Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-27-2014   #1161
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2014 Texans Talk Mock Draft SELECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
He's been training as an ILB hard the past 2 seasons in camp and it might have just been coach speak, but I feel like I remember Wade saying he would start at ILB if it wasn't for the more pressing need to have him outside.

I don't think he is good enough to be an OLB in the NFL so far. He's a failed 2nd round pick IMO, but before I throw away a 2nd round pick I generally want to give them one final shot.

That's all me going off memory, but here is a quick Google search:

http://www.battleredblog.com/2013/10...osition-change
Thanks for that
Old 03-27-2014   #1162
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

What are people's thoughts on Dontae Johnson? I haven't heard his name come up around here at all.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #1163
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
How much more does Steve Smith have left to give? Not saying Mike Davis is good enough to supplant him, but Davis adds a returning factor to the team (other than Jacoby) and can ease his way into the starting lineup as Smith gets older.

(Was thinking towards the future, also kind of forgot about Smith )

Not saying Davis was a bad pick.

I like the Reid/Johnson/Zumwalt picks.

If the draft falls this way I hope Rick drafts Reid and trades back up to the front of the 5th rd for Zumwalt. These are 2 guys that put football 1st.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #1164
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109412 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
What are people's thoughts on Dontae Johnson? I haven't heard his name come up around here at all.
Big fan of his. Love that pick. He was one of the top players left on my board.

I think he's very underrated. Great athlete. Hybrid player who can play nickel, FS, or SS depending on situation.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #1165
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Big fan of his. Love that pick. He was one of the top players left on my board.

I think he's very underrated. Great athlete. Hybrid player who can play nickel, FS, or SS depending on situation.
I'd never heard of him but from what you guys are saying I think I would love the guy too.
Old 03-27-2014   #1166
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I thought about taking him with my last 49ers pick, but went with Millard at the last minute.

I really like him as a prospect. Tall and fluid athlete that can play CB or FS. Doesn't get the same hype as other tall CB's like McGill or Jean-Baptiste because he's not as long. His arm length is average so despite being 6-2, he doesn't fully fit that mold of long press CB that seems to be the craze right now.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #1167
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 321362 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you are referring to the Texans, then good sir, you will get nothing.

There’s nothing wrong with double dipping that flavorless cheap, especially if you aren’t 100% positive that first dip was enough to get that correct taste going. With that said the Houston Texans select:

Caraun Reid - DT - Princeton - Ivy League

Word on the street is that we are going to be running a hybrid 3-4/4-3. If any of that is true we need more than 3/4 capable DLinemen, which is why I think that our Boy Caraun here is versatile and can fit well in both sets as both depth and a starter.

I also believe that since we just brought in one Ivy Leaguer that we needed to bring in a 2nd so the that Ryan wouldn’t get lonely talking about differential equations and advanced probabilities by himself. Now he has someone that he can bounce ideas off of.
You surprised me there. I was expecting Zumwalt.

But once I thought about it, I agree. Good pick.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-27-2014   #1168
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Minus pick #2 this draft went exactly the way I had planned it and I know yall might hate it, but relax, cause I love it and could care less.

I'm just trying to crack jokes FYI, if you don't like anything or have reasons why you might do something different I'm all ears. My immediate reaction is to always become defensive, but I like being educated and learning more than I already know (or think I do) and always appreciate it later (unless you're dumb).
TEXANS DRAFT:
1 (#1) QB - Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville
2 (#33) DE/OLB - Kony Ealy, Missouri
3 (#65) DE/DT - Kelcy Quarles, South Carolina
4 (#101) NT - Daniel McCullers, Tennessee
4 (#135) OT/OG - Michael Schofield, Michigan
5 (#141) DT - Caraun Reid, Princeton

- The Bridgewater pick was expected. In a mock where there is no trading I fully expected a QB here. Bridgewater is my favorite, but I could live with Bortles as well.

- Wasn't a fan of the Ealy pick because he's not big or strong enough to play DE and I questioned his ability to stand up at OLB. That said, I understand the logic here and it's great value.

- Loved the Quarles pick. Exactly the kind of player we need at DE.

- Already spoke on the McCullers pick. Not a personal fan of his although I understand the logic of taking him.

- Not as high on Schofield as some, but I've also followed him for 5 years already. I think he's an NFL talent, but not a starting one. I see him as a swing tackle with the versatility to play OG. Not a bad pick at all though.

- Love Reid and he was an absolute steal here. I question him as a 3-4 DE because that's not utilizing his skill set, but if we do play a ton of hybrid then I really like the pick because he's a disruptor as a 4-3 DT.

I like the draft so far. Really like how focused it is on the front seven because that is a huge problem are for us right now.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 03-27-2014   #1169
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109412 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Schofield could be an average starting LG, a below average starting LT, or a solid depth swing tackle.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #1170
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

The Cleveland Browns select

Adrian Hubbard - OLB - Alabama - SEC

Big tall dude at 6'6 257 pounds. Paul Kruger is vastly overpaid, so I expect him to be leaving the team in the near future. Hubbard will be behind Jabaal Sheard and Kruger for a couple of years, so he will have some time to develop and bulk up. His lack of muscle was a knock on him going into the draft, but if he can get in the weight room and work on his strength he could develop into a solid OLB in the future. This is somewhat of a project pick, but in the 5-7 rounds, that's the time to take a chance, not at #10 overall...
Old 03-27-2014   #1171
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65637 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I'm not a Texas fan, but I have plenty of friends who are so I usually watch 3-4 games a year. I don't get Mike Davis.

When I say that, I don't mean that I don't get why people like him as a prospect. I understand that. What I mean is, I don't understand him as a player. The guy will get behind a DB by 10 yards on a deep ball and make a great sideline catch and then on the next play he'll drop a 5 yard hitch. It's baffling. He's very inconsistent and only seems to excel downfield.
Davis will be a much better Pro. You have to take into consideration the horrendous QB play he was matched with throughout most of his career at Texas.
Old 03-27-2014   #1172
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Proxy pick for bah007 via PM.

The Seattle Seahawks select...

DeAndre Coleman - DE/DT - California - Pac 12

*bah007 left no explanation for his pick but it screams Red Bryant replacement at DE. Great fit and value here. The strong get stronger.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 03-27-2014   #1173
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65637 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Minus pick #2 this draft went exactly the way I had planned it and I know yall might hate it, but relax, cause I love it and could care less.

I'm just trying to crack jokes FYI, if you don't like anything or have reasons why you might do something different I'm all ears. My immediate reaction is to always become defensive, but I like being educated and learning more than I already know (or think I do) and always appreciate it later (unless you're dumb).
If that's the case then I would have probably gone with another OT than Schofield. Preferably a LT in college who is familiar with playing LT in the event if needed could play LT in Duane Brown's absence. As of right now the Texans do not have a LT backup, much less an adequate LT backup.
Old 03-27-2014   #1174
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

7 ( 147 ) Atlanta Falcons ( JCTexan ) ON THE CLOCK: 2:15pm - 6:15pm
8 ( 148 ) Minnesota Vikings ( NCTexan )
9 ( 149 ) Buffalo Bills ( Blake )
10 ( 150 ) Jacksonville Jaguars ( The Pencil Neck ) PM'ed
11 ( 151 ) Tennessee Titans ( The Pencil Neck ) PM'ed
12 ( 152 ) New York Giants ( mussop )
13 ( 153 ) St. Louis Rams ( RT22 )

- The Immortal Bo
Old 03-27-2014   #1175
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
If that's the case then I would have probably gone with another OT than Schofield. Preferably a LT in college who is familiar with playing LT in the event if needed could play LT in Duane Brown's absence. As of right now the Texans do not have a LT backup, much less an adequate LT backup.
What about Q Berry? I thought that was supposed to be one of his functions.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #1176
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

With the 147th pick the Atlanta Falcons select..

Ryan Carrethers - NT - Arkansas State - Belt

Carrethers boasts a big body that looks a lot like a lane-clogging 330 lbs. Yet the one thing that really jumps out about Carrethers is his stat sheet: how does a 330 lbs guy record over 90 tackles in one season? The answer can be found by looking at his tape against Louisiana-Lafayette, where he recorded 16 tackles in one game alone: Carrethers is a two-gapping machine. He is a brilliant read-react defender, holding up the OL and flowing to the ball (between the tackles). Carrethers would be great as a nose tackle in any two-gapping system.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #1177
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

8 ( 148 ) Minnesota Vikings ( NCTexan ) ON THE CLOCK: 2:45pm - 6:45pm
9 ( 149 ) Buffalo Bills ( Blake )
10 ( 150 ) Jacksonville Jaguars ( The Pencil Neck ) PM'ed
11 ( 151 ) Tennessee Titans ( The Pencil Neck ) PM'ed
12 ( 152 ) New York Giants ( mussop )
13 ( 153 ) St. Louis Rams ( RT22 )

- The Immortal Bo
Old 03-27-2014   #1178
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
With the 147th pick the Atlanta Falcons select..

Ryan Carrethers - NT - Arkansas State - Belt

Carrethers boasts a big body that looks a lot like a lane-clogging 330 lbs. Yet the one thing that really jumps out about Carrethers is his stat sheet: how does a 330 lbs guy record over 90 tackles in one season? The answer can be found by looking at his tape against Louisiana-Lafayette, where he recorded 16 tackles in one game alone: Carrethers is a two-gapping machine. He is a brilliant read-react defender, holding up the OL and flowing to the ball (between the tackles). Carrethers would be great as a nose tackle in any two-gapping system.
Fantastic Pick.

Like him for the Texans.
Old 03-27-2014   #1179
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 71412 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Vikings select Caleb Lavey, ILB, Oklahoma State.

I think this kid has the potential to develop into a good ILB, especially in defending the pass. This is probably a little early for him, but the Vikings really need LB help, and he will prove being worth this selection in my mind if a team gives him the chance.

Vikings draft so far:
OLB - Anthony Barr
DE - Dee Ford
QB - Zach Mettenberger
SS - Craig Loston
WR - Robert Herron
ILB - Caleb Lavey
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #1180
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Blake and the Buffalo Bills Select:

Colt Lyerla - TE - Oregon

Might be high due to character concerns, but he is a talented TE and can really help the Bills if he has his head on straight.

Jake Matthews - OT - Texas A&M
Kelvin Benjamin - WR - Florida State
Cyril Richardson - OG - Baylor
Will Clarke - DE - West Virginia
Colt Lyerla - TE - Oregon
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read