Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-30-2014   #1
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Khalil Mack, OLB/DE, Buffalo

Since so many other players have threads dedicated to them, I wanted to create one for Mack. If we do trade down I really hope that this is a guy we take a long hard look at.

One of the things that OB and Crennel have talked about is being multiple and flexible, Mack is all that in spades. He is a great athlete, relentless and a gifted rusher.

We need someone other than Watt in the front 7 for offenses to worry about and I think he has that same motor that Watt has.

Thoughts?

LINK to scouting report
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #2
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 13423 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Khalil Mack, OLB/DE, Buffalo

I'd love to get Mack if we trade down; great strength and hand usage, looks natural in coverage, good instincts, etc. He wasn't also just a big fish in a small pond, as he played up to his competition against Ohio State where he had a pick six and multiple sacks against a very athletic dual-threat QB in Braxton Miller.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #3
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

The more I watch him the higher he climbs on my board. #2 behind Clowney now. Great athlete, playmaking ability, and has scheme versatility.

He'll be a stud. For our defense, I might even take him before Clowney. He can play SAM in a 43, OLB in a 34, and can spin down to DE in a nickel.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014   #4
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

If we were to trade down and depending on how far down, I'd love to have Mack as a Texan.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014   #5
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

This guy has been the biggest gainer across many draft "experts" boards.

My question, why wasn't he rated this high after the season?
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014   #6
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
This guy has been the biggest gainer across many draft "experts" boards.

My question, why wasn't he rated this high after the season?
Buffalo
Old 01-31-2014   #7
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 13423 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Buffalo
Pretty much. He could be a big riser a lá Eric Fisher last year.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-31-2014   #8
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Hate to say I dont know squat about this kid. Can we draft him and call him Big Mac?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014   #9
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

this guy as soared up my figurative board. certainly is rated higher the barr who for me has fallen to the bottom of the top 10.
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Mack has been well known in draft circles for awhile, this strikes me more as the flavor of the week. He could have solidified his stock by competing in the Senior Bowl against better talent, but why risk that when media pushes him higher for doing nothing? Even mocked him to Texans mid season, when there still was hope, at least was trying to stay optimistic, looks pretty weakl now I'll admit but **** happens, now some people think he is a top 5 pick, possibly #1?
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
C'mon guys, y'all know Texans will win enough games with weak schedule going forward to finish outside top 10 picks looking in (13th). Still can enhance roster deficiency, linebacker corps while Case Keenum proves he has the "right stuff".

1st - Kahali Mack, Buffalo, OLB/ILB, 6026 248

Physical prototype with a combination of excellent size and overall athleticism for the position. Can bend the edge or slip though seams to make plays, plus in coverages, could fill inside linebacker role next to Brian Cushing. Natural instincts, NFL body, exceptional change of direction, quick feet & unstoppable motor really beefing up nicked up Texan LB corps. I see him becoming a special player in the league, fitting nicely into Texans needs & locker room.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014   #11
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

More goodness from Stephen White...

The Notebook: Khalil Mack is smooth, polished and ready to wreak havoc

His ceiling might not be as high as Jadeveon Clowney's, but Buffalo linebacker Khalil Mack is one of the most polished pass rushers in the 2014 NFL Draft. Retired NFL defensive end Stephen White put Mack under the microscope for his latest Notebook.
Quote:
For my second draft breakdown I decided to go with Khalil Mack, outside linebacker for the University at Buffalo. Buffalo runs a 3-4 so Mack is an edge pass rusher, but he also drops into coverage a fair bit.

I broke down Mack's play against Ohio State, Baylor, Stony Brook, UMass, Ohio University and San Diego State. Those represent the first, second and third games of the year, a couple of games in the middle of the season, and the bowl game at the end of the season, in order...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014   #12
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52329 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

If his motor is anywhere near Watt's and Cushing's, then we need look into getting him.

I don't want any more lazy ****s. And I don't want to waste a high pick on a lazy ****.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #13
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Agree or not, these are the types of opinions you pretty much ignore. Hoge is the equivalent of Craig James... headline seeker.

NFL on ESPN ‏@ESPNNFL
Quote:
"Khalil Mack is the best football player in this draft, by a MILE!" - Merril Hoge on NFL LIVE
Hoge said Mack was better than Clowney "by a hundred miles."
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #14
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Agree or not, these are the types of opinions you pretty much ignore. Hoge is the equivalent of Craig James... headline seeker.

NFL on ESPN ‏@ESPNNFL

Hoge said Mack was better than Clowney "by a hundred miles."
So are over or under?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #15
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 50351 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

I mocked him at 1-1. He's the most pro-ready defensive prospect and he doesn't have the Haynesworth bust potential of Clowney. LB is our biggest need after qb, why not take him when QB is so underwhelming at 1-1 this year? Garropolo fills the need in 2nd round...
Old 03-19-2014   #16
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd draft Khalil Mack and Kyle van noy.

_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #17
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Hoge has turned into one of these guys that just says ridiculous comments for the sake of it sometimes. Just said Mack is the best defensive player he's EVER seen going into the draft....... Mack is a good player, but really Merril? Ever? C'mon now I get it you like him, but geez he makes it hard to take him serious when he says stuff like this.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #18
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I do like this guys versatility and sounds like he could fit nicely into Crennel's defense, or anybodys for that matter since he would seem to be able to play OLB in the 4-3 or 3-4. It would also enable us to move Reed inside with Cushing and play Khalil on the outside along with Mercilus.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #19
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Mack could be everything these internet scouts say he is. But, he won't make as big an impact as a QB, a true pass rusher like Clowney, or even a franchise LT. Really good LBs without a true impact skill are not selected #1 overall. To me, it's silly to suggest taking a guy like Mack at 1-1. And that's not even taking into consideration his level of competition.

Had the Texans decided to work a deal with New England for Mallett, trading out of 1-1 would have made a lot of sense. At the 5th, 6th, or 7th spot, Mack may have made a lot of sense. But, the Texans still need a QB. And to pass over a QB for a LB, even a very good LB, doesn't add up.
Old 03-22-2014   #20
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Mack could be everything these internet scouts say he is. But, he won't make as big an impact as a QB, a true pass rusher like Clowney, or even a franchise LT.
I won't argue your point about QB, but there is an argument to be made that there isn't a franchise QB at #1. I don't necessarily agree with that, but our front office may see it that way.

We already have a franchise LT.

Many don't believe that Clowney is a great fit for Crennel's style of defense, and most agree that Mack is. Plus, Clowney has injury concerns and will be having surgery after the draft. Clowney may be the best 43 DE in this draft but he isn't regarded as the best 34 OLB, which is the position he would be playing.

Quote:
Really good LBs without a true impact skill are not selected #1 overall. To me, it's silly to suggest taking a guy like Mack at 1-1. And that's not even taking into consideration his level of competition.
Mack has a lot of impact skills. He's widely regarded as one of the elite talents in this draft. You can knock him for his level of competition but there was no drop off in his level of play against the good teams that he played.

Quote:
Had the Texans decided to work a deal with New England for Mallett, trading out of 1-1 would have made a lot of sense. At the 5th, 6th, or 7th spot, Mack may have made a lot of sense. But, the Texans still need a QB. And to pass over a QB for a LB, even a very good LB, doesn't add up.
I'm glad we didn't make a move for Mallett. I think it would have been a big time mistake.

I agree that this team needs a QB. But you don't force one at #1 just because you need one. How many times have we seen this play out and the guy busts? If there is a QB that you like at #1, you take him #1. If there isn't then you move on.

And it seems silly to me that Mack makes a lot of sense at #5, but isn't an option at #1. The days of crazy rookie salaries are over, so you don't have to worry about paying a LB insane money because you took him #1. Take the player that will add the biggest positive impact to your team, regardless of what position he plays.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read