Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-01-2014   #21
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BL Post 2014 Senior Bowl Mock

Just some additional comments from national media outlets to add fuel to fire

Quote:
Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garoppolo has jumped squarely on the radar of every NFL executive with his solid play over the past two weeks. He killed at the East-West Shrine Game and continued to impress with his consistent play during practices this week. Garoppolo showed exceptional footwork making throws inside the pocket, while also displaying remarkable athleticism and body control tossing the ball on the move. In addition, Garoppolo has made quick, decisive reads with the ball, showing a compact delivery and quick release. Although Garoppolo's play won't vault him into consideration as a franchise quarterback, there are several teams that will view him as an intriguing developmental prospect with starting potential based on his strong showing in Mobile.
Quote:
Colorado State TE Crockett Gillmore was a late addition to the Senior Bowl roster, but he certainly boosted his draft stock with his standout performance on Saturday. The Rams' star had five catches for 61 yards and a score, displaying strong hands and underrated route skills. He complemented his impressive performance as a pass catcher with a strong showing as a blocker on the edge. He repeatedly sealed the corner on perimeter runs and effectively neutralized his assigned defender on power plays between the tackles. Of course, scouts expected Gillmore to be a stout blocker at the point of attack based on his solid performance during the regular season, but doing it against the top players in the country will enhance his value in the minds of coaches searching for a traditional tight end in the draft.
Quote:
Princeton DT Caraun Reid had a solid overall week of practice, but his standout performance in the Senior Bowl will earn him a hard look from scouts looking for an interior defender with quickness and rush skills. The 6-foot-2, 270-pound defender racked up a pair of sacks on back-to-back plays that showcased his speed, burst and hand skills. Reid defeated Baylor's Cyril Richardson using a quick arm over at the line of scrimmage to notch a sack. He followed it with a butt-and-jerk maneuver on the subsequent play that showcased his sneaky strength and power on the inside. As more teams utilize quick interior defenders on nickel and sub packages, Reid could be viewed as an enticing option based on his solid play in the game.
Not mentioned in this article was Jimmie Ward, easily had the better week but lacks the size these two possess as mentioned in ealier post about McGill.

Quote:
Nebraska CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste and Utah CB Keith McGill entered the week viewed as two of the most intriguing cornerback prospects in the draft based on their physically imposing frames. The duo didn't disappoint scouts in attendance with their play, as each showed better than anticipated cover skills and awareness in the Senior Bowl. Jean-Baptiste made a few plays on the ball utilizing "off" technique, which is surprising considering his size suggests he would be better served to play press coverage at the line of scrimmage. McGill also displayed solid cover skills on the perimeter. He quickly exploded out of his pedal to record a knockdown in the third quarter, showcasing his short area burst and anticipation. McGill later added a game-clinching interception in the fourth quarter to seal the deal. With Jean-Baptiste and McGill flashing adequate cover skills in space, teams looking for big, athletic corners with movement skills will take a long, hard look at the duo leading up to the draft.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014   #22
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Quote:
Garoppolo showed exceptional footwork making throws inside the pocket, while also displaying remarkable athleticism and body control tossing the ball on the move. In addition, Garoppolo has made quick, decisive reads with the ball, showing a compact delivery and quick release. Although Garoppolo's play won't vault him into consideration as a franchise quarterback, there are several teams that will view him as an intriguing developmental prospect with starting potential based on his strong showing in Mobile.

I agree with the "developmental" prospect. But unless you feel strongly that Josh Freeman can help us win, I don't see the point in taking a developmental prospect.

You want to give Keenum one last shot? Think we can get Mallet with out giving up draft picks?

Or have you given up on the idea of winning in 2014?
Old 02-01-2014   #23
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I agree with the "developmental" prospect. But unless you feel strongly that Josh Freeman can help us win, I don't see the point in taking a developmental prospect.

You want to give Keenum one last shot? Think we can get Mallet with out giving up draft picks?

Entirely O'Brian's call. But yes, I feel that he could make a Case for Keenum to succeed or TJ, who gets no love around here while being smart and drafting franchise QB to develop, tailor made for his system. Seems like reasonable speculation, with a much & I mean much better defense they could easily have a winning record in 2014. Of course I'm a big fan of Bridgewater too, so if they develop him on the run & just tweak the defense I could certainly live with that, but Texans need to add a premium pass rusher to compliment Watt, plus improve secondary by replacing nickle. See work with wolverinefan mock draft taking Bridgewater in first Van Noy in 2nd.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014   #24
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Any QB you're getting past the 2nd round should be looked at as a developmental prospect. I don't think any of them will be starting right away.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014   #25
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Entirely O'Brian's call. But yes, I feel that he could make a Case for Keenum to succeed or TJ, who gets no love around here while being smart and drafting franchise QB to develop, tailor made for his system. Seems like reasonable speculation, with a much & I mean much better defense they could easily have a winning record in 2014. Of course I'm a big fan of Bridgewater too, so if they develop him on the run & just tweak the defense I could certainly live with that, but Texans need to add a premium pass rusher to compliment Watt, plus improve secondary by replacing nickle. See work with wolverinefan mock draft taking Bridgewater in first Van Noy in 2nd.
\

Agreed

Any QB drafted will be a developmental QB. I wouldn't count on the Texans getting into the playoffs next yr if O'Brien goes this way.

If you want them to make the playoffs trading for Mallett or signing Cassell would be the best bet, since they already know the offense.

My question is, Do people who want a QB at 1-1 have a love affair with TB/JM and if so do they think the Texans are a really talent team that was just needing a QB to become a SB contender again?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014   #26
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
\

Agreed

Any QB drafted will be a developmental QB. I wouldn't count on the Texans getting into the playoffs next yr if O'Brien goes this way.

If you want them to make the playoffs trading for Mallett or signing Cassell would be the best bet, since they already know the offense.

My question is, Do people who want a QB at 1-1 have a love affair with TB/JM and if so do they think the Texans are a really talent team that was just needing a QB to become a SB contender again?
I think Bridgewater has a real shot at being a franchise QB. If we draft him we make take our lumps for a year or two but he will put us in position to be a long term SB-caliber contender.

We aren't going to find a franchise QB through FA or a trade. In this day and age, nobody is letting one go. You have to find your own. With that said, a guy like Mallett or Cassell will, at best, put us right where the Chiefs are. Good enough to make some noise, but not a championship threat.

If I didn't think Bridgewater was a franchise QB, I think I would be more open to settling. But of all the options out there, I think he has the greatest odds of becoming a franchise QB.

I'd rather suck for another year and build up a long term winner than go 8-8 or 9-7 for the next five years.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014   #27
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
We aren't going to find a franchise QB through FA or a trade. In this day and age, nobody is letting one go. You have to find your own. With that said, a guy like Mallett or Cassell will, at best, put us right where the Chiefs are. Good enough to make some noise, but not a championship threat.
Recently that has certainly been the case. Playoff teams:

2013: 2 FA (Brees, Manning), 1 trade (Smith)
2012: 1 FA (Manning), 1 trade (Schaub)
2011: 1 FA (Brees), 1 trade (Schaub)

So 2 FAs, both with exceptional circumstances for being free agents and injury concerns and Schaub who I many would say goes into the not good enough except for noise category.
Old 02-01-2014   #28
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I'm not in love with TB/JM, I don't want the Texans to draft either at 1-1. In a strong draft I don't think either should go in the top 10. I'm still working through non-QB 1st rounders, so I can't say how strong this draft is just yet.

But right now, I don't see either as 1-1 type QBs on their own.

That said, I definitely believe had Schaub not gone loopy on us we'd have been a strong contender in 2013's play-offs.

But I believe all teams have "holes" Kaepernick, Manning, Wilson, & Brady overcame theirs, a better QB would help us overcome ours.
Old 02-01-2014   #29
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I think Bridgewater has a real shot at being a franchise QB. If we draft him we make take our lumps for a year or two but he will put us in position to be a long term SB-caliber contender.

If I didn't think Bridgewater was a franchise QB, I think I would be more open to settling. But of all the options out there, I think he has the greatest odds of becoming a franchise QB.

I'd rather suck for another year and build up a long term winner than go 8-8 or 9-7 for the next five years.
Your reasoning is sound, I don't have a problem with that. I just don't feel the same way. If OB thinks like you do & we take him, or Manziel/Bortles 1-1, I'll get behind it like I've always done.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read