Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-03-2014   #1
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8871 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What I took away from Super Bowl related to Texans

In no particular order:
* Seattle's D dominated the Broncos O. It seems the Texans are weaker on D than O generally speaking. Is defense more important than offense in being a great team, if so may be a waste to use 1st pick on QB. Now did the Seattle D dominate because Peyton is a statue and is not able to extend play kind of like MS?

*I think you need "some" mobility in a QB. Someone who can create, extend the play, and then make the throw. The Qb may only extend and make 2-3 plays a game but those plays could easily be the difference between a W or L.
Of course the QB must play smart and protect the ball. See Russell Wilson.

*As an organization/GM understand that you really don't know what you have in a player until you have them on your team. (Or at least you hope your coaching staff can evaluate the player without prejudice.) Your job is to get the best players on the team that gives you a chance to win. Don't be afraid to have player turnover. Don't let your ego on insecurity determine who plays or is even on the team. Open your eyes and evaluate your players honestly. Keep your personal relationship with them out of the evaluation. Football is not all physical skills, a players heart may be more important. The Seahawks turned over players more than any other team in the NFL. Don't know where Texans ranked. High draft choices don't guarantee success.

*The above may lead to the idea that if your are able to get multiple picks for the first draft pick you may want to get more picks because you really don't know what you may get especially in a QB and maybe a good D trumps (more important) a good QB.

*Experience is way over rated. You don't need a wise old broken down veteran to pass on his knowledge. I think good coaching should do this. If you feel you need to bring someone in like this you need new coaches. Experience is important but you still must have the physical ability to make the plays.

Concerns I have based on above
*Brown seems to lean towards statue type QB. I really don't know this but just my concern.
*I think the Texans over rate their defense. How did the Texans perform against Peyton vs how the Seahawks performed.
*Don't have confidence in GM.
*Brown is a huge unknown. Inherited a 9-4 team and led them to 8-4 and 7-5. I know all about the situation.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #2
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12794 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What I took away from Super Bowl related to Texans

Every time I saw Russell Wilson extend a play with his mobility and then make good decisions with the ball, turning what would have often been a sack or a pick with Texans QBs into a gain or (at worse) a thrown away incompeltion, I just wanted to throw up. That is *exactly* the kind of QB play the Texans desperately need but have never seemed to find.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #3
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 94266 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
In no particular order:
* Seattle's D dominated the Broncos O. It seems the Texans are weaker on D than O generally speaking. Is defense more important than offense in being a great team, if so may be a waste to use 1st pick on QB. Now did the Seattle D dominate because Peyton is a statue and is not able to extend play kind of like MS?

*I think you need "some" mobility in a QB. Someone who can create, extend the play, and then make the throw. The Qb may only extend and make 2-3 plays a game but those plays could easily be the difference between a W or L.

*As an organization/GM understand that you really don't know what you have in a player until you have them on your team. (Or at least you hope your coaching staff can evaluate the player without prejudice.) Your job is to get the best players on the team that gives you a chance to win. Don't be afraid to have player turnover. Don't let your ego on insecurity determine who plays or is even on the team. Open your eyes and evaluate your players honestly. Keep your personal relationship with them out of the evaluation. Football is not all physical skills, a players heart may be more important. The Seahawks turned over players more than any other team in the NFL. Don't know where Texans ranked. High draft choices don't guarantee success.

*The above may lead to the idea that if your are able to get multiple picks for the first draft pick you may want to get more picks because you really don't know what you may get especially in a QB and maybe a good D trumps (more important) a good QB.

*Experience is way over rated. You don't need a wise old broken down veteran to pass on his knowledge. I think good coaching should do this. If you feel you need to bring someone in like this you need new coaches. Experience is important but you still must have the physical ability to make the plays.

*Brown seems to lean towards statue type QB. I really don't know this but just my concern.
*I think the Texans over rate their defense. How did the Texans perform against Peyton vs how the Seahawks performed.
*Brown is a huge unknown. Inherited a 9-4 team and led them to 8-4 and 7-5. I know all about the situation.
Of course you need experience, don't be silly. Those coaches are all "Broken Down" old guys who once played too you know.

This game had nothing to do with Russel Wilson's ability to extend plays. It was a cluster f*ck from the first snap, and the Broncos just kept sliding into the abyss from then on.

The Seahawks D, and the Broncos offense not showing up is what happened, I don't think you can draw any more conclusions than that.

Just for the record. Matt Schaub was shredding that Seahawks D when the Texans played them. Made them look awful. In that game however it WAS Wilson's ability to make plays with his legs that changed the outcome of that game, or rather, our D's inability to contain Wilson and being undisciplined in their pass rushing. Then the inability of Phillips to make adjustments to what Wilson was doing.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #4
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90752 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

We have to upgrade our secondary if you want a defense anywhere near what Seattle does. They're finding All-Pro corners in the fifth round and we're getting a serviceable corner in the first and paying out the butt for another corner who's also only serviceable and using a second on a back-up nickel. They have safeties that are leagues better than anything we've ever seen and we have Bernard Pollard 2.0 who we blew a second on, and spent a king's ransom on a dinosaur-aged hobo who was a cancer in the locker room.

What I took away from the game was not that we don't need a QB or that he can't be a pocket passer. I also didn't take away the fact that freaking Matt Schaub is good because he had a good half of football against them and forgot that he threw a pick-6 to them. We still need a QB and we need a friggin GM who can actually draft and not piss away picks on garbage players like Swearinger, Brooks Reed, Brandon Harris, and all the other crap we see at LB and in the secondary.

TL/DR: Rick Smith sucks.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #5
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131856 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I get all my opinions from twitter!

Defense wins championships!
Draft Clowney!
Get a QB n the 3rd! Worked for Seattle.
reserve Super Bowl tickets now!
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #6
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

My takeaway, don't underestimate the importance of your center...

Omaha, Oh-ma-haaaa!
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #7
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131856 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-03-2014   #8
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 28464 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Plain and simple, the GM is the reason for that superbowl. Finding talent in the later rounds with guys who played with heart and passion is what won this for them. Sure they will have a hard time retaining them all when they are due their pay day but I have to hand it to the GM for finding this sort of talent at a low cost and going all the way.
Old 02-03-2014   #9
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12794 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
This game had nothing to do with Russel Wilson's ability to extend plays. It was a cluster f*ck from the first snap, and the Broncos just kept sliding into the abyss from then on.
To the extent you mean "it didn't change the outcome of the game," sure. Denver was outmanned and outgunned at pretty much every position. But there were plenty of plays where, with Schaub, Yates or Keenum at QB, we would have seen a sack or an interception under pressure, even as Wilson bought time with his legs and eventually made good decision after good decision during the game. It *does* make a big difference in an otherwise relatively close game.

The game may have been a train wreck and Seattle would have still won with a less-than-average performance by Wilson, given their defense and Denver's self-destruction, but it is still something the Texans badly need and turns highly negative plays into good ones, or at least less bad ones (throwing it away incomplete).

Still, Manning, on the other hand, rarely had time. He made bad decisions forced by the pressure and I don't think I've ever seen him check down that much.
Old 02-03-2014   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 132411 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
We have to upgrade our secondary if you want a defense anywhere near what Seattle does. They're finding All-Pro corners in the fifth round and we're getting a serviceable corner in the first and paying out the butt for another corner who's also only serviceable and using a second on a back-up nickel. They have safeties that are leagues better than anything we've ever seen and we have Bernard Pollard 2.0 who we blew a second on, and spent a king's ransom on a dinosaur-aged hobo who was a cancer in the locker room.

What I took away from the game was not that we don't need a QB. I also didn't take away the fact that freaking Matt Schaub is good because he had a good half of football against them and forgot that he threw a pick-6 to them. We still need a QB and we need a friggin GM who can actually draft and not piss away picks on garbage players like Swearinger, Brooks Reed, Brandon Harris, and all the other crap we see at LB and in the secondary.

TL/DR: Rick Smith sucks.
I definitely agree that their secondary's just sick. I don't think I've ever seen such a great combination come together like they've had. Granted, they get away with a boatload of holding, but they're dang good.

I'm not sold on Smith either, but with that said, the previous coaching staff was rumored to have had too much of an influence on the draft. Or at least that might be what he's selling to McNair. To me, he's merely a yes man.

Don't give up on Swearinger yet. I was one of his biggest critics, but he's young and talented. Hopefully he'll become more than just a box safety
Old 02-03-2014   #11
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90752 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Don't give up on Swearinger yet. I was one of his biggest critics, but he's young and talented. Hopefully he'll become more than just a box safety
Yeah I should but he really looked like complete crap at the end of the season and also showed that he's emotionally immature and prone to stupid penalties. I do hope he improves beyond a box safety as well. Time will tell.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 161936 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Select quality cuts of meat, season properly, apply correct heat, add condiments of your choice and watch your guests enjoy your efforts. Of course there will always be a vegan at the table.
Old 02-03-2014   #13
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29607 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
In no particular order:

*Brown is a huge unknown. Inherited a 9-4 team and led them to 8-4 and 7-5. I know all about the situation
I'm confused. Who is Brown? And what situation do you know about that you are referring to? I'm lost.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #14
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Hmmmmm... Thread title claims it's about the Texans, but the OP doesn't know the name of the current Texans Headcoach...
Old 02-03-2014   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 361879 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Yeah I should but he really looked like complete crap at the end of the season and also showed that he's emotionally immature and prone to stupid penalties. I do hope he improves beyond a box safety as well. Time will tell.
Well if you had been watching Chancellor's rookie season you would have seen jack because he barely made the field except on ST.

Let's remember Chancellor is in his 4th year.
Old 02-03-2014   #16
Mr. Texan
I'm A Texan

Rep Power: 15724 Mr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

the seahawks defense held the "greatest offense of all time" to 8 points while scoring 9 from a safety and a pick 6.

meanwhile our defense gives up 6 passing touchdowns and back-to-back 40 point games to elite qb's.

if our defense and special teams was that good we wouldn't even need talk about schaub.

so much for the theory that you need to win a shootout to beat these elite qb's in this new era.

so much for the thoery that you need an "elite" qb to win a super bowl in this new era.

hope bill o'brien can draft well and bring in some great defensive players with ATHLETICISM and pick up a qb in the later rounds.

not to mention bring a little swagger to this team. that's the main thing i'm jealous of the seahawks.

call em cocky, call em arrogant, call em douche bags. whatever. but i'd take that mentality over the country club culture kubiak had when he was here.
Mr. Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #17
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 59405 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
I'm confused. Who is Brown? And what situation do you know about that you are referring to? I'm lost.
Exactly what I took away from his post
Old 02-03-2014   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 361879 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Texan View Post
if our defense and special teams was that good we wouldn't even need talk about schaub.

so much for the theory that you need to win a shootout to beat these elite qb's in this new era.

so much for the thoery that you need an "elite" qb to win a super bowl in this new era.
All you are doing is swapping one "need an elite" for a different "need an elite."
Old 02-03-2014   #19
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Texan View Post
not to mention bring a little swagger to this team. that's the main thing i'm jealous of the seahawks.

call em cocky, call em arrogant, call em douche bags. whatever. but i'd take that mentality over the country club culture kubiak had when he was here.
To some degree, yes, but IMO it can be overdone. If "my team" became too cocky, too arrogant, too trash-talking, had too much swagger, it would become a lot harder for me to root for them.
Old 02-03-2014   #20
Mr. Texan
I'm A Texan

Rep Power: 15724 Mr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
All you are doing is swapping one "need an elite" for a different "need an elite."
i've always felt it's "easier" to build an elite defense than find an elite qb.

a defense can be built with time. qb's are just a complete lottery crapshoot.
Mr. Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read