Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-03-2014   #1
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Later Round Gems?

Just wanted to start a thread for those guys who won't get the attention to have a full thread dedicated to them but are intriguing guys that it would be good to get some more info/opinions on.

The guy I wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on is Cornelius Lucas, OT, Kansas State LINK

Projected as a 4th-6th rounder.

Huge physical specimen, good feet, great pass blocker.

Old 02-03-2014   #2
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102895 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Later Round Gems?

I'd love to have Jimmie Ward, safety, from Northern Illinois.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...68/jimmie-ward
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #3
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
I'd love to have Jimmie Ward, safety, from Northern Illinois.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...68/jimmie-ward
I think Ward is getting a lot of love at the moment. Seems like a genuine modern safety prospect.

Wonder if he is slowly creeping up the boards and if he would last to 4:1
Old 02-03-2014   #4
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Just wanted to start a thread for those guys who won't get the attention to have a full thread dedicated to them but are intriguing guys that it would be good to get some more info/opinions on.

The guy I wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on is Cornelius Lucas, OT, Kansas State LINK

Huge is an understatement. I actually think he might be too big for his own good. You gotta be real special, like Jonathan Ogden special, to move around at 6'8 at the NFL level and have any success.

I would not be surprised if this dude dips into the 7th come draft day and released 2 years later.

Although he could be absolutely amazing and make me look real dumb, you never know.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #5
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
Huge is an understatement. I actually think he might be too big for his own good. You gotta be real special, like Jonathan Ogden special, to move around at 6'8 at the NFL level and have any success.

I would not be surprised if this dude dips into the 7th come draft day and released 2 years later.

Although he could be absolutely amazing and make me look real dumb, you never know.
Yeah, leverage is an issue, but they say he has the feet.

Size with good feet just intrigues me as a pass protector. He may struggle to shift people in the run game, but this is a passing league now...

We could just draft him as a TE prospect.....
Old 02-04-2014   #6
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, leverage is an issue, but they say he has the feet.

Size with good feet just intrigues me as a pass protector. He may struggle to shift people in the run game, but this is a passing league now...

We could just draft him as a TE prospect.....
What about Joe Don Duncan TE ?

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #7
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
What about Joe Don Duncan TE ?
I'd love some more informed opinion on him.

I have mocked him to the Texans late quite a few times based on what I read about him but I don't see enough game tape, or have the evaluative skills to really be critical.

Ask me to evaluate a footballer (round ball football) or a rugby league player though and 60% of the time, I am right everytime.
Old 02-04-2014   #8
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd love some more informed opinion on him.

I have mocked him to the Texans late quite a few times based on what I read about him but I don't see enough game tape, or have the evaluative skills to really be critical.

Ask me to evaluate a footballer (round ball football) or a rugby league player though and 60% of the time, I am right everytime.
Let's go All Blacks!
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #9
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21346 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Let's go All Blacks!
you are now on my hit list
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #10
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Let's go All Blacks!
Appreciate your enthusiasm

However wrong rugby code, league is the one that Australia is good at.

Rugby Union is a horrid festering turd of a sport.
Old 02-04-2014   #11
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Truer words were never tapped.

Not this prospect specifically, but any other fill in the blank guys.

At this point no one REALLY knows.

One more paragraph since GP isn't here.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #12
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 87983 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If he's all that, why is he only projected 4-6? Does he have a problem blocking for the run?
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #13
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
If he's all that, why is he only projected 4-6? Does he have a problem blocking for the run?
He has some issues generating push in the run game yes.

Defenders have shown ability to get into his pads and he lacks a bit of technique to maintain leverage.... but that is what you have coaching for.
Old 02-04-2014   #14
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Defenders have shown ability to get into his pads and he lacks a bit of technique to maintain leverage.... but that is what you have coaching for.
Are we sure we have those in place now? I really hope so. I'm comfy with all the coaching hires so far other than the OL guy. O'Brien din't get his first choice.

Really wouldn't effect him though since it'll be Koller in his ear.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #15
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 87983 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Is there reason to believe he hasn't been coached up to this point? Is he new to football?
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #16
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Is there reason to believe he hasn't been coached up to this point? Is he new to football?
That wasn't NFL coaching.

All you here at the senior bowl is how the NFL coaches spend all their time teaching the basics.
Old 02-04-2014   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 116344 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Jordan Najvar, Talented but oft injured

Demetri Goodson, Former BB player, supremely athletic, has skills needs experience.

Zack Kerr, Big guy who moves well, played against lower lever of comp, Played well in East-West game.

Jay Bromley- reminds me of Geno Atkins, has abilty to convert power into speed. Playmaker.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #18
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 4489 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

charles sims. guy could be a starter in the league. can run and catch. if picked up after 3rd rd, id say hes a steal
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #19
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetexanator View Post
charles sims. guy could be a starter in the league. can run and catch. if picked up after 3rd rd, id say hes a steal
That's the wvu rb, right? I like him a lot.
Old 02-05-2014   #20
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

By late round I'm assuming you mean rounds 5-7. These are some guys who are projected that area who I think are underrated.

Jeremy Gallon - WR, 5th or 6th round
Jordan Najvar - TE, 6th round
Spencer Long - OG, 5th round
Kenny Anunike - DE, 5th round
Chris Whaley - DT, 6th or 7th round
Derrick Hopkins - DT, 6th round
Shaquil Barrett - ILB, 6th or 7th round
Jeremiah George - ILB, 6th or 7th round
Jabari Price - CB, 6th round
Phillip Gaines - CB, 7th round
Tre Boston - FS, 5th or 6th round
Alden Darby - FS, 5th round
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read