Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-25-2014   #521
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis February 19-24, 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yup, and projecting 8 QBs in the 1st round.
Which should help erase the myth that Winston, Mariotta, Hundley, Hogan , and Petty are all first round talents next year, and yet we will have people claiming that next year.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #522
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Which should help erase the myth that Winston, Mariotta, Hundley, Hogan , and Petty are all first round talents next year, and yet we will have people claiming that next year.
You can't rule it out.

If they're good enough, teams will draft them.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #523
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by _King_ View Post
You can't rule it out.

If they're good enough, teams will draft them.
They aren't though, IMO of course. They are just being overrated because they are the magical draft class of next year.

Winston has a 1st round grade from me right now. But he says he's not entering the draft next year.

Mariota had a 2nd round grade from me this year. Probably a 1st next year after another season. Same story with Hundley, but I'm not sure he has the raw arm talent that Mariota does.

Hogan and Petty aren't even potentially elite to me. Things could change but right now they are 2nd round at best next year. They both have big flaws.

Next year always looks better until we arrive there. Same situation we had with this class.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #524
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

On the radio they said we'll actually get to practice as a team before the draft arrives.

That could be a big bonus. OB can get a first hand look at what's what before the draft comes.
Old 02-25-2014   #525
_King_
All Pro

Quote:

Next year always looks better until we arrive there. Same situation we had with this class.

I think next year is a ?.

Even this draft , until it happens, is a complete unknown. Last year there were tons if OL that went early.

You really never know. You can use past examples to outline trends, but truth is when you're dealing with humans making decisions there always lies at least some shred of unpredictability.
Old 02-25-2014   #526
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Next years' draft class is always a "grass is greener" type of thing. Last year at this time Tajh Boyd was the consensus top QB and #1 overall... Now he may be undrafted. This happens every year
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #527
_King_
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Next years' draft class is always a "grass is greener" type of thing. Last year at this time Tajh Boyd was the consensus top QB and #1 overall... Now he may be undrafted. This happens every year
Right, and by the same token you have guys that shoot ton the top if boards seemingly out if no where.

It goes both ways.
Sponsored links
Old 02-25-2014   #528
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Last year, I was hoping we could get Tajh Boyd in the 2nd to be our QB of the future.

Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #529
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Last year, I was hoping we could get Tajh Boyd in the 2nd to be our QB of the future.

We still could!!!

Your dreams have come true.

Get it done Rick.
Old 02-25-2014   #530
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They aren't though, IMO of course. They are just being overrated because they are the magical draft class of next year.
Agreed. We went through the same thing on this very board last year.

Quote:
Winston has a 1st round grade from me right now. But he says he's not entering the draft next year.

Mariota had a 2nd round grade from me this year. Probably a 1st next year after another season. Same story with Hundley, but I'm not sure he has the raw arm talent that Mariota does.

Hogan and Petty aren't even potentially elite to me. Things could change but right now they are 2nd round at best next year. They both have big flaws.

I have Winston as a high 1st round grade, but I have a few question marks on him.

I had Hundley rated higher than Mariota this year and I expect the same next year. Depends on how each guy performs next season. I have them both as late 1st - early 2nd right now.

I have both Hogan and Petty as 3rd rounders. It's hard to give Hogan a bad grade because I was the first one on the bandwagon after his freshman year, but he really disappointed me this year.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #531
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Justin Gilbert really helped himself today. I think he established himself as the top guy at CB. I think Dennard and Verrett are on his heels, but he has created some distance.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #532
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Worth a read...

Everything Good at the NFL Combine Happens After 2 A.M.
Quote:
Without fail, within 90 seconds of first meeting a scout or agent, an NFL Combine virgin would hear, “we’re off the record, right?” By the end of the conversation, some joked about being off the record; others were pretty clear nothing could be repeated.

The most fun/bizarre encounter I had was with former 2nd round pick out of West Virginia John Thornton, who spent 10 years in the NFL. A hulking presence, Thornton is now an agent, and works in tandem with Roc Nation on Geno Smith, the Jets QB.

When I introduced myself as Jason, he looked me up and down and before I could say my last name, he said, “yeah, I know you, McIntyre, the guy who was killing Geno Smith on twitter last season.”

My eyes popped a bit, and I was taken aback.

[Aside: Of the many lessons learned this weekend – lots of NFL personnel, scouts, and agents monitor twitter. Closely.]

Before I could respond, Thornton said, “Was it week 10 after the Buffalo game? Or wait, after the Tennessee game?”

Who remembers tweets from months ago? Agents, that’s who.
Quote:
“You have to sift through the bullisht,” said Jeff Darlington of the NFL Network. “Nobody has any incentive to tell the truth. So when I’m talking to trusted sources, I try to make sure I don’t put them in situations where they need to lie directly to my face.”
Quote:
After power agent Tom Condon inked Robert Griffin III in 2012, he sent a private jet to Waco to fly RG3 out to Arizona to work with Terry Shea, the former Rutgers coach who is now a quarterback coach. Shea has worked with several Condon-signed QBs, such as Blaine Gabbert, Sam Bradford and Josh Freeman.

Except RG3 didn’t want to go. He was open to working with a QB coach, but didn’t want to work with Shea. As the story goes...
NFL Draft: Manziel, Bridgewater headline upcoming pro days
Quote:
Here's what to look for at two of the most important pro days this year:

March 17, Teddy Bridgewater

Bridgewater needs to show consistent touch and accuracy on downfield throws of 20+ yards. His deep placement was streaky throughout the season and he needs to show a better feel for all vertical passes. Bridgewater can also help himself by showing leadership traits throughout the passing drills, instructing receivers on different routes and taking full command of the field and workout. His slender body type isn't something that will change for his workout, but Bridgewater should be able to show off his efficient mobility, timing and overall arm talent.

March 27, Johnny Manziel

Manziel needs to show the same velocity to all levels of the field with proper anticipation and placement at the top of each route. A pro day setting won't give Manziel a chance to show off his instinctive and elusive scrambling, but it will help show his ability to operate from within the pocket. It won't be surprising if a broom or two is involved to help simulate Manziel throwing over outstretched hands at the line of scrimmage. He seems to step up on the big stage so with every eye on him at his pro day look for Manziel to perform well.

Other notable pro days to watch:

March 7, Ohio State: RB Carlos Hyde suffered a left hamstring pull during his first 40-yard dash attempt at the NFL combine, but is expected to be healthy for his pro day. A similar situation for LB Ryan Shazier who “tweaked” his hamstring and didn't run the 40-yard dash in Indianapolis, although he did post a combine-best 42-inch vertical leap.

March 18, Florida: The trio of Florida cornerback prospects had average NFL combine performances, but all three still have something to show at their pro day in Gainesville. CB Jaylen Watkins ran a 4.41 in the 40-yard dash, but didn't participate in the positional drills due to a strained Achilles. CB Marcus Roberson and CB Loucheiz Purifoy both ran 4.61 in the 40-yard dash, a number that isn't indicative to their play on the field. Both will presumably like to improve that number at Florida's pro day. DT Dominique Easley won't work out at this pro day as he still recovers from ACL surgery, but is planning to do drills sometime in April.

April 2, South Carolina: While he impressed with his 40-yard dash and vertical jump, DE Jadeveon Clowney didn't have a great 3-cone drill (7.27) and skipped the positional drills, telling reporters “I really didn't feel like doing it here.” He will perform the positional drills and agility drills (that he skipped) at his pro day.

April 16, Georgia: When asked if he would be ready for Georgia's pro day, QB Aaron Murray, who suffered a torn ACL in November, said that was the goal “right now.” He said the knee is feeling “awesome” and he's doing everything already, just not a full speed yet.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #533
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 137393 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

One thing I've learned about evaluating draft classes: the guy who's hot this year can fall of next year. I was pulling for Tajh Boyd. Now Tajh Boyd is barely being discussed on this board.

Waiting for next year doesn't mean the guy you want to come out will be as good as you thought he'd be.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #534
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Bill Polian's most NFL ready prospects

Quote:
Odell Beckham. Jr.

Jadeveon Clowney

Aaron Donald

Marquise Lee
Old 02-25-2014   #535
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 31527 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by _King_ View Post
On the radio they said we'll actually get to practice as a team before the draft arrives.

That could be a big bonus. OB can get a first hand look at what's what before the draft comes.
It takes a little time to find, but per the collective bargaining agreement, the off season workout program consists of three parts. The first is a two week period of only strength, conditioning and rehabilitation. Next is a three week period of on-field workouts limited to individual player instruction and drills; and "team practice conducted on a separates basis". No live contact is permitted and no team offense vs defense is permitted.

Per the official NFL schedule, April 7 is the date that teams with new head coaches are permitted to start their off season workout program. So we'll have at least 16 days under stage two before the draft.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/schedules/keydates
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...eason-workouts
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #536
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
March 27, Johnny Manziel

Manziel needs to show the same velocity to all levels of the field with proper anticipation and placement at the top of each route. A pro day setting won't give Manziel a chance to show off his instinctive and elusive scrambling, but it will help show his ability to operate from within the pocket. It won't be surprising if a broom or two is involved to help simulate Manziel throwing over outstretched hands at the line of scrimmage. He seems to step up on the big stage so with every eye on him at his pro day look for Manziel to perform well.
...well, maybe not a broom...

ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #537
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
One thing I've learned about evaluating draft classes: the guy who's hot this year can fall of next year. I was pulling for Tajh Boyd. Now Tajh Boyd is barely being discussed on this board.

Waiting for next year doesn't mean the guy you want to come out will be as good as you thought he'd be.
Or they could improve, which I think Winston/Mariota/Hundley/Hogan will do.

After his horrible bowl game (Really disappointed me) Petty will probably go in the 2/3rd rd range. But he's got the arm strength/mobility to be a starting QB in the NFL. IMHO

My sleeper QB's this yr, Garappolo/Murray
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #538
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

After power agent Tom Condon inked Robert Griffin III in 2012, he sent a private jet to Waco to fly RG3 out to Arizona to work with Terry Shea, the former Rutgers coach who is now a quarterback coach. Shea has worked with several Condon-signed QBs, such as Blaine Gabbert, Sam Bradford and Josh Freeman.
Except RG3 didnít want to go. He was open to working with a QB coach, but didnít want to work with Shea. As the story goes

---------------------

I don't blame RGIII
Old 02-25-2014   #539
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Or they could improve, which I think Winston/Mariota/Hundley/Hogan will do.

After his horrible bowl game (Really disappointed me) Petty will probably go in the 2/3rd rd range. But he's got the arm strength/mobility to be a starting QB in the NFL. IMHO

My sleeper QB's this yr, Garappolo/Murray
He put up impressive numbers, but when you stay in school, your game gets ruthlessly dissected (see Barkley, Matt). A few questions into Boydís trip to the podium, an overhead speaker announced Sammy Watkins would be taking questions nearby, and a third of the crowd bolted to hear what the likely Top 10 pick had to say. Boyd, undeterred and upbeat, took all the difficult queries and deflected them as if he were a missile shield.

----------------------
the NFL wants to see as many games as possible not to see these guys progress, but to get rid of the frauds...and given the money/time involved at the QB position in particular I don't blame them.
Old 02-26-2014   #540
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

NFL Scouting Combine vs. Patriots Draft Picks: A Four-Year Study

Aaron Donald, Brandin Cooks among undersized combine stars

NFL Scouting Combine wrap-up: Winners, losers, questions and observations

NFL Combine 2014: Grading the Most Notable Invitees

Norris: NFL Combine Review

Worrisome: San Diego State RB Adam Muema's whereabouts unknown

Ron Jaworski’s take on Johnny Manziel reveals oddities in pre-draft analysis process

Scott Kacsmar ‏@FO_ScottKacsmar
Quote:
A NFL draft truth I know: after all the bitching & hype, over 250 players will be drafted and about 25 of them will actually be really good.

Last edited by Playoffs; 02-26-2014 at 12:39 PM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read