Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-08-2014   #21
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34365 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brett Smith, QB - Wyoming

I know we have several holes, but I wouldnt be against going the Redskins route and drafting 2 QBs. One with the top pikc (probably Bridgewater) and one with our 4th rounder. If Smith is available then, he would be a very intriguing prospect. Mettenberger would be another one that could slip because of his injury.

But gambling on Smith with our 2nd rounder or 3d rounder without haven taken another QB earlier would be too risky for me.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014   #22
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Has everybody decided that Foster is though?
I have. With his injury history and all this crap going on in his personal life I have very little confidence in him. IMO we should trade him for a draft pick. There are a lot of really good RB's in this draft.
Old 02-08-2014   #23
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
It shouldn't be a deal breaker. I have two issues though.

There is no guarantee that he is there at 3-1. So if he's your guy you have to take him at 2-1 or trade up from 3-1 into the 2nd round to be sure you get him. I'm okay with that if O'Brien needs to have him.

I also think he needs one year minimum holding a clipboard, preferably two. Not only is he facing a huge mental jump like Manziel, but he is also facing a huge jump in competition. I'm okay with that too. I actually prefer that, but it does fly in the face of McNair's "win now" mantra.
I would trade up into the bottom of the 2nd. Get Cassel on a 2yr deal. Regardless of whether one of the top 3 QB's are taken or not this is going to be a 3 yr rebuild (McNair is just trying to placate the fanbase) Smith should hold a clipboard next yr and start in the middle of 2015.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014   #24
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I really wonder how many NFL guy's show up at Wyoming's pro day. (Do they even have one ?)
They may combine with other(s) but Robert Herron, Marqueston Huff, and Smith should generate some interest.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014   #25
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I would trade up into the bottom of the 2nd. Get Cassel on a 2yr deal. Regardless of whether one of the top 3 QB's are taken or not this is going to be a 3 yr rebuild (McNair is just trying to placate the fanbase) Smith should hold a clipboard next yr and start in the middle of 2015.
I want nothing to do with Cassel .... Dude was abysmal this season.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014   #26
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
They may combine with other(s) but Robert Herron, Marqueston Huff, and Smith should generate some interest.
I'm a big fan of Herron and I like Huff. Smith is a project.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014   #27
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

How are u not 2:1 td:int ratio in college? Especially in the wac or whatever conf wyoming is in.
Old 02-08-2014   #28
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
How are u not 2:1 td:int ratio in college? Especially in the wac or whatever conf wyoming is in.
29td 11int??????
Old 02-08-2014   #29
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
29td 11int??????
Old 02-09-2014   #30
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
This team is in better shape now than we were after the 2010 debacle. The biggest thing we're lacking is the "want to" the mental toughness McNair is looking for. If OB, Crennel, & Vrabel can bring the "want to" I think we can have an 11-5 season like the Colts did after their 2-14 season, like Kansas City after their 2-14 season.

But...... I've been accused of being a little naive at times.
Old 02-09-2014   #31
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
29td 11int??????

My bad, I thought it said 97tds and 76 ints,lol
Old 02-09-2014   #32
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Have you seen Wyoming play?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014   #33
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Have you seen Wyoming play?
Where's the OL ? ... What OL ?

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014   #34
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein
Quote:
Spoke with scout about Wyoming QB B. Smith: That staff there acts like hes Montana, but I see a late rounder when I watch him"
Old 02-17-2014   #35
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

PS: What bothers you the most about not being invited to the Combine?

Quote:
BS: The thing that bugs me the most is just the fact that, in that situation, Ive never been a guy, I think its just how I grew up, how I was raised, Ive never been one to back down from any sort of competition and those are the best guys in the country. And I wanted to be on the same stage as all of them. I realize that I probably wasnt probably at a big name school and I wasnt part of a BCS Championship run or part of a really, really high bowl game the last few years, but at least Id be there with those guys and Id try to compete against them.

I would have done absolutely every drill. I would have thrown, I wouldve its just that at a place like that, Id be so humble. I would do every single event, get to meet all of those teams and compete. Its not a situation where Im trying to protect whatever stock I have, but its a chance to up it.

I dont know if you follow CFL much, but Travis Lulay, I was talking with him on the phone. He was a Grey Cup Champion, he was the MVP a couple years ago. Hes basically the Aaron Rodgers of the CFL. I was talking with on the phone, its just crazy that if you go to an event like that, probably just because of our mindset, being underdogs, being smaller school guys, being doubted. We just want that opportunity to compete and go through everything and go about it that way.
2014 NFL Draft Scouting Report Brett Smith, QB Wyoming
Old 02-17-2014   #36
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Is he "out" out, or can he be asked to throw the ball to receivers & TEs, & RBs like Yates was?

He should also know that it's not over just because he didn't get an invite.
Old 02-18-2014   #37
MrTexan Slim
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 MrTexan Slim is a quality contributor and well respectedMrTexan Slim is a quality contributor and well respectedMrTexan Slim is a quality contributor and well respectedMrTexan Slim is a quality contributor and well respectedMrTexan Slim is a quality contributor and well respectedMrTexan Slim is a quality contributor and well respectedMrTexan Slim is a quality contributor and well respectedMrTexan Slim is a quality contributor and well respectedMrTexan Slim is a quality contributor and well respectedMrTexan Slim is a quality contributor and well respectedMrTexan Slim is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Brett Smith QB Wyoming

I was looking over the 790 blog and came across Jayson Braddock's assessments of QBs. He has a write up on QBs in rounds 2-7 here:

http://www.sports790.com/onair/the-d...ound-12053064/

In his evaluation, he has Smith as the number 1 rated QB coming out. I hadn't heard anything about this guy and found this another interesting option. I know he's another "talking head" but there has to be something to his assessment. He seems to have good size, mobility, and a live arm. I think we have to come away with a solid starting QB in this draft, and was wondering if anyone else has looked into this guy as an option.

Thoughts?
MrTexan Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #38
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brett Smith QB Wyoming

Well, there is thread still on the first page of this thread about him. I will merge you there,
Old 02-18-2014   #39
MrTexan Slim
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 MrTexan Slim is a quality contributor and well respectedMrTexan Slim is a quality contributor and well respectedMrTexan Slim is a quality contributor and well respectedMrTexan Slim is a quality contributor and well respectedMrTexan Slim is a quality contributor and well respectedMrTexan Slim is a quality contributor and well respectedMrTexan Slim is a quality contributor and well respectedMrTexan Slim is a quality contributor and well respectedMrTexan Slim is a quality contributor and well respectedMrTexan Slim is a quality contributor and well respectedMrTexan Slim is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks. I didn't see it there.
MrTexan Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #40
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Default Re: Brett Smith QB Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Well, there is thread still on the first page of this thread about him. I will merge you there,
A thread on the first page of the thread eh??

How could he possibly miss it?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read