Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-24-2014   #41
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 138774 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ray Rice arrested in Atlantic City

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Once Cierre Wood hits the field for Baltimore they won't need Rice anymore anyway.
I still wish we'd held on to that guy, pot be damned
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014   #42
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Jane McManus ‏@janesports
Quote:
Last month I interviewed NFL head of HR. Robert Gulliver told me, "We just simply don’t tolerate instances of domestic violence."

Ralph Vacchiano ‏@RVacchianoNYDN
Quote:
Taking Aderall with a perscription but failing to fill out the paperwork with the league gets you four games. Knocking out a woman? Two.
Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero
Quote:
Two-game ban for Ray Rice. I really want to know what else is on that tape.
Richard Deitsch @richarddeitsch
Quote:
People should go off on the NFL for the Ray Rice non-punishment. The optics are horrible on the adjudication.
Chris Burke ‏@ChrisBurke_SI
Quote:
Good thing Ray Rice didn't test positive for Adderall after punching his fiancee because then the league would be really mad.
Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP
Quote:
Greg Hardy's girlfriend never lost consciousness during her beating and strangling, so the NFL will only be suspending him 1 game.

I wonder if the NFL went easy on Ray Rice in part so their non-punishment of Irsay and Haslam won't look so bad in comparison.

List of NFL no-nos:
1. Free tattoos in college.
2. Smoking weed.
1,579. Beating women unconscious.

Reminder: The NFL suspended Terrelle Pryor for FIVE games for getting free tattoos in college.

Knock your girlfriend out cold: 2-game suspension.
Smoke weed: 4-game suspension.
NFL logic, ladies and gentlemen.

Last edited by Playoffs; 07-24-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014   #43
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109428 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Jane McManus ‏@janesports
Ralph Vacchiano ‏@RVacchianoNYDN

Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero

Richard Deitsch @richarddeitsch

Chris Burke ‏@ChrisBurke_SI

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP
This deserves to be destroyed. Its optics, as Deitsch (one of my faves for media watching) said, are beyond appalling.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014   #44
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
I still wish we'd held on to that guy, pot be damned
was he your connection?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014   #45
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Goodell's official statement on the 2 game suspension/3 game $ loss:

Quote:
“As you acknowledged during our meeting, your conduct was unquestionably inconsistent with league polices and the standard of behavior required of everyone who is part of the NFL,” Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a letter to Rice. “The league is an entity that depends on integrity and in the confidence of the public and we simply cannot tolerate conduct that endangers others or reflects negatively on our game. This is particularly true with respect to domestic violence and other forms of violence against women.”
Good job of maintaining the unblemished integrity of the NFL.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014   #46
austins23
Veteran

Section: GridIron 525
Rep Power: 23117 austins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is disgusting. The NFL should be ashamed. I lose my job if convicted of family violence. Misdemeanor or Felony! And this cat was arraigned on a THIRD DEGREE felony.

Really, really lame.
Old 07-24-2014   #47
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by austins23 View Post
This is disgusting. The NFL should be ashamed. I lose my job if convicted of family violence. Misdemeanor or Felony! And this cat was arraigned on a THIRD DEGREE felony.

Really, really lame.
Do you see the key word difference in your sentences? - convicted v. arraigned.

I'm not fond of the NFL handing out punishment without a conviction except for the drug/alcohol issues the players agreed to.
Old 07-24-2014   #48
austins23
Veteran

Section: GridIron 525
Rep Power: 23117 austins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

I'm not fond of the NFL handing out punishment without a conviction except for the drug/alcohol issues the players agreed to.
Ok, let me rephrase. I lose my job for simply being arrested for domestic violence. Was he not convicted? And he got two games. Maybe "family violence" should be written into the CBA so that the punishment is harsher. This is WAY worse than smoking a little reefer, IMO.
Old 07-24-2014   #49
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

mark schlereth ‏@markschlereth
Quote:
The NFL... where an alleged punch to the face turns into a slap on the wrist. @nflcommish this punishment is an embarrassment.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014   #50
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Goodell's official statement on the 2 game suspension/3 game $ loss:

Good job of maintaining the unblemished integrity of the NFL.
Could God'ell be a phony?

Unfortunately we will never get to see the tape of what really happened in that elevator. I bet it was WEE worthy.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014   #51
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

I'm not a fan of God'ell being judge and jury even if there are no charges/convictions brought against said player.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014   #52
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 23098 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a Ravens fan so I can see where some people think I may have bias. I do not. No reason to hit a woman, ever. It is only when a Mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize that Violence cannot solve every problem.

#1- no one but the Prosecutor and the NFL people who saw the tape, know whats on it and happened in the elevator. people should use the word "allegedly" when they say Rice "knocked her out"...no one but a select few know.

#2- the comparisons of drug use and Rice's case a ridiculous. :smoke weed get a year, knock a hoe out, get 2 games". Well, Josh Gordon is a 3 time offender. THIRD time he has put something in his body HE KNOWS IS BANNED. Duh. Rice made a horrible mistake- one any of us could and have made already.

#3- the penalties for offenses under the Drug and Alcohol Policy of the NFL are clear cut. 1st time- enter the Program and submit to random testing. 2nd time offense is 4 games. 3rd time is 1 year ban...what Rice did falls under Personal Conduct Policy- where the punishments are vague and widespread.

#4- if players, media, etc are mad at Goodell dispensing justice, the players should be blamed because they agreed to the CBA which left him as judge jury and executioner in exchange for less practice time, less OTA's, less padded practices and more money.

A lot of ignorance is on display here by fans, players, media and generally everyone.
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014   #53
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Quote:
So the Ray Rice Fallout continues with a new domestic violence policy. Six games for 1st offense, lifetime ban for 2nd.
Old 08-28-2014   #54
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Rep Power: 33633 Troy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Once Cierre Wood hits the field for Baltimore they won't need Rice anymore anyway.
Cierre Wood was released on the first cut to 75 players.
Troy Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014   #55
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Quote:
So the Ray Rice Fallout continues with a new domestic violence policy. Six games for 1st offense, lifetime ban for 2nd.
There is nothing vague about that! Good for the NFL.
Old 08-29-2014   #56
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 23098 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I'm not a fan of God'ell being judge and jury even if there are no charges/convictions brought against said player.
Players have no one to blame except themselves for that- they ratified the CBA. They knew what was in it...
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014   #57
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Lenient Ray Rice suspension leads Roger Goodell to admit he was wrong, create new and tougher policy

This is the only reason that this has been acted on.......the NFL, Goodell, the owners and the players have finally been forced to the travel the "walk of shame."

Although NFL player arrests in general seem to be lower than the general population, domestic violence demonstrates an inordinately high distribution.

This article is quite eye-opening to the true problem that exists among NFL players.:
Quote:
The Rate of Domestic Violence Arrests Among NFL Players

12:50 PMJul 31 By Benjamin Morris
Old 08-31-2014   #58
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

This could be worse.

Quote:
Report: Ray McDonald arrested for domestic violence
Posted by Mike Florio on August 31, 2014, 11:22 AM EDT

When it comes to the NFL’s new policy on domestic violence, many of the details won’t be known until a player or two (or more) end up caught in the gears of its application.

The first player to be caught in the gears of the application of the new domestic violence policy apparently will be 49ers defensive end Ray McDonald.

According to Damian Trujillo of NBC Bay Area, McDonald has been arrested for domestic violence.

Per Trujillo, the alleged victim is pregnant, which by the terms of the new policy could result in an eventual suspension beyond the first-offense baseline of six games.

Before the process reaches that point, the case against McDonald will have to develop. ESPN reported in the aftermath of the announcement of the new policy that an “offense” will arise only after final adjudication of the criminal case, which suggests that a civil settlement with the victim that results in no prosecution could help the player escape punishment.

Asked whether the “final adjudication” report from ESPN is accurate, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told PFT, “We deal with the facts of each case at the appropriate time and make decisions on those case when the process is completed.”

The facts of the first case apparently will involve Ray McDonald, a key member of the San Francisco defense who became a full-time starter upon the arrival of coach Jim Harbaugh.

The fact that Harbaugh is McDonald’s coach could create a separate area of trouble for the player, based on this quote from former 49ers safety Donte Whitner: “He said that we can do anything in the world and we can come and talk to him and he’ll forgive us except put our hands on women. If you put your hand on a woman then you’re done in his book.”

So maybe, in the end, Harbaugh will be even harder on McDonald than the league office will be.
As an aside, it seems that this new policy will allow players to avoid suspension if someone is paid off or if there is a plea bargain. If so, that stinks!
Old 08-31-2014   #59
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
This could be worse...
Picked a bad time to beat up a pregnant woman.

BTW, we need a catchall "NFL Police Blotter" thread for these not huge names/headlines arrests/etc.
Old 09-08-2014   #60
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

All doubts now removed............nice going Goodell.

Quote:
Video from inside elevator shows Ray Rice punching wife
Posted by Darin Gantt on September 8, 2014, 6:22 AM EDT

Some defenders of Ray Rice have been clinging to the fact that we hadn’t seen the video of what happened inside the Atlantic City casino elevator that precipitated his wife becoming unconscious, such that it mattered.

Now that we’ve seen it, nothing changes the fact his two-game suspension was so light that the league realized its tremendous error and changed the policy immediately.

TMZ has obtained the video from inside the elevator, and it shows what most expected.

Janay Rice and her now-husband were clearly having some degree of argument. She turned and appeared to be saying something, took a step his direction and he laid her out with a quick left to the face.

It certainly does not appear that she was about to inflict harm on him in the moments before she was knocked unconscious, and later dragged out of the elevator.

The visual is stark and troubling, and a chilling reminder of how egregious Roger Goodell’s initial mistake was.
HERE IS THE VIDEO

As reported by TMZ:
Quote:
Inside the elevator it's apparent he strikes first ... she hits back ... and then Rice delivers the knockout blow.
The punch knocks Janay off her feet -- and she smashes her head on the elevator hand rail ... knocking her out cold. Ray doesn't seem phased ... and when the door opens, he drags her out into the hotel.

An employee of the hotel -- which just shut down for good -- tells TMZ Sports he was working there at the time and says the NFL saw the elevator footage before imposing the 2-game suspension.

We reached out to the NFL for comment several times -- so far, radio silence.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read