Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-14-2014   #1
Nitrofish
Humanoid

Rep Power: 53129 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Andre Johnson believes Texans should trade No. 1 overall pick

Andre Johnson says trade the number one pick away. I know he believes that Keenum has an "Aura" about him, but you would think he would be tired of the mediocre QB talent the Texans have had since day one. What does it all mean?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...rade-no-1-pick

"I always said I wanted to play for one team, and to be able to play for the Houston Texans for the rest of my career, it's a tremendous honor." -Andre Johnson
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #2
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Andre Johnson believes Texans should trade No. 1 overall pick

It means he see's the same things we do in the current QB's being considered with the #1 and that he see's Clowney is a HUGE gamble and that there is greater value in moving back for a bounty of picks rather than gambling on the top pick busting.

He see's the big pile of picks they could get in exchange .... fixing most of the problems on this team all at once and being a playoff contender again real soon ..... that is pending the QB position is solved , be that in house or otherwise.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #3
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
It means he see's the same things we do in the current QB's being considered with the #1 and that he see's Clowney is a HUGE gamble and that there is greater value in moving back for a bounty of picks rather than gambling on the top pick busting.

He see's the big pile of picks they could get in exchange .... fixing most of the problems on this team all at once and being a playoff contender again real soon ..... that is pending the QB position is solved , be that in house or otherwise.
You're reaching way too far to try to put words in AJ's mouth that he didn't say. For all we know he could just be a huge Keenum/Schaub fan and might think that if they pick a guy #1 that it could be the next QB throwing to him. Here's the singular quote from AJ in that article:

Quote:
"I have thought about different scenarios," Johnson told KTRK-TV in Houston on Wednesday. "Me personally, if I had it, I would probably trade it, but that's just my opinion."

"That doesn't make it right," he added. "Doesn't mean they should listen to me, because I am not the GM. I have never had to sit in the draft room like that."
It's difficult to discern why he would trade it judging by that article.
Old 02-14-2014   #4
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
It's difficult to discern why he would trade it judging by that article.
Not for me. He clearly sees more values in extra picks than in any one particular guy projected to be our first pick.

I agree.

IF we can trade back just a few spots and still pick up someone to play RT (Matthews).
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #5
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Run routes,catch passes,that's what andre does best. Steve Francis and Cat Mobley wanted the rockets to trade the 02 1st pick for lamar odom.
Old 02-14-2014   #6
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Not for me. He clearly sees more values in extra picks than in any one particular guy projected to be our first pick.

I agree.

IF we can trade back just a few spots and still pick up someone to play RT (Matthews).
Of course you agree. You are agreeing with yourself, not Andre.
Old 02-14-2014   #7
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Totally agree, but I'm very skeptical the Texans can find another team to do the trade with.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-14-2014   #8
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

I agree.

How can you say, with conviction, what he clearly sees and doesn't see? It's literally him saying "If I was in charge I'd trade down", with no why given. There could be a host of reasons why he would trade down, and they might be purely selfish (Doesn't want to learn to work with a new QB, thinks Watt is amazing enough the Texans don't need Clowney, etc etc).

The way this article is written and with the quote given, I cannot see any reasonable guess as to why Andre would trade down, and people claiming to see that are just projecting what they feel the Texans should do onto his quote.
Old 02-14-2014   #9
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Totally agree, but I'm very skeptical the Texans can find another team to do the trade with.
I fully expect us to be on the clock at 1-1 when the draft starts. I don't believe that anybody is going to trade for that pick.

Clowney isn't a sure thing and this years QB's aren't generating nearly the kind of buzz that would lead a team to think that it had to get the first overall pick to get their guy.
Old 02-14-2014   #10
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Run routes,catch passes,that's what andre does best. Steve Francis and Cat Mobley wanted the rockets to trade the 02 1st pick for lamar odom.
lol, this is awesome. Why are all of your comments always glossed over? I feel that your comments are some of the best on the board.

But everyone pretty much always ignores them. or there are a few tough guys that will randomly challenge you to an internet fight like they do everyone.

About the article. You get absolutely nothing out of it. I know we are bored, but to speculate for 8 pages on what he probably meant is just pathetic.

Think on this... What if he said we need to draft a QB? Now, what if BOB randomly decides to stick w/ the QBs on the roster. How will that work out for the Case (if he is the guy) and Andre chemistry/connection? Flip side it with him saying Clowney and Antonio Smith stays on the team.

Rule #1 of being a member of a locker room: Never throw your teammates under the bus.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 49476 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Me, personally I would love to sit down with Andre Johnson & talk with him about this, off the record of course. He is such a sincere, intelligent person very politically correct, would love to see him remain a Texan even long after his playing days. Comes across to me as if he only wants the best for his team without personal gain, humble & modest as usual

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
Andre Johnson says trade the number one pick away. I know he believes that Keenum has an "Aura" about him, but you would think he would be tired of the mediocre QB talent the Texans have had since day one. What does it all mean?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...rade-no-1-pick
I agree with all of them. We have to address our QB situation. There are 4~5 interchangeable QBs in this draft. I believe there are 6, any of which would be an improvement over what we had last season.

We've had "pass rushers" with Jj Watt & only got so far. Wade's coaching was a big part of our success in 2011, since then we've been asking more & more of them & the offense has been doing less & less.

We need more balance & though I liked the addition of DeAndre Hopkins to our offense, with Brennan Williams & Quesenberry hitting the IR, we're still due for offensive talent.

I'd love to get an OT with LT possibilities & an elite TE. Trade down, grab Robinson, then Amaro, then use our 2nd on the best QB left. Or take Watkins with the first, then an OT with the second first, then a QB with our 2nd.
Old 02-15-2014   #13
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Of course you agree. You are agreeing with yourself, not Andre.
Quote:
The way this article is written and with the quote given, I cannot see any reasonable guess as to why Andre would trade down, and people claiming to see that are just projecting what they feel the Texans should do onto his quote.
I'll give you guys this point. There's no real way I can read Andre's mind. So maybe I'm "projecting some...

Quote:
How can you say, with conviction, what he clearly sees and doesn't see? It's literally him saying "If I was in charge I'd trade down", with no why given. There could be a host of reasons why he would trade down, and they might be purely selfish (Doesn't want to learn to work with a new QB, thinks Watt is amazing enough the Texans don't need Clowney, etc etc).
Now this train of thought, Andre being selfish, is one I cannot buy into.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014   #14
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34103 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
but you would think he would be tired of the mediocre QB talent the Texans have had since day one.
Maybe all he sees is mediocre talent coming out ...
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014   #15
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17109 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it means Andre see's what is in the locker room first hand, and one pick just isnt going to get it done? This team needs help, and alot of it. I can live with a trade down, but it has to be a haul, dont just give away the pick.
Old 02-16-2014   #16
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Who really gives a crap what AJ thinks the team should draft or do with the pick? It's not like AJ has access to trade proposals, player interviews at the combine, or scouting reports that coaches get to see. I highly doubt that AJ is listening in when our new coach talks to other coaches about these prospects. AJ has no clue what we would get for a trade from other teams to make that conclusion, nor does he know what we would pick with the extra picks as well.All of this deciphering about what AJ thinks or wants is just a ton of unsubstantial opinions based on nothing really.

I really wish this draft would get here so all of this stuff would end. Worst off season I've ever witnessed on this forum with this #1 draft pick we have. I wish there was just one player that was a can't miss that was obvious at this point. These discussions have been beaten to death already and the draft isn't for another 3 or 4 months.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read