Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-25-2014   #41
Dishman
Miss Ya Blue

Rep Power: 7608 Dishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans' Cap space......and the rest of the League

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Now..... in his/her defense. & I've been waiting for him/her to say it, but it's like (s)he doesn't understand his/her own argument.... we're screwed with Andre. I mentioned earlier, we shouldn't ever pay anyone an $18M salary, or suffer an $18M cap number for any one player.

Well, we should never have a WR with a $14M cap number either. Andre Johnson took a paycut last season to make cap space for Brian Cushing. We can't alter his contract again until next season.... we have no choice but to cut him (+$3.6M) or suffer a $15.6M cap number. $16M for 2015 & $14.6M in 2016.

The last two seasons, he's proven that he can still play, but... instead of asking him to take a pay cut, we should have "extended him" through 2018. Looks like he'll be a productive player at least through 2016..... but $16M??

Rick Smith & Chris Olsen need to find a way to extend him after the 2014 season through the 2019 season. Expect him to play through 2017, but minimize the cap hit in 2018.

But Andre is the only case. Mario was allowed to play out his contract without extending him indefinitely, So was Antonio. We can cut OD & Manning today & our cap would be better off. We can cut Matt Schaub today & we'd be better off.

We can cut Jjo & our cap would be better off. However, he's only 29 years old & he's not terrible. He's not $11M good, or $12M (2015)....... 5 to 7 million dollars maybe.
Maybe McNair does talk AJ into restructuring once again, and puts him in the front office to replace Smith.
Dishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014   #42
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Where do you come up with this stuff? Andre did NOT take a pay cut. He restructured. What that means is they took $4 million of salary and converted it to a bonus. That means that Andre received that $4 million up front in cash, just like a bonus. IE: there was no cut. That allowed the Texans the ability to reduce their salary cap by $4 million in 2013 and spread that $4 million bonus over the remaining FUTURE years of Andres contract. That is just one of the reasons that add up to why the Texans have salary cap problems again in 2014. FYI as long as Andre is NOT in the last year of his contract he can restructure his contract. Do you just make this stuff up as you go along?
You're right, I mispoke. It was a renegotiation. It's also my understanding that they have to wait a full year before they can alter his contract again. According to SI.com, Andre's deal was done in September. That would be too late to help us get new players into camp.

It is totally possible that I don't understand the intricacies as well as I should.

& though I agree with you that AJ's contract is symptomatic of the problem you believe runs rampant at Reliant, while you think the problem is they reallocated some of Andre's salary into future years, I believe they didn't reallocate enough & didn't push it out far enough.
Old 01-25-2014   #43
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272750 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's also my understanding that they have to wait a full year before they can alter his contract again. According to SI.com, Andre's deal was done in September. That would be too late to help us get new players into camp.
You are correct on the full year requirement.
Old 01-25-2014   #44
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48657 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You're right, I mispoke. It was a renegotiation. It's also my understanding that they have to wait a full year before they can alter his contract again. According to SI.com, Andre's deal was done in September. That would be too late to help us get new players into camp.

It is totally possible that I don't understand the intricacies as well as I should.

& though I agree with you that AJ's contract is symptomatic of the problem you believe runs rampant at Reliant, while you think the problem is they reallocated some of Andre's salary into future years, I believe they didn't reallocate enough & didn't push it out far enough.
AJ restructured $5.5 mil over 4 years. Only 4 years because AJ is signed thru 2016. Max number of years bonus can be extended is 5 years but there must be 5 years remaining on the contract.

You admittedly say you don't understand the salary cap rules and procedures and yet you think it's a good idea to restructure more dollars for longer periods?

Somehow I get the idea and think you have maxed out all your credit cards, over the limit and you think that is a good idea. fiscal responsibility vs frivolous spending. The Texans have borrowed over $20 million from AJ's salary alone and somehow I think that you think this is a good idea.

Do you really think a team with $2 million in salary cap space can be competitive with teams that have $30-$50 million in salary cap space. 2 years in a row? 3 in a row?
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014   #45
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Somehow I get the idea and think you have maxed out all your credit cards, over the limit and you think that is a good idea. fiscal responsibility vs frivolous spending. The Texans have borrowed over $20 million from AJ's salary alone and somehow I think that you think this is a good idea.
Are you saying it's not?

Quote:
Do you really think a team with $2 million in salary cap space can be competitive with teams that have $30-$50 million in salary cap space. 2 years in a row? 3 in a row?
& the Bills & the Browns should rule the NFL.

The Patriots only have $5M more than we do. They'll carry $8M of dead money in 2014, we'll only carry $3M.

The 9ers, $1M difference between them & us. $1.9M of dead money.

The Seahawks have $4M less than we do.
Old 01-25-2014   #46
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 32275 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't understand any of the cap stuff. Not sure anyone really does and I'm pretty sure that no one outside the nfl really does. Or that anyone outside nfl and Texans front office know the Texans cap situation. But I sure do get a laugh watching ya'll go back and forth.
Old 01-25-2014   #47
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48657 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I don't understand any of the cap stuff. Not sure anyone really does and I'm pretty sure that no one outside the nfl really does. Or that anyone outside nfl and Texans front office know the Texans cap situation. But I sure do get a laugh watching ya'll go back and forth.
Speak for yourself. It's all in the CBA. Read it. Then you will know it and understand it. I have, several times.

https://images.nflplayers.com/mediaR...es/2011CBA.pdf
Sponsored links
Old 01-25-2014   #48
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272750 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Speak for yourself. It's all in the CBA. Read it. Then you will know it and understand it. I have, several times.

https://images.nflplayers.com/mediaR...es/2011CBA.pdf
The CBA is available. Info on player contracts is incomplete and frequently misreported.
Old 01-25-2014   #49
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 32275 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
The CBA is available. Info on player contracts is incomplete and frequently misreported.

Thanks. What I said but shorter and better
Old 01-25-2014   #50
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
1. Andre's restructure was Sep 3.
2. It wasn't to get people into camp,
3. This is the 3rd straight year Andre has restructured.
4. $5 million of the 2014 salary cap is a result AJ's multiple restructuring and other bonuses.
5. AJ restructured last year to accommodate Cushing new contract and the increase to the 53 man roster.
6. AJ can restructure for a 4th straight year after Sep 3 but still prior to the start of the new league year.

Beginning of the new year (March) only the Top 51 contracts count against the salary cap. Usually about 5PM the day before the new season starts (usually Wedneday following Labor Day) the salary cap roster is expanded to include the final 53 man roster that must be salary cap compliant.
Old 02-20-2014   #51
Texian
Hall of Fame

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 8m

NFL's salary cap now projected to rise to about $130 million, up 5 percent from $123 million last year, per league sources. More $ for all.
Old 02-20-2014   #52
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 8m

NFL's salary cap now projected to rise to about $130 million, up 5 percent from $123 million last year, per league sources. More $ for all.
Just heard the same thing on Sports Radio 610. If true that's good news for the Texans and maybe they will be able to keep Antonio, OD or others and still have enough to extend Watt and maybe sign some FA's too.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #53
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Just heard the same thing on Sports Radio 610. If true that's good news for the Texans and maybe they will be able to keep Antonio, OD or others and still have enough to extend Watt and maybe sign some FA's too.
There is zero reason to extend Watt this year.
Old 02-20-2014   #54
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
The $130 million based on the current situation would put the Texans in a comfortable position to take care of IR replacements, Practice Squad and LTBEs but not much more than that.
Old 02-20-2014   #55
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There is zero reason to extend Watt this year.

Agree. Also, just because we could have more money doesn't mean we should keep OD. May be time to move on from him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #56
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Agree. Also, just because we could have more money doesn't mean we should keep OD. May be time to move on from him.
OD doesn't save enough to cut just to cut IMO. It would depend on who would replace him to me.
Old 02-20-2014   #57
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
OD doesn't save enough to cut just to cut IMO. It would depend on who would replace him to me.
a 2nd round pick? amaro? asj?
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #58
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104085 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
It's pretty 50/50 if Amaro makes it to the #33 pick. If Ebron goes early Amaro might be gone before we pick again.
Old 02-20-2014   #59
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
It's pretty 50/50 if Amaro makes it to the #33 pick. If Ebron goes early Amaro might be gone before we pick again.
ofcourse. was more asking the question in response to finding out whether he would cut OD if we got one of the top 3-4 rookie TEs
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #60
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
Yes. In that mock draft simulator thread I picked Amaro in the 2nd. So I am not against the idea. 4th or later I would keep OD for a year and not bother trying to sign Graham.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read