Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

bah007 Post Super Bowl Mock

bah007

Hall of Fame
In the past, I've tried too hard to predict what I think will happen. I'm done with that style of mock. It's impossible. This mock is a representation of what I would do if I were running each team as their selection came up.

1. HOU – Teddy Bridgewater – QB, Louisville
2. STL – Greg Robinson – OT, Auburn
3. JAC – Blake Bortles – QB, UCF
4. CLE – Sammy Watkins – WR, Clemson
5. OAK – Jadeveon Clowney – DE, South Carolina
6. ATL – Jake Matthews – OG, Texas A&M
7. TB – C.J. Moseley – ILB, Alabama
8. MIN – Johnny Manziel – QB, Texas A&M
9. BUF – Khalil Mack – OLB, Buffalo
10. DET – Justin Gilbert – CB, Oklahoma St
11. TEN – Anthony Barr – OLB, UCLA
12. NYG – Stephon Tuitt – DT, Notre Dame
13. STL – Zack Martin – OG, Notre Dame
14. CHI – Timmy Jernigan – DT, Florida St
15. PIT – Marqise Lee – WR, USC
16. BAL – Eric Ebron – TE, North Carolina
17. DAL – Louis Nix – DT, Notre Dame
18. NYJ – Cyrus Kouandjio – OT, Alabama
19. MIA – Antonio Richardson – OT, Tennessee
20. ARI – Taylor Lewan – OT, Michigan
21. GB – HaHa Clinton-Dix – FS, Alabama
22. PHI – Darqueze Dennard – CB, Michigan St
23. KC – Austin Seferian-Jenkins – TE, Washington
24. CIN – Kony Ealy – DE, Missouri
25. SD – Lamarcus Joyner – CB, Florida St
26. CLE – Tre Mason – RB, Auburn
27. NO – Ryan Shazier – OLB, Ohio St
28. CAR – Odell Beckham Jr. – WR, LSU
29. NE – Aaron Donald – DT, Pittsburgh
30. SF – Jordan Matthews – WR, Vanderbilt
31. DEN – Jason Verrett – CB, TCU
32. SEA – Mike Evans – WR, Texas A&M

Texans full draft (measurements are guesses, won't know official until combine):

#1. Teddy Bridgewater – QB, Louisville, 6-2, 210
- Very NFL-ready QB prospect. Efficiently and effectively ran a pro-style offense in college. Ahead of the game as far as his ability to read the defense pre-snap and get his team in the correct play. Makes his reads quickly and gets the ball out quickly. Deadly against the blitz. Athletic enough to buy time but always keeps his eyes downfield. Very accurate passer with great touch. His release point is lower than I would like but I can deal with it. He’s not prototypical size but he has shown toughness and durability in the past. His downfield accuracy leaves a little to be desired but I think it’s a fixable issue. #4 overall prospect on my board.

#33. Kyle Van Noy – OLB, BYU, 6-3, 245
- Tremendous instincts jump out at you immediately when you watch him. He always seems to know where the ball is and where it is going. Won’t wow you but he is sneaky athletic. He reacts very quickly and then gets where he needs to be very quickly. Underrated in coverage and a solid tackler. Needs a little bit of work as a pass rusher but he is efficient. #31 prospect on my board.

#65. Jimmie Ward – FS, Northern Illinois, 5-11, 195
- Smaller than you would like at FS but he is a fierce tackler who doesn’t mind doing dirty work. He has also been cross-trained at CB, which is a requisite for the FS position in today’s NFL as far as I am concerned. Dominated offenses in college. Shows great hips in coverage. Good ball skills. Fantastic instincts. He sees the entire field and is incredibly versatile. His size is the only thing not to love. To me, he looks like a slightly smaller, slightly less athletic Earl Thomas. #68 prospect on my board.

#97. Antonio Andrews – RB, Western Kentucky, 5-10, 225
- Ideal build for a running back, thick and compact. Has great vision and runs with low pads. Uses impressive leg strength to fight forward through defenders. Diagnoses the hole quickly and hits it hard. Great initial burst. Good hands out of the backfield. Weapon in the open field despite not having great long speed. Has had fumbling issues in the past and needs to improve in that area. #105 prospect on my board.

#129. Ross Cockrell – CB, Duke, 6-0, 185
- Great play recognition (a theme of mine as I scout defenders) and underrated athleticism. Great closing speed on the ball but drops at lot of potential INTs. Has very good hips and is awesome in off man coverage. Great in zone coverage as well but not a very physical player. Not very good pressing at the line and not a great tackler. Seems to avoid contact at times when defending the run. #136 prospect on my board.

#161. Bruce Gaston – NT, Purdue, 6-2, 320
- Good but not great size for a one gap NT. Has good feet and moves well for his size. Gets lazy at times but he is nasty when he is motivated. Has the strength to shed blocks but can get high sometimes. Not a threat to rush the passer but he can plug up the hole and make plays in the running game. #162 prospect on my board.

#193. Shaquil Barrett – ILB, Colorado St, 6-2, 260
- Played as a rush LB in college but I think he moves inside in the pros. Barrett is not an impressive athlete and he won’t wow you with any of his skills but he is a straight up football player. At ILB you can hide his lack of athleticism and just let him destroy the line of scrimmage. He is strong and makes the most out of the athleticism that he does possess. He is long and explosive and destroys blockers with hands that hit you like bricks. You can also put his pass rushing skills into good use. He shows a variety of moves. He is very raw in coverage and will need some work there but he has a ton of skills to work with. #196 prospect on my board.

:clap: Well done as usual.

A couple of things.

Is Gilbert that much better than Dennard?

I know you are not predicting what CLE would do. But I have to think they would avoid taking a RB in round 1 after how the Richardson pick worked out.

While Van Noy makes a ton of sense at 33, did you give any consideration to Ra'Shede Hageman for our nose, or Kelvin Benjamin to grow with Teddy B?

You know what's coming right ? Where's the OL help ?

I sure do. I had a couple of opportunities to slide in some OL help, but until we know what we have on our roster we don't know where we need help. We've got a couple of young guys that I think have a real shot to be useful.

:clap: Well done as usual.

A couple of things.

Is Gilbert that much better than Dennard?

I know you are not predicting what CLE would do. But I have to think they would avoid taking a RB in round 1 after how the Richardson pick worked out.

While Van Noy makes a ton of sense at 33, did you give any consideration to Ra'Shede Hageman for our nose, or Kelvin Benjamin to grow with Teddy B?

I think Dennard is a better college corner than NFL corner. He is too physical and some of it won't fly in the pros. Gilbert is raw but he's been extremely productive and he's an insane athlete.

As for the Browns, I quote Ray Lewis, "only a fool trips on what's behind him." Don't pass up on the best back in the draft if you can get him for less than what he's worth. It's not my fault they were wrong on Richardson. At least it worked out for them in the end.

Hageman is a better fit at DE in a 34 and Benjamin is too raw for me. Plus, I have Van Noy rated higher than both.

Nice mock, thanks for introducing me to Barrett as a prospect, sounds intriguing.

Love Van Noy as a prospect for his coverage ability and instincts, think we need more instinctive players in our back 7 or 8 (depending on the formation.)

Only pick I wouldn't like is the RB, but I just don't like drafting backs in general.

Nice mock, thanks for introducing me to Barrett as a prospect, sounds intriguing.

Love Van Noy as a prospect for his coverage ability and instincts, think we need more instinctive players in our back 7 or 8 (depending on the formation.)

Only pick I wouldn't like is the RB, but I just don't like drafting backs in general.

With the way the league is now, it may not be totally necessary to use draft picks on backs when you can find decent ones in FA or after the draft.

But without knowing what Foster will be next year, and not being totally confident in what we have at RB, I decided I would address the position if opportunity struck.

At that point in the draft I wanted to address the OL. But the prospects you're looking at are as follows:

James Hurst - Coming off of injury. We have enough of that already on the squad.
Seantrel Henderson - Notorious headcase who never played up to his ability in college.
Wesley Johnson - Undersized player from Vanderbilt who could possibly be a RT or LG in a zone system. Basically Quessenberry.

Andrews is the back you can get in the second half of this draft that has the highest potential to be a franchise three down back. I had him rated higher than all three OL.

I sure do. I had a couple of opportunities to slide in some OL help, but until we know what we have on our roster we don't know where we need help. We've got a couple of young guys that I think have a real shot to be useful.

I agree and figure you can't fix a broken dam with 7 bricks but you can slow the flow using some bricks you may already have .

Good stuff. I like this a lot. I'm almost 85% sure the Browns won't draft Tre Mason.

This is the same brain trust that assumes they can get any phenom at RB because they did it w/ Shady McCoy (at least I think that's right).

I like the Texan mock draft.

You obviously know more than me, but if I was to say anything I would say Ross Cockrell won't be there. If he can get under a 4.5 at the combine I think he's 3rd round material. You pointed out a lot of things he needs to work on and likely all true, pretty fixable stuff IMO.

I also think we have plenty of line help on this team. I will definitely spend late picks on it though.

Texans full draft (measurements are guesses, won't know official until combine):

- Very NFL-ready QB prospect. Efficiently and effectively ran a pro-style offense in college. Ahead of the game as far as his ability to read the defense pre-snap and get his team in the correct play. Makes his reads quickly and gets the ball out quickly. Deadly against the blitz. Athletic enough to buy time but always keeps his eyes downfield. Very accurate passer with great touch. His release point is lower than I would like but I can deal with it. He’s not prototypical size but he has shown toughness and durability in the past. His downfield accuracy leaves a little to be desired but I think it’s a fixable issue. #4 overall prospect on my board.

- Tremendous instincts jump out at you immediately when you watch him. He always seems to know where the ball is and where it is going. Won’t wow you but he is sneaky athletic. He reacts very quickly and then gets where he needs to be very quickly. Underrated in coverage and a solid tackler. Needs a little bit of work as a pass rusher but he is efficient. #31 prospect on my board.

- Smaller than you would like at FS but he is a fierce tackler who doesn’t mind doing dirty work. He has also been cross-trained at CB, which is a requisite for the FS position in today’s NFL as far as I am concerned. Dominated offenses in college. Shows great hips in coverage. Good ball skills. Fantastic instincts. He sees the entire field and is incredibly versatile. His size is the only thing not to love. To me, he looks like a slightly smaller, slightly less athletic Earl Thomas. #68 prospect on my board.

- Ideal build for a running back, thick and compact. Has great vision and runs with low pads. Uses impressive leg strength to fight forward through defenders. Diagnoses the hole quickly and hits it hard. Great initial burst. Good hands out of the backfield. Weapon in the open field despite not having great long speed. Has had fumbling issues in the past and needs to improve in that area. #105 prospect on my board.

- Great play recognition (a theme of mine as I scout defenders) and underrated athleticism. Great closing speed on the ball but drops at lot of potential INTs. Has very good hips and is awesome in off man coverage. Great in zone coverage as well but not a very physical player. Not very good pressing at the line and not a great tackler. Seems to avoid contact at times when defending the run. #136 prospect on my board.

- Good but not great size for a one gap NT. Has good feet and moves well for his size. Gets lazy at times but he is nasty when he is motivated. Has the strength to shed blocks but can get high sometimes. Not a threat to rush the passer but he can plug up the hole and make plays in the running game. #162 prospect on my board.

- Played as a rush LB in college but I think he moves inside in the pros. Barrett is not an impressive athlete and he won’t wow you with any of his skills but he is a straight up football player. At ILB you can hide his lack of athleticism and just let him destroy the line of scrimmage. He is strong and makes the most out of the athleticism that he does possess. He is long and explosive and destroys blockers with hands that hit you like bricks. You can also put his pass rushing skills into good use. He shows a variety of moves. He is very raw in coverage and will need some work there but he has a ton of skills to work with. #196 prospect on my board.

Great mock. I like the Bridgewater pick. It just seems like the most likely scenario IMO. It's a crowded group at QB, but he's easily the most pro ready (again JMO).

Love the Van Noy pick. I actually think he's better than Barr. Barr just has a ton of upside which is why he's projected so high. I will be surprised if Van Noy drops out of the 1st round though.

Love Jimmie Ward. Definitely fits the modern mold at FS because of his versatility to cover WR's and TE's.

I'm a big Antonio Andrews fan. I agree that he's the best bet at a starting back in the mid-to-late rounds. 3-down back with some return ability.

Also love the Cockrell pick. I've been high on him for a while now. I think I've included him in just about every one of my mocks. I think he's very underrated.

I actually like Bruce Gaston, although I doubt he lasts this long. He proved some things at the Senior Bowl with the questions about his pass rushing ability so I think he will move up toward the mid-rounds.

I've heard of Barrett, but haven't studied him. Can't knock the pick though.

Great stuff.

Great mock. I like the Bridgewater pick. It just seems like the most likely scenario IMO. It's a crowded group at QB, but he's easily the most pro ready (again JMO).

Love the Van Noy pick. I actually think he's better than Barr. Barr just has a ton of upside which is why he's projected so high. I will be surprised if Van Noy drops out of the 1st round though.

Love Jimmie Ward. Definitely fits the modern mold at FS because of his versatility to cover WR's and TE's.

I'm a big Antonio Andrews fan. I agree that he's the best bet at a starting back in the mid-to-late rounds. 3-down back with some return ability.

Also love the Cockrell pick. I've been high on him for a while now. I think I've included him in just about every one of my mocks. I think he's very underrated.

I actually like Bruce Gaston, although I doubt he lasts this long. He proved some things at the Senior Bowl with the questions about his pass rushing ability so I think he will move up toward the mid-rounds.

I've heard of Barrett, but haven't studied him. Can't knock the pick though.

Great stuff.

Echo that!

One thing about that Seattle D that stuck out to me was length & overall speed. Second thing was what a tightly knit group they where, when even someone stepped out of line or exposed in public, there was no hesitation, teammates had each others back, sense of community. Third thing is Earl Thomas is leader of that defense, the entire unit should have received co mvp's. Remember when Earl came out we all wanted Texans to draft him? This is why its so important to put yourself in a position to take bpa whenever possible, whatever it takes.

Another unsung hero on defense for the Broncos & their primary pass rusher was Cliff Avril who wound up replacing Von Miller. Had two QB hits on Manning one I think resulted in a pick? Anyway was thinking of him, looking back, comparing him to Van Noy coming out. He was a late 3rd taken by Detroit, 6027 253 ran 4.61. incredible arm length @ 34 5/8 that showed with his ability to knock/hit a 6'6" QB arms all night long. A terrific free agent pick-up for Seattle. That kind of length is what Seattle seems to look for generally, we'll see @ Combine but Van Noy sure looks long & lean to me too.

very nice draft bah007 :wesmantexanfan:

I really want to do a mock,but I want to wait till free agency. I applaud they guys who do thm and it gives me a cross reference of players to view.

Of course I will never have a problem with the bridgewater pick at #1, so let me move from there. If going by your chart, Jace Amaro is still there at 33. I also see Dee Ford,Markus Smith, still there. I think Jace is gonna be higher rated than van noy,ford and smith. Considering amaro is a matchup problem in the seams and flexed out,he is something we don't have in a te. All of the texans te's are 10 yd cloud of dust non vertical te's. When people compare amaro to a healthy gronk type,his talent is to good yto pass.

Dee Ford might be gone by the 3rd,but I think the next best natural pass rusher will be there and that TB's teammate, Markus Smith. He's gonna test well,has good am length and is explosive. He's shown flexibility to play olb and some of the olb concepts( zone,curls,flat)

I have 3 guys here and I'm having a lot trouble. Kelcy quarles,Keith McGill,and Sistrunk. All three will be here and I think all 3 are rated pretty close. I like Clowneys teammate a lot. He's scheme proof. He's 6'4 300lbs,but his frame can carry at least 20lbs. He has long arm,quick step and power. He can play nt or 5 tech. Mcgill is a guy I noticed while watching hundley. He's a big corner,6'3, fluid and athletic. Even before the senior mowl practices, I've seen enough to see his uniqueness. His arms and hips and good for a guy his size playing . Sistrunk is a 3 down back. He may not do it as a rookie,but he can catch,is explosive,and will knock you head off. With forster coming off ir and tate hitting free agency,they need a rb. I dnt like drafting by need,but this guys talents makes him bpa

I really want to do a mock,but I want to wait till free agency. I applaud they guys who do thm and it gives me a cross reference of players to view.

Of course I will never have a problem with the bridgewater pick at #1, so let me move from there. If going by your chart, Jace Amaro is still there at 33. I also see Dee Ford,Markus Smith, still there. I think Jace is gonna be higher rated than van noy,ford and smith. Considering amaro is a matchup problem in the seams and flexed out,he is something we don't have in a te. All of the texans te's are 10 yd cloud of dust non vertical te's. When people compare amaro to a healthy gronk type,his talent is to good yto pass.

Dee Ford might be gone by the 3rd,but I think the next best natural pass rusher will be there and that TB's teammate, Markus Smith. He's gonna test well,has good am length and is explosive. He's shown flexibility to play olb and some of the olb concepts( zone,curls,flat)

I have 3 guys here and I'm having a lot trouble. Kelcy quarles,Keith McGill,and Sistrunk. All three will be here and I think all 3 are rated pretty close. I like Clowneys teammate a lot. He's scheme proof. He's 6'4 300lbs,but his frame can carry at least 20lbs. He has long arm,quick step and power. He can play nt or 5 tech. Mcgill is a guy I noticed while watching hundley. He's a big corner,6'3, fluid and athletic. Even before the senior mowl practices, I've seen enough to see his uniqueness. His arms and hips and good for a guy his size playing . Sistrunk is a 3 down back. He may not do it as a rookie,but he can catch,is explosive,and will knock you head off. With forster coming off ir and tate hitting free agency,they need a rb. I dnt like drafting by need,but this guys talents makes him bpa

I have Van Noy rated higher than Amaro, but I wouldn't be opposed to the Amaro pick. I think Ford is a better pass rusher than Van Noy but Van Noy is a more complete player.

If I hadn't taken Van Noy in the 2nd I would target a guy like Smith in the 3rd.

I think Quarles is off the board mid-2nd. I'm really high on him. I'm not as high on McGill as most. I see a S trying to play CB. I think he's being overrated by people hoping to capture Seattle's success with big corners. He has good skills for his size, but I don't see NFL cover skills. I think he'd make an above average FS but a below average CB. I like Andrews in the 4th a lot more than Seastrunk in the 3rd. He doesn't have the long speed that Seastrunk does, but he's far more powerful, he's a great fit for a zone system, and he's great as a receiver out of the backfield.

007, in regards to mcgill,watch him vs ucla who has a pretty good wr. He struggled vs brandin cooks mostly by technique. RAC loves those hybrid cb/s types. Eugene Wilson had a huge role in those sb's under romeo. McCourty made the pro bowl as a cb, but now he's a safety. We know DJ is a SS,but McGills ability to play cb,but also play safety is a bonus.

Nice mock. I lke picks 1, 2, 5, and 6. I don't know anything about 3, 4, and 7. I like the Gaston pick, I've had him in the 7th round of several of my mocks as well. I like him as a clog the middle, stuff the run kind of NT wil some decent agility for such a big man. Also the Van Noy pick fixes 2 spots with 1 pick if we move Reed to ILB.

good stuff. covered our needs. but what are we doing at te?

Seems most people want to give it one more go with Daniels, Graham, and Griffin. I looked at Marcel Jensen in the 4th but couldn't pull the trigger with Andrews still on the board.

I personally think Griffin has a future. He performed very well for a 6th round pick. I think he and Daniels make a good 1-2 punch if OD can stay healthy.

I loved Graham in college and was ecstatic when we drafted him. I'm starting to sour. He's an okay player, but I think he's our third best TE moving forward.

In this scenario, we either look for a TE as a UDFA or in free agency, or we bring Graham back.

007, in regards to mcgill,watch him vs ucla who has a pretty good wr. He struggled vs brandin cooks mostly by technique. RAC loves those hybrid cb/s types. Eugene Wilson had a huge role in those sb's under romeo. McCourty made the pro bowl as a cb, but now he's a safety. We know DJ is a SS,but McGills ability to play cb,but also play safety is a bonus.

I'm not debating whether he was good in college or not. He was an All American S in JUCO and then played well at CB for Utah.

I'm also not debating that he wouldn't be a useful player to have on our roster.

I just think that he is a FS with cover skills, not a big CB. I think people want him to be a CB because of the Seahawks model, but I don't project him there. He could maybe be a press corner in a cover two, but in our system I think he fits at FS.

I'm not debating whether he was good in college or not. He was an All American S in JUCO and then played well at CB for Utah.

I'm also not debating that he wouldn't be a useful player to have on our roster.

I just think that he is a FS with cover skills, not a big CB. I think people want him to be a CB because of the Seahawks model, but I don't project him there. He could maybe be a press corner in a cover two, but in our system I think he fits at FS.

If I could interject, this is really critical evaluation information where somehow his football work ethic, burning internal desires that you could connect to & coach him up need to be measured, in other words it has to be the right fit both ways, not just a plug & play option @ CB think that would fail, which is what has happened here too many times. All on O'Brian, his staff & revamped scouting department. I think he could go either way, but with Seattle success why wouldn't they be the ones to take him? Any idea how much Richard Sherman will cost once his contract is up or franchise him?

Give me Clowney at 1-1 and Cassel and a Clabo type RT in FA on short term deals and I'm a very happy camper.

1. Bridgewater -Pass
2. Van Noy- top 15 pick great pick if he's there at 33
3 Ward- Great pick- he can take over GQ's role
4. Andrews. Like the pick, I would probably pick an OL like Bitonio here.
5. Cockrell- Great pick, hope he falls this far
6. Gaston- Impressed me at East-West game. Big run stopper
7. Barrett- Don't know much about him

This mock fills most of the holes and all are good players. If you look at the Texans as a 2-3 yr rebuilding project and don't force picks to fill holes then this is a great mock. IMHO

If I could interject, this is really critical evaluation information where somehow his football work ethic, burning internal desires that you could connect to & coach him up need to be measured, in other words it has to be the right fit both ways, not just a plug & play option @ CB think that would fail, which is what has happened here too many times. All on O'Brian, his staff & revamped scouting department. I think he could go either way, but with Seattle success why wouldn't they be the ones to take him? Any idea how much Richard Sherman will cost once his contract is up or franchise him?

He appears to be a hard worker. All American JUCO and then switched positions to play at Utah. If the coaches think he can help at CB then I have no issue with them trying it.

I just don't think he has the requisite skills to play man coverage as a CB on NFL WRs. I do, however, think that the cover skills he does possess make him an intriguing FS prospect who could occasionally jam at the line of scrimmage or cover TEs downfield.

Revis signed a 6 year, $96 million deal last year. I would expect Sherman gets something at least close to that.

He appears to be a hard worker. All American JUCO and then switched positions to play at Utah. If the coaches think he can help at CB then I have no issue with them trying it.

I just don't think he has the requisite skills to play man coverage as a CB on NFL WRs. I do, however, think that the cover skills he does possess make him an intriguing FS prospect who could occasionally jam at the line of scrimmage or cover TEs downfield.

Revis signed a 6 year, $96 million deal last year. I would expect Sherman gets something at least close to that.

Fair. But how are Seahawks going to pay both Sherman & Russel Wilson?

2. STL – Greg Robinson – OT, Auburn
13. STL – Zack Martin – OG, Notre Dame

9. BUF – Khalil Mack – OLB, Buffalo
11. TEN – Anthony Barr – OLB, UCLA

23. KC – Austin Seferian-Jenkins – TE, Washington

28. CAR – Odell Beckham Jr. – WR, LSU

32. SEA – Mike Evans – WR, Texas A&M

1, Will St Louis be that smart? Would be a killer draft, imo.

2. Agree Mack > Barr.

3. I'd put Evans at KC and ASJ or other TE at Seattle.

4. Love OBJr for CAR, little Stevie baller is getting old.

Excellent FRM. Best I've seen anywhere to now. MSR. :handshake:

Good stuff. I like this a lot. I'm almost 85% sure the Browns won't draft Tre Mason.

This is the same brain trust that assumes they can get any phenom at RB because they did it w/ Shady McCoy (at least I think that's right).

Browns' Brain Trust is all fired, your mock now looks cleaner than ever.

Back