Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-22-2014   #21
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 7912 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Logan Thomas: QB: Virginia Tech

only if he plays TE
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #22
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be open to drafting him if we took Bridgewater at #1 and then got McNair to spend a bunch of money on a crack surgeon team to swap their brains. Bridgewater's brain in Thomas' body would be a surefire franchise QB. Then we could release the Logan Thomas brain in Bridgewater's body, only to see him get picked up by the Patriots and become the GOAT QB...
Old 01-22-2014   #23
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Some team is going to draft him and it probably won't be at the end of the draft. I'm guessing 4th or 5th round. If we have learned anything about scouts and GM's over the years it's that height-weight-speed trumps everything.

There was a twitter quote in the Senior Bowl thread that was the quintessential attitude of a scout. It was...."I can teach him to throw the ball, I can't teach him to be 6'6, 250."

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #24
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39273 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Some team is going to draft him and it probably won't be at the end of the draft. I'm guessing 4th or 5th round. If we have learned anything about scouts and GM's over the years it's that height-weight-speed trumps everything.

There was a twitter quote in the Senior Bowl thread that was the quintessential attitude of a scout. It was...."I can teach him to throw the ball, I can't teach him to be 6'6, 250."
That was one of two quotes that stood out to me. The other:

Quote:
Will say this about Thomas--guy wasn't developed at VaTech. No progression from Y1-Y2-Y3 as a starter.
Could that just be poor coaching? I wouldn't mind the Texans getting him with a fifth or sixth rounder and seeing where he's at in 2-3 years under O'Brien.
JCTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #25
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Scouting Report

I can't help but be intrigued by this guy.

He seems to have such good physical tools, is book smart (graduated already in a real qualification), and only started QBing in college after being recruited as a TE.

I am pro-Bridgewater in the first (or Manziel or Bortles if push came to shove) but I would not be opposed to coming back to Thomas if he was there in the 5th.

Thoughts?

I'd be willing to use a 4th on him. Surely he's going to be a project.... plan B, incase Bridgewater/Bortles don't make it.

Heck, I'd be fine with drafting this guy in the 4th.... even the third, if we sign Josh Freeman.

But, I don't see Bridgewater or Manziel as tier 1 QBs.
Old 01-22-2014   #26
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 73838 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Could that just be poor coaching? I wouldn't mind the Texans getting him with a fifth or sixth rounder and seeing where he's at in 2-3 years under O'Brien.
That is the thing that stands out for me reading Senior Bowl coverage, how much the prospects get coached up and improve in three days at the Senior Bowl. WTF are the college coaches teaching them? Are colllege coaches that inferior to pro coaches?
Old 01-22-2014   #27
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'd be willing to use a 4th on him. Surely he's going to be a project.... plan B, incase Bridgewater/Bortles don't make it.

Heck, I'd be fine with drafting this guy in the 4th.... even the third, if we sign Josh Freeman.

But, I don't see Bridgewater or Manziel as tier 1 QBs.
You would be fine with walking into camp with Freeman, Thomas, and Keenum as our QB's? If we had the #1 pick and walked into camp with that QB crop I would fire everybody.

Just my opinion, but I see you keep on talking about prototypical QB's and how Bridgewater and Co. don't add up to your prototypical standards. On the flip side, just because a guy has prototypical measurements (Freeman & Thomas) doesn't mean they can play QB worth a lick.

Skill sets are much more important than measureables. When your best attribute as a QB is that you're big, then there's a problem.

- The Immortal Bo
Sponsored links
Old 01-22-2014   #28
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
That is the thing that stands out for me reading Senior Bowl coverage, how much the prospects get coached up and improve in three days at the Senior Bowl. WTF are the college coaches teaching them? Are colllege coaches that inferior to pro coaches?
Colleges use players to get W's just like players use colleges to get to the pro's. If a guy is big and fast and can run your team to victory then there is no reason to develop him as a passer. That's just how it is.

And I wouldn't be so quick to blame VT for Thomas' lack of development. His lack of talent is the reason for his lack of development. Remember, his predecessor Tyrod Taylor developed wonderfully at VT.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 01-22-2014   #29
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 41193 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
If not he's an idiot. It may be his only chance in the nfl.
This is starting to sound like the Tebow comments from last year.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014   #30
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You would be fine with walking into camp with Freeman, Thomas, and Keenum as our QB's? If we had the #1 pick and walked into camp with that QB crop I would fire everybody.
You would be fine walking into camp with Bridgewater or Manziel? If we had the #1 pick & we became the first franchise to draft a QB first overall who weighed less than 210... I'd fire every body.

Quote:
Just my opinion, but I see you keep on talking about prototypical QB's and how Bridgewater and Co. don't add up to your prototypical standards. On the flip side, just because a guy has prototypical measurements (Freeman & Thomas) doesn't mean they can play QB worth a lick.
& even with their size, I don't suggest taking either of them with the #1 overall, nowhere close. There's a trade off. Bridgewater may have the experience of playing in a "pro" system, but so did Aj McCarron. It's a knock on McCarron because he was surrounded by talent... yet I feel Bridgewater's receivers made him look really good with major YAC & amazing catches (not a popular opinion, but it is mine). McCarron also didn't play well against better competition... but it was better competition.

& yes, If Kubiak can make Matt Schaub a "starter" based on what he was in Atlanta, OB should be able to get as much (if not more) out of Freeman if he's half the QB guru Kubiak "is"

Quote:
Skill sets are much more important than measureables. When your best attribute as a QB is that you're big, then there's a problem.
People said Michael Vick wouldn't be able to play a full season in the NFL. He's hell on wheels when he's healthy enough to play though. Vick had a "wow" factor about him to compensate for his "lack of size" (6'1' 210lbs)... imo, Bridgewater doesn't have enough "wow" to compensate for his 6'3" 206lb frame + lesser competition + shoddy mechanics.

None of them are perfect. But I'd rather try to fix "big with issues" than "small with issues."

But that's me. You don't have to agree, I'm fine with that.
Old 01-23-2014   #31
matts290
Veteran

Rep Power: 18116 matts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respected

thunder, please enlighten me on what makes you like Josh Freeman so much, because just about everyone else in the world other than you and his mother agree that he is a bad QB.
matts290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Imagine it's 1992, you're the Green Bay Packers. You need a QB. Do you take the best one available to you in the draft? Do you trade up to get the best QB in the class? Or do they look elsewhere for a "better" prospect?
Old 01-23-2014   #33
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts290 View Post
thunder, please enlighten me on what makes you like Josh Freeman so much, because just about everyone else in the world other than you and his mother agree that he is a bad QB.
I don't like Josh Freeman. I like Josh Freeman + Zach Mettenberger/Aj McCarron/Logan Thomas better than Teddy Bridgewater. I'm not ready to say Josh is a bad QB. He's been in some bad situations, didn't handle them all to well, but who knows... maybe he learned something from them.

I'm perfectly fine giving Freeman "one last chance," a full training camp with my team, to allow my rookie QB time to adjust. If you guys are right & Freeman is "bad" there will be plenty of opportunity to insert the rookie into real games & prepare him to become a starter in the NFL.
Old 01-23-2014   #34
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't like Josh Freeman. I like Josh Freeman + Zach Mettenberger/Aj McCarron/Logan Thomas better than Teddy Bridgewater.
You don't put two QBs on the field at once. Two 5's do not beat an 8 in the QB game.
Old 01-23-2014   #35
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
You don't put two QBs on the field at once. Two 5's do not beat an 8 in the QB game.
I think he is more interested in hedging his bet over projecting the best prospect and going with him.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014   #36
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
I think he is more interested in hedging his bet over projecting the best prospect and going with him.
I think he is more interested in pot stirring and making any and every argument against TB as the favorite is his latest campaign.
Old 01-23-2014   #37
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

OK. I'll bite. I've got nothing better to do. Just work...

Quote:
Imagine it's 1992, you're the Green Bay Packers. You need a QB. Do you take the best one available to you in the draft? Do you trade up to get the best QB in the class? Or do they look elsewhere for a "better" prospect?
You're reaching for an example over 20 years old with several flaws. We aren't trading up. Maddox wasn't graded out at the top of the draft. Favre was right next to Maddox with pre-draft rankings (In a different year).

What if I told you for every exception to the rule there are substantially more rules that hold up to the exception?

Tommy Maddox had prototypical NFL QB size (6'4, 220) and Brett Favre was shorter than ideal height (6'2).

Maddox was only taken 8 spots higher than Favre.

Quote:
I don't like Josh Freeman. I like Josh Freeman + Zach Mettenberger/Aj McCarron/Logan Thomas better than Teddy Bridgewater. I'm not ready to say Josh is a bad QB. He's been in some bad situations, didn't handle them all to well, but who knows... maybe he learned something from them.

I'm perfectly fine giving Freeman "one last chance," a full training camp with my team, to allow my rookie QB time to adjust. If you guys are right & Freeman is "bad" there will be plenty of opportunity to insert the rookie into real games & prepare him to become a starter in the NFL.
So Freeman fails and you are forced to start the rookie... but the rookie your forced to start is not nearly as good... So now you have a worse rookie starting at QB for your team. At least he's got the size right?
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014   #38
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
So Freeman fails and you are forced to start the rookie... but the rookie your forced to start is not nearly as good... So now you have a worse rookie starting at QB for your team. At least he's got the size right?
It would be kinda like being forced to start Aaron Rodgers instead of Alex Smith. Just because he was selected later in the draft doesn't mean he is a worse prospect, only that the "experts" believe he is.

Or if Matt Flynn fails, the Seahawks were forced to start Russell Wilson, who turned out (so far) as good as, if not better, than RG3 & Andrew Luck both chosen two full rounds ahead of him.

Understand, Ryan Mallett has first round talent. They were worried bout his off field issues. I don't know if we can hold it against him that he didn't beat out Tom Brady for the starting job.
Old 01-23-2014   #39
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217648 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In 1992? The Packers had Don Majkowski! He was THE MAN! He led the Pack to a 10-6 a couple of years before and then had a couple of years of injuries, but the future was bright with the Majik Man!

They just needed a really good backup.

Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014   #40
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

I could see the Texans spending as high as a 5th on him, but he'd either be a project or have to convert to Tight End. Dude is big and fast, it's just a matter of him improving or making a good transition.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read