Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-04-2014   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans Reportedly leaning Bortles/Manziel

GM FOR DAY: HOUSTON TEXANS
Russ Lande for SportsOnEarth
Quote:
The Texans may bypass Clowney in the first round and draft Alabama outside linebacker Adrian Hubbard or Arkansas' Chris Smith at the top of the second round.
Quote:
According to trusted sources, the Texans are initially leaning towards taking either Blake Bortles or Johnny Manziel with the top pick. Although Manziel would obviously be the choice of owner Bob McNair, O'Brien is not sold that Manziel possesses the work ethic and intangibles necessary to be the face of a franchise.
Quote:
The Texans do not have the salary cap space needed to go get a nose tackle like Paul Soliai, so they could choose to target the unproven Al Woods or under-achieving Terrance Cody in free agency . Woods has slowly developed and improved in two seasons with the Steelers. Cody has the massive size and strength that Crennel loves in the middle of his defense. They also may attempt to lure free agent defensive end Tyson Jackson from the Chiefs; Jackson played for Crennel, and since he has not been a top performer, his price will be right.

The Texans will also need to add a big, physical inside linebacker to play next to Brian Cushing. They could look at Redskins' free agent Perry Riley to fill that role if the Redskins do no re-sign him before free agency begins
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #2
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans lreportedly eaning Bortles/Manziel

Everything about that article makes me worried.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #3
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134080 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Because????
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #4
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was thinking exactly the same thing. While reading, I was thinking this sounds like steps backwards, instead of forwards.
Texian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #5
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 138774 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

If the choice is Bortles and Manziel please give me Bortles. Let someone else gamble on Manziel.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #6
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Because????
I think Bridgewater is clearly the best QB in the class, and its not really close. The more I study the 3, TB is the only one that I think will have lasting success in the NFL. So... the fact that he is not even mentioned as a possibility has me worried.

I don't think Hubbard or Smith are good targets for a pass-rusher at the top of the 2nd.

I hate Cody as a player, and Woods is a never was. Might be a good rotation player, but I can't see him becoming a true starting NT. Jackson is interesting though (as a DE).

Incognito? Really? Dude is a tool, and an overrated player to boot.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #7
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134080 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think Bridgewater is clearly the best QB in the class, and its not really close. The more I study the 3, TB is the only one that I think will have lasting success in the NFL. So... the fact that he is not even mentioned as a possibility has me worried.
I don't see this as a reason to be worried at all. This is just a case of you not liking these other prospects and you really liking Teddy. I do see concerns in Bridgewater personally, but I also see his upside just like I do with the other QB's.

Quote:
I I don't think Hubbard or Smith are good targets for a pass-rusher at the top of the 2nd.
Why?

Quote:
I Incognito? Really? Dude is a tool, and an overrated player to boot.
I think that Incognito would probably play well for a guy like O'Brien. We could probably get him on the cheap right now. Antonio Smith would be extremely happy about it as well.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-04-2014   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans lreportedly leaning Bortles/Manziel

don't teams make a regular practice of deception & gamesmanship in order to drive up value in the first overall pick? just saying

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #9
Dishman
Miss Ya Blue

Rep Power: 10496 Dishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans lreportedly leaning Bortles/Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
don't teams make a regular practice of deception & gamesmanship in order to drive up value in the first overall pick? just saying
Be wary of "sources".

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...litz-7757.html

Quote:
Just some scuttlebutt, but if (when?) the Houston Texans release Matt Schaub, the Raiders could be among the teams interested in the quarterback. Schematically, it isn’t a great fit, and Schaub is more a “systems” guy, but it’s said he has some fans in the organization and would be a stabilizing factor. . . . Speaking of the Texans, some solid team sources insist new coach Bill O’Brien isn’t as overboard on Central Florida quarterback Blake Bortles as has been suggested in some quarters. “He’s keeping an open mind,” one source said. “The page is blank right now. People keep trying to connect the dots to the fact (Bortles) beat Penn State last year, but I wouldn’t make too much of that.”
Dishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #10
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37218 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Reportedly leaning Bortles/Manziel

Why would any team with the #1 pick lean towards anyone in february before any interviews, combine or workouts?
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #11
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102895 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah I'm with stingray. I think a lot of bullcrap will be said by a lot of people and none will be more valid than the rest. I will wait to see what they do at combines and pro days and will trust Bill O'Brien to make the correct decision. Definitely not trusting Rick Smith though but I'm sure he won't have as much say-so in at least the QB drafting.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #12
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
Why would any team with the #1 pick lean towards anyone in february before any interviews, combine or workouts?
Because the players are judged on football play, and everything is already on tape.

Interview might put you off a player. Combine might reveal injury concerns. There are still some height/weight/speed relics around but let's hope OB is beyond the Al Davis school of drafting. Pro days are interesting, but you're not comparing guys and it's still not football.
Old 02-04-2014   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

From the OP

Quote:
Although Manziel would obviously be the choice of owner Bob McNair,
Why? Because he's from Texas? If McNair had an "obvious choice" I'd think it'd be Clowney before anyone else.
Old 02-04-2014   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Why? Because he's from Texas? If McNair had an "obvious choice" I'd think it'd be Clowney before anyone else.
Why is that? I think the most obvious thing which can be said about the Texans is they need a QB (which one is another matter).
Old 02-04-2014   #15
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Why is that? I think the most obvious thing which can be said about the Texans is they need a QB (which one is another matter).
They're both Gamecocks.

Is this Russ guy just assuming Manziel's McNairs obvious choice? The point of my post was, how did he come to this conclusion?
Old 02-04-2014   #16
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Not worried in the least. January smoke screens. McNair just appeasing his pushy Aggie next door neighbor.

First pick will be a long snapper.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #17
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I think his point is that the owner has not said much if anything about Manziel, while we have direct quotes from him discussing Clowney. Not to mention S.C. is his Alma Mater.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #18
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Is this Russ guy just assuming Manziel's McNairs obvious choice? The point of my post was, how did he come to this conclusion?
I think either 1) some people think McNair went to A&M or 2) because he's so close that McNair "saw" all of the JFF uproar. Like cable television doesn't reach across the country.

I've seen same said about Jaguars "obvious" interest in Bortles because he's "right there in their back yard." Silly.
Old 02-04-2014   #19
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Russ Lande = one of the guys who had Nassib #1 overall on his big board last year.
Old 02-04-2014   #20
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37218 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Because the players are judged on football play, and everything is already on tape.

Interview might put you off a player. Combine might reveal injury concerns. There are still some height/weight/speed relics around but let's hope OB is beyond the Al Davis school of drafting. Pro days are interesting, but you're not comparing guys and it's still not football.
Agreed, so why would the Texans lean bortles and manziel over Teddy B. when Teddys play was just as good or better. I understand if they have them ranked higher than boyd because the tape shows that they played better than him.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read