Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-03-2014   #61
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What I took away from Super Bowl related to Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
There is a lot to take away from the Seahawks championship and how they built this team.

I think one of the under the radar moves was the gutsy call to not let the FO make decisions about the roster and who is starting. Most teams would have forced Matt Flynn with the huge contract. Instead, they allowed the HC and staff to pick who they thought gave them the best chance to win, and that was a 3rd round rookie. They did not let salaries determine anything, but instead let the QBs truly compete for the job.

And it's obvious the Seahawks FO is just as much a cohesive team as the one they field. Having the scouting department and personnel people put together a roster that competes at such a high level while allowing the players to maintain their individuality should be a lesson to all those 'old school' coaches who try to force players into their methods and systems.

And the Seahawks also confirmed the old saying "defenses win championship" can still be valid in this day and age of offense-happy league policy and rules. To see one of the greatest offenses in the history of the game being led by one of the greatest QBs ever and have them dismantled and dominated was refreshing to this fan of defense.
I'll just add to this the importance of the ST, and the running game.

Like TK and others have said, it usually takes the whole team to win a SB.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #62
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
I get all my opinions from twitter!

Defense wins championships!
Draft Clowney!
Get a QB n the 3rd! Worked for Seattle.
reserve Super Bowl tickets now!
I'm down on all of those ideas but we can draft a quarterback with the 33rd overall pick and the first selection in round two. We don't necessarily have to wait until the third round. We definitely have to beef up our defense and what better way to do that with the top pick? If we can trade down that works also otherwise I'd be happy taking Jadeveon Clowney. It will make J.J. Watt a happy man. A defense built around a young J.J. Watt, Jadeveon Clowney and Brian Cushing would be a damn good foundation to have in place for the rest of the decade, even better than Seattle's top three defensive players IMO. We'll just have to keep on adding defensive talent as we go.
Old 02-03-2014   #63
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 446 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
I'm down on all of those ideas but we can draft a quarterback with the 33rd overall pick and the first selection in round two. We don't necessarily have to wait until the third round. We definitely have to beef up our defense and what better way to do that with the top pick? If we can trade down that works also otherwise I'd be happy taking Jadeveon Clowney. It will make J.J. Watt a happy man. A defense built around a young J.J. Watt, Jadeveon Clowney and Brian Cushing would be a damn good foundation to have in place for the rest of the decade, even better than Seattle's top three defensive players IMO. We'll just have to keep on adding defensive talent as we go.
There are fantastic arguments for drafting player X at #1 and targeting position X at #33. I am at the point where I almost don't care. I just want to see scheme fit and player development throughout the draft.

Pete Carroll did a masterful job of developing the players identified by Scheider. While he isn't yelling at players and barking furiously before the cameras, Carroll has done a good job of creating a culture of success.

That D was good in 2011. The QB, and receivers, was the final piece. That D wasn't dependent on a single transcendent talent. Those guys are smart, well-coached and perfect fits for the style they play.

Clowney? Manziel? Bridgewater? Dunno. I look forward to seeing what O'Brien thinks, though. ( And I'll keep track of those players where ever they go, except the Cowboys.)

Can't wait for the combine!
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #64
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 4915 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw the first few minutes and thought: There, but for the disgrace of Smithiak, go the Texans. They could have had Manning, and with him maybe they would have been in the SB.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #65
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Did a little research on the Seahawks.

They have 73 players on their roster accoridng to Seahawks.com.

They have had 87 draft picks in the last 10yrs according to wikipedia.

Of those 87 picks, only 30 are still on the roster.

Not sure what it means or how it compares to the league average but thought it was interesting.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #66
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post

Not sure what it means or how it compares to the league average but thought it was interesting.
I'm sure others read the article that they have had more changeover than any other team in NFL. I think they are always looking for an upgrade no matter how small. If you stop looking you have no chance of finding possible players that will improve your team. Also some of the starters/backups get "comfortable". Maybe new HC will change this for Texans.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #67
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15515 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
There is a lot to take away from the Seahawks championship and how they built this team.

I think one of the under the radar moves was the gutsy call to not let the FO make decisions about the roster and who is starting. Most teams would have forced Matt Flynn with the huge contract. Instead, they allowed the HC and staff to pick who they thought gave them the best chance to win, and that was a 3rd round rookie. They did not let salaries determine anything, but instead let the QBs truly compete for the job.

And it's obvious the Seahawks FO is just as much a cohesive team as the one they field. Having the scouting department and personnel people put together a roster that competes at such a high level while allowing the players to maintain their individuality should be a lesson to all those 'old school' coaches who try to force players into their methods and systems.

And the Seahawks also confirmed the old saying "defenses win championship" can still be valid in this day and age of offense-happy league policy and rules. To see one of the greatest offenses in the history of the game being led by one of the greatest QBs ever and have them dismantled and dominated was refreshing to this fan of defense.
Pete Carroll had intimate knowledge on these obscure late round picks from his college days - heck - he may have been in their homes trying to recruit them for college ball. That is an advantage that will end now that PC is farther removed from college. Maybe Brown errr, O'Brien will have similar tricks.
Old 02-04-2014   #68
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 26027 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
I saw the first few minutes and thought: There, but for the disgrace of Smithiak, go the Texans. They could have had Manning, and with him maybe they would have been in the SB.
Would you rather get humiliated in the Superbowl or fall short of reaching the Superbowl. I know the answer most give and I used to give, but my opinion may be changing.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #69
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

You know what my take aways from the SB were?
  • Sometimes teams don't show up to games.
  • Sometimes, Great teams can play like sh!t.
  • Some teams don't match up well to other teams.
  • Sometimes defenses impose their will, sometimes they don't.
  • Sometimes Elite QB's take over games, sometimes they don't.

You can't quantify the entire NFL in one game.........
Old 02-05-2014   #70
sandman
Veteran

Rep Power: 36157 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
Our front office is playing Checkers while Seattle's is Bobby Fischer
You know what I love about this message board? This particular post gets made after every Super Bowl, no matter what team wins.

Go ahead and insert any winner from the Smith/Kubiak era. I promise you there is post just like this out there in the archives.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #71
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

My takeaway? Pete Carrol is a genius.
He has somehow managed to have a college atmosphere in the pros and it's working like a charm. Kudos to him and what is possibly one of the greatest superbowl performances I have ever seen
Old 02-05-2014   #72
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Trindon Holliday can cost you games with stupid decisions. Taking the ball out on that first possession instead of kneeling it was the difference between a safety and a 2nd and 25.

Everyone fell in love with Seattle's offense for some unknown reason. Until Denver was just lunging trying to dislodge the ball I thought Seattle's offense was pretty bad tbh. 3 trips with outstanding field position yeilded 2 FGs.

Denver looked a lot like we did for an entire season in just one game. I kept thinking "they have too much talent to play this badly for this long" and I still think I was right. There were some horrible bounces that cost Denver dearly and some stupid plays (Thomas fumble, punt return) and once Seattle was up by 21 pts you knew that Denver had to take huge risks to try to get back into the game.

Manning will be back along with 3/5 of his offensive line (we should try to sign Unger cause I'm pretty sure Manning put a pink slip on his locker at half time).

Once every 10 years an unbelievable defense wins a championship. The other 9 go to great QBs.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #73
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post

They changed gms 4 or 5 years . His record with late round picks. Has been insane and honestly nearly impossible to maintain. Think 8 or 9 starters of 22 are 4th or later
Old 02-05-2014   #74
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike02 View Post
Trindon Holliday can cost you games with stupid decisions. Taking the ball out on that first possession instead of kneeling it was the difference between a safety and a 2nd and 25.

Mike
If Holiday took a knee & Denver started on the 20, how's 2nd & 25 better than a safety? How's it different?
Old 02-05-2014   #75
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 169179 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If Holiday took a knee & Denver started on the 20, how's 2nd & 25 better than a safety? How's it different?
Is this a trick question?

1. The safety is a turnover
2. ..results in instant pts for the other guys.
3. represents a morale boost to the opposition,
4. potentially causes a collective "OH SNAP" for your guys.

2nd and 25 is no worse than a clipping call (is clipping still a 15 yarder? I forget) on a 2nd down pass play.

Of course that 2nd & 25 thingie assumes that Denver recovers the botched snap and there's no guarantee of that occurrence.

Say Holliday did take a knee and the botched snap still happens; the outcome could just as likely have been 1st and goal on the 10 or the 5 for Seattle. Then they give it to "Beast Mode" and he goes in for six on second or third down.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #76
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 4915 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
My takeaway? Pete Carrol is a genius.
He has somehow managed to have a college atmosphere in the pros and it's working like a charm. Kudos to him and what is possibly one of the greatest superbowl performances I have ever seen
Pete Carroll has long been a super coach. When Seattle got him I figured they would go places. They did, just not right away. Some good coaches turn it around right away; others slowly build a dynasty.

I have a nagging feeling we may wish the Texans had grabbed one of these elite coaches. There are some in college, like Nick Saban.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #77
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 80130 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
Pete Carroll has long been a super coach. When Seattle got him I figured they would go places. They did, just not right away. Some good coaches turn it around right away; others slowly build a dynasty.

I have a nagging feeling we may wish the Texans had grabbed one of these elite coaches. There are some in college, like Nick Saban.
Who is to say they didn't?
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #78
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Is this a trick question?
Well, being that 2nd & 25 from the 20 means you're snapping the ball 5 yards deep in the endzone...

Old 02-05-2014   #79
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
2nd and 25 means they have the ball at their 5 yardline....

Mike

Old 02-05-2014   #80
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Well, being that 2nd & 25 from the 20 means you're snapping the ball 5 yards deep in the endzone...

The first time was understandable but you just defended it... You know that 1st and 10 from the 20... 2nd and 25 from the 5... riiiiiight?

Mike

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read