Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-23-2014   #341
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis February 19-24, 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I think you put whoever is best at each position at that position. Your #3 best receiver isn't automatically the guy you want in the slot.
Not what I said.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #342
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by _King_ View Post
Not what I said.
I know, I'm just sayin'.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #343
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200878 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
for me so far its: Greg Robinson, OT, 6050 332 then Sammy Watkins, WR, 6006 211 & Jake Matthews, OT, 6054 308. waiting on rest (DL, DB & LB to test).
Right now, I'm leaning this way:
1. Watkins
2. Robinson
3. Matthews

We'll see how that changes.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #344
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 106068 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Nobody cares if TB runs a 4.8 or a 4.9, he's not a running QB. If he's lighter that would go against what he said in his interview that he was going to get back up to his sophomore playing weight at 222 lbs. We'll see.
Will they really re-measure at the Pro day? (honest question)
Old 02-23-2014   #345
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Did you play sports in highschool or college and go to some kind of drills camp? Or even inter squad workouts? It's competition.
Yeah, that's the same thing.

So you think you know better than his agent and advisers, who get paid big $$$ to make these types of decisions every year? Can you give one example of where a QB didn't run at the combine and was downgraded on draft day?
Old 02-23-2014   #346
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Will they really re-measure at the Pro day? (honest question)
Usually however players will often stand on their Combine numbers especially if they've had a good Combine.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #347
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Manziel's official 40 time is 4.68 (barely breaking 4.7), 'bout what I expected but not really that impressive for a guy who's supposed to be a big-time running threat because his arm is nothing to brag about. I dunno, all depends on how much O'Brien likes him ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-23-2014   #348
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Manziel official 40 time: 4.68.
Old 02-23-2014   #349
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Yeah, that's the same thing.

So you think you know better than his agent and advisers, who get paid big $$$ to make these types of decisions every year? Can you give one example of where a QB didn't run at the combine and was downgraded on draft day?
Are you dense or do you just like to quibble?

How about this, I know a couple people that have worked/work in pro sports. I know someone that worked for kubiak. I have close friends that have played/play in the nfl. I've witnessed teammates going through pro days and have talked to nfl scouts. I'm sure you think those guys know jack and agents always make the correct moves.

A few of those people have told me that they prefer to see guys participate at the combine where they aren't completely comfortable against guys in a level playing field.

Now you can do with that what you want. I really don't give a ****.

All I said was I didn't like him saying he'd run and then not running. You start going off on a tangent about all this other bull ****. Whatever. I'm done with this conversation.
Old 02-23-2014   #350
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 237890 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris
Quote:
Hmm, it appears Teddy did run the 3-cone: https://vine.co/v/MmvETqjAia6
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #351
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Manziel's official 40 time is 4.68 (barely breaking 4.7), 'bout what I expected but not really that impressive for a guy who's supposed to be a big-time running threat because his arm is nothing to brag about. I dunno, all depends on how much O'Brien likes him ?
I think he was a bit faster than that when he played, which makes me think even more that he added a good 10-15 pounds before combine.
Old 02-23-2014   #352
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris
Dude looks like a cheetah .
Old 02-23-2014   #353
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thomas ran faster which is not surprising. Shaw ran faster which isn't surprising to me, but may be to others. Carr ran faster, which is very surprising to me.

I figured he would clock in close to 4.60, but didn't think his official time would be that low.

Doesn't change the evaluation on him, but like I said in the other thread, it's pretty funny considering how many posters (Aggies) were saying he would blaze it.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #354
_King_
All Pro

Quote:
That's about what I expected.
I think manziel is quicker than he is fast. If he bulks up any at the next level that number might go down some. I'm not sure his running ability is going to be a huge positive, but his overall mobility should still help. His creativeness. His movement fluidity.

I still wouldn't take him, but right team, right situation...could be a good player.
Old 02-23-2014   #355
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Are you dense or do you just like to quibble?

How about this, I know a couple people that have worked/work in pro sports. I know someone that worked for kubiak. I have close friends that have played/play in the nfl. I've witnessed teammates going through pro days and have talked to nfl scouts. I'm sure you think those guys know jack and agents always make the correct moves.

A few of those people have told me that they prefer to see guys participate at the combine where they aren't completely comfortable against guys in a level playing field.

Now you can do with that what you want. I really don't give a ****.

All I said was I didn't like him saying he'd run and then not running. You start going off on a tangent about all this other bull ****. Whatever. I'm done with this conversation.
I think this applies to guys who are trying to make a name for themselves . Teddy's people are taking the stance of he is a top 3 pick and doesn't have to prove anything .
Old 02-23-2014   #356
Lord Bills
Destruction

Rep Power: 2290 Lord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Here are some of the highest QB Wonderlic scores...show me the great players among them.

Ryan Fitzpatrick 2005 Harvard 48
Greg McElroy 2011 Alabama 43
Jason Maas 1999 Oregon 43
Blaine Gabbert 2011 Missouri 42
Drew Henson 2000 Michigan 42
Bruce Eugene 2006 Grambling State 41
Hugh Millen 1986 Washington 41
Link

i didnt say having high woderlic scores made you a great quarterback. i just said it was a greater indicator of intelligence than the team sit down interviews.

Have they taken the wonderlic was my original question.
Lord Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #357
_King_
All Pro

Quote:
Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris
So he did decide to participate in something.

Good.
Old 02-23-2014   #358
_King_
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I think this applies to guys who are trying to make a name for themselves . Teddy's people are taking the stance of he is a top 3 pick and doesn't have to prove anything .
One guy I talked to used the specific angle if guys at the top of the draft.

I'm not thinking about this from an agent perspective and how they view their clients.

Nfl teams have questions about guys. They aren't as convinced as you are. (Not YOU, but the player and their camp)

I didn't say that it will or won't have any impact. People tend to blow up a simple statement and go all wacky.

All I initially said was that I (me personally) didn't like him saying he'd run and then backing out. What if any difference that makes to an nfl team, I have no idea. Could it matter? Absolutely. Could it be totally non relevant. Absolutely.
Old 02-23-2014   #359
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 237890 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Todd McShay ‏@McShay13
Quote:
Ore State's Brandin Cooks (4.33) and Pitt State's John Brown (4.34) ran only sub-4.4 40-yard dashes for WRs. Five WRs with sub-4.4's last yr

12 guys with sub-4.4 unofficial 40 times but only two with "official" sub-4.4 40 times. Little bit of a difference!
Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks
Quote:
Johnny Manziel 40-4.68, VJ-31.5, BJ-9'5.

Logan Thomas 40- 4.61, VJ-35.5, BJ-9'10 (tops among QBs in each of the three).

Lache Seastrunk broad jumped 11'2.

Quote:
Short area quickness is tops.

Quote:
So he did decide to participate in something. Good.
Makes me wonder if he tweaked something... ?

Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris
Quote:
Official WR 40 times:
Cooks 4.33
Moncrief 4.40
Richardson 4.40
Bryant 4.42
Beckham Jr. 4.43
Watkins 4.43
Saunders 4.44
Ellington 4.45
Matthews 4.46
Herron 4.48
Norwood 4.48
Gallon 4.49
Abbrederis 4.50
Hazel 4.50
Lee 4.52
Evans 4.53
Benjamin 4.61
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #360
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Whatever. I'm done with this conversation.
So you don't know of a QB that was hurt by not running at the combine? I can't think of one, either. Kind of makes the whining about Bridgewater not running today seem foolish.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read