Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans 2014 Preview - CBS EYE-on-Footall

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Link
Ridiculously Premature Prediction for 2014

There's enough talent on offense, minus a quarterback, and enough available assets for this team that a bounceback looks completely conceivable. The Texans play in perhaps the weakest division in the NFL and O'Brien should be able to fix the offense quickly. Romeo Crennel's been real bad as a head coach, but he's had success as a defensive coordinator. It's not a stretch to see the Texans returning to a 2012-level-ish of success if they can put some pieces around Watt.

Expecting double-digit wins is out of the question but that should apply to just about every team in the league at this time of year. It's much harder to win 10 games in the NFL than people would like to think. I want to be optimistic given the changes but getting burned by 2013 holds me back until we see who they've got under center.

Predicted Record: 8-8

My sentiments exactly. And I will also add, until I see who O'Brien trots out there as his offensive line.

If this article has been posted elsewhere, feel free to delete this thread or move this post where it belongs.

this team does not have has much Superstars or talent up and down the roster has people on the outside think bottom line right now we are not that talent does not mean we cant be just have younger guys step up

and 8-8 man I hope that's the high mark

I was thinking me like 5-11 6-10

Right now I'm guessing 8-8 but it's too early for a firm prediction, until we see the draft and the free agent market.

this team does not have has much Superstars or talent up and down the roster has people on the outside think bottom line right now we are not that talent does not mean we cant be just have younger guys step up

You thought AJ was washed up 4 years ago and continue to harp on it. Sorry, don't trust your talent evaluation.

The entire quoted paragraph is useless observation.

They are good, but not bad. I think they can turn it around. The wear blue. And like hot weather.

You thought AJ was washed up 4 years ago and continue to harp on it. Sorry, don't trust your talent evaluation.

I didn't say that I think other NFL players were saying hes a glorfied Physical SLot reciver will get u those 4 to 6 yard chain movers

kinda like anquin Boldin

I didn't say that I think other NFL players were saying hes a glorfied Physical SLot reciver will get u those 4 to 6 yard chain movers

kinda like anquin Boldin

Who?

FYI - in a year without a QB AJ was 12.9 ypr. His last 2 years he had more receptions over 20 yards than any other stretch of his career.

Wanna try again?

The entire quoted paragraph is useless observation.

They are good, but not bad. I think they can turn it around. The wear blue. And like hot weather.

Where does it say anything about weather or color preferences?

All you guys are downers, i am expecting 10-14 wins, and an AFC championship game apperance. And then Houstons first ever Lombardi Trophy !!! Yeah that is my expectations

I won't predict anything without a QB and RT. As a general matter I think we should have a larger than normal bounce back. 6 wins would be a sign something went wrong.

All you guys are downers, i am expecting 10-14 wins, and an AFC championship game apperance. And then Houstons first ever Lombardi Trophy !!! Yeah that is my expectations

We're either going to be the third team in a row to go from 2-14 to double digit wins, or we're going to be the first team in three seasons who couldn't pull it off.

Completely depends on who's gonna be under center.

I don't believe that. I know we look at these other teams with "great" QBs & we're totally envious.

But we looked pretty good with Matt Schaub for a good while there. Maybe we never got to the Super Bowl with him, but neither did the Lions with Stafford, or Atlanta with Ryan... & they only recently won a play-off game, granted they got to the NFC Championship game, but that success disappeared as quickly as ours did.

I still believe had he not broke his foot, we'd have been in the Super Bowl in 2011, on the back of Arian Foster & that young, hungry defense.

Don't get me wrong, if OB feels that Bridgewater is a franchise QB, I hope like hell we get him. But if we can't run the ball..... if our defense don't contribute to wins... we'll be Dallas, or St. Louis, or Detroit, or San Diego, or Arizona, or last year's Steelers.

It's still a team game.

Well first thing we need is to have a QB who doesn't lose games for us, and then we can advance from there.

And the way to that objective is to fix the damned O-line. The way I see it, that's a root cause issue. No matter which QB you draft, he'll need time to throw. Even if Foster comes back 100%, if there isn't solid blocking in front of him, his effectiveness will be limited. Even if you draft Clowney to bolster the defense, they ("they" being Clowney and Watt) will wear down in the second half of games because our offense cannot stay on the field and keep them (relatively) fresh.

Success begins in the trenches boys and girls. There's no way around that in my mind.

I can see drafting Clowney at 1-1 and the best OT on the board at 2-1 and THEN drafting a QB. But address the issues in the trenches first.

I can see drafting Clowney at 1-1 and the best OT on the board at 2-1 and THEN drafting a QB. But address the issues in the trenches first.

I wouldn't mind best OT in the first, & best OG in the 2nd. Quessenberry was Kubiak's project & Newton was his illegitimate child. I wouldn't saddle myself with them if I were the new coach.

I wouldn't mind best OT in the first, & best OG in the 2nd. Quessenberry was Kubiak's project & Newton was his illegitimate child. I wouldn't saddle myself with them if I were the new coach.

I can subscribe to this path.
Bottom line: Fix the damned O-line and bolster the front 7 on D.
And THEN if you wanna go QB shopping, have at it.

Past SB's (Seattle v. Peyton, Giants v. Brady just to point out a couple) have shown me that having the best QB in the league might not get it done against a solid, determined defense.
just my :twocents:

did I mention there's no QB in this draft that projects to be anywhere near as prolific as those two guys.

I don't believe that. I know we look at these other teams with "great" QBs & we're totally envious.

But we looked pretty good with Matt Schaub for a good while there. Maybe we never got to the Super Bowl with him, but neither did the Lions with Stafford, or Atlanta with Ryan... & they only recently won a play-off game, granted they got to the NFC Championship game, but that success disappeared as quickly as ours did.

I still believe had he not broke his foot, we'd have been in the Super Bowl in 2011, on the back of Arian Foster & that young, hungry defense.

Don't get me wrong, if OB feels that Bridgewater is a franchise QB, I hope like hell we get him. But if we can't run the ball..... if our defense don't contribute to wins... we'll be Dallas, or St. Louis, or Detroit, or San Diego, or Arizona, or last year's Steelers.

It's still a team game.

Of course it's a team game, but the quarterback more than any other position in football can win or lose you games. There have certainly been seasons where guys like Brady and Manning have carried the entire team on their shoulders (2013 Pats, 2010 Colts) and others where awful QB has doomed teams even if there is talent at other positions (2011 Colts, 2012 Chiefs, 2013 Texans). I would love a great QB but we have to have someone that at least doesn't lose us games and can put us in a spot to win.

And the way to that objective is to fix the damned O-line. The way I see it, that's a root cause issue. No matter which QB you draft, he'll need time to throw. Even if Foster comes back 100%, if there isn't solid blocking in front of him, his effectiveness will be limited. Even if you draft Clowney to bolster the defense, they ("they" being Clowney and Watt) will wear down in the second half of games because our offense cannot stay on the field and keep them (relatively) fresh.

Success begins in the trenches boys and girls. There's no way around that in my mind.

yuuuup.

Back