Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-19-2014   #641
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2014 Texans Talk Mock Draft SELECTION

Hey if anyone is in need of a slot receiver, Andrew Hawkins is on the trading block! He's real nice, and he does flips sometimes to get your team on the ESPN Top 10 list! Anyone want him?

Anyone?

Bueller?
Old 03-19-2014   #642
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Ours does. And the reason we have visions of Wes Welker is because this is the offense that Welker made his name in.
I was talking about Miami. And we will see. I didn't exactly see any "slot" WRs setting the world on fire in Penn State. Let's not give BOB too much credit for Tom Brady and New England's success. Josh McD brought in Welker and helped him to his first two 100/1000 yard seasons.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #643
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112833 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
Untrue. They would incur $4.2 MM dead money. He was JUST signed to a 5/30 MM deal. That's not slot WR money, he's not playing slot and he is not being cut next year.

There is a modern day obsession with slot WRs due to the emergence of some really great WRs like Welker, Cruz, and a few others, but many offenses don't really support a slot WR. Bill Lazor is the new OC in Miami, coming from Philly and Chip Kelly. Their offense featured a "slot" WR in Jason Avant having ~800 offensive snaps (more than Victor Cruz). Avant ended the year with like 40/450.

The obsession with slot WRs has just gone out of control. People were obsessing with the possibilities of Keshawn Martin preseason and I told them all that Garrett Graham would be the true beneficiary of the slot WR role and they damn near laughed me out of the thread because they had this vision of Wes Welker in their heads...
Correct me if I'm wrong (not a capologist), but he was paid a 7 million signing bonus. He's guaranteed 12.5 million, so that leaves 5.5 million. Calculate in his salary from this year and the salary he'll be paid next year, and doesn't that finish off his guaranteed money? Could the Dolphins not cut him after next season without incurring dead money?
Old 03-19-2014   #644
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Hey if anyone is in need of a slot receiver, Andrew Hawkins is on the trading block! He's real nice, and he does flips sometimes to get your team on the ESPN Top 10 list! Anyone want him?

Anyone?

Bueller?
Browns are stuck with him. Once they inked them I totally my buddy from Cleveland the Bengals weren't matching and the Browns just threw that money away.
Old 03-19-2014   #645
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Untrue. They would incur $4.2 MM dead money. He was JUST signed to a 5/30 MM deal. That's not slot WR money, he's not playing slot and he is not being cut next year.

There is a modern day obsession with slot WRs due to the emergence of some really great WRs like Welker, Cruz, and a few others, but many offenses don't really support a slot WR. Bill Lazor is the new OC in Miami, coming from Philly and Chip Kelly. Their offense featured a "slot" WR in Jason Avant having ~800 offensive snaps (more than Victor Cruz). Avant ended the year with like 40/450.

The obsession with slot WRs has just gone out of control. People were obsessing with the possibilities of Keshawn Martin preseason and I told them all that Garrett Graham would be the true beneficiary of the slot WR role and they damn near laughed me out of the thread because they had this vision of Wes Welker in their heads...
Probably not this yr and certainly not with Martin. But I bet this changes very quickly in BOB's Pats style offense. I think the perfect slot WR may already be on the roster. (Cruse)
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #646
TexansFTW
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong (not a capologist), but he was paid a 7 million signing bonus. He's guaranteed 12.5 million, so that leaves 5.5 million. Calculate in his salary from this year and the salary he'll be paid next year, and doesn't that finish off his guaranteed money? Could the Dolphins not cut him after next season without incurring dead money?
Just go to www.overthecap.com and type in a name if you have any questions. They do all the work for you:

http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Na...&Team=Dolphins
Old 03-19-2014   #647
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Spreadsheet and pick thread are updated now.

I PM'd and emailed NCTexan that he is on the clock.
Old 03-19-2014   #648
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112833 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just go to www.overthecap.com and type in a name if you have any questions. They do all the work for you:

So after 2014, they can cut him and save 3 million against the cap, according to this website.
Old 03-19-2014   #649
TexansFTW
All Pro

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Probably not this yr and certainly not with Martin. But I bet this changes very quickly in BOB's Pats style offense. I think the perfect slot WR may already be on the roster. (Cruse)
And that's certainly your right and I respect your opinion. I will also just say I worry Cruse will never amount to anything on this team and will be cut soon. If he can't make a mark on STs his days in this league and especially the Texans are numbered.
Old 03-19-2014   #650
TexansFTW
All Pro

Quote:
So after 2014, they can cut him and save 3 million against the cap, according to this website.
Yeah, $7.3 MM year contract cap hit, but if they cut it's a $4.2 MM dead money hit. Therefore a $3 MM savings. Good luck finding a WR as capable as Hartline for $3 MM unless you are blowing a 2nd round pick when you got bigger holes elsewhere.

Just an added FYI, the way that signing bonus' work is they are spread through the life of the contract. For ex. 4 year deal with an $8 MM signing bonus means 8/4= $2 MM per year in that signing bonus is spread throughout in each year of the contract. Therefore after year 1, you cut the person you incur a $6 MM cap hit in dead money unless you get fancy w/ June 1st cuts, etc.
Old 03-19-2014   #651
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And that's certainly your right and I respect your opinion. I will also just say I worry Cruse will never amount to anything on this team and will be cut soon. If he can't make a mark on STs his days in this league and especially the Texans are numbered.
You're probably right about Cruse. But I will say that Cruse impressed me last preseason more than Martin ever has.
Old 03-19-2014   #652
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You need to check the numbers again. Cutting Hartline next season saves the Dolphins over 7M. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dol...rian-hartline/. Zero dead money after this season. His deal was for only 12.5M guaranteed.

As for all the other stuff you said, I'm not sure how that applies. If Robinson is a better #2, Hartline will play the slot. He's better at it than Robinson would be anyway IMO. Most likely, they'd just cut him though as they will need to money to make a few key resignings.

Edit: actually spotrac looks to be wrong here, should have run the numbers myself. Even still, it would be worth cutting him as he isn't worth 7+M and they'll need the money. 3M or so isn't much for one year but when you factor in the 7+M for two more years, he isn't worth it.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #653
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

I kinda like Rishard Matthews as a slot WR for the Dolphins. That guy is really talented and just starting to come into his own.
Old 03-19-2014   #654
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I kinda like Rishard Matthews as a slot WR for the Dolphins. That guy is really talented and just starting to come into his own.
and is paid a lot less than Hartline...
Old 03-19-2014   #655
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Bengals select Kareem Martin, DE, UNC.

Fits a position of need and is the best left DE on my board and not far off from here on my big board. Though I've seen him ranked lower.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #656
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
Bengals select Kareem Martin, DE, UNC.

Fits a position of need and is the best left DE on my board and not far off from here on my big board. Though I've seen him ranked lower.
Same, and I thought he'd be a steal at lower positions, but here or early 3rd is where he should be going in accordance with his talent.

Also never hurts to select a kid from your university
Old 03-19-2014   #657
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm liking a ton of these drafts.
Old 03-19-2014   #658
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Same, and I thought he'd be a steal at lower positions, but here or early 3rd is where he should be going in accordance with his talent.

Also never hurts to select a kid from your university
For some reason I didn't like him when I was reading up on him and down graded him to a 4th rounder. He is the lowest rated player selected off my big baord.

What do you guys like about him?
Old 03-19-2014   #659
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
For some reason I didn't like him when I was reading up on him and down graded him to a 4th rounder. He is the lowest rated player selected off my big baord.

Well, he's big and strong. He can move around a bit on the line on different downs because of it, which is nice. I didn't see a whole lot of UNC this year, only a few games, but I liked what I saw. He's a nice replacement for Johnson. They are pretty similar.
Old 03-19-2014   #660
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post

Length, decent off the snap, strength at initial contact and good ability to shoot the gap. 4-3 run-stopping end more than a pass rusher, but improving use of hands and developing pass rush moves would turn him into a very fine 4-3 all around end. Wouldn't expect him to be a sack machine, but I can see him with good TFL and stifling the run.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read