Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-21-2014   #141
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis February 19-24, 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I think it's a factor if you play in bad weather also .
it is..but for most guys except the truly gifted..the Russell Wilson's of the world, throwing the ball in bad weather is always gonna be an issue. My hand size is closer to Bortles' & i can remember always having issues with gripping the ball on cold & rainy days.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #142
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 109604 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

I just asked our computer lab admin for a tape measure so I could measure my hand. He told me to "Get the **** out of here!" But he tells me that every day.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #143
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

In the bad news section, Dustin Vaughan's hands are only 8 7/8 inches.

Still that will push him down to where he is available to the Texans as a FA.
Old 02-21-2014   #144
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 95414 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm more of a data person than a chart person. I noticed the charts were not consistent in what they measured or where they were positioned, so it's like comparing Apples, Oranges, Pears, Grapefruits, Grapes and Strawberries with various vegetables included just to confuse the issues.

The charts have no context.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #145
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
I just asked our computer lab admin for a tape measure so I could measure my hand. He told me to "Get the **** out of here!" But he tells me that every day.
lol...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #146
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 95414 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I need to find a tape measure and measure my hand to get some perspective on all this.
I must be doing it wrong. I measured from the tip of my pinky to the tip of my thumb and it measured 10" and I do not have large hands.

Hmm... My right hand is only 9 7/8" while my left hand is 10" and I'm right handed.

I may have to rethink the size of my hands. I have always had to get xl gloves, but I thought it was primarily for thickness and I always thought my fingers were somewhat stubby. I thought putting my hand up against my oldest son confirmed it because his fingers stretch beyond mine by 1/2 inch to an inch in all directions.

Last edited by Marshall; 02-21-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #147
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I'm more of a data person than a chart person. I noticed the charts were not consistent in what they measured or where they were positioned, so it's like comparing Apples, Oranges, Pears, Grapefruits, Grapes and Strawberries with various vegetables included just to confuse the issues.

The charts have no context.
I think everything was measured , the data that was most relative to that QB was charted .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-21-2014   #148
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 16277 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Official QB Measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktexan68 View Post
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 39m
MANZIEL 511 and , 207 with 9 7/8 hands.
BRIDGEWATER 62 1/8, 214 with 9 hands.
BORTLES 65, 232 with 9 3/8 hands.

Manziel is pretty stout at not quite 6 foot but 207lbs, Teddy heavier than expected but tiny hands, and Bortles is a giant.
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #149
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I need to find a tape measure and measure my hand to get some perspective on all this.
tip of your little finger to the tip of your thumb on your throwing hand. If < 9" you're out as an NFL QB, if 9" or > you're in as a NFL QB. Your's truly = 9 1/2"
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #150
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Okay, I'm going to take that as a "we have less than zero interest in Johnny Manziel" from Cardinals Bruce Arians.

Dan Kadar ‏@MockingTheDraft
Quote:
Carroll on running QBs: We've also seen you can't last in this league running at QB. You don't have to be runners to be effective.

Carroll: But not everybody that's 5'11 can play QB.

Seahawks Pete Carroll: Prior to the last couple of years, the general thinking was a guy of Russell's stature couldn't play, and that's wrong.
Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein
Quote:
Quote:
Context of fumbles/snaps via @JPSTATS

McCarron 1476 (8)
Manziel 1725 (5)
Bridgewater 1681 (8)

2013 only
Bortles 811 (8)
Carr 1010 (1)
Quote:
Fumble totals over last two years:

Manziel - 5
McCarron - 8
Bortles - 11
Carr - 7
Bridewater - 8
Quote:
For those obsessing of the size of hands I bring you this -

Fumbles in 2013:
Bortles - 8
Manziel - 2
Bridewater - 3
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #151
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Official QB Measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktexan68 View Post
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 39m
MANZIEL 511 and , 207 with 9 7/8 hands.
BRIDGEWATER 62 1/8, 214 with 9 hands.
BORTLES 65, 232 with 9 3/8 hands.

Manziel is pretty stout at not quite 6 foot but 207lbs, Teddy heavier than expected but tiny hands, and Bortles is a giant.
Do you even math, bro?
Old 02-21-2014   #152
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Bortles had so many fumbles because his pocket work is shoddy and he took a lot of blind hits. He needs a lot of work mechanically, but his size and mobility will entice a lot of teams. Hopefully he gets to sit for a year wherever he goes.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #153
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Bortles had so many fumbles because his pocket work is shoddy and he took a lot of blind hits. He needs a lot of work mechanically, but his size and mobility will entice a lot of teams. Hopefully he gets to sit for a year wherever he goes.
Hmmm ... big strong armed guy with no feel for a pass rush . That sounds like our first QB .

Round Dan
Old 02-21-2014   #154
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hmmm ... big strong armed guy with no feel for a pass rush . That sounds like our first QB .
I'm not saying he has no feel. He's not Logan Thomas. But sometimes he gets locked in downfield and loses himself in the pocket. He lost a lot of fumbles in the pocket this year, but I don't think it's his hands that are the problem. May be a ball handling issue that needs to be coached up.

As much as I dislike Manziel's propensity to scramble, I'd rather my QB see imaginary people and bail out than not see anyone at all.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 02-21-2014   #155
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

More hand sizes
Quote:
Largest
Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech (10 7/8)

Smallest
Jordan Lynch, Northern Illinois and Dustin Vaughan, West Texas A&M (8 7/8)

Others of note
Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M (9 7/8)
Blake Bortles, Central Florida (9 3/8)
Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville (9 1/4)
Tajh Boyd, Clemson (9 5/8)
Derek Carr, Fresno State (9 1/8)
AJ McCarron, Alabama (10)
Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois (9 1/4)
Aaron Murray, Georgia (9 1/8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jradMIT View Post
Is Bortles throwing? I know Manziel isn't, Is Bridgewater throwing? Any over under guesses on 40 times for these guys?

Over/Under on 40 times

Manziel 4.5
Bridgewater 4.6
Bortles 4.8

Height

Manziel 6 0 1/2 UNDER
Bridgewater 6 2 1/4 OVER
Bortles 6 4 1/2 OVER
Scoreboard so far.

Last edited by Playoffs; 02-21-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-21-2014   #156
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
I'm not saying he has no feel. He's not Logan Thomas. But sometimes he gets locked in downfield and loses himself in the pocket. He lost a lot of fumbles in the pocket this year, but I don't think it's his hands that are the problem. May be a ball handling issue that needs to be coached up.

As much as I dislike Manziel's propensity to scramble, I'd rather my QB see imaginary people and bail out than not see anyone at all.
Yup ... I think playmakers aren't afraid , they just can't wait . On the other hand , guys who hear or see stuff that's not there are thinking about getting hit .

Round Dan
Old 02-21-2014   #157
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Taylor Lewan's puzzling comments

No player had a weirder press conference than Michigan offensive tackle Taylor Lewan. Often smirking or even chuckling through answers, Lewan deflected questions about his off-field concerns like they were blitzing defensive ends.

Remember the play against Michigan State where Lewan tried to separate Isaiah Lewis' head from his shoulders? Lewan now says their friends. Lewan denied getting into an altercation with an Ohio State fan after the two rivals played last year. He also denied threatening a woman involved in a rape allegation.

There was at least some light-hearted spots with Lewan. He broke down how he blocked Jadeveon Clowney, saying he keyed on the superstar's feet to figure out where the blitz was going. He even claimed to be unbeatable in Super Smash Bros., so he probably has a pretty nice selection of trophies.
He really grew out of favor with me this year. More hype than substance. He was a team captain this year and rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 02-21-2014   #158
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He really grew out of favor with me this year. More hype than substance. He was a team captain this year and rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.
There is nasty for an OL, and then there is whatever the hell Lewan was. Ive said for some time that he struck me as a dirty dumb player at times and stand by that. I feel like he is either on some drugs/meds or he is just f'ed up in the head. Either way I wouldnt touch him until the top o' the 2nd.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #159
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
There is nasty for an OL, and then there is whatever the hell Lewan was. Ive said for some time that he struck me as a dirty dumb player at times and stand by that. I feel like he is either on some drugs/meds or he is just f'ed up in the head. Either way I wouldnt touch him until the top o' the 2nd.
He has an Incognito complex. Not saying that he would act the same way in the locker room as RI, but he can't turn that mean streak off when he leaves the field. It's a permanent mentality.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 02-21-2014   #160
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Cardinals HC Bruce Arians at the Combine referencing Manziel...
Quote:
"When you start comparing quarterbacks, and (for) all of us it's a comparison business when you start doing the draft and everything else, who has been successful with these measurables, what intangibles does he bring," Arians said from the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis Friday. "With those guys, I go back to Doug Flutie, and it took Doug a long time to become a very successful quarterback in the league at that size and that athletic ability."

Looking at some of the successful short quarterbacks, Arians said Manziel's style is different from that of Saints QB Drew Brees -- who is also a little taller -- but added that Seattle's Russell Wilson, who just won a Super Bowl, is helping to show that short quarterbacks can get the job done.

"I think they are starting to see some guys they can compare him to, but there's a bunch of 6-5 successful guys who are athletic," he said. "The 5-11 guys, it has to throw a question mark out there."

"He's very natural at what he does and you don't want to take a guy's insticts away because that's what got him here," Arians said. "I think the guys like Russell hurt you more when they drop back to pass, and Colin (Kaepernick)...they hurt you when they drop back.

"Now when you design runs for them you're putting them in harm's way because the guys chasing them are a lot bigger and faster than the ones chasing them in college. But to take the natural instinct away from drop back passing to scrambling and going, you never want to do that."
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Quote:
John Elway on Johnny Manziel: “I think he’s a great little player.” (Laughter). “I shouldn’t say little.” (More laughter). #ElwayFTW

Last edited by Playoffs; 02-21-2014 at 04:27 PM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read