >25% team snaps, PFF.)

We've got more holes than draft picks at this point, imo.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #5
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 8368 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Brooks Reed AND Brandon Harris over Justin Houston. Little bit o weed drops you a lot. Houston was rated a first rd talent if I'm not mistaken

Your man... Pots and pans
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #6
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 25944 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Mercilus plays the elephant. Noy would play the strong side, allowing Reed to move inside. Reed doesn't have the skills to cover TE's playing on the outside. The real problem is, I'm beginning to see Van Noy slip into the bottom of the first round.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #7
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95464 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
Mercilus plays the elephant. Noy would play the strong side, allowing Reed to move inside. Reed doesn't have the skills to cover TE's playing on the outside. The real problem is, I'm beginning to see Van Noy slip into the bottom of the first round.
I don't know why people are surprised. He overshadowed Ansah (#5 pick by Lions) last year. I have him rated top 20 on my board. I think he's better than Barr personally.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-19-2014   #8
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

If he is there at 33, DO IT.

I doubt he will be though, he is that good.

Currently have him at #18 on my personal big board.
Old 02-19-2014   #9
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
I think van noy can play either side and I wouldn't pencil in merciless not reed. Both should be competing for playing time. Didn't like the merciless pick at all when we made it but I won't write him off yet. Still has time to get better but he needs some real competition.

We need much better from our OLB's. Much better.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #10
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I don't know why people are surprised. He overshadowed Ansah (#5 pick by Lions) last year. I have him rated top 20 on my board. I think he's better than Barr personally.
He is my 3rd rated LB after Mack and Mosley.
Old 02-19-2014   #11
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd love to draft this kid, I just don't think he's going to be there for us.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #12
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

He's currently ranked #38 on CBS big board, so yes I think there's a chance we could get him at 2-1. I know these rankings aren't engraved in stone and don't mean much on draft day but I do think it's possible he could be available at 2-1. I'd love to have him at SOLB.

In all honesty though I'd look for that 2-1 pick to be traded down, we've just got so many holes to fill and an extra 3rd would really come in handy.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #13
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68323 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Trade down from 1 and get Matthews. Trade up with assets to get this guy. Then draft a QB in the third or whatever we have left.

Just a nice path we could take if it works.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #14
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he is a fit. He is a fit for all 32 defenses. I am not spending anymore than the #33 pick on him. He is a nice player who could go in the 1st since he could play for any defense, but I think he is properly slotted at the very top of the 2nd.

He would be nice to have, but I think more pressing needs will be addressed with our #2.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #15
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Brooks Reed was rated 41st/42 3-4 OLBs and Whitney Mercilus was rated 42nd/42 3-4 OLBs overall last year -- that's last & laster, which matches their pass rush grade rankings except Mercilus shaded Reed.

Add in SCB Brice McCain's rating of 110th/110 CBs and those are the weakest links on our defense in 2013. (All >25% team snaps, PFF.)

We've got more holes than draft picks at this point, imo.
All understood. However as of today there is no one on the depth chart at DE, DT, #2 TE, LILB and no salary cap $. You're absolutely RIGHT about holes and draft picks.

Last edited by Texian; 02-20-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #16
texan_joe
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 texan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respected

If he is there at #33 and about they don't take him, they will regret it for a decade. He's a stud. They would also then be able to finally move Reed inside.
That said, he won't be there at 33. ILB is a big hole on this team, and if you were to take a LB at 33 then Shayne Skov should be the pick.
texan_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #17
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

If ur viewing him as a rush olb, I think you will be disapointed. He's very good in coverage. With his ability to decipher route concepts.
Old 02-21-2014   #18
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 71588 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
OK. Say Van Noye and Amaro are both there at #33. Which do you choose? If I'm understanding you (Texian) correctly, it would be Jace Amaro.

What about the rest of you?

I'm out because I traded the 2nd in a series of trades for 2015 firsts.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #19
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 25944 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
If ur viewing him as a rush olb, I think you will be disapointed. He's very good in coverage. With his ability to decipher route concepts.
The SSOLB's primary responsibility is in coverage against the TE and RB, and in run support. Although called upon to rush the QB on occasion, it is not a primary responsibility. This responsibility falls to the ELEPHANT.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #20
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
OK. Say Van Noye and Amaro are both there at #33. Which do you choose? If I'm understanding you (Texian) correctly, it would be Jace Amaro.

What about the rest of you?

I'm out because I traded the 2nd in a series of trades for 2015 firsts.
Do I have any other options? I would say Amaro. Teddy is gonna need more weapons to grow with.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read