Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-17-2014   #81
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Center Battle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Don't be surprised to see Filo gain at least 5 pounds by the end of training camp as many rookies do as they bulk up. Wade Smith was a similar 6'4" and weighed only 295. A more mobile, stronger, meaner Filo at a probable 312 or more will be more than big enough and a huge upgrade. BTW, Long is more of a project and doesn't move all that well.........and Jackson is a fatty who is a decent anchor but has a problem off the line with the slowest 40 time at the Combine.......neither a great comparison to Filo.
But that is exactly the point, Doc.
Looks like OB wants a good player, not a big body.
If a player can build up his strength by gaining muscle and not losing weight, I'm sure any coach would love it.

Kubiak, on the other hand, didn't necessarily "prefer" small/agile linemen.
Brandon Brooks weighed in at 346 at his pro day.
Kubiak must have been comfortable with that to draft him.
Duane Brown was 315 at the combine, about average or just above average weigh for an OT.
Antoine Caldwell at 309 was "bigger" than 2/3 of the centers started last year in the NFL.
I don't think Kubiak can expect to get a player in with the hope that he can easily trim up just like that.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014   #82
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Center Battle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
But that is exactly the point, Doc.
Looks like OB wants a good player, not a big body.
If a player can build up his strength by gaining muscle and not losing weight, I'm sure any coach would love it.

Kubiak, on the other hand, didn't necessarily "prefer" small/agile linemen.
Brandon Brooks weighed in at 346 at his pro day.
Kubiak must have been comfortable with that to draft him.
Duane Brown was 315 at the combine, about average or just above average weigh for an OT.
Antoine Caldwell at 309 was "bigger" than 2/3 of the centers started last year in the NFL.
I don't think Kubiak can expect to get a player in with the hope that he can easily trim up just like that.
I understand what you're saying. I am simply trying to point out that "big" on the OL does ideally mean big in the physical and in how the player plays. Caldwell filled the bill, before his ankle problems..........Spencer filled the bill, before his knee was destroyed..........and we all saw how 15 pounds contributed (notwithstanding his foot problem) to Brown's performance. Bigger and stronger and athletic is what OB recognizes as a significant key to success in his system. I expect that the "smaller agile" will fairly quickly fall to the wayside.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read