Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-30-2014   #21
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88167 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Marshawn Lynch, what I think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
At that particular time Lynch had been involved in a hit-and-run while not being terrible on the Bills, he was a guy that was getting just over 1000 yards and about 7 or 8 TD's a season.

He has also received a DUI since being on the Seahawks so eh.
I don't care I just want the best FOOTBALL players on the team and could care less about their personal lives.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #22
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88167 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
Freedom of speech? Not even close, go take a look at the amendment again.
I agree with you. However that doesn't make what corps/businesses are doing right?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #23
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 132411 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

As much as I dislike a majority of the media, it's his obligation as an NFL player to cooperate with the media. Heck, I'd rather not have to see or listen to the dude talk, but it's the rules, and he knows it. Randy Moss had to do it. Marvin Harrison had to do it as well as many others, I'm sure. Get your ass up there, do your mandatory time and go away. Quit making a mockery of the system

Do I think they should modify the rules? You bet! I have a huge issue speaking to masses too. I know for a fact I'd try to avoid it like the plague. But, it's the rules

I think Lynch is a bad ass RB. He's old school to me and I dig that. But, like I said, ya gotta do what ya gotta do
Old 01-30-2014   #24
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 368131 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I don't care I just want the best FOOTBALL players on the team and could care less about their personal lives.
While I generally agree with you given the current NFL rules on drugs and alcohol NFL teams have to take those into consideration. As much as I think the NFL should take its nose out of things like smoking pot, being a player who may be suspended at any time for a year has to be factored in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I agree with you. However that doesn't make what corps/businesses are doing right?
The NFL is probably one of the worst examples around for this argument. The money is generated virtually entirely off the game and the "knights" "warriors" etc. who play it and the players are guaranteed a % of that income. So I see no problem with the NFL saying "look, we and you make all our money off of media attention so we have to be available to the media."

Having said that I think it is stupid for the NFL not to have some procedure for a player to privately say this goes beyond something I don't like doing because of X, please grant an exception.
Old 01-30-2014   #25
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105274 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Dude is from the streets and has that mentality. He looks uncomfortable, but i bet it's nothing related to actual fear of being in front of the camera...I think it's more related to him not knowing how to express himself well enough without using street venacular and/or cursing a ton....some people have that problem..

here is the only interview he's ever done and even in this he has a couple of slips of the tougue......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaJXI7669sQ
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #26
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
...here is the only interview he's ever done and even in this he has a couple of slips of the tougue......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaJXI7669sQ
And then when I finally did land in Buffalo, it was like... Oh, man.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #27
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Good point but I still personally think he is having a full on panic attack. He curses in almost all interviews but when he is in a comfortable setting his demeanor is totally different. Here is why I believe that.

From about the 40 second mark until 2:15 he is showing some pretty obvious signs of having a panic attack.

2:06-2:07 he sends a not verbal sign to Michael Robinson to "step in" followed by some words I can't make out.

3:56-3:59 Robinson assures him that he has his back meaning just stay calm, I'm right here

5:46-until the end of the video. Lynch is aggravated because he feels trapped in. If you are having a panic attack due to being around a large group of strangers what you want more than anything else is to remove yourself from the situation...that is why he is pissed.

Again this is just my personal opinion but you cannot tell me that the NFL has not picked up on this, I just think that they prefer the ratings...

One other thing, the Marshawn Deon interview has to be one of the best interviews I have seen. Props to Marshawn for giving all those Nike billboard one-liners, especially under the conditions.

Last edited by SW H-TOWN; 01-30-2014 at 10:54 AM. Reason: grammar
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-30-2014   #28
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17026 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

well one thing if lynch does not like talking to the cameras one good thing the more he does it the more uhh he gets used to it if he does have some shyness or anxiety facing your fears and doing it pretty much destroys the anxiety IMO
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #29
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 356170 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Forcing players to talk to the media is a bunch of bull****.
I agree completely. This is NFL marketing putting the hype machine in front of the actual game itself.

There are many players who feel comfortable with the media. Let them do the talking, because there are plenty of them who have plans to get into media after their football careers are over.

I don't buy into the obligation mentality. The NFL is a 10 billion dollar industry because of these athletes. It's a symbiotic relationship, for sure, but to me, don't make your product uncomfortable because a bunch of press that never covers the NFL now wants interviews. All this other media and marketing crap is just a freakin' circus.

These players owe us nothing beyond what they get paid to do on the field. Any other perspective is just being selfish and loses sight of what really should matter in the NFL - the games.
Old 01-30-2014   #30
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 368131 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I agree completely. This is NFL marketing putting the hype machine in front of the actual game itself.

These players owe us nothing beyond what they get paid to do on the field. Any other perspective is just being selfish and loses sight of what really should matter in the NFL - the games.
They don't even owe us the game. They do owe the commitment of their contracts to the league/team and this is one of them.

This is a subject where the marketing hype is integral. These players make money, a rare guaranteed %, generated by that marketing hype not just the game.

To repeat though - the NFL should have a means for players to get out of it due to special circumstances.
Old 01-30-2014   #31
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 356170 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I understand the contractual obligations, but c'mon, this is the Super Bowl. Our heads are going to explode if they continue to pump up the hype more than they already do now. I don't see Goodell up there being asked stupid, goofy questions, and he makes more per year than most of these players.

This should be about FOOTBALL, not the continuous digging of irrelevant minutia regarding every single, little aspect of each player.

It just seems like the hype is now becoming more important than he game itself. I'd rather go back to the times of a week between conference games and the Super Bowl.
Old 01-30-2014   #32
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

I am not saying all the NFL's marketing decisions are correct. I don't watch any of this stuff. Just saying the player's contract is tied to more than just the game and with the good comes the bad.

Ask the players to identify the top 3 off the field requirements they hate the most, maybe this will be one of them. Then ask them if they will trade the cap going down from $120 mil to $110 mil in exchange for getting rid of them.
Old 01-30-2014   #33
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99579 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

The guy obviously is uncomfortable talking to strangers and probably has some sort of anxiety disorder. The NFL was going to fine him for skipping interviews during the season, but at the last minute decided not to. I'm guessing they see something similar.

I find it preposterous that the PFWA is "appalled" at the lack of access to him. There's 100 other plays there to talk to, but they are taking a personal affront at his lack of access to them. They could care less if it was a lack of access to someone else, but because he won't talk to them it's personal. And they made it personal with their public response (outrage) at him not wanting to give interviews.

I'm appalled as well.....

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #34
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
The guy obviously is uncomfortable talking to strangers and probably has some sort of anxiety disorder. The NFL was going to fine him for skipping interviews during the season, but at the last minute decided not to. I'm guessing they see something similar.
I liked that the NFL basically told the reporters to F off, he had done what he needed to do.
Old 01-30-2014   #35
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99579 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I liked that the NFL basically told the reporters to F off, he had done what he needed to do.
I love how he handled it. They told him to show up, so he did. He talked for 2 minutes then sat in the corner with headphones on for the rest of the time. Could totally be the next 'beats by Dre' commercial.

However, the ego of the media will never be overcome. The Super Bowl game may be about the players, but Super Bowl week is about the media. They have made sure of that. And getting slighted by one player makes him an easy target for their wrath and injured pride. I mean, how dare that one player not talk to us! It's appalling!

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #36
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I love how he handled it. They told him to show up, so he did. He talked for 2 minutes then sat in the corner with headphones on for the rest of the time. Could totally be the next 'beats by Dre' commercial.

However, the ego of the media will never be overcome. The Super Bowl game may be about the players, but Super Bowl week is about the media. They have made sure of that. And getting slighted by one player makes him an easy target for their wrath and injured pride. I mean, how dare that one player not talk to us! It's appalling!
I agree. The media are acting like petulant children.
Old 01-30-2014   #37
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

If Lynch needs help with this issue then he should be contacting the Players Union. They have the power to negotiate these things on his and the other players behalf.
Old 02-01-2014   #38
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Marshawn Lynch wants to talk when

Quote:
Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch had been scheduled to show up as a guest on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.

But practice went too long on Friday for the Seahawks, and Lynch wasn’t able to make it.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-show-tonight/
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014   #39
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Quote:
The #Seahawks learned in the last few days that Marshawn Lynch would hold out for camp. And no, they still don’t plan on paying him.
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Quote:
Seahawks RB Marshawn Lynch, scheduled to make $5.5M this season, told former teammate @RealMikeRob he is holding out of training camp.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read