Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-10-2014   #221
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Matt Schaub gives Texans best chance to win in 2014" -Marshall Faulk

Old 02-10-2014   #222
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Matt Schaub gives Texans best chance to win in 2014" -Marshall Faulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
The preponderance of the evidence appears strong to conclusive. Schaub starts strong and then fades as the season progresses. It matches my personal observations. The falloff is coincidentally associated with the breakdown of team mates to injury which might magnify the problem and offer alternative explanations of his falloff. But I see nothing to contradict the observation.

It might not be enough to convict in a criminal court, but it is certainly enough in a Civil action.

I wonder if he was insured against injury when they made the big Contract like Bagwell was?
Insurance wont cover the injury because Schaub is still able to play.

Just like if you were a prospective high 1st rd pick, (Lattimore) and fell in the draft due to injury insurance doesn't cover the difference between where you would've been drafted vs where you were drafted. (6th rd) Clowney was on the field that day Lattimore tore his knee up and saw the consequences of this. This is why Clowney played last yr with his main priority being to not get injured. It's not the ideal team 1st thingy. But I cant say that I blame Clowney. There were millions of $$$$ on the line. It's also why Clowney is still #1 on my board (if I had a board LOL) despite of his down yr last season.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #223
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 298525 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Cut his azzzzz....... I'm anything but a Schaub lover, or I'm with everyone thinking we should have at least drafted his replacement three years ago... well, I thought Tj was that replacement... or hoped he was.

I thought as a starting QB he was easily worth a $10M cap hit. But that seems so long ago. No way I'd take a $14M cap hit for him now.

I don't hate him so much that I'd suffer $10M in dead money in a single season for him, but there are ways around that.
Old 02-10-2014   #224
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
No, I'm not confusing anything. Yes I was expecting the degenerative effects CnD spoke of. I looked for them. Didn't see them.

I don't think he lost any zip in his throws. There wasn't a lot to begin with & what we've seen since does not look markedly off.
His arm strength (which was always overblown as an issue) is not lost per se. But you can see the effects in play selection and in the now reduced % of time when he does throw longer in the very deliberate (and slower) way he goes about throwing the ball.

Also, look at the push off, particularly the heel. The overall motion is the same (with the heel lower) but it is not as forceful.

As for the duck comment - do you seriously deny you are an outlier on this issue?
Old 02-10-2014   #225
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 298525 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
As for the duck comment - do you seriously deny you are an outlier on this issue?
It was the pig suit comment.

I'm very sensitive about my weight.
Old 02-10-2014   #226
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Wow..... that guy made Winston & Wade look good.

Quote:
Some of those, I don't think it would have made a difference how hard he threw the ball. Like the pick six against Tennessee. He & Hopkins were obviously on different pages.

& if we're saying he was already affected this early in the season, how do you explain the comback against San Diego (mostly if not all Schaub), the comeback against Tennessee (a lot of Schaub again, extending plays, buying time), & the whuppin he put on Seattle to start that game?

Bottom line, let's just agree to disagree on the why. We both agree he sucked in 2013 & neither of us are interested in trying to fix him from this point forward.
Old 02-10-2014   #227
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Some of those, I don't think it would have made a difference how hard he threw the ball.
It's important to read so you can understand and be responsive. I didn't post those about how hard he was throwing the ball or blaming him for the results. I said look at his push-off.

Anyway, you aren't going to see anything because you don't want to so carry on.
Old 02-10-2014   #228
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 102617 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
It will never heal.

It's a degenerative condition.
Life is a degenerative condition. Surgically repaired or not, all of our muscles and joints break down over time. Especially if you are an athlete. Schaub's drop off in performance is not because of his injury. I have to agree with TK again when he says there is no evidence of his foot causing any problems. No limps, no problems transferring his weight, no hitch in his giddy up so to speak. You would see him favoring the foot in several ways if it were bothering him. Most of his mistakes in 2013 were mental, not physical IMO.

In my mind it is all just excuses from people who have wanted to see Schaub gone for years. Saying he is damaged goods is just a smoke screen. There is no visual evidence of it, nobody discussing it, Except here. Many of those same people said Kubiak was finished, that the NFL had passed him by, and nobody would ever hire him again. We all see how that turned out.

Marshall Faulk has made no secret of the way he feels about Schaub, and it is not in a positive way. Faulk has time and time again run him down on NFLN, and when he made the comments that caused me to start this thread, you could see that he still has no love for the man. He is just saying another year with Schaub, in his opinion is the fastest way to turn things around.

I look forward to Schaub moving on and playing well in another city. It's disappointing to see him go as he and his wife are class acts and have done a lot for the city of Houston outside of football.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #229
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 95025 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That system sure was beautiful to watch when successfully executed.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #230
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
In my mind it is all just excuses from people who have wanted to see Schaub gone for years. Saying he is damaged goods is just a smoke screen.
And here is the kind of place you go off the rails. Look back at my track record on Schaub. The only thing I have ever been accused of on him is being too pro-Schaub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
That system sure was beautiful to watch when successfully executed.
Yes it was. That's why I hate people saying Schaub never could do it and the system never was that good, etc.
Old 02-10-2014   #231
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 378037 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Has anyone mentioned Schaub's injury outside of Texanstalk.com?

I listen to 610 & 790 quite a bit & have never heard it come up... at all.
It has been a subject on Marc Vandermeer's show, and he's the official voice of the Texans.

Teddy Johnson talked about it in pre-season 2013.

I know N.D. Kalu and Greg Koche have discussed it with callers this season.

And Charlie Palilo and LZ have talked about various aspects of Schaub's decline and potential causes (including degenerative injuries).

So, there are some conversations on Houston's airwaves that have mentioned it where I have heard them talk about it, fwiw.

BTW, all of the above are very familiar with the Houston Texans and there is pretty much a consensus that Schaub will be cut in off season 2014.
Old 02-10-2014   #232
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post

In my mind it is all just excuses from people who have wanted to see Schaub gone for years. Saying he is damaged goods is just a smoke screen.
I've never been a hater (of Schaub) I've rooted for him like I've rooted for all Texans. But... I lost it this year.

I did not secretly deep down want to see him gone, I did believe we should have been more aggressive looking for a replacement years ago.

So I imagine there were more people like me. Hoping that he would regain his old form (for me it was 2009, other people just wanted to see him get back to pre-injury status)..... but I think we all got tired of waiting.

Like I said earlier, I don't care what the reason is, I'm ready to move on.

There's a pretty piss-poor FA QB class coming up (unless Cassell & Bradford join in, then it's just poor) & Schaub may very well be the best veteran QB on the market. I'd hate to cut him & have to spend the measly $4M in savings on his replacement.

I'd much rather cut his salary to $3M & realize a $7M savings in 2014, $14M savings in 2015, & $16M savings in 2016. It would give him one last shot to save his career in Houston (which I don't care to do, but like I said considering the options.... eh!!).... but we'd better draft a QB in the first three rounds (I have been pretty consistent on that, even before we knew we had the #1 overall pick).
Old 02-10-2014   #233
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I know N.D. Kalu and Greg Koche have discussed it with callers this season.
I've got the memory of an 80 year old Alzheimer's victim. But I listen to Koche & Kalu religiously. I've heard them reply to a caller once, but they both dismissed it pretty quickly. Saying if it was an issue, we'd know about it.

Because it would be a big issue, especially with the pressure there was to start someone (anyone) else.

Other than that, I've been surprised about how many callers didn't bring it up.
Old 02-10-2014   #234
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've got the memory of an 80 year old Alzheimer's victim. But I listen to Koche & Kalu religiously. I've heard them reply to a caller once, but they both dismissed it pretty quickly. Saying if it was an issue, we'd know about it.

Because it would be a big issue, especially with the pressure there was to start someone (anyone) else.

Other than that, I've been surprised about how many callers didn't bring it up.
Ted Johnson has mentioned the foot injury quite a bit within the past several months. *Side note: the only shows I listen to on 610 are the two with Seth Payne and Teddy J.

On the bolded. I've noticed throughout my years of listen to sports talk that most of these cats that call in are either football ignorant or knee-jerks. I never listen to post game shows for this reason. I've only lived in Htown, so I'm not certain what these shows are like elsewhere.
Old 02-10-2014   #235
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 378037 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Ted Johnson has mentioned the foot injury quite a bit within the past several months. *Side note: the only shows I listen to on 610 are the two with Seth Payne and Teddy J.

On the bolded. I've noticed throughout my years of listen to sports talk that most of these cats that call in are either football ignorant or knee-jerks. I never listen to post game shows for this reason. I've only lived in Htown, so I'm not certain what these shows are like elsewhere.
yep. Teddy Johnson is the first one I thought of, because he was predicting a bad season for the Texans and Schaub in August. He took a lot of heat from the homers for his takes, but he just tells it like he sees it, and from a former pro football player with his experiences, you won't get that intimate perspective from many radio hosts.

And agree completely about Houston callers being reactionary and knee jerkers. I rarely hear someone that calls in with fresh takes and offers insight. I thought I heard one once, but turned out it was Texans Chick doing a call in interview, so she doesn't count.
Old 02-10-2014   #236
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And here is the kind of place you go off the rails. Look back at my track record on Schaub. The only thing I have ever been accused of on him is being too pro-Schaub.

Yes it was. That's why I hate people saying Schaub never could do it and the system never was that good, etc.
I used to be pro Schaub. Until after he got hurt and I could see his play deteriorate before my eyes. Then I read what C-N-D's opinion of where Schaub was and where he was going physically and knew it was time to move on from Schaub. We had many disagreements on this subject.

Schaub back in the 2009 season was playing at an elite level and was close to that level in 2011. IMHO He was the guy I thought could lead the team to a SB. I was a huge Schaub guy.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014   #237
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 102617 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Quote:

I was not directing those comments at you anyway. I think you have been level headed on all of you posts, including the Schaub stuff so sorry if you felt like I was lumping you in with the ABS crowd.

I started this thread in hopes it would be filled with some tangible stuff, but the only real effort put into it was from Brisco_County who posted a really well laid out argument with diagrams and all, and while I may have dismissed it, or even mocked it a bit (Sorry Bro), I still appreciated the thought and effort he put into it, and it was at least original, based on his own experiences.

The rest of the ABS crowd just keep parroting the same tired speculation over and over, as if that somehow validates what they are posting. It doesn't. I honestly believe if there was a problem with the foot we would be hearing about it endlessly from other sources not just this MB. No offense doc, I am sure you are a very honest and knowledgeable medical resource, but you did not perform the surgery on MS, or have never even examined him, so while I appreciate your wisdom in that arena, it's still only speculation.

This thread is not a call to keep Schaub. It is a thread that asks the question. Could Marshal Faulk be right, and is it possible the new HC could take that route, if not, why? But sadly it turned into the same old Us vs Them crap this and other boards are famous for.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014   #238
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 128861 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

edit: nevermind

Last edited by Scooter; 02-11-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014   #239
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There's a pretty piss-poor FA QB class coming up (unless Cassell & Bradford join in, then it's just poor) & Schaub may very well be the best veteran QB on the market. I'd hate to cut him & have to spend the measly $4M in savings on his replacement.
TK is right about one thing; IF they want to bring in a F/A vet, this is what we have to chose from...
Quote:
Derek Anderson CAR
Jimmy Clausen CAR
Josh McCown CHI
Jordan Palmer CHI
Jon Kitna DAL
Shaun Hill DET
Matt Flynn GB
Seneca Wallace GB
Chad Henne JAC
Josh Freeman MIN
Luke McCown NO
Curtis Painter NYG
David Garrard NYJ
Michael Vick PHI
Charlie Whitehurst SD
Tarvaris Jackson SEA
Colt McCoy SF
Kellen Clemens STL
Brady Quinn STL
Dan Orlovsky TB
Rusty Smith TEN
Rex Grossman WAS
Color me less than excited.

The alternative is draft Manziel or Bridgewater or **insert your guy here** and go with Yates or Keenum as our #2.

Rookie QB. Rebuilding defense....

This may be another loooonnnng year.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014   #240
Lucky

Rep Power: 191859 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
TK is right about one thing; IF they want to bring in a F/A vet, this is what we have to chose from...
You have to add Matt Cassel, who voided the last year of is contract and will be a free agent. Cassel was in New England with O'Brien for 2 seasons. He could probably run the offense in his sleep and would be perfect for a young QB to learn under.

Last edited by Lucky; 02-11-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read