Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-23-2014   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default ILB CJ Mosley - Only one like him in first round

Am I overlooking something? ILB C J Mosley is the only one ranked in first and all positions have a decent alternative at lower pick in that round. Even Nix has Hageman as a possible nose.

Does that increase Mosely value to Texans and move him higher on their board? Of course I am considering him in a trade down scenario.
Old 01-23-2014   #2
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Only one like him in first round

Possibly.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that Brooks Reed will be our starting ILB next year alongside Cushing though.

If that's the case we would obviously want to use that pick on a good enough OLB to run with the job and then a late round ILB to use as depth (which we have none of).

All speculation though, who knows.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014   #3
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
Possibly.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that Brooks Reed will be our starting ILB next year alongside Cushing though.

If that's the case we would obviously want to use that pick on a good enough OLB to run with the job and then a late round ILB to use as depth (which we have none of).

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Crennel can do with Mercilous. Also hope he can make something out of Braman other than a special teams player.
Old 01-23-2014   #4
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I'm really looking forward to seeing what Crennel can do with Mercilous. Also hope he can make something out of Braman other than a special teams player.
I'm there w/ you on Merciless.

You think Braman has a future in the NFL though? I respect that if you do. I personally think he should be thankful a team is using a roster spot on him.
Old 01-23-2014   #5
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 38966 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm there w/ you on Merciless.

You think Braman has a future in the NFL though? I respect that if you do. I personally think he should be thankful a team is using a roster spot on him.
I'm not sure how long he holds that roster spot with the new management. He was borderline all along.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014   #6
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Am I overlooking something? ILB C J Mosley is the only one ranked in first and all positions have a decent alternative at lower pick in that round. Even Nix has Hageman as a possible nose.

Does that increase Mosely value to Texans and move him higher on their board? Of course I am considering him in a trade down scenario.
I think Mosley is the best "Football player" in this draft. I've said it multiple times in multiple threads.

Thing is , he's really an ILB .... and that's a position that doesn't get much consideration with the #1 pick. That spot is generally for pass rushers , QB's , Left Tackles and the occasional WR/CB.

I wouldn't complain one bit if the Texans took him 1:1 or traded back a few picks (4?) and took him there.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014   #7
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89551 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i have no problem taking him first, or more ideally trading down and grabbing him. mosley is another that you figure to be a starter for 10 years with out the questionmarks of some of the other picks, and to me that's a must with your first pick. forget the boom or bust, and forget criticism that may come with a "reach", pick a guy who will be a core player for a long time.

the big selling point IMO is that he's an ILB that can play in coverage, and that aspect can change an entire defense. as we're seeing around the league and especially in the playoffs, linebackers have as much cover responsibility as defensive backs. the tightend position is huge, and crossing routes have become the bread and butter for most of the NFL. you have to have at least 1 guy in the middle, and teams like the 49'ers, seahawks, and steelers are taking it to the next level with 2. mosley with cushing would be a turning point for our defense.
Old 01-23-2014   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Possibly.

There has been no indication of a desire by Texans to move Reed. I would have thought if they wanted to Phillips would have.
Old 01-23-2014   #9
TexansFTW
All Pro

Quote:
There has been no indication of a desire by Texans to move Reed. I would have thought if they wanted to Phillips would have.
IIRC he was being cross trained in camp and throughout the season, just never played the position in a game though.

You may be right though, like I said, all speculation.
Old 01-23-2014   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i have no problem taking him first, or more ideally trading down and grabbing him. mosley is another that you figure to be a starter for 10 years with out the questionmarks of some of the other picks, and to me that's a must with your first pick. forget the boom or bust, and forget criticism that may come with a "reach", pick a guy who will be a core player for a long time.

the big selling point IMO is that he's an ILB that can play in coverage, and that aspect can change an entire defense. as we're seeing around the league and especially in the playoffs, linebackers have as much cover responsibility as defensive backs. the tightend position is huge, and crossing routes have become the bread and butter for most of the NFL. you have to have at least 1 guy in the middle, and teams like the 49'ers, seahawks, and steelers are taking it to the next level with 2. mosley with cushing would be a turning point for our defense.
my thought exactly as I would prefer to trade down and get him but he is a perfect fit for a priority need imo + has intelligence I think required. He was actually listed as OLB for long time by NFL draftscout.com
Old 01-23-2014   #11
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

If we could pull off a trade with cleveland for 4 & 26 and could pick up Mosley and Nix in the first, I would do backflips. Middle of our defense set for years
Old 01-23-2014   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
If we could pull off a trade with cleveland for 4 & 26 and could pick up Mosley and Nix in the first, I would do backflips. Middle of our defense set for years
Nix surgery for knee issues at his weight concerns me and cannot get any feedback on how he is post surgery but probably too soon. I like Carrethers and Cauran Reid (sp) in later rounds. I am focusing on the Oline more than D. If I could land either Cyril Richardson or Gabe Jackson for my LG and JuWuan James for RT that would make any RB and QB better. I think Cyril could play RT so he has edge over Jackson but he may go before #33.
Old 01-23-2014   #13
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 38966 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nix surgery for knee issues at his weight concerns me and cannot get any feedback on how he is post surgery but probably too soon. I like Carrethers and Cauran Reid (sp) in later rounds. I am focusing on the Oline more than D. If I could land either Cyril Richardson or Gabe Jackson for my LG and JuWuan James for RT that would make any RB and QB better. I think Cyril could play RT so he has edge over Jackson but he may go before #33.
Cyril got pushed around I thought. Was it the senior bowl or east-west?
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014   #14
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Haven't been paying that much attention, wasn't aware of knee concerns with Nix. I'll have to re-evaluate then. I think our D up the middle and speed on the back end are our biggest needs outside of qb. If we don't go qb in the first then I want to address those two areas
Old 01-23-2014   #15
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 72750 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be peeved if we take a ILB in the first when we will be in nickel or dime 70% of the time and already have Cushing who needs to play in those formations.
Old 01-23-2014   #16
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77871 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, the jury is still out on Nix's injury(ies) but what have you seen from Carrethers that would counter the claims from the "Professional" draftnics that "he's just a 'big body on the field'"?

Just axin because that's all I'm hearing/reading about him.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014   #17
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89551 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I'd be peeved if we take a ILB in the first when we will be in nickel or dime 70% of the time and already have Cushing who needs to play in those formations.
IMO that adds value to taking an ILB early. instead of so much time in base formations where you can have interchangeable heavies at ILB, you need 2 guys who can stay on the field in passing downs. willis and bowman are the target goal as the best ILB's in the league right now. bowman was in for 98% of the snaps this season and willis was in for 81%. i'd take someone in for 81% of the plays on defense first, though with cushing getting older and having injury issues, he may be the 81% with mosley being the 98%.
Old 01-23-2014   #18
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree with your sentiment but with our LB core Moseley would probably stay on the field in our nickel.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014   #19
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Mosley would likely stay on the field as an OLB in those situations , he's a very good pass rusher .... that would send either Reed or Mercilus to the sidelines.

If he's the best player in the draft , he's the best player .... you take the best player with 1:1.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014   #20
Scooter
Funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
If he's the best player in the draft , he's the best player .... you take the best player with 1:1.
a thousand times yes.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read