Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

"Nascar": Bill O'Brien's no huddle offense

MistaRed

Rookie
"You get into a certain rhythm," O'Brien said. "Any coach that runs that type of up-tempo offense will tell you that first down is really important. If you get positive yards, then with your second-and-medium or second-and-short call you can call whatever you want. That's a play-caller's dream. You're in a play-calling rhythm
."

Article from October 2012 on the No huddle offense O'Brien implemented at Penn State. Not much in the form of X's and O's but just thought I'd post anyway.

http://articles.philly.com/2012-10-26/sports/34731020_1_offense-fuels-offensive-coordinator-nascar

The NASCAR has given fifth-year senior quarterback Matt McGloin another opportunity to display his knowledge of O'Brien's offense by giving him a lot of responsibility in calling the play, setting up the pass protection, positioning his receivers, calling an audible if necessary, and executing the play.

The NASCAR doesn't necessarily gobble up big chunks of yardage; the Penn State offense as a whole is averaging 4.9 yards per play in Big Ten games, ranking it seventh of the 12 teams. But it keeps the defense from substituting and gets the offense into a quick tempo.

Do these two quotes not just scream Bridgewater. FWIW

Old Pine Box Tommy ran his form of the "Nascar" at Texas Tech. I know it's just another way of saying "hurry up" but the word still makes me cringe.

Old Pine Box Tommy ran his form of the "Nascar" at Texas Tech. I know it's just another way of saying "hurry up" but the word still makes me cringe.

It's more than just another way of saying "hurry up"

It's one less syllable so that makes it quicker to say. It's even more hurry up than the hurry up. See, there's no limit to the number of ways OB is going to speed up the Texans offense.

It's one less syllable so that makes it quicker to say. It's even more hurry up than the hurry up. See, there's no limit to the number of ways OB is going to speed up the Texans offense.

Lol, makes sense Herv. At least it can't be any worse than the "Sugar Huddle".

Do these two quotes not just scream Bridgewater. FWIW

I'll tell you what they don't scream:

d7vWN.gif

/\ Ok, that made me laugh. Good timing.

NASCAR offense, huh? Doesn't matter if it's NASCAR, no huddle, hurry up, sugar huddle, or dink n dunk... as long as it gets down the field resulting in TD's and wins.

Maybe a "No honey, sugar can't huddle with dink'n NASCAR" offense.

lol at the timing of that Schaub gif :heh: Reading about hurry up/"NASCAR" offenses and then seeing that gif of poor Matt made me laugh this morning.

O'Brien is an offensive genius. Don't be surprised if he is able to further refine this down to one syllable, or even *gasp!* a single letter. Yeah, I know it sounds preposterous, but nobody ever believed that a man would land on the sun, until the North Koreans proved them wrong.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4d4_1390845826

The speed or tempo of the no huddle offense has never been as appealing to me as the ability to keep the defense from subbing players.

Without being able to adjust their personnel, you have the ability on offense to mercilessly attack the weakness in that personnel group, whatever it may be.

Texans’ Fitzpatrick, Savage hint at complexity of O’Brien’s offense
“It’s definitely a complex system,” said Fitzpatrick, following the second day of OTAs at NRG Stadium. “There’s just a lot of demands. Not only on the quarterback but everybody. You’ve got to be a smart player to play in this offense. I think everybody’s on board, just because of the history of the offense and past success. When this things clicking, the great things that we’ve seen they do.”

What makes O’Brien’s offense different?

“It’s hard to rely on other guys,” Fitzpatrick said. “You’ve got to be able to be the one to make all the calls, whether you’re a guard or a tackle or the center. Running backs have a lot of responsibility. The receivers have a lot going on, in terms of formations and motions.”

So let's see, which position group's responsibilities and complexities have increased: QB, WR/TE, RB, T, G, C. :truck:

We'll be seeing guys getting cut because of difficulty assimilating the offense, or doing so at game speed who otherwise might be successful in the NFL. Processing & decision-making at a premium, now.

Texans’ Fitzpatrick, Savage hint at complexity of O’Brien’s offense

So let's see, which position group's responsibilities and complexities have increased: QB, WR/TE, RB, T, G, C. :truck:

We'll be seeing guys getting cut because of difficulty assimilating the offense, or doing so at game speed who otherwise might be successful in the NFL. Processing & decision-making at a premium, now.

And AJ is there for none of this, he is going to be so behind when he comes back. Why in the hell is he doing this anyways it makes no sense. He is only hurting the team with this childish BS.

And AJ is there for none of this, he is going to be so behind when he comes back. Why in the hell is he doing this anyways it makes no sense. He is only hurting the team with this childish BS.
A whole lot less worried about AJ "catching up" vs. worrying about the other young WR picking the system up first.

The "childish BS" is honestly one of the only ways players can show their displeasure. We've been spoiled in Houston by a severe drought of holdouts. With most other teams, a guy missing OTAs is a *yawn* inducing affair.

Last edited:
Well said, totally agree with your comments here.
One of the reasons we've always liked and respected AJ so much beyond his abilities was that he was the unselfish super star who was an anti-diva, the non prima donna among the selfish, self centered WRs in the NFL. His behavior lately is rapidly depleting all of that good will that he's established with the fan base over the years. I know it is with me.

I find these kind of opinions childish. Wha wha he's hurting my team sob sob. This isn't entertainment to him it's his career. The "he wants more money" crowd is silly to. He has never once said he wants more money. I don't see what's so complicated here. He has two maybe three more productive ( by his standard) years remaining and he's not sure he wants to go out on a rebuilding team. He's worked his ass off for twelve years for this franchise and now he's seeing the end of the road and human nature is taking over. He is a great competitor and wants to win. And don't respond with that he's under contract crap. ( not you in particular Ellis) He has every right to do what he is doing just like the texans have the right to void his contract if they see fit.

If I were AJ, I'd be very unhappy with this organization as well. When you are a superstar nearing the end of your career, you don't want to just waste your last few years helping a team start over. He's already helped this team go from the very beginning to 12-4 and 2 playoff wins, only to see it's QB fall apart and go away. He's not thinking about money; he's thinking about the Hall of Fame and Superbowl ring(s).

At this point, I'd be up for a trade, if we can get something worth it. If he wants a trade, he's earned it. He's earned whatever he wants and however he wants to deal with the situation.

His behavior lately is rapidly depleting all of that good will that he's established with the fan base over the years. I know it is with me.

What behavior? Answering questions he's asked and missing voluntary workouts?

People are making way to big a deal out of this right now.

The workouts right now aren't voluntary.

Right now, he is absolutely hurting this team.

Great respect for what he has done as an athlete, but not much respect for him as a man right now.

A whole lot less worried about AJ "catching up" vs. worrying about the other young WR picking the system up first.

The "childish BS" is honestly one of the only ways players can show their displeasure. We've been spolied in Houston by a severe drought of holdouts. With most other teams, a guy missing OTAs is a *yawn* inducing affair.

yes but he is not demanding a trade, new contract or to be cut he has no demands so holding out is really useless it makes no sense.

Great respect for what he has done as an athlete, but not much respect for him as a man right now.
Whether AJ is hurting the team or not, these OTA's are absolutely voluntary.

As they say, actions(behavior) speak louder than words, and his behavior in the form of his absence from the current work outs (which are voluntary in only the most technical sense, especially with a new regime running the Texans now), is speaking volumes.

I guess he can prolong his career by not being on the field if he doesn't know the NASCAR playbook. He can also lighten his wallet when he's fined for missing MANDATORY workouts. Until either/both of those happen we're just in a waiting pattern.

DocBar handled this pretty well.
How do you think he is hurting the team exactly?

As they say, actions(behavior) speak louder than words, and his behavior in the form of his absence from the current work outs (which are voluntary in only the most technical sense, especially with a new regime running the Texans now), is speaking volumes.

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that voluntary had multiple meanings. If they are voluntary "in only the most technical sense" then we'll see the coaches bench him, trade him, or whatever they see fit. Until then, I'll listen to what O'Brien is saying and assume that no one has any anger at AJ for missing these right now.

If by "aren't voluntary", you mean "are voluntary", you are correct. Keep up the good work.

Attendance at the Texans’ offseason workouts and 10 OTAs is not mandatory but is typically 100 percent. Last year, Texans coach Gary Kubiak allowed approximately 25 veterans, mostly starters, to rest during mini-camp.

LINK

Last edited:
If anything, AJ's absence allows the other WRs to get more reps. That's always a good thing.

Anyone who thinks AJ not being there is a good thing is a fool. He was a leader on this team, and someone to help the rookies and younger players by showing them how you prepare as a pro. How you perform as a pro. How to conduct yourself on and off the field as a pro. Now he is nothing more than yet another spoiled brat whining so they can have their way. Very disappointing, and yes because this is a new regime and now more than ever the leadership on this team needs to be there and learn, and teach, and help build ... it hurts the team.

Why do head coaches allow veterans to sit out of OTA's if it's never a good thing?

Do you think not having that extra wear and tear on his body could be a good thing at this point in AJ's career?

I'd be careful throwing the fool tag around, all things considered. :thinking:

Why do head coaches allow veterans to sit out of OTA's if it's never a good thing?

Do you think not having that extra wear and tear on his body could be a good thing at this point in AJ's career?

I'd be careful throwing the fool tag around, all things considered. :thinking:

He could at least be there to observe and learn the new offense.

Anyone who thinks AJ not being there is a good thing is a fool. He was a leader on this team, and someone to help the rookies and younger players by showing them how you prepare as a pro. How you perform as a pro. How to conduct yourself on and off the field as a pro. Now he is nothing more than yet another spoiled brat whining so they can have their way. Very disappointing, and yes because this is a new regime and now more than ever the leadership on this team needs to be there and learn, and teach, and help build ... it hurts the team.

You are clueless and your post are a waste of time. Welcome to my ignore list. Population 3. :voodoo:

How do you know he doesn't have the playbook and isn't studying it?

"Hey coach i'm so mad right now i dont even know if i want to be hear, on the other hand can you send me over a playbook for me to study"

Possible but highly unlikely, and it is more than just knowing the Xs and Os it is also about timing with a potential new QB. There is a lot more to playing football than simply the playbook.

"Hey coach i'm so mad right now i dont even know if i want to be hear, on the other hand can you send me over a playbook for me to study"

Possible but highly unlikely, and it is more than just knowing the Xs and Os it is also about timing with a potential new QB. There is a lot more to playing football than simply the playbook.
I would be shocked if he didn't have one. There are a whole lot of players on the team that have it and they won't be on the team when the season starts.

And it would probably be more like BO'B telling him to take his time, get his head right and oh, by the way, here's the playbook for you to study. See what you think of it.

I agree he can voice his opinion, but to not show up for your TEAM is childish. I understand and sympathize with him, but he signed that LARGE contract that will make him rich the next few seasons, but to whine publicly and not show up for workouts is foolish. He signed a contract that has us by the balls. We cannot cut or trade him without MAJOR ramifications against our cap. He is stuck here. Get to OTAs and get to work. Love ya bro, but its time to man up and finish what you started.

I hate my job, but I still show up every day to work for the man....welcome to life Dre.

I would be shocked if he didn't have one. There are a whole lot of players on the team that have it and they won't be on the team when the season starts.

And it would probably be more like BO'B telling him to take his time, get his head right and oh, by the way, here's the playbook for you to study. See what you think of it.

WELL i just got called for an interview tomorrow, the job pays MAJOR $$$$ so i am feeling quite giddy. Yeah you guys are probably right....

Hugs and rainbow Hershey kisses for everybody :heart:

Back