Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-19-2014   #661
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96712 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2014 Texans Talk Mock Draft SELECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
For some reason I didn't like him when I was reading up on him and down graded him to a 4th rounder. He is the lowest rated player selected off my big baord.

What do you guys like about him?
IMO, he doesn't get enough hype...

PLAYER A
Size: 6-6, 272
Arm: 35
40-Yard: 4.72
10-Yard: 1.53
3-Cone: 7.20
Bench: 22
Vert: 35.5
Broad: 10-9

PLAYER B
Size: 6-5, 266
Arm: 34 (1/2)
40-Yard: 4.53
10-Yard: 1.56
3-Cone: 7.27
Bench: 21
Vert: 37.5
Broad: 10-4

PLAYER A
Tackles:178
TFL: 45.5
Sacks: 19.5
PD: 13
FF: 4

PLAYER B
Tackles: 130
TFL: 47.0
Sacks: 24.0
PD: 7
FF: 9

PLAYER A is Kareem Martin, who many people have pegged as a 2nd-3rd round pick. PLAYER B is Jadeveon Clowney, who many people have pegged as the best defensive prospect in years. I don't see a huge difference...

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #662
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96712 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

The San Francisco 49ers select....

Keith McGill - CB - Utah - Pac-12

With the departure of incumbent CBs Carlos Rogers and Tarell Brown, the 49ers are relying on in-house CBs Chris Culliver and Tramaine Brock to start. However, they need a 3rd CB to man the outside in Nickel packages when Brock shifts down to the slot. My original intention was to draft Kyle Fuller to compete for a starting job, but he was snatched up in front of me in the 1st round (I grudgingly applaud New Orleans for that great pick) and I had to change tack. In the real draft, they have the ammunition to trade up to make sure they get Fuller just like they did with Eric Reid last year.

SF runs a lot of press man and McGill certainly has the body type to excel as a press corner. He needs technique work in press coverage and some overall development and refinement, but I think he has the requisite skills to play CB in the NFL. He will compete with the newly signed Chris Cook and recently re-signed Eric Wright for the #3 CB job.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 03-19-2014   #663
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

25(57) San Diego Chargers (Texan4Ever) ON THE CLOCK: 7am - 11am

26(58) New Orleans Saints (Coon) ON DECK
27(59) Indianapolis Colts (Texian)
28(60) Carolina Panthers (Bah007)
29(61) San Francisco 49ers (WolverineFan)
30(62) New England Patriots (WolverineFan)
31(63) Denver Broncos (Blake)
32(64) Seattle Seahawks (Bah007)

- The Immortal Bo
Old 03-19-2014   #664
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
The San Francisco 49ers select....

Keith McGill - CB - Utah - Pac-12

With the departure of incumbent CBs Carlos Rogers and Tarell Brown, the 49ers are relying on in-house CBs Chris Culliver and Tramaine Brock to start. However, they need a 3rd CB to man the outside in Nickel packages when Brock shifts down to the slot. My original intention was to draft Kyle Fuller to compete for a starting job, but he was snatched up in front of me in the 1st round (I grudgingly applaud New Orleans for that great pick) and I had to change tack. In the real draft, they have the ammunition to trade up to make sure they get Fuller just like they did with Eric Reid last year.

SF runs a lot of press man and McGill certainly has the body type to excel as a press corner. He needs technique work in press coverage and some overall development and refinement, but I think he has the requisite skills to play CB in the NFL. He will compete with the newly signed Chris Cook and recently re-signed Eric Wright for the #3 CB job.
This was a guy I was looking at for one of my teams. He reminds me of Darius Slay from last yrs draft. Hopefully he's more productive.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #665
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
This was a guy I was looking at for one of my teams. He reminds me of Darius Slay from last yrs draft. Hopefully he's more productive.
He definitely needs some work but unlike some of the other "big CBs" in this draft I think he actually has a future at the position.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 03-19-2014   #666
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
You need to check the numbers again. Cutting Hartline next season saves the Dolphins over 7M. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dol...rian-hartline/. Zero dead money after this season. His deal was for only 12.5M guaranteed.

As for all the other stuff you said, I'm not sure how that applies. If Robinson is a better #2, Hartline will play the slot. He's better at it than Robinson would be anyway IMO. Most likely, they'd just cut him though as they will need to money to make a few key resignings.

Edit: actually spotrac looks to be wrong here, should have run the numbers myself. Even still, it would be worth cutting him as he isn't worth 7+M and they'll need the money. 3M or so isn't much for one year but when you factor in the 7+M for two more years, he isn't worth it.
Well when Hartline is still on that team in 2015, they don't use a top 2 pick on a WR, and Hartline never plays the slot until the final days of his career I guess we will see.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #667
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
Well when Hartline is still on that team in 2015, they don't use a top 2 pick on a WR, and Hartline never plays the slot until the final days of his career I guess we will see.
That very well could happen, I was just giving my opinion on what I think would be best for them after a WR was drafted by Miami here in this mock. It makes a lot of sense to me.

They've got Pouncey, Charles Clay, Odrick and Matt Moore to resign or make a decision on in 2015 and they are pretty up against it in that year as is.

WolverineFan, you took one of my guys for the Bucs!
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-20-2014   #668
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123160 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
I'm not Dennis Hickey. My ideas for the Fins are likely to be different than his, and I see Hartline as an unnecessary expenditure. You'll have to excuse me if I find the idea of paying Hartline his current salary for 10 career touchdowns a bit dumb. There's a chance Hickey might find it dumb too, given it was a Jeff Ireland contract.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #669
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
IMO, he doesn't get enough hype...

PLAYER A
Size: 6-6, 272
Arm: 35
40-Yard: 4.72
10-Yard: 1.53
3-Cone: 7.20
Bench: 22
Vert: 35.5
Broad: 10-9

PLAYER B
Size: 6-5, 266
Arm: 34 (1/2)
40-Yard: 4.53
10-Yard: 1.56
3-Cone: 7.27
Bench: 21
Vert: 37.5
Broad: 10-4

PLAYER A
Tackles:178
TFL: 45.5
Sacks: 19.5
PD: 13
FF: 4

PLAYER B
Tackles: 130
TFL: 47.0
Sacks: 24.0
PD: 7
FF: 9

PLAYER A is Kareem Martin, who many people have pegged as a 2nd-3rd round pick. PLAYER B is Jadeveon Clowney, who many people have pegged as the best defensive prospect in years. I don't see a huge difference...
I really like Martin.
Old 03-20-2014   #670
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I always like doing these because I always learn about some players that I wouldn't have been aware of otherwise.

Martin's one of those guys. He was not on my radar at all.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #671
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I always like doing these because I always learn about some players that I wouldn't have been aware of otherwise.

Martin's one of those guys. He was not on my radar at all.
Yeah, definitely good to hear others takes on players, you might have misjudged.
Old 03-20-2014   #672
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Just want to point out that Tampa does have a 3rd rounder (#69) but not a 4th rounder. The draft order shows that the Jets have it.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #673
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Just want to point out that Tampa does have a 3rd rounder (#69) but not a 4th rounder. The draft order shows that the Jets have it.
I will correct. NFL.com showed that the Jets owened it, because at the time they did. The Revis release changes it from a 3rd to a 4th. Thanks for the heads up.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #674
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks to all that are keeping this thing moving. The selection list is up to date.

Via Proxy, Texan4Ever and the San Diego Chargers select:

Jeremiah Attaochu - LB - Georgia Tech
Old 03-20-2014   #675
Blake
MMQB

26(58) New Orleans Saints (Coon) ON THE CLOCK 7:30AM
27(59) Indianapolis Colts (Texian) GET READY
28(60) Carolina Panthers (Bah007) GET READY
29(61) San Francisco 49ers (WolverineFan) GET READY
30(62) New England Patriots (WolverineFan) GET READY
31(63) Denver Broncos (Blake) GET READY
32(64) Seattle Seahawks (Bah007) GET READY

The end of round 2 should come quick since we have duplicate members picking. So people at the top of round 3 need to get their boards ready. Thanks.

On a side note, if anyone is wanting to join, or add a team, the Jets are open.
Old 03-20-2014   #676
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm way higher on Martin than the consensus. I've got him as a late first round talent going to Denver at #31 in my mock. He's not a finished product yet but I have a hard time believing that I'm the only one who rates him that high.

On another note, I've seen Mewhort rated highly in some places so I get the pick for the Ravens. But I've got him rated as a 6th round talent. IMO, best case scenario he's a career backup at RT or a below average starter at LG. Never been impressed with him. The name on the front of his jersey is doing him a lot of favors.

That doesn't mean it's a bad pick. I just think it's interesting how viewpoints can differ so drastically.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #677
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I'm way higher on Martin than the consensus. I've got him as a late first round talent going to Denver at #31 in my mock. He's not a finished product yet but I have a hard time believing that I'm the only one who rates him that high.

On another note, I've seen Mewhort rated highly in some places so I get the pick for the Ravens. But I've got him rated as a 6th round talent. IMO, best case scenario he's a career backup at RT or a below average starter at LG. Never been impressed with him. The name on the front of his jersey is doing him a lot of favors.

That doesn't mean it's a bad pick. I just think it's interesting how viewpoints can differ so drastically.
I've got Martin rated as a 3rd rder. He's got the talent to become a 1st rder. Hopefully he puts it all together and becomes the player that his talent level says he can be.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #678
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Martin is one of those guys that I could have just whiffed big or gotten a steal. It's a position a need and I personally (with the risk and everything) have him rated around there on my big board. I've seen him all over the place though.

From watching him in person he definitely flashes high level talent but also isn't completely consistent yet. I don't think he's going to be the best rookie, but in a few years I think he'll be one of the better edge rushers in the league.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #679
coon
Veteran

Rep Power: 4738 coon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought that Crichton might fall to me but he didn't, so I will go another direction. Sproles is in Philly, Pierre Thomas is getting old, and Mark Ingram just plain sucks. With that said....
The New Orleans Saints select the best back in the draft
Bishop Sankey- RB- Washington
coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #680
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I PM'd Texian, he's around the forum on another thread. Upcoming picks:

27(59) Indianapolis Colts (Texian)
28(60) Carolina Panthers (Bah007)
29(61) San Francisco 49ers (WolverineFan)
30(62) New England Patriots (WolverineFan)
31(63) Denver Broncos (Blake)
32(64) Seattle Seahawks (Bah007)

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read