Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-02-2014   #1441
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2014 Texans Talk Mock Draft SELECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
So late in the draft I'm a firm believer that most of these guys won't do much besides STs. Sometimes you can find that day 1 contributor but more often than not, you won't.

With that said I want a Strong and fast guy with decent size that can tear down the field and deliver a hard pop to anyone not fair catching that football. With the 216th pick in the 2014 NFL draft the Houston Texans select...

Storm Johnson - RB - UCF - AAC

Now after it sounds like I am dogging Storm, let it be down that I am actually a true believer in this guy's game. I think he can play football in the NFL. I think he can be the guy that spells Arian Foster and gives him much needed rest while being effective on the football field.

I've watched this guys game over the years and rarely did I find myself finding fault. Did I mention, this guy has the coolest name remaining in the NFL draft pool? Get ready Houston.... a Storm is coming...

Side bar... anyone have any opinions on the question I asked about 6 posts up about the OLBs?
After watching game tape on Bortles the other night, I was more excited about Storm Johnson than I was Bortles.

Good pick up.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014   #1442
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

With the 2nd pick of the 7th round the DC Indigenous Americans select............

Devon Kennard - OLB - USC = PAC12

This guy has a late 4th round grade for me so can't resist taking him here.

I think he is a very versatile piece with good instincts. Good leader and decent athlete.

Could see him being able to play inside and outside.
Old 04-02-2014   #1443
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

The Cleveland Browns select:

J.C. Copeland - FB - LSU - Need a meathead who will run through walls like The Juggernaut. This guy fits the bill, he's built like a brick house. He's mighty mighty just lettin' it all hang out. The fullback's stacked and that's a fact, ain't holding nothing back.
Old 04-02-2014   #1444
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78460 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

4 ( 219 ) Oakland Raiders ( Rock N Randy ) ON THE CLOCK: 1:00pm - 5:00pm
5 ( 220 ) Atlanta Falcons ( JCTexan )
6 ( 221 ) Tampa Bay Buccaneers ( TexansSeminole )
7 ( 222 ) Jacksonville Jaguars ( The Pencil Neck )
8 ( 223 ) Minnesota Vikings ( NCTexan )
9 ( 224 ) Buffalo Bills ( Blake )
10 ( 225 ) Carolina Panthers ( Bah007 )

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014   #1445
Rock N Randy
Legend

Rep Power: 5405 Rock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respected

I wanted Duvernay-Tardif here for Oakland but he went to Cincinnati in the last round
So give me one second to look at my board and needs

Oakland Raiders select ... Larry Webster III, DE, Bloomsburg

What's not to like about this raw former basketball player!
6'6 255lbs DE only played one year at Bloomsburg and had an outstanding season

His father was drafted and a NFL journeyman

Webster is stiff and has a lot to learn about the game of football and that will come with time and coaching
This guy has rare size and speed and athletic ability for the position
4.58 40, 36".5" vert, and a 10'.3" broad jump, 7.29 3 cone drill with 17 reps!
Just in case y'all were wondering and food for thought ...

Clowney's measurables&stats are 6'5 266lbs with a 4.53 40, 37".5" vert, 10'.4" broad jump, 7.27 3 cone drill, 21reps

Webster is not Clowney but I just wanted to compare the stats to show you why I'm taking Webster here and drafting the unknown product out of Bloomsburg

STRENGTHS: Looks the part with a tall, long frame and the growth potential to get stronger. Has good first step quickness to burst and change directions quickly with flexible ankles. Uses his long arms to make wrap tackles and finish. Has the athleticism and range to cover a large area and make plays in pursuit. Was very productive in his one season of football at the college level and impressed coaches with the way he quickly adapted to the game despite being away from the field for so long. He has a good work ethic and puts in the time to prepare and get better. As the father of an 11-year NFL veteran, he has athletic bloodlines and knows about the NFL process.

WEAKNESSES: Needs to commit himself to the weight room and add bulk to his body. Needs to develop football strength as well, to hold up in the trenches and match up at the next level. His hip movements are a little stiff and he needs to do a better job breaking down in space. Needs to continue to develop his pass rush moves and learn how to better use his hands to protect his body and shed blocks. Will play too tall at times and needs to learn to use better leverage off the snap. Has only one full season of football experience under his belt since high school and lacks ideal experience, doing his damage at the Division II level.

NFL Comparison: Michael Johnson, DE, Cincinnati Bengals - Although he's not there yet, Webster has the frame and athleticism to develop into a similar pass rusher at the NFL level.

-per CBSsports

Last edited by Rock N Randy; 04-02-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Rock N Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014   #1446
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36121 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

With the 220th pick the Atlanta Falcons select..

Ryan Grant - WR - Tulane - AAC

Quick hands, smooth coordination and wins with timing and precision in his routes to create just enough room to work. Grant showed surprising burst at the Senior Bowl, as well as the agility as a route-runner and reliable hands to out-play several more highly-touted receivers.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014   #1447
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Just realised that I am done with this draft.

Here are the final drafts for my two teams:

Washington

(34) Lamarcus Joyner - S - Florida State
(66) Billy Turner - OT - North Dakota State
(102) Telvin Smith - OLB - Florida State
(142) Terrence Mitchell - CB - Oregon
(178) Bruce Ellington - WR - South Carolina
(217) Devon Kennard - OLB - USC

Arizona

(20) Kyle Van Noy - LB - BYU
(52) Jimmie Ward - S - Northern Illinois
(84) Ed Reynolds - FS - Stanford
(120) Aaron Murray - QB - Georgia
(160) John Halapio - Guard - Florida
(196) Joe Don Duncan - TE - Dixie State

Pretty happy with those drafts.

The player that sticks out most is Telvin Smith. I love his talents but I think I misdrafted him to Washington.
Sponsored links
Old 04-02-2014   #1448
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Tampa Bay selects...

Tajh Boyd - QB - Clemson - ACC
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014   #1449
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Tampa Bay selects...

lol, the forgotten QB.

That's straight value getting him in the 7th though. You're a team with serious ?'s at the QB position (Josh McCown, despite what Lovie Smith wants to believe, is a loser) and so you have snagged a guy in the 7th round that can compete with Sticks for the starting QB job at game #8 of the regular season.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014   #1450
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Ryan Grant and Tajh Boyd were the top of my list for the Titans in this round.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014   #1451
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78460 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Proxy pick for The Pencil Neck via PM.

The Jacksonville Jaguars select...

De'Anthony Thomas - RB - Oregon - Pac 12

- The Immortal Bo
Old 04-02-2014   #1452
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

8 ( 223 ) Minnesota Vikings ( NCTexan ) ON THE CLOCK: 3:15pm - 7:15pm
9 ( 224 ) Buffalo Bills ( Blake )
10 ( 225 ) Carolina Panthers ( bah007 ) PM'ed
11 ( 226 ) St. Louis Rams ( RT22 )
12 ( 227 ) Detroit Lions ( steelbtexan )
13 ( 228 ) Tennessee Titans ( The Pencil Neck )

- The Immortal Bo
Old 04-02-2014   #1453
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm excited. Really hoping I can lay down the pick for Mr. Irrelevant before lunch time tomorrow.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014   #1454
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Btw, since we have now reached the 7th round, I figured I would gauge interest on having an UDFA round. Would basically be an 8th round with the original draft order. It would work the same way as the normal rounds except I would cut the clock in half and if you miss the pick then we just skip you. I ask because every time we do a mock like this, and it never fails, the second the last pick is made about 5 GM's post a list of the 15 UDFA's they just signed post draft.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 04-02-2014   #1455
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers' draft has concluded.

In free agency they added C Evan Dietrich-Smith, OT Anthony Collins, G Oniel Cousins, DE Michael Johnson, CB Alterraun Verner, QB Josh McCown, DT Clinton McDonald, LB Dane Fletcher, CB Mike Jenkins, TE Brandon Myers, WR Louis Murphy, while resigning LB Jonathan Casillas, CB Danny Gorrer and OT Jamon Meredith. Their high activity in FA allowed me some freedom in the draft room.

The team had only 5 draft picks to work with, but I feel like I got some good players for them to develop.

Round 1: CJ Mosley, MLB, Alabama
Round 2: Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State
Round 3: Loucheiz Purifoy, CB, Florida
Round 5: Dontae Johnson, FS/CB, NC State
Round 7: Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson

Mosley gives the team a starting MLB from day one and allows LB Mason Foster to move outside and become more of a two down player. Cooks gives the team a slot receiver from day one and adds a punt and kick return option. Purifoy should compete with Mike Jenkins for the nickel. Johnson is a nice prospect to develop at either CB or FS. He will compete with McCray to backup Goldson and may take over for him in 2015, as Goldson hasn't been the player he was in SF. Tajh Boyd is another nice prospect to develop as the #3 QB.

Depth chart:

QB: Josh McCown, Mike Glennon, Tajh Boyd, Mike Kafka
LT: Anthony Collins, Jace Daniels
LG: Carl Nicks, Jason Foster
C: Evan Dietrich-Smith, Jason Foster
RG: Oniel Cousins, Patrick Omameh
RT: Demar Dotson, Jamon Meredith
WR: Vincent Jackson, Mike Williams, Brandin Cooks, Louis Murphy, Tommy Streeter
TE: Brandon Myers, Tom Crabtree, Luke Stocker
RB: Doug Martin, Mike James, Bobby Rainey
FB: Lonnie Pryor

DE: Michael Johnson, Adrian Clayborn, Da'Quan Bowers, William Gholston, Steven Means
DT: Gerald McCoy, Akeem Spence, Clinton McDonald, Everett Dawkins
OLB: Lavonte David, Mason Foster, Jonathan Casillas, Marvin Booker
MLB: CJ Mosley, Dane Fletcher
FS: Dashon Goldson, Kelcie McCray, Dontae Johnson
SS: Mark Barron, Keith Tandy
CB: Alterraun Verner, Jonathan Banks, Mike Jenkins, Louchiez Purifoy, Dontae Johnson, Deveron Carr

I wish I was able to address OL, TE and more LB depth, but I am happy with the draft.
Old 04-02-2014   #1456
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Quote:
Tampa Bay selects...

Love this pick too.

Great Value.
Old 04-02-2014   #1457
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
lol, the forgotten QB.

That's straight value getting him in the 7th though. You're a team with serious ?'s at the QB position (Josh McCown, despite what Lovie Smith wants to believe, is a loser) and so you have snagged a guy in the 7th round that can compete with Sticks for the starting QB job at game #8 of the regular season.
Don't forget Mike Glennon. I went into this not buying that the Bucs would look to add a QB early. Glennon was a 59.4% passer with 2,608 yards passing and a 19/9 TD to INT ratio through 13 games in his rookie year last year.
Old 04-02-2014   #1458
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Btw, since we have now reached the 7th round, I figured I would gauge interest on having an UDFA round. Would basically be an 8th round with the original draft order. It would work the same way as the normal rounds except I would cut the clock in half and if you miss the pick then we just skip you. I ask because every time we do a mock like this, and it never fails, the second the last pick is made about 5 GM's post a list of the 15 UDFA's they just signed post draft.
Great Idea.

I wonder if those who want to do it could be given a random draft order to symbolise the less orderly nature of the UDFA period?
Old 04-02-2014   #1459
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Quote:
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers' draft has concluded.

In free agency they added C Evan Dietrich-Smith, OT Anthony Collins, G Oniel Cousins, DE Michael Johnson, CB Alterraun Verner, QB Josh McCown, DT Clinton McDonald, LB Dane Fletcher, CB Mike Jenkins, TE Brandon Myers, WR Louis Murphy, while resigning LB Jonathan Casillas, CB Danny Gorrer and OT Jamon Meredith. Their high activity in FA allowed me some freedom in the draft room.

The team had only 5 draft picks to work with, but I feel like I got some good players for them to develop.

Round 1: CJ Mosley, MLB, Alabama
Round 2: Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State
Round 3: Loucheiz Purifoy, CB, Florida
Round 5: Dontae Johnson, FS/CB, NC State
Round 7: Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson
Solid effort with just 5 picks.
Old 04-02-2014   #1460
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Don't forget Mike Glennon. I went into this not buying that the Bucs would look to add a QB early. Glennon was a 59.4% passer with 2,608 yards passing and a 19/9 TD to INT ratio through 13 games in his rookie year last year.
I thought "Sticks" was Glennon...
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read