Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-27-2014   #1181
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2014 Texans Talk Mock Draft SELECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Blake and the Buffalo Bills Select:

Colt Lyerla - TE - Oregon

Might be high due to character concerns, but he is a talented TE and can really help the Bills if he has his head on straight.

Jake Matthews - OT - Texas A&M
Kelvin Benjamin - WR - Florida State
Cyril Richardson - OG - Baylor
Will Clarke - DE - West Virginia
Ah. I was looking at him later in this round.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #1182
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

The Jacksonville Jaguars select:

Ego Ferguson - DT - LSU - SEC

He's a big guy with some concerns but there you go. I think this is late enough to warrant the risk on him.
Old 03-27-2014   #1183
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

With the 151st pick, the Titans select:

Michael Sam - DE/OLB - Missouri - SEC

The Titans need more pass-rush. They're moving to a 3-4 and they're going to be looking for Sam to be able to stand up and just go after the passer.
Old 03-27-2014   #1184
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
The Jacksonville Jaguars select:

Ego Ferguson - DT - LSU - SEC

He's a big guy with some concerns but there you go. I think this is late enough to warrant the risk on him.
Can someone explain to me why this guy has a 2-3 round rating from a bunch of places? Am I missing some big game of his against top competition?

I'm not knocking the pick here, because I think the 5th or later is where he belongs, but I honestly never saw him do much on tape. Anthony Johnson looked much more appealing to me, but even he seemed like a 4th rounder.
Old 03-27-2014   #1185
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Can someone explain to me why this guy has a 2-3 round rating from a bunch of places? Am I missing some big game of his against top competition?

I'm not knocking the pick here, because I think the 5th or later is where he belongs, but I honestly never saw him do much on tape. Anthony Johnson looked much more appealing to me, but even he seemed like a 4th rounder.
He's more of a potential guy, which is why I don't mind him going at this point and why I don't mind him going to a defensive minded coach.
Old 03-27-2014   #1186
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 138774 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's more of a potential guy, which is why I don't mind him going at this point and why I don't mind him going to a defensive minded coach.
Tools are there for sure. Development could turn him into a solid starter. Not a college tape standout but with coaching he should be much more visible during the game.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #1187
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 138774 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
With the 151st pick, the Titans select:

Michael Sam - DE/OLB - Missouri - SEC

The Titans need more pass-rush. They're moving to a 3-4 and they're going to be looking for Sam to be able to stand up and just go after the passer.

Of course this is all hypothetical, and I refuse to comment any more on the Michael Sam debate other than simply finding this ironic:

Twitter study find Tennessee Fans least receptive to Michael Sam - CBS

Also, this is around where I expect Michael Sam to go.
Sponsored links
Old 03-27-2014   #1188
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Blake and the Buffalo Bills Select:

Might be high due to character concerns, but he is a talented TE and can really help the Bills if he has his head on straight.

Jake Matthews - OT - Texas A&M
Kelvin Benjamin - WR - Florida State
Cyril Richardson - OG - Baylor
Will Clarke - DE - West Virginia
Someone will do it.
Old 03-27-2014   #1189
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Of course this is all hypothetical, and I refuse to comment any more on the Michael Sam debate other than simply finding this ironic:

I almost said, "Let the jokes begin." I hadn't seen that about the Titans fans being the least receptive to him. I really debated about putting him here but it seemed the right place.
Old 03-27-2014   #1190
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

12 ( 152 ) New York Giants ( mussop ) ON THE CLOCK: 4:00pm - 8:00pm
13 ( 153 ) St. Louis Rams ( RT22 )
14 ( 154 ) New York Jets ( steelbtexan )
15 ( 155 ) Miami Dolphins ( htownfan32 )
16 ( 156 ) Chicago Bears ( steelbtexan )
17 ( 157 ) Pittsburgh Steelers ( Rock N Randy )
18 ( 158 ) Dallas Cowboys ( Thetexanator )

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #1191
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I almost said, "Let the jokes begin." I hadn't seen that about the Titans fans being the least receptive to him. I really debated about putting him here but it seemed the right place.
Yeah I get the feeling that around here is the right place for him too, whether it be the Titans or with another team in this pick range.
Old 03-27-2014   #1192
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ive always called them the "Flaming" Thumb Tacks, so he should be right at home there.

Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #1193
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
What about Q Berry? I thought that was supposed to be one of his functions.
Just IMHO, doesn't make it right or make it so. Quessenberry was a 6th RD pick vs Newton a 7th RD pick. QBerry hasn't played a down and QBerry and Newton Combine #s almost mirror each other. IMHO that's a big jump/assumption for QBerry.

There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that QBerry is anything more than any other late rd OL drafted by Smubiak. If you're using history as a judge then you should expect disappointment. It is very possible that QBerry is not as good as Newton.

BTW Reid in the 5th is a GREAT pick!
Old 03-27-2014   #1194
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 95414 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yep. A one or two round PC boost. But he's not the only reach in the draft.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #1195
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

So far, this is Ozzie Newsome/htownfan32's haul for the Baltimore Ravens:

17(17) Eric Ebron - TE - North Carolina
16(48) Jack Mewhort - OG - Ohio State
15(79) Marcus Martin - C - USC
35(99) Jeremy Hill - RB - LSU
34(134) Ahmad Dixon - SS - Baylor
38(138) Mike Davis - WR - Texas

Not bad, not bad. Ebron, Mewhort, Martin should be starters. Hill will probably get a good amount of snaps (more depending on how Ray Rice's situation develops). Dixon will get solid playing time, possibly even start. Davis should see snaps and will have an expanded role in the future.

Here's Miami's:

19(19) Zack Martin - OL - Notre Dame
18(50) Allen Robinson - WR - Penn State
17(81) JaWuan James - OT - Tennessee
16(116) Anthony Johnson - DT - LSU

Also not bad, but my God, Baltimore has a ton of picks to work with in this draft.
Old 03-27-2014   #1196
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
So far, this is Ozzie Newsome/htownfan32's haul for the Baltimore Ravens:

17(17) Eric Ebron - TE - North Carolina
16(48) Jack Mewhort - OG - Ohio State
15(79) Marcus Martin - C - USC
35(99) Jeremy Hill - RB - LSU
34(134) Ahmad Dixon - SS - Baylor
38(138) Mike Davis - WR - Texas

Not bad, not bad. Ebron, Mewhort, Martin should be starters. Hill will probably get a good amount of snaps (more depending on how Ray Rice's situation develops). Dixon will get solid playing time, possibly even start. Davis should see snaps and will have an expanded role in the future.

Here's Miami's:

19(19) Zack Martin - OL - Notre Dame
18(50) Allen Robinson - WR - Penn State
17(81) JaWuan James - OT - Tennessee
16(116) Anthony Johnson - DT - LSU

Also not bad, but my God, Baltimore has a ton of picks to work with in this draft.
Pretty good.

Here's the Titans so far:

Justin Gilbert, CB
Tre Mason, RB
A.J. McCarron, QB
Michael Sam - OLB/DE

But. The onslaught that is the Jaguar's Draft has just begun. These guys have a zillion picks this year.

Jadeveon Clowney, DE/OLB
David Yankey, OG
Jimmy Garoppolo, QB
Terrance West, RB
Victor Hampton, CB
Ego Ferguson, DT

And they've got a ton more picks on the way.

I hate the Jags.
Old 03-27-2014   #1197
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Pretty good.

Here's the Titans so far:

Justin Gilbert, CB
Tre Mason, RB
A.J. McCarron, QB
Michael Sam - OLB/DE

But. The onslaught that is the Jaguar's Draft has just begun. These guys have a zillion picks this year.

Jadeveon Clowney, DE/OLB
David Yankey, OG
Jimmy Garoppolo, QB
Terrance West, RB
Victor Hampton, CB
Ego Ferguson, DT

And they've got a ton more picks on the way.

I hate the Jags.
Yikes. This is a good draft in which to have a lot of picks. Starters all the way to the 4th round, if you ask me.
Old 03-27-2014   #1198
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Giants only have 20 minutes left on their clock so let's start tossing ideas around.

GIANTS DRAFT:
1 - Taylor Lewan - OT, Michigan
2 - Troy Niklas - TE, Notre Dame
3 - Ka'Deem Carey - RB, Arizona
4 - Seantrel Henderson - OT, Miami

They have yet to address the OLB position, where they have a huge need, so I think that should be the easy choice here. Maybe a DT if it's BPA.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 03-27-2014   #1199
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Proxy pick for the New York Giants after running over their deadline.

The New York Giants select...

Kevin Pierre-Louis - OLB - Boston College - ACC

- The Immortal Bo
Old 03-27-2014   #1200
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

13 ( 153 ) St. Louis Rams ( RT22 ) ON THE CLOCK: 8:15pm - 10:15am
14 ( 154 ) New York Jets ( steelbtexan )
15 ( 155 ) Miami Dolphins ( htownfan32 )
16 ( 156 ) Chicago Bears ( steelbtexan )
17 ( 157 ) Pittsburgh Steelers ( Rock N Randy )
18 ( 158 ) Dallas Cowboys ( Thetexanator )

- The Immortal Bo

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read