Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-03-2014   #21
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What I took away from Super Bowl related to Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
I'm confused. Who is Brown? And what situation do you know about that you are referring to? I'm lost.
Obviously I am too. O' Brien thank you
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #22
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
Of course you need experience, don't be silly. Those coaches are all "Broken Down" old guys who once played too you know.
My point exactly.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #23
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331852 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Texan View Post
i've always felt it's "easier" to build an elite defense than find an elite qb.

a defense can be built with time. qb's are just a complete lottery crapshoot.
Four truly elite Ds stick out - '85 Bears, '00 Ravens, '02 Bucs, '13 Seahawks.

In that same period at least 15 SBs have been won by HoF or future HoF QBs.
Old 02-03-2014   #24
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12625 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

LOL -- I was going to add the '02 Bucs until you edited into your post....
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #25
Mr. Texan
I'm A Texan

Rep Power: 15229 Mr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
and a ton of other great defenisve teams without elite qb's made it the super bowl and had a chance.
Mr. Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #26
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12625 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
and a ton of other great defenisve teams without elite qb's made it the super bowl and had a chance.
Phil Simms was a good QB but I would not call him "elite" -- but his '86 and '90 Giants teams certainly had elite defenses.

Still, Simms isn't in the same category as McMahon, Dilfer or Brad Johnson. And the jury is still out on the '13 Seahawks, since in retrospect we may come to view Wilson as elite over time. After all, Brady wasn't yet elite by most folks after his first SB win but no one today would say that game wasn't won by an elite QB.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #27
cstyle42
Veteran

Rep Power: 5283 cstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by revan View Post
Plain and simple, the GM is the reason for that superbowl. Finding talent in the later rounds with guys who played with heart and passion is what won this for them. Sure they will have a hard time retaining them all when they are due their pay day but I have to hand it to the GM for finding this sort of talent at a low cost and going all the way.
True. This GM put all favoritism, prejudice and good ol boy thinking to the side and found good to great undervalued players. Lots of players that have that pure street toughness to look you straight in the eyes and punch the living shat out of you then classlessly talk trash while kicking you while your down no matter how big of a lead there is or how many seconds are left on the clock. The Texans need that badly... I like and value the pure good natured players but we must have the good and bad ones all in one. When this happens along with better leadership which you also will have automatically when this is done... now your ready to contend.
cstyle42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-03-2014   #28
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

My take away is that teams win Super Bowls.

I got the feeling that the Seahawks went into the game thinking it's "one for all & all for one" & they came out playing like it.

Denver on the other hand were hoping Manning would carry them through... this is just a feeling I had as I watched the game. Things started going "bad" for Peyton & the team was deflated.

I also think this same dynamic won the Patriots first three Super Bowls with Brady, the Steelers Super Bowl with Ben (the first one) & the Packers Super Bowl. Yeah, Brady, & Ben are "great" QBs now, but they weren't when they were winning Super Bowls. Now that they are riding Brady & Ben to the next Super Bowl... it's just not happening.

Rodgers was pretty darn good when he won, but that whole team played at a high level.

We need a QB, I'm not saying any different. But there's a culture that we're going to need instilled on our team to win the Super Bowl. I can see guys on this team to help get us there (man I wish Demeco & Glover were still here), but we're going to need that QB. He's going to have to be a leader, but he's also going to have to be a part of the team.

If that makes any sense.
Old 02-03-2014   #29
Mr. Texan
I'm A Texan

Rep Power: 15229 Mr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Brady wasn't yet elite by most folks after his first SB win but no one today would say that game wasn't won by an elite QB.
i would.

brady had an 87 passer rating throughout the regular season after he took over for bledsoe.

the patriots won in 2001 because of their defense and maybe cameras...j/k.

in the playoffs they held the raiders to 13 points, steelers to 17 points, and arguably the greatest offense of all time to 17 points.

brady was 16/27 for 145 yards with 1 TD and 0 INT's in the super bowl.

brady of course went on to be an elite qb but he was alex smith status that year.
Mr. Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #30
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post

Concerns I have based on above
*Brown seems to lean towards statue type QB. I really don't know this but just my concern.
*I think the Texans over rate their defense. How did the Texans perform against Peyton vs how the Seahawks performed.
*Don't have confidence in GM.
*Brown is a huge unknown. Inherited a 9-4 team and led them to 8-4 and 7-5. I know all about the situation.
Who the heck is Brown?
Old 02-03-2014   #31
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

There is a lot to take away from the Seahawks championship and how they built this team.

I think one of the under the radar moves was the gutsy call to not let the FO make decisions about the roster and who is starting. Most teams would have forced Matt Flynn with the huge contract. Instead, they allowed the HC and staff to pick who they thought gave them the best chance to win, and that was a 3rd round rookie. They did not let salaries determine anything, but instead let the QBs truly compete for the job.

And it's obvious the Seahawks FO is just as much a cohesive team as the one they field. Having the scouting department and personnel people put together a roster that competes at such a high level while allowing the players to maintain their individuality should be a lesson to all those 'old school' coaches who try to force players into their methods and systems.

And the Seahawks also confirmed the old saying "defenses win championship" can still be valid in this day and age of offense-happy league policy and rules. To see one of the greatest offenses in the history of the game being led by one of the greatest QBs ever and have them dismantled and dominated was refreshing to this fan of defense.
Old 02-03-2014   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by revan View Post
Plain and simple, the GM is the reason for that superbowl. Finding talent in the later rounds with guys who played with heart and passion is what won this for them. Sure they will have a hard time retaining them all when they are due their pay day but I have to hand it to the GM for finding this sort of talent at a low cost and going all the way.
It's more than that. Not only is it finding that talent, but it's getting the most out of them from Day 1 & not losing them because of the cap or whatever.

Demeco, Winston, Briesel, Quinn, Demps, Barwin, Casey, Dressen, Jacoby, Mario..... all guys we could've & probably should've done better with.

We've already lost Schaub's best years as well.
Old 02-03-2014   #33
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Our front office is playing Checkers while Seattle's is Bobby Fischer
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #34
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

In that same period at least 15 SBs have been won by HoF or future HoF QBs.
Quote:
The first one that comes to my mind was Strahan's '07 Giants. They defeated Tampa (Jon Gruden & Jeff Garcia), Dallas (Romo), Green Bay (Brett Favre), and 18-0 New England (Brady, like Manning this year, was at the head of the offensive juggernaut of the time).

I gotta think they were playing at a pretty high defensive level to go thru all three of those QBs to make it to the SB. ...did I mention they won them on the road? And then to beat the - at the time - the most high-powered offense ever! Yeah, for that playoff run they were playing some outstanding defense.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #35
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstyle42 View Post
True. This GM put all favoritism, prejudice and good ol boy thinking to the side and found good to great undervalued players. Lots of players that have that pure street toughness to look you straight in the eyes and punch the living shat out of you then classlessly talk trash while kicking you while your down no matter how big of a lead there is or how many seconds are left on the clock. The Texans need that badly... I like and value the pure good natured players but we must have the good and bad ones all in one. When this happens along with better leadership which you also will have automatically when this is done... now your ready to contend.
I wonder how much of the selection process - finding these "good-to-great undervalued players" - as you say, was due to the fact they needed to pay Matt Flynn vs. having a GM with superb bargin basement shopping skillz.

Personally, I think it was Pete Carroll's unorthodox coaching philosophy and his top notch scouting staff as much as it was anything the GM did. I mean who has an "up for grabs" day every week; where anyone can claim your spot if they outplay you at practice?? Who else does that?!

I mean, everyone CLAIMS they'll put the best 22 on the field but what that often translates to is we're gonna put the highest paid/highest drafted 22 on the field. Seattle actually puts the best 22 on the field no matter how much/how little they make or where they were selected in the draft or F/A process.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #36
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331852 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
The first one that comes to my mind was Strahan's '07 Giants. They defeated Tampa (Jon Gruden & Jeff Garcia), Dallas (Romo), Green Bay (Brett Favre), and 18-0 New England (Brady, like Manning this year, was at the head of the offensive juggernaut of the time).

I gotta think they were playing at a pretty high defensive level to go thru all three of those QBs to make it to the SB. ...did I mention they won them on the road? And then to beat the - at the time - the most high-powered offense ever! Yeah, for that playoff run they were playing some outstanding defense.
All true. Just for an added piece of info as teams get suggested I'll add a measure of QB contribution - post-season QB TDs/INTs

2013 Seahawks - Wilson 3 TDs/0 INTs
2007 Giants - Eli 6 TDs/1 INT
2002 Bucs - Johnson 5 TDs/3 INTs
2000 Ravens - Dilfer 3 TDs/1 INT
1985 Bears - McMahon 3 TDs/0 INTs

So far the 2007 Giants got the most out of their QB.
Old 02-03-2014   #37
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 21898 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post

MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #38
texan_joe
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 texan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respected

Seattle's entire success on defense is because of the back end. Their secondary is so lockdown that it makes the front sevens job simple. Everyone in the secondary brings something different to the table , but it works. Earl Thomas was the only first rounder of the bunch. Talent can be found at any point in the draft which is something the Texans haven't been all that bad at but could do better. Quarterback is the single most important position not just in football, but in all of sports in my opinion. Seattle won because of their D, but Russell Wilson was damn good after the 1st quarter.You need at least a GOOD quarterback to succeed. That's something we need. We need to draft a QB #1. I personally believe Teddy Bridgewater will be the best in this class and definitely has a chance to be a top tier QB. His skill set is comparable to Aaron Rodgers. We can build our D from there. I think we will be good with Swearinger but we need that ballhawk at safety. I was still pretty good with K-Jack coming in to this last season and I still might be if we can upgrade the other si de. I love J-JO, but injuries have caught up with him. Our front seven is a fairly easy fix in my opinion. We aren't as far off as others seem to think.
texan_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #39
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

I just hope like hell Rick Smith and O'brown will work together as closely as the 'Hawks management for the team.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #40
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

over the past few years tho pocket passing QB's have been the only type of qb's winning SB

Manning
Eli
Eli
Big ben
Big ben
Flacco
Brady
brady
brady
Rodgers
Breees
Trent dilfer
brad Johnson

so Russell last name Wilson imma kinda glad he won now he threw a monkey wrench in that hole thing I think if u have a rookie game manger type qb and a super strong DEF that can work has well
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read