Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-25-2014   #21
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: They finally found a Gay NFL guy (but dead for over 25 years)

Once again the NFL Network produced a first-rate program in their story about Jerry Smith in a "A Football life". I was particularly impressed with Smith's friend who was one of the primary participants on the program, though his name escapes me. He knew more than anybody that it would have been a disaster for Smith to come out of the closet in those days even though some of Smiths teammates thought it would have worked. It was also interesting to learn what a tolerant and progressive type of man Vince Lombardi was though certainly having a gay brother had much to do with it.
After watching the story it would seem that Jerry Smith is certainly worthy of serious consideration into the NFL HOF, and I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. Actually I'm half way expecting it to happen after watching this production and knowing the tremendous political clout in the Gay community today. Afterall they were able to secure the legalization of Gay marriage at the Federal level, should be a snap just getting one of their own into the NFL HOF.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014   #22
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Once again the NFL Network produced a first-rate program in their story about Jerry Smith in a "A Football life". I was particularly impressed with Smith's friend who was one of the primary participants on the program, though his name escapes me. He knew more than anybody that it would have been a disaster for Smith to come out of the closet in those days even though some of Smiths teammates thought it would have worked. It was also interesting to learn what a tolerant and progressive type of man Vince Lombardi was though certainly having a gay brother had much to do with it.
After watching the story it would seem that Jerry Smith is certainly worthy of serious consideration into the NFL HOF, and I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. Actually I'm half way expecting it to happen after watching this production and knowing the tremendous political clout in the Gay community today. Afterall they were able to secure the legalization of Gay marriage at the Federal level, should be a snap just getting one of their own into the NFL HOF.
Sounds like the guy should be atleast a candidate on pure numbers and production.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014   #23
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Really? I watched that documentary last night and they showed that several HOF tight ends have inferior numbers to his.

As a matter of fact he held the touchdown record for tight ends for 25 years or so until it was finally broken by Shannon Sharpe.

Impressive because they were playing fewer games during Smith's era and offenses were more run oriented back then. Another thing to consider is he had Billy Kilmer, Sharpe had Elway.
Did you actually watch Jerry Smith play?

Did his play scream HOF to you?

Not so much for me.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014   #24
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
Guy gets his own A Football Life ... just because he is gay.

Dead?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014   #25
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121752 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

The stupidest Football Life was Tebow.

This one has more merit because of the gay issue in the US. Me personally, I don't have a problem with it. By all accounts he was a pretty good player and not some journeyman guy who was out of the league in 2 years.
Old 01-27-2014   #26
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Did you actually watch Jerry Smith play?

Did his play scream HOF to you?

Not so much for me.
Nope, he retired about a year before I really started watching which would have been Earl's rookie season.

I was just going off of numbers and the fact he held the TE TD record for 25 years.

Apparently there are a bunch of Tight Ends in the HOF with inferior numbers to his. Maybe they are in because they were better blockers. Maybe it's also because they weren't fans of Barbara Streisand and Liza Minnelli.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014   #27
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 84406 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nope, he retired about a year before I really started watching which would have been Earl's rookie season.

I was just going off of numbers and the fact he held the TE TD record for 25 years.

Apparently there are a bunch of Tight Ends in the HOF with inferior numbers to his. Maybe they are in because they were better blockers. Maybe it's also because they weren't fans of Barbara Streisand and Liza Minnelli.
And maybe they were all integral parts of SUPERBOWL teams. Just speculating on the reason as you are.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-27-2014   #28
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
And maybe they were all integral parts of SUPERBOWL teams. Just speculating on the reason as you are.
Yeah, even though Charlie Sanders has far less yardage and half the career TDs, it's probably the fact that he played for that dynasty Detroit Lions organization of the 70's as to why he got into the HOF over Smith.
Old 01-27-2014   #29
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Except yours is demonstrably false.

Quote:
Yeah, even though Charlie Sanders has far less yardage and half the career TDs, it's probably the fact that he played for that dynasty Detroit Lions organization of the 70's as to why he got into the HOF over Smith.
LOL, yup or Jackie Smith from the powerhouse non-SB St. Louis Cardinals. I doubt his single season with no receptions for the the Cowboys put him in the Hall for having the most famous dropped TD in SB history.

Old 01-27-2014   #30
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149846 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post

This one has more merit because of the gay issue in the US. Me personally, I don't have a problem with it. By all accounts he was a pretty good player and not some journeyman guy who was out of the league in 2 years.
I lost all respect for T-blow when he tried to copyright dropping down to one knee to pray. In all fairness however T-Blow was just Vince Young 2.0. Hmm...Great high school athlete who kicks butt in college and wins a Heisman but whose skills wouldn't serve him in the pros...lukily there's no one like THAT in the current draft.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014   #31
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149846 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Except yours is demonstrably false.

LOL, yup or Jackie Smith from the powerhouse non-SB St. Louis Cardinals. I doubt his single season with no receptions for the the Cowboys put him in the Hall for having the most famous dropped TD in SB history.

Wait...he dropped a pass which resulted in the Dllas Cowgirls losing a Super Bowl? I second his being nominated for the hall of fame on that alone.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Old 01-27-2014   #32
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
Wait...he dropped a pass which resulted in the Dllas Cowgirls losing a Super Bowl? I second his being nominated for the hall of fame on that alone.
12 year old 'cak shows you the birdie.

Where was your team that day? As I recall they were at home pulling 29 pt loss thorns out of their tookasses.
Old 01-27-2014   #33
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Quote:
12 year old 'cak shows you the birdie.

Where was your team that day? As I recall they were at home pulling 29 pt loss thorns out of their tookasses.
Duly noted counselor.
Old 01-27-2014   #34
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He won a Heisman and a two national championships. That isn't bad ...
So, I suppose Herschel Walker should get his own A Football Life, too?

Walker won the Heisman, a national championship, earned consensus All-American honors three consecutive years, set 10 NCAA records, 15 Southeast Conference records, 30 Georgia all-time records.

And he was part of one of the greatest trades in NFL history.

Somehow I doubt Herschel gets his own show, though...

The fact that NFL Films produced the documentary seems like it has more to do with something that Tebow did in the NFL...which honestly wasn't much....perhaps the episode was pandering to an audience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
And by far the most boring episode. Tebow barely accomplished diddly-squat in the NFL, and he's not even playing in the league just three seasons after he was drafted in the first round? What's up with that?

Around these parts, we'd call that a 'first round bust'. Not sure why he DESERVES his own A Football Life considering the NFL legends they have covered on that show (i.e. Lombardi, Jerry Rice, Walter Payton, Reggie White, Mike Ditka, Tom Landry, Jimmy Johnson, Ray Lewis, etc.).

Must be something more to the story...
Old 01-27-2014   #35
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64484 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
So, I suppose Herschel Walker should get his own A Football Life, too?
Well, that might make more sense than some random gay dude no one has ever heard of.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014   #36
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 123205 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, that might make more sense than some random gay dude no one has ever heard of.
No one being you

He may have come before your time but he was an outstanding receiving TE when most were blockers that might be able to catch a pass.
Brain Cushing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014   #37
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
During that time period you would have heard of him. He was a key cog on one of the league's top teams and highest profile teams.

You have heard of Dallas Clark right?
Old 01-27-2014   #38
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Quote:

You have heard of Dallas Clark right?
Dallas Clark is gay?
Old 01-27-2014   #39
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64484 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dallas Clark is gay?
I knew it!

Basically all Cowboys and their fans after the Tom Landry era are gay. Carry on ...
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014   #40
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Dallas Clark is gay?
At this point, we don't know. (movie reference?)

Quote:
I knew it!

Basically all Cowboys and their fans after the Tom Landry era are gay. Carry on ...
That's Jason Witten. Dallas Clark was Manning's go to TE.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read