Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-05-2014   #21
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Announce Coaching staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Bernhardt is OB's "No" man.

He's a QC guy who tells OB when he's wrong, basically.

So, in a sense, he's QC for the HC. Odd, but I like the concept.
We had a manager around here who needed a QC guy; mainly because he had an uncontrollable temper when people didn't agree with his point of view. But he was a great project manager and sooo smart from a technical point of view that his intellect was much too valuable an asset to just kick out the front gate. So they got him a "QC" man to shadow him around and let him know when his temper was about to get him into trouble.

I hope that's not what's happening here.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #22
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
A lot of folks, especially in Houston and Oilers/Texans fans elsewhere with symbolically ring-free fingers, thought of that very thing.

"Seattle? Hell, that makes both them AND Tampa Bay."

I about lost it when Carolina and Jacksonville damned near had a SB party of their own against each other the second year they played. Because of that the Texans had a tougher row to hoe (<---wait, reverse that).

Alright, I'm done too. Sorry for the hijack, folks. Carry on.

...but DAMN IT. HOUSTON IS DUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I share your pain, man. The football gods freakin' hate us, I tell ya'!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
We had a manager around here who needed a QC guy; mainly because he had an uncontrollable temper when people didn't agree with his point of view. But he was a great project manager and sooo smart from a technical point of view that his intellect was much too valuable an asset to just kick out the front gate. So they got him a "QC" man to shadow him around and let him know when his temper was about to get him into trouble.

I hope that's not what's happening here.
hmmm...that's kind of a curious thing when I think about it.

Is it common for a HC to have a QC guy looking over his shoulder?

And is this O'Brien's idea?

I don't want to read too much into it when I don't know the trend or history of such an idea, but it seems kinda' weird after reading your post. Did the great coaches have QC guys?
Old 02-05-2014   #23
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 120523 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I share your pain, man. The football gods freakin' hate us, I tell ya'!!

I don't want to read too much into it when I don't know the trend or history of such an idea, but it seems kinda' weird after reading your post. Did the great coaches have QC guys?
yes this is a OBrian idea. He brought him to Penn State also.
Old 02-05-2014   #24
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 120523 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Paul Dunn? What happened to the guy from Iowa? Is this the same Dunn that got fired from Atlanta? He was an assistant OL coach.
Old 02-05-2014   #25
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Most positions carry and expectation of product delivery.
Strength & Cond. Coach gets the boys strong and fit to play the season
Defensive Coordinator is expected to build a defense that keeps us in games
Position coaches teach the fundamentals of their respective positions AND what is expected from them on their side of the ball.

Those are all clearly defined and measurable "products". Should the guy responsible not produce them, he's replaced

WTH is the expected "product" of the "Director of Football Research"???
...better footballs? Spy cameras?
How will McNair know when he's screwing up...? ...or doing a fabulous job...??
Someone help me out here.
Old 02-05-2014   #26
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Most positions carry and expectation of product delivery.
Strength & Cond. Coach gets the boys strong and fit to play the season
Defensive Coordinator is expected to build a defense that keeps us in games
Position coaches teach the fundamentals of their respective positions AND what is expected from them on their side of the ball.

Those are all clearly defined and measurable "products". Should the guy responsible not produce them, he's replaced

...better footballs? Spy cameras?
How will McNair know when he's screwing up...? ...or doing a fabulous job...??
Someone help me out here.
If we are becoming NE south then we need a good intelligence system.
Old 02-05-2014   #27
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
If we are becoming NE south then we need a good intelligence system.
hmmmm....
intelligence = Spy system
Sponsored links
Old 02-05-2014   #28
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 8706 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
Great, another HC who wants to call plays...
Deja Vu Vu ..
It's really better when the QB calls most of the plays, but most coaches don't believe me on this. The HC should send in a play occasionally, and other coaches may suggest a special play to the HC.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #29
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Anthony Midget?

I understand he has court papers prepared to legally change his name to: Anthony Short People....... So I've heard.
Old 02-05-2014   #30
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 74770 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
OK. So we've gone from Denver South to New England South. Theoretically it's a step in a better direction.
or Penn State South.......

Quote:
James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN

10 out of the 16 #Texans coaching hires announced today have ties to #PSU.

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #31
Quick II Draw
Veteran

Rep Power: 2096 Quick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If he's anything like the Patriots' "Director of Football Research," look here:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=adams

So basically, high-level abstract football analytics.

EDIT: Jim Bernhardt's role will probably look more like this:
http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefoo...bernhardt.html

So basically, Jim Bernhardt is the Ernie Adams to Bill O'Brien's Bill Belichick. But Bernhardt is probably not nearly the football savant that Adams is, so he will probably do more "Bill O'Brien Quality Control" than "Regression Analysis on Why We Should Go For It on 4th and 2."

Last edited by Quick II Draw; 02-05-2014 at 10:24 PM.
Quick II Draw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #32
cland
Veteran

Rep Power: 4611 cland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respected

The major role is developing gameplans people..... What the opposing team does on third-down against this set, what percentage, what do we do to counter it, etc X way more complicated...
cland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #33
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
We need more quality in our turnovers.
I am a fan of apple.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #34
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cland View Post
The major role is developing gameplans people..... What the opposing team does on third-down against this set, what percentage, what do we do to counter it, etc X way more complicated...
It's not complicated.

You steal the other teams plays and signals and use that to your advantage.

Simple. If you're not cheating, you're not trying!
Old 02-05-2014   #35
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Honestly, looking at this list...it's just words on a screen to me right now.

What you don't want to read some simple profile on a coach and act know if he is a good or bad hire?
Old 02-06-2014   #36
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick II Draw View Post
If he's anything like the Patriots' "Director of Football Research," look here:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=adams

So basically, high-level abstract football analytics.

EDIT: Jim Bernhardt's role will probably look more like this:
http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefoo...bernhardt.html

So basically, Jim Bernhardt is the Ernie Adams to Bill O'Brien's Bill Belichick. But Bernhardt is probably not nearly the football savant that Adams is, so he will probably do more "Bill O'Brien Quality Control" than "Regression Analysis on Why We Should Go For It on 4th and 2."
Wow....
If Bernhardt brings half as much to the table as the focus of that article, O'Brien - and the Texans - will be very lucky. No wonder Belichick has been so successful. He's got a football savant to advise him.

oh and rep for finding this article. Good digging.
Old 02-06-2014   #37
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 15034 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Bernhardt the other guy in the photo with Obrien and Clowney at senior bowl, ya know the one with Clowney in his hoodie

Your man... Pots and pans
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #38
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
What you don't want to read some simple profile on a coach and act know if he is a good or bad hire?
hehe, yeah, I do not seem to possess the magic powers of reading between the non-existent lines or future prediction.

I'll be in a hibernation wait-and-see mode for awhile.
Old 02-06-2014   #39
Texaninlild
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4558 Texaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Texaninlild

Paul Dunn

Banjo anyone?

I am a Christian

Philippians 4:13
Texaninlild is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read