Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-23-2014   #901
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2014 Texans Talk Mock Draft SELECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
What's funny is that Nix was my top target in round 1 as I expected Jernigan and Donald to be gone. I was ecstatic when Jernigan fell that far.

Richgurg wasn't even on my board for round 2 because I thought he would be long gone.

The guy I was targeting in round 3 got taken ahead of me and Bitonio was my fall back option. I'm surprised he was even still available.
Belichick won't draft this well, nice job.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014   #902
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Just an FYI, here is a 2014 compensatory pick projection list. Pittsburgh ought to get their next pick ready, cause they are definitely getting a 3rd. I also agree with the Greg Jennings 3rd rounder, and the order of these two picks. Wallace's contract was much more expensive, so Pittsburgh should go first. We'll know for sure soon enough, but just wanted to throw that out there so the two GMs can start thinking about their picks.

Quote:
3 – Pittsburgh – Mike Wallace

3 – Green Bay – Greg Jennings

4 – San Francisco – Dashon Goldson

4 – Baltimore – Paul Kruger

4 – Detroit – Gosder Cherilus

4 – Baltimore – Dannell Ellerbe

5 – Houston – Connor Barwin

5 – New York Jets – LaRon Landry

5 – Baltimore – Cary Williams

5 – Atlanta – Brent Grimes

5 – Pittsburgh – Keenan Lewis

5 – New York Giants – Martellus Bennett

5 – Baltimore – Ed Reed

5 – Houston – Glover Quin

6 – New York Jets – Mike DeVito

6 – Green Bay – Erik Walden

6 – New York Jets – Dustin Keller

6 – New England – Patrick Chung

6 – Cincinnati – Manny Lawson

6 – St. Louis – Brandon Gibson

6 – New York Jets – Shonn Greene

7 – St. Louis – Bradley Fletcher

7 – Dallas – Mike Jenkins

7 – Cincinnati – Pat Sims

7 – St. Louis – Craig Dahl

7 – St. Louis – Rob Turner

7 – Dallas – Victor Butler

7 – Cincinnati – Bruce Gradkowski

7 – Atlanta – Will Svitek

7 – Atlanta – Christopher Owens

7 – San Diego – Shaun Phillips

7 - Dallas - Kenyon Coleman
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/r...ojections.html
Old 03-23-2014   #903
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Two extra 5ths and the 6th for Schaub is nice to have in this draft.
Old 03-23-2014   #904
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112833 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Dang. I, as the fake Ozzie Newsome of my fake Baltimore Ravens, am getting a lot of picks to play with.
Old 03-24-2014   #905
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Two extra 5ths and the 6th for Schaub is nice to have in this draft.
You really think we do anything worth talking about with them?
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #906
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
Well with Kubiak gone, we probably won't have an Alan Bonner or David Anderson type pick. Or we will find out it was Rick doing that all along...
Old 03-24-2014   #907
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Late round picks are definitly a crap shoot. But the more rolls of the dice, the better chance you have of winning.
Old 03-24-2014   #908
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
deepest draft class in years possibly ever

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #909
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Well with Kubiak gone, we probably won't have an Alan Bonner or David Anderson type pick. Or we will find out it was Rick doing that all along...
Let's hope so. I was always under the impression that the GMs owned the draft picks, but it appears that Rick snaked his way out of a firing by putting it all on Kubiak. With that said, I'm pretty confident Rick played more than enough of a role in the draft picks and he likely hasn't gotten any better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Late round picks are definitly a crap shoot. But the more rolls of the dice, the better chance you have of winning.
I hear you bro and I definitely love odds. I would be cool with giving up 3 - 5s, a 6, and a 7 for a late 3 if possible for less rolls of the dice though. I just have no trust in our talent evaluators. I am probably just bitter moreso than anything else, but damn, we have a bad history at the draft (especially after round 4 - I see 0%, and yeah, I'll argue Casey is a loser):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston..._draft_history

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
deepest draft class in years possibly ever
I hear you, probably just bitter about the people doing the selecting. We will see though. I sound like I'm complaining about a free gift right now like a child, I'll back off and hope for the best.
Old 03-24-2014   #910
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hear you bro and I definitely love odds. I would be cool with giving up 3 - 5s, a 6, and a 7 for a late 3 if possible for less rolls of the dice though. I just have no trust in our talent evaluators. I am probably just bitter moreso than anything else, but damn, we have a bad history at the draft (especially after round 4 - I see 0%, and yeah, I'll argue Casey is a loser):
If a team takes a player, keeps him through his contract, has him as a starter and he goes on to get a fat contract elsewhere and you are calling it a failed pick, it's time to reconsider your grading scale.
Old 03-24-2014   #911
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
If a team takes a player, keeps him through his contract, has him as a starter and he goes on to get a fat contract elsewhere and you are calling it a failed pick, it's time to reconsider your grading scale.
Keo is a starter.

I would call that a failed pick. Not all starters are created equal. Especially ones picked by the Texans org.

The thing I cant wait to see is if Gary was holding Rick back. It's almost time to find out where the rubber meets the road concerning Rick's job performance. (Finally)
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #912
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Keo is a starter.

I would call that a failed pick. Not all starters are created equal. Especially ones picked by the Texans org.

The thing I cant wait to see is if Gary was holding Rick back. It's almost time to find out where the rubber meets the road concerning Rick's job performance. (Finally)
Do you really think anything you say about Keo affects whether Casey counts as a good pick?

But OK, try and bullcrap around it all you want, late round picks are not failures if they contribute as much as Keo. He wasn't supposed to be the starter but filled in and by your own admission played better than you thought he would. Shiloh was picked for depth and ST and that is what he has been.

You constantly live in this manufactured world of "the Texans suck" and won't examine them against reality or the league. Tom Brady is not the standard for how good teams are able to draft.

* If you are trying to tie this in with the other conversation with that out of place "Keo is a starter" and not all starters are equal stuff you just hit air. The discussion in the other thread was about 3rd round picks. Keo as a 5th was not counted.
Old 03-24-2014   #913
TexansFTW
All Pro

Wow bro, you just came in here with rage and guns blazing. We haven't really had any aggression in almost 46 pages here.

I don't evaluate Texans on how much the Eagles love to overpay for our scraps. He went to the Eagles and played 150 offensive snaps and had 3 receptions for 30 yards.

Maybe he was more featured here, but that didn't mean he was worth it or even good. Kevin Walter saw significant playing time on this team and (in a world where this could be proven) I would lay down some cash on his ineffectiveness on just about every other team in the NFL.

You think Casey is good, I don't, that's cool. Do your thing. No need to mock me. I've been wrong before.
Old 03-24-2014   #914
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Wow bro, you just came in here with rage and guns blazing. We haven't really had any aggression in almost 46 pages here.

I don't evaluate Texans on how much the Eagles love to overpay for our scraps. He went to the Eagles and played 150 offensive snaps and had 3 receptions for 30 yards.

Maybe he was more featured here, but that didn't mean he was worth it or even good. Kevin Walter saw significant playing time on this team and (in a world where this could be proven) I would lay down some cash on his ineffectiveness on just about every other team in the NFL.

You think Casey is good, I don't, that's cool. Do your thing. No need to mock me. I've been wrong before.
Are you steelb?

I made a very simple observation to you. And I neither said nor think Casey is good. I said if you consider him a failed pick you need to reconsider your evaluation.

No idea why you bring up Walter.
Old 03-24-2014   #915
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Rage?
Old 03-24-2014   #916
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89849 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Casey was a contributor here. He wasn't a failed pick. The failing was the FO not finding a better player to supplant him. Also, notice how we wait until our guys leave in FA before we move to replace them. Meanwhile teams like BAL, SF, & NE are replacing their guys a year or two in advance.

Example, Arthur Jones was a very good player for Baltimore and he just signed a big FA deal with the Colts. What are they going to do? Oh right, they drafted Brandon Williams last year, who will step in at NT while Ngata moves back to DE.

Another example, Brandon Spikes was the starting MLB for New England and they weren't planning on re-signing him. What are they going to do? They drafted Jamie Collins in the 2nd round last year and he's now their starting SLB and Dont'a Hightower is moving to MLB to replace Spikes.

These teams have vision and a plan. They act in advance to always stay ahead. Meanwhile the Texans are just treading water trying not to drown.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #917
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Do you really think anything you say about Keo affects whether Casey counts as a good pick?

But OK, try and bullcrap around it all you want, late round picks are not failures if they contribute as much as Keo. He wasn't supposed to be the starter but filled in and by your own admission played better than you thought he would. Shiloh was picked for depth and ST and that is what he has been.

You constantly live in this manufactured world of "the Texans suck" and won't examine them against reality or the league. Tom Brady is not the standard for how good teams are able to draft.

* If you are trying to tie this in with the other conversation with that out of place "Keo is a starter" and not all starters are equal stuff you just hit air. The discussion in the other thread was about 3rd round picks. Keo as a 5th was not counted.
2-14 Do the Texans not suck at this point and time? Where the blame lies is where I think we disagree. This team is majorly lacking in the speed/talent dept. IMHO We're about to find out if Rick Smith is part of the solution or if he's part of the problem. (It's about time.)
Old 03-24-2014   #918
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Casey was a contributor here. He wasn't a failed pick. The failing was the FO not finding a better player to supplant him. Also, notice how we wait until our guys leave in FA before we move to replace them. Meanwhile teams like BAL, SF, & NE are replacing their guys a year or two in advance.

Example, Arthur Jones was a very good player for Baltimore and he just signed a big FA deal with the Colts. What are they going to do? Oh right, they drafted Brandon Williams last year, who will step in at NT while Ngata moves back to DE.

Another example, Brandon Spikes was the starting MLB for New England and they weren't planning on re-signing him. What are they going to do? They drafted Jamie Collins in the 2nd round last year and he's now their starting SLB and Dont'a Hightower is moving to MLB to replace Spikes.

These teams have vision and a plan. They act in advance to always stay ahead. Meanwhile the Texans are just treading water trying not to drown.
Now there is a very legitimate observation/criticism. I think that is much of what the Texans were attempting last draft but it hasn't panned out yet. Even not drafting any better, that approach gives teams two shots at solving a potential loss/upgrading a position. Plus it lets these picks mature for a year physically and with the system and speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
2-14 Do the Texans not suck at this point and time? Where the blame lies is where I think we disagree. This team is majorly lacking in the speed/talent dept. IMHO We're about to find out if Rick Smith is part of the solution or if he's part of the problem. (It's about time.)
You think 2-14 is some kind of garlic/talisman to ward off anyone who doesn't agree with your "the Texans suck across the board" narrative. Sorry but there is often lots of talent on teams with cruddy records. 2-14 is an initial starting point for me, not the end of the analysis.
Old 03-24-2014   #919
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Repped

This just about sums up the Texans org since their inception.

Hopefully things change soon.
Old 03-24-2014   #920
TexansFTW
All Pro

Quote:

I hear you. I wish we would stay ahead, but first we gotta get caught up to stay ahead. We got close, but failed, now we fell behind again and have too many holes to start taking another shot at the depth drafting strategy.

Soon though...

Quote:
I made a very simple observation to you. And I neither said nor think Casey is good. I said if you consider him a failed pick you need to reconsider your evaluation.
I guess I took it the wrong way. I don't remember it reading that way when I initially read it, I thought I read something different that seemed more belittling and attacking, but fair enough, I hear what you're saying.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read