Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-29-2014   #61
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mike Mayock 2014 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Sometimes that 15% can be THE difference maker. That's why they have a Combine and Pro days. In TB's case the Pro Day confirmed and verified many of the questions a number of folks said they had from watching TB games and tape. Completely understandable for many, for those in love with Teddy, not so much.
I like Teddy a lot, but very rarely do I fall in love with a prospect. You're not going to get very far with me with that argument.

The 15% was enough for me to drop Bridgewater behind Bortles in my rankings. I understand the concerns about him. You and I have clashed enough times on this board to understand that the other guy may not always be right, but he does at least know what he is talking about.

My point is that it takes a lot more than 15% to drop a guy from 1st all the way to 6th. If Mayock would just admit that I would be fine with his opinion. There was a time when Mayock was a guy who would stand on his own opinion. That time has passed. His rankings used to look drastically different from everybody else. Now they look exactly the same.

The reason for that? I don't know. He's a busy man these days. Perhaps he doesn't have the time to do the amount of research that he used to. Or perhaps his hard work has given him a reputation that makes him untouchable, so he has decided to slide back toward the average and avoiding taking risks? Whatever the case, if you put his board next to Kiper's and McShay's you wouldn't be able to tell which is his.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #62
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 159792 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Negative Ghost Rider!

FYI - most coaches and scouts only watch 3-4 games of a players top competition. Contrary to popular belief they don't watch every game of a players college and high school career. It's physically impossible to do such a task on 500 players. You can do the math.
Maverick still requesting flyby - Some do and some don't. It depends on the player and position of need. They will definitely watch more tape of "top" prospects.

Quote:
The Do's
Jeremiah went more in-depth on the process with fellow former Seahawks and Panthers scout Bucky Brooks on their CFB 24/7 podcast recently, expounding on the method to the madness of trying to land on a grade. "A lot of times when we'd get a discussion on a player," he said, "we would go up to the whiteboard, go around the room and say, okay, 'Which games did you watch? Which games did you watch?' Then literally, the director in the room would be like, ‘Okay, Bucky, why don't you go watch these four late-season games, D.J., you need to go watch these three games you missed early in the year. Let's come back together and see if we can't figure this guy out. We got to get him right, we got to get him where he belongs."

That's a classic methodology developed by Ozzie Newsome, the Ravens' highly-respected and preeminent scout-GM. However, as Bucky Brooks relates, that's certainly not universal from team to team.

The Don'ts
"It's funny," Brooks says, "when I worked in Seattle -- and the Green Bay Packers did this with Ted Thompson and Ron Wolf -- when we had these pre-Combine meetings, we would go in at the end of January, we would sit in this room, we'd pop on the tape, Kony Ealy (for example), and we would watch, as a group, three games. At the end of watching three games, as a unit, we would then decide where that player would go on the board."
Link
Old 04-29-2014   #63
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Maverick still requesting flyby - Some do and some don't. It depends on the player and position of need. They will definitely watch more tape of "top" prospects.

Link
FTR - I don't follow or read Brooks or Jeremiah. Both have illustrated quite well why they're no longer scouts and have resorted to talking and writing heads. In Jeremiah's case he had 3 jobs in 6 years. That kind of resume goes straight in my trash can. They do know all the lexicon, definitions, scout talk, drills and their purpose. Unfortunately they don't have an eye for the talent and why they're no longer scouts. They weren't very good at it.

That said, your quotes indicate that they watched 3-4 games and only watched more when directed by the GM to do so. Still the average number of games a scout or coach will watch of an average player will be 3-4 games. There is an exception for 1st picks when there is more scrutiny at stake.

It's understandable that many have become upset with Mayock because he had some not so nice things to say about Teddy. Many have now turned on Mayock for downgrading Teddy. Also understandable is Mayock would be the GREATEST if he announced that Teddy is the next best thing to Andrew Luck. He didn't. However, if Mayock has resorted to copy catting, regurgitating, parroting or simply repeating what all the others have to say, as some have accused, why is Mayock one of the few saying what he's saying about Teddy. If Mayock was truly resorting to becoming all of the above, then everyone would be saying what Mayock is saying about Teddy. They're not! It appears that Mayock is not who many of you think he is.
Old 04-29-2014   #64
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 159792 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That said, your quotes indicate that they watched 3-4 games and only watched more when directed by the GM to do so. Still the average number of games a scout or coach will watch of an average player will be 3-4 games. There is an exception for 1st picks when there is more scrutiny at stake.
Thanks for making my point...again.

You're mistaking my taking Mayock to task for player preference. Teddy was simply a high-profile example. Nobody should go from #1 at their position (not to mention potential 1:1 overall) to #5/#6 in 8 weeks without some sort of major disaster. We're not talking mediocre Pro Day, we're talking hit-and-run, felony drug possession, broke their leg, shattered their knee, etc.

Since that didn't happen, either A) Mayock didn't do his homework to begin with or...B) He's regurgitating what he's hearing now from others around the league who might actually have done theirs.

Mayock simply isn't who you think he is, the rest of us are fine.
Old 04-29-2014   #65
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
My point is that it takes a lot more than 15% to drop a guy from 1st all the way to 6th.
I don't know. If you believe what OB said, that there are 10 guys that are really close, I can see a QB falling quite a bit in a draft like this... I believe there are 5 QBs in this draft with a first round grade, another 4 with a 2nd round grade. There are going to be some really good QBs available in the later rounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
If Mayock would just admit that I would be fine with his opinion.
Agree. Totally agree. I couldn't see Bridgewater as the #1 overall QB with the questions I had. I said so. Shouldn't have been too hard for Mayock to say what he felt as well.

Having Bridgewater rated as the best QB in this class, then mocking him at #1 overall with no other QB going in the top 10 (way back when), doesn't sound like he believes the QBs in this class are close at all.
Old 05-03-2014   #66
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Mayock 5/1 Conference Call Transcript:

http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/...transcript.pdf

It was 2 hours, mike pee'd, he had some takes.

If you don't want to read it, you can let this guy give you his highlights:

2014 NFL Draft nuggets from NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read