Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ben Roethlisberger?

badboy

Hall of Fame
I am going to say no thanks for same reasons noted that Steelers don't want to pay him big money

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
They heard? - from whom, the scotch they were discussing this over?

I thought conditional picks couldn't be traded? Or does this guy just not know what he's talking about?
You are thinking compensatory picks which can't be traded. A conditional pick is inherently one which is involved in a trade - it's identity (rd) is determined by certain conditions. So they are suggesting something like 2.1 this year plus a 3rd next year which could become a 2nd if Big Ben has over 3000 passing yards.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
The Steelers have prepared no one to replace Roethlisberger. Based on that fact alone, he stays in Pittsburgh.

Texn4life

All Pro

You are thinking compensatory picks which can't be traded. A conditional pick is inherently one which is involved in a trade - it's identity (rd) is determined by certain conditions. So they are suggesting something like 2.1 this year plus a 3rd next year which could become a 2nd if Big Ben has over 3000 passing yards.
You're right....... Man, its being a long week for me.

Pure speculation.

But, I have posted a couple of times before that I would trade 2.01 for Roethlisberger in a heartbeat.

Would be ideal given our current situation (i.e. the age of our "core", available QB's at 1.01, etc.).

And, there was much scuttlebutt earlier this season about the Steelers trading Ben.

As I have stated, though, given the Steelers' finish to this season, you'd have to think they'd be less inclined to trade him.

bhsman

Rookie
I know some people have questioned whether the Texans would even draft a guy like Mettenberger for his sexual battery case; I can't see them trading for Big Ben with those two rape accusations.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Rumors posted on the day of the 2013 Draft by same site...

In some of the late rumors, WalterFootball.com heard that the Bears are big fans of Desmond Trufant. It makes sense for Chicago to draft corner help as Charles Tillman and Tim Jennings are older veterans. Phil Emery made a similar pick last year when he selected defensive end Shea McClellin despite having some good veterans.
Code:
1/20	Chicago Bears	        Kyle Long  	G	Oregon	
1/22	Atlanta Falcons	        Desmond Trufant CB	Washington
Sources told WalterFootball.com that the Cincinnati Bengals are "all in" on Alabama running back Eddie Lacy. It makes sense because the Bengals badly need a feature running back and Lacy is a good scheme fit. He could be an option in the first round or early in the second round.
Code:
2/37	Cincinnati Bengals	Giovani Bernard RB	North Carolina	
2/53	Cincinnati Bengals	Margus Hunt 	DE	SMU	
2/61	Green Bay Packers	Eddie Lacy  	RB	Alabama
A lot has been made about the lack of first-round talent in the 2013 draft class. One general manager is rumored to have said there are only 10-15 picks that are legitimate first-rounders in a traditional year. WalterFootball.com reached out to sources, and they said the number was about 20 in their estimation. Here is a list of the positions and the amount of players at the position that were said to be first-rounders. The specific player is the guess of the author.

Three Wide Receivers - Tavon Austin, Cordarralle Patterson, DeAndre Hopkins, Justin Hunter.
:ahhaha:

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
Heck he would be a pretty long term temporary. He is just about to turn 32.
I guess what I meant to say was without drafting a QB to be the "Man" now. Temporary was not really what I wanted to say, been drinking.

We could be successful for 5 years with a guy like Ben.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker

You are thinking compensatory picks which can't be traded. A conditional pick is inherently one which is involved in a trade - it's{sic} identity (rd) is determined by certain conditions. So they are suggesting something like 2.1 this year plus a 3rd next year which could become a 2nd if Big Ben has over 3000 passing yards.
No to Roethlisberger. The price is just too high for a QB near the end of his career.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Big Ben would be great IF we had a line to protect him and he was healthy, idk if we can achieve either and even we could he's not going anywhere this year

Giving up 2.1 for Big Ben would make it easier to make a trade with Cleveland and try and get those 2 1st rounders and maybe a 3rd or picks next year. Target a top defensive player and a lineman with those 2 1st rounders and look to provide secondary help in the 3rd.

I'm not saying I would want them to go this route, I haven't thought enough about it to form a strong opinion one way or another, but it does improve the QB play and allows other holes to be filled as well.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Texans just need to draft their QB period. They could have drafted Ben. They could have drafted Flacco. They could have drafted Foles (owned both later picks before trading back) ENOUGH! Figure it out boyz on Kirby :swatter:

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Giving up 2.1 for Big Ben would make it easier to make a trade with Cleveland and try and get those 2 1st rounders and maybe a 3rd or picks next year. Target a top defensive player and a lineman with those 2 1st rounders and look to provide secondary help in the 3rd.

I'm not saying I would want them to go this route, I haven't thought enough about it to form a strong opinion one way or another, but it does improve the QB play and allows other holes to be filled as well.
Why would it make it easier to trade with Cleveland?

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
I'd take 5 years of Big Ben in a heartbeat for a 2nd.
I would too.

And, certainly, all those people who believe certain QBs have championship intangibles and others do not, would trade away 1.1 for a few years with Big Ben... especially since those also to tend to be the same people that believe in gambling heavily against the future for a shot at the Superbowl... because "that's the only thing that matters".

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
With Munchak being named Steelers OC, I suspect that there is no way that Big Ben goes anywhere. With Munchak, Ben can expect much better protection....in turn, with less likelihood for injury.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
With Munchak being named Steelers OC, I suspect that there is no way that Big Ben goes anywhere.
Munchak went to the Steelers as the O-line coach. He'll need to get better players if the Steelers are to improve their pass protection. Getting the running game going might help the most. 27th in rushing is not Steeler football.

I don't think Ben is going anywhere and I do think O'Brien wants to get his own guy. Sounds like a complete fabrication with no basis in fact.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Munchak went to the Steelers as the O-line coach. He'll need to get better players if the Steelers are to improve their pass protection. Getting the running game going might help the most. 27th in rushing is not Steeler football.

I don't think Ben is going anywhere and I do think O'Brien wants to get his own guy. Sounds like a complete fabrication with no basis in fact.
Concur. If Big Ben was going somewhere it would have been after he was accused of forcing himself on an inebriated Coed in Georgia several years ago.

Tolar's Ghost

Waterboy
No to Roethlisberger. The price is just too high for a QB near the end of his career.
If he's near the end of his career, his career has several more productive years left.

He played some of the best football of his career in the last half of the season.

Tolar's Ghost

Waterboy
Concur. If Big Ben was going somewhere it would have been after he was accused of forcing himself on an inebriated Coed in Georgia several years ago.
Yes, forcing himself on a coed who, along with her friends, was wearing a T-shirt that declared, "Down to F..."

By the way, he's married and a father (and about to have No. 2). Give him an f-ing break.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I am going to say no thanks for same reasons noted that Steelers don't want to pay him big money
So you don't believe BoB when he says he believes this will be a quick turnaround?

If I'm BoB and I truly beleive this (which I don't) then I'm all in on Big Ben.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
So you don't believe BoB when he says he believes this will be a quick turnaround?

If I'm BoB and I truly beleive this (which I don't) then I'm all in on Big Ben.
I don't think the Steelers would take anything but something we would consider highway robbery (something that starts with 1.1 + X, y...) so I don't expect it to happen but if he were offered as described it would be a no brainer. I would even do it for 1.1 alone.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

^^^^
This, except I would love it if they wnt this route. Ben has atleast 5 yrs left in him. The best QB yrs Texans fans wii have ever seen.

If Rick gets Clowney and Big Ben in the same draft, then my hat's off to him. QB problem solved for the next 5 yrs. Premier pass rusher to helpout Watt and draft a serviceable RT in Rd.3 and trade up to get NT Justin Ellis and I'm a happy man coming out of this draft.

Pick a RB lie Dyer or Crowell in the 6-7th rd keep them out of trouble for a couple of yrs and this will be a spectacular draft.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
He's 32 yrs old ? How much are you willing to pay for a former SB winning QB that can give you 5-8 yrs of the best QB play this franchise has ever seen?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Texans just need to draft their QB period. They could have drafted Ben. They could have drafted Flacco. They could have drafted Foles (owned both later picks before trading back) ENOUGH! Figure it out boyz on Kirby :swatter:
Is Big Ben better than any QB in this draft? His rings speak loudly.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I would too.

And, certainly, all those people who believe certain QBs have championship intangibles and others do not, would trade away 1.1 for a few years with Big Ben... especially since those also to tend to be the same people that believe in gambling heavily against the future for a shot at the Superbowl... because "that's the only thing that matters".
Tell me again how this would be betting heavily against the future?

Check your PM BOX

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don't think the Steelers would take anything but something we would consider highway robbery (something that starts with 1.1 + X, y...) so I don't expect it to happen but if he were offered as described it would be a no brainer. I would even do it for 1.1 alone.
Agreed, but I'm not a cap expert?

How would they fit him under the cap?

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Agreed, but I'm not a cap expert?

How would they fit him under the cap?
Well it ain't happening so no point in getting too specific. They could go all sorts of ways. He is under contract for two more years.

Remember - 1) in any trade, the Texans would get him for only the base salaries and the Steelers would eat the dead money for bonuses and 2) if the Texans "could have" done it for $20 mil for Manning then they can do it for $12 for Big Ben.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Well it ain't happening so no point in getting too specific. They could go all sorts of ways. He is under contract for two more years.

Remember - 1) in any trade, the Texans would get him for only the base salaries and the Steelers would eat the dead money for bonuses and 2) if the Texans "could have" done it for $20 mil for Manning then they can do it for $12 for Big Ben.
Agreed/Agreed

DX-TEX

#TomSavageDontCare
Trade pick #33 for Ben, trade down with Cleveland for their 2 first rounders, draft Bortles at #4 as Bens heir. DONE!

PAY ME RICK!

Texian

Hall of Fame
Yes, forcing himself on a coed who, along with her friends, was wearing a T-shirt that declared, "Down to F..."

By the way, he's married and a father (and about to have No. 2). Give him an f-ing break.
You should probably chill and re-examine the scope of the conversation.

carter08

truth.

Because wearing that shirt means she is down to sleep with EVERYONE.

Please, don't use a woman's choice of clothing to justify sexual assault.

HJam72

Hall of Fame
Wouldn't even hesitate. Man walks in the door and instantly becomes the best QB the Houston Texans have ever had on their roster.
I don't think it'll happen, but I agree, and this is ANOTHER one we'd be stupid not to take advantage of.